Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me which Hitec servos fit the Freewing 9g servo pockets ? Hopefully with little, or no modification...... If such a servo exists. With metal gears ?

Comment

• Originally posted by EDF_Lover View Post
      Wow. I never thought a turbine mod. Have you flown the airframe with the electric fan? If I had to guess, you are going to get about 200 kph with that thrust. And, the ailerons are so large and effective, roll rates are going to be crazy high. So my advice, not that you are asking, would be to have high elevator rates for takeoff (80%?) but keep the aileron rates in the 40% range. Be prepared for a decent roll, but extreme nose high climb the second it lifts off.

I also learned a lot about its high alpha characteristics by spending by spending time at about 25 meters of altitude trying to simply fly as slow as I could. That’s very important for landing. It rolls more than it stalls, of course until it stalls! Ie it remains controllable longer than you think it will, but when it does break, it’s heavy and takes a lot of altitude to recover.
      I have done many Freewing jets mods to micro turbine, and all have worked very well. Generally, a small turbine will not produce much more thrust than the EDF that it replaces, except in the case of the X45 , which is a game changer. This little powerhouse is smaller than my P20, but produces 11lbs of thrust, so I have de-rated it through the ECU software to about P20 power. I have read this thread and have adjusted all my rates as suggested, so expect a good maiden flight. One other recent conversion that I have done, was my F14 with a K30 in it, lot's of fun, and it sounds great in the air!! Here is a small video of doing some engine run tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXbpkuizjs

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
        Can anyone tell me which Hitec servos fit the Freewing 9g servo pockets ? Hopefully with little, or no modification...... If such a servo exists. With metal gears ?
        I have used these before, great little servo! PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Size Category: Minis and Micros Type: Digital Application: 15-25 size aircraft Torque: 35 oz-in (2.5kg-cm) @ 4.8V; 42 oz-in (3.0kg-cm) @ 6.0V Speed: 0.14 sec/60° @ 4.8V; 0.11 sec/60° @ 6.0V Length: 1.1 in (28.0mm) Width: 0.5 in (12.7mm) Height: 1.07 in (27.4mm) Weight: 0.7 oz (20g) Bushing Or Bearing: Bushing Motor Type: 5-pole ferrite Connector Type: Z connector Gear Type: Metal
        https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odID=SPMSA4020

Comment

• I would like to use Hitec if possible. on another note, I just ordered the Lightburner for this jet.... can't wait to try that out !

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
            I would like to use Hitec if possible. on another note, I just ordered the Lightburner for this jet.... can't wait to try that out !
            Hitec do have a drop-in, but they are expensive. The Dualsky servos are great value, and have very similar specs and my local hobby shop sells both Hitec and Dualsky, so I use a mix of both when I replace a standard servo that comes in a Freewing jet.

Considered one of the most powerful servos in the micro class, the HS-65 is offered with a choice of “shock resistant” Metal or “zero wear” Karbonite gears. The 65 series features a top-ball bearing for long life and positive centering, 31 ounces/inches of power at 6 volts and is an excellent choice for higher performance micro helicopters, electric park flyers, and 1/18 scale cars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussie1 View Post

I have done many Freewing jets mods to micro turbine, and all have worked very well. Generally, a small turbine will not produce much more thrust than the EDF that it replaces, except in the case of the X45 , which is a game changer. This little powerhouse is smaller than my P20, but produces 11lbs of thrust, so I have de-rated it through the ECU software to about P20 power. I have read this thread and have adjusted all my rates as suggested, so expect a good maiden flight. One other recent conversion that I have done, was my F14 with a K30 in it, lot's of fun, and it sounds great in the air!! Here is a small video of doing some engine run tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXbpkuizjs
              Very cool!!

Comment

•  

Comment

• Excellent emergency landing sir. Looks like there was no damage done.

Comment

• I flew the F35 today with the Admiral 600SP gyro turned on at about 9:00 position (pots) and it helps t slow speeds giving it the locked in feeling. But to be honest I think this jet feels locked in without the gyro. Its so much fun to fly and now with the gyro, high alpha landings are easier. photo showing the receiver installation post # 480

If you have the Admiral 600SP installed in your plane.... give it a try

Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post
                      I flew the F35 today with the Admiral 600SP gyro turned on at about 9:00 position (pots) and it helps t slow speeds giving it the locked in feeling. But to be honest I think this jet feels locked in without the gyro. Its so much fun to fly and now with the gyro, high alpha landings are easier. photo showing the receiver installation post # 480

If you have the Admiral 600SP installed in your plane.... give it a try

Rich
                      "Back to the Future"?

Comment

• Almost ready for maiden. waiting for Callie graphics for the verticals, and the light burner.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          "Back to the Future"?
                          Yup

Comment

• Guys, would anyone know what a colour matching paint for the dark grey is on the F35? Preferably a Taminya colour code. Thanks!

Comment

• OK the second flight really didn't get off the ground it clipped the long grass along the edge of the strip and broke the elevator hinge and somehow we have been unable to find the nose cone so I have ordered new parts for them and I have also ordered a frsky S6R gyro receiver will be interesting as I have NEVER used one EVER before don't know how to set it up even we will see Ha Ha

Comment

• Hi rsunleader .You be fine setting up the gyro but make sure you have it switch off when you take off then gain height ,then switch it on the gyro That is what I did and good job to ,I had the aileron switch on the wrong way and it went into a horrible spin ,just managed to switch the gyro of before it came in contact with mother earth and saved the model .Reset the gyro correctly and it fly a treat now .Alpha landing are a so easy with the gyro on

Comment

• Got the lightburner and Callie graphics today !
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• I'm looking for guidance with CG. I'm having trouble taking off from grass and I have had a few keyboard warriors tell me the CG is to far forward. When I asked them specific questions they admit they don't have this plane but it is "common knowledge". Geezzz

I'm in Kansas City which is 1000 feet above sea level and it is August, so it is hot. I know I need to be trying this on fresh cut grass on cooler days. I am using the Admiral 6S 4000 packs and I balanced at the forward edge of the plastic bit on the bottom of the wing as shown in earlier posts. I balanced right side up with the gear down.

Question 1 - Anything wrong with my balance technique?

Question 2 - How far back can I push the CG without getting in trouble with flight stability?

Any and all help with be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob DeGood

Comment

• Originally posted by fastforward View Post
                                      I'm looking for guidance with CG. I'm having trouble taking off from grass and I have had a few keyboard warriors tell me the CG is to far forward. When I asked them specific questions they admit they don't have this plane but it is "common knowledge". Geezzz

I'm in Kansas City which is 1000 feet above sea level and it is August, so it is hot. I know I need to be trying this on fresh cut grass on cooler days. I am using the Admiral 6S 4000 packs and I balanced at the forward edge of the plastic bit on the bottom of the wing as shown in earlier posts. I balanced right side up with the gear down.

Question 1 - Anything wrong with my balance technique?

Question 2 - How far back can I push the CG without getting in trouble with flight stability?

Any and all help with be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob DeGood
                                      "Keyboard warriors" and "Armchair aeronautical engineers" - gotta love 'em. I do have this plane and I have given up taking off from grass. I'm using a Admiral 4000 and a Graphene 3000, both of which weigh very close to each other. I balance upside down with gear up. I have my own rationale for doing it this way. Others don't like this and have their own reasons for doing it their way. I've always done this way and shall continue to do so. I've got the battery shoved back about 15mm further aft than what is stated in the "revised" addendum of the manual. Below you can see the added revision that was stuck over top of that page in my manual. That's what I started with but tried moving it aft for grass. Still no luck on fairly plush grass. There's just too much resistance and the plane reaches its terminal velocity and stays at that speed for the whole length of the runway. It's just not fast enough to take off and that's with elevators on high rates.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3445.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	210077

Here is the latest information provided by Motion RC in the support section of the product page:

Click image for larger version  Name:	f-35v3cg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.1 KB ID:	210079

As you can see, the revised CG from my manual and what's updated on the product page are very close. Unless your grass is like a golf green or is mowed prairie stubble, think you'll find it hopeless to take off. I only fly this plane now from a smooth surface (GeoTex).
                                      If you've seen Stuart's video of his plane's mod's and his grass field, you'll also notice that his field is not very plush. I could have taken off at my old grass field, which was mowed prairie stubble - very rough and bouncy but much less resistance. In fact, the roughness and bumps would help bounce a plane like this into the air. I have the F-16 with the same power system as this plane and it could take off from that old field. I can't take off from the new grass field.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• May I suggest trying a bungee launch instead of taking of from grass? Works like a charme and is a safe method.

I do have the same problem as the field of my club only has a grass runway which is not suitable for takeoffs of jets. So I do bungee launches and belly landings.

Regarding the CG, I do have it close to the recommend position (a little bit forward) shown in the previous post using a SLS 6S 5000 mAh battery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quax View Post
                                          May I suggest trying a bungee launch instead of taking of from grass? Works like a charme and is a safe method.

I do have the same problem as the field of my club only has a grass runway which is not suitable for takeoffs of jets. So I do bungee launches and belly landings.

Regarding the CG, I do have it close to the recommend position (a little bit forward) shown in the previous post using a SLS 6S 5000 mAh battery.
                                          Can you put up a picture of your bungee set-up one of these days? I've thought about this myself for a few of my "more difficult to grass take off" planes. However, my car is usually pretty full already with planes to find another spot to put all the gear required for this apparatus. Additionally, the grass field I fly at isn't convenient to leave a bungee set up on the runway as it interferes with others using it. The thought of carrying, assembling, installing, disassembling and packing it away in the car again each time, just turned me off the whole idea. I've even thought of modifying a spear gun for launching a couple of my planes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X