Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I successfully maidened mine today. Love the way this thing handles. Rolls were real fast but didn’t catch me off guard. Glides forever. Take off roll wasn’t too bad either. I landed with the wheels up in snow and it was perfectly fine. Can’t wait for the next flight. What an awesome airplane!

Comment

• Hi All,
      Setting up my F-35 and have a couple questions. I haven't read all 601 posts yet :) Page 7 of the manual calls the elevator "elevator" and "flaps". There's a table of throws with headings for Ailerons, Rudder and a column without a heading. I would assume those are the throws for the elevator, but don't want to assume on such a critical surface :) Can someone confirm the elevator throws are 13 mm low rate and 15 mm high?

I bought these batteries for another plane and I'm wondering if they would be too heavy for the F-35? I couldn't find a max flying weight in the manual. They physically fit but they are 39.5 oz (1120 g.). Does anyone have info whether that's too much weight?

Lastly, it looks like the elevator throws are measured at the front of the elevator. I haven't measured that way before. Is there a way to attach a throw meter, or is there another trick to measuring?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by AcesHIgh View Post
        Hi All,
        Setting up my F-35 and have a couple questions. I haven't read all 601 posts yet :) Page 7 of the manual calls the elevator "elevator" and "flaps". There's a table of throws with headings for Ailerons, Rudder and a column without a heading. I would assume those are the throws for the elevator, but don't want to assume on such a critical surface :) Can someone confirm the elevator throws are 13 mm low rate and 15 mm high?

I bought these batteries for another plane and I'm wondering if they would be too heavy for the F-35? I couldn't find a max flying weight in the manual. They physically fit but they are 39.5 oz (1120 g.). Does anyone have info whether that's too much weight?

Lastly, it looks like the elevator throws are measured at the front of the elevator. I haven't measured that way before. Is there a way to attach a throw meter, or is there another trick to measuring?

Thanks in advance!
        That battery seems incredibly heavy for this plane. I fly mine on a lipo that weighs 642g. Personally, I wouldn't fly it on that lipo.

I measure the elevator with a ruler put up next the the fuse right in front of the elevator.

Also... I don't remember the actual amounts since I set up my F35 a while ago. But I do remember putting a bunch of elevator travel in it but also VERY VERY VERY little aileron travel. Too much aileron and you'll have your hands full for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
          That battery seems incredibly heavy for this plane. I fly mine on a lipo that weighs 642g. Personally, I wouldn't fly it on that lipo.
          I measure the elevator with a ruler put up next the the fuse right in front of the elevator.
          Also... I don't remember the actual amounts since I set up my F35 a while ago. But I do remember putting a bunch of elevator travel in it but also VERY VERY VERY little aileron travel. Too much aileