X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vduniec View Post
    .....Roll is a little sluggish at factory settings but provides handling.....
    I flew mine a couple times today, for the first time with the empennage actually firmly attached to the plane. This turns out to be a big improvement. First flight was a boring trim flight, but on the second one I did a bit more. Both landings were smoother than gravy on grits.

Yes roll is sluggish (especially at sane throws), but that is to be expected for a twin - all that weight outboard gives it a very high moment of inertia around the roll axis.

I also experienced "premature takeoffulation" on some earlier flights due to our bumpy field. I tried a bit of down elevator on takeoff today, and it went fine. But I also knew where the bumps were and avoided them, which probably had the bigger effect.

Now that I got this trimmed up and could throw it around a little, this plane is faster than I expected. It really screams by on a fast pass with those twin 90's. I guess it isn't any faster than my Freewing Avanti, but it is significantly heavier and noisier, which makes it feel fast. It's good fun!

Several people asked if that was the original paint, or if a neon lizard had vomited on my plane. Oh well....flight over beauty.

Comment

maidened my ME-262 today....
      yes she behaved quite predictable and stable
      my impressions she flies more than FW Avanti than FW Phantom both 6s

I set up as per factory and manual specifications

For 1st flight of 3:30 min both Fans took only 2.6Ah
      uses 2x2s 1.8 in the front and 2x6s 5.0 25C w/700gr. each behind
      I am happy with it

Harald
      will try upload videos but struggle with seize

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_104446.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	305830Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_104616.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	305831

Comment

Name:	20210326_103619_1.gif
Views:	1000
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	305834

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            maidened my ME-262 today....
            Congratulations! This is a really great plane, I am also surprised how fast it is on only 6S. It is quite aerobatic, but also slows down well for landing. Your battery placement is interesting, I guess that is a 1800mah 2S receiver battery at the front? I use two Rx batteries, one of them 800mah and the other 1300mah. I find I always have to discharge them when I get home, they hardly drop at all in voltage during several flights.

Comment

i use 2 nos. identical 2s 1.8 Ah for control
              there are stacked one on the other

Comment

I had today my flights 2, 3 and 4
                could improve flight time to 5 to 6 minutes with new zippys 6.2, weight of 890grams each, no issue
                rolls, Immelmann and loops are great, 1st try on edge knife
                landings with full flaps and brakes are fine
                will only empty the sticky oil in the legs
                as they harden far too much at temperatures of 10 degC
                btw I could not change the position lights from permanent to flashing or remote switchable, any advise?
                I replaced the pilot to a veteran of WW2 from cellar found

Name:	20210408_161049.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	307895Click image for larger version

Name:	20210408_174358.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	307896

Comment

I added some scale parts and cockpit. The pilot is from Warbird Pilots and has the servo-actuated head. The gunsight and various other cockpit pieces are 3d printed in resin.

Name:	P5.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	313064

Comment

Looks cool, Where did you get the3d files for the cockpit and revi gunsight? I am remodeling mine to a JAAF Ki-201 with Camo scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
                      Looks cool, Where did you get the3d files for the cockpit and revi gunsight? I am remodeling mine to a JAAF Ki-201 with Camo scheme.
                      The main part of the cockpit is from an ESM SBD dauntless. A couple smaller subpanels, the gunsight, and the RDF antenna I made in Fusion 360. I posted STLs of the antenna and the gunsight:
                      This is a somewhat simplified model of a Revi 16D gunsight, appropriate for several Luftwaffe aircraft of WW2. The real one has two transparent plates, but I thought that would be a bit cluttered at this scale, so this just has one glass plate.

This is a WW2 German RDF antenna. It is specifically designed to fit the HSD 1890mm Me-262 Radio Control model, but could work for others. For this 1890mm span model the antenna file here should be sized up by a factor of 1.24x for printing. Since that model is 1:6.6 scale, and the antenna needs to be sized up by 1.24x to fit, the native scale of the STL File is about 1:8.2. Note that it has a small curvature to match the curvature of the fuselage, and it also slopes down a little at the back to match the fact that the fuse it tapering toward the empennage. These slopes and curvatures might not be suitable for other planes. Note that there is a great picture of this antenna on the Me-262 of the Deutsches Museum (currently at Oberschleissheim) at 14:06 in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrH2duoxsOs&t=846s The little tab on the bottom is to anchor it into the foam. I just pressed it in, then took a knife and cut away the excess foam from the dent. After that it sits flush and can be glued on easily. EDIT: I uploaded a different version "r4" which I think is better. The antenna tilts relative to the base, so that the base can be flush with the fuse and uniformly thick. In r3, the base is horizontal so that it actually gets thicker at the back to compensate for the down-slope of the fuse.

The gunsight has a flaw that I might get around to fixing this weekend....I didn't leave room for the glass, so you can see on my plane the glass is on the outside of the frame (that was not my original plan, but I was too lazy to fix the design and re-print it).

Do you have a resin printer? I don't know if these would print well on FDM. Anyway, I see you are in San Diego, if you want any of these little pieces I could print them for you.

Comment

Short video of some flights

First flights of an HSD twin 90mm EDF. Batteries are 6S x 2 x 5000mAh. Pilot is from WarbirdPilots, 10" figure. Cockpit details are printed in resin. Au...

Comment

need for strengthening the landing gear

after 15 flights the plastic bolts cant withstand the landing forces

despite no hard landings on grass and shortening the springs the plastic design glued to the foam is not capable to guide the forces permanently to the upper wing

Name:	20210820_083353.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	322514Click image for larger version

Name:	20210820_083436.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	322515Click image for larger version

Name:	20210820_084616.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	322516

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                            need for strengthening the landing gear
                            I notice the same weakness. My first one, I landed hard and the gear punched out the top of the wing, just like yours. The second one, I have had zero hard landings, but still I see a slight bulge there.

On my first one, it was an easy repair. I glued it back and put two small carbon rods in to reinforce. I don't have a picture and am out of town so I can't take one, but I indicate what I mean by drawing on your photo. The orange arrows indicate the direction I inserted the rods, and the blue lines are the approximate position of the rods. I drilled it with about 3/32 bit, then pushed in a carbon fiber rod covered with epoxy. Of course before that I had already epoxied all the pieces back together (the cover that goes on top of the wing, etc.). I thought these two rods should add a lot of strength if they touch the plastic posts and then continue horizontally into the wing.

Name:	image_74259_lines.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	322519

Comment

thanks for good idea
                              I will consider carbon fibre rods

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                                OK, I finally figured out why this plane was so difficult to control. The empennage is secured by two plastic posts with metal inserts, and an M3x10 screw goes into the metal insert. My screw had pulled the insert right out of the post, so the post was free to move up and down. This meant the empennage was not really attached, and could rotate about 5 degrees up and down. That's why I always needed huge elevator trim changes, even in mid-flight.

In retrospect, I’m lucky to still have the plane….the empennage could have just fallen off.

Below are pictures of a normal post + insert, and then the empty post, and the fallen-out insert. I lined the inside of the vacant post with epoxy and pushed the insert back in.

Anyway, I strongly suggest that everyone should be extra careful putting the empennage on. For example the empennage’s front post goes into a foam hole, and it is a pretty tight fit. I thought the screw would pull the post into the hole, but apparently what happened instead is that the screw pulled the insert out.

Name:	inserthole.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	301747Click image for larger version

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	301748Click image for larger version

Name:	insert.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	301749
                                this is very important detail

and has probably resulted in my 1st. crash

the rudder and the elevators are secured by 2 nos. M3 screws, but the little insert made of brass is just pressed inside the plastic tube, see pic

Name:	IMG-20211121-WA0000.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	330524

I will change this to a solid nut with big washer for pull relief on top of the plastic tube, same I did on the main gears

Comment

before flight

Comment

Name:	20211122_104044.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	330646

Comment

todays 3 lovely flight
                                      Attached Files

Comment

If anyone is interested i have fitted machine guns and sound and 2 x bombs/release on my ME262
                                        .. The Video can be found on ( face-book HSDJETSUK & IRELAND) Have a look guys and let me know what you think.
                                        Brian

Comment

had a 10 minutes flight, consumption 5Ah, only Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230819-WA0002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	384584Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230819-WA0000.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	384585

Comment

Working...
                                          X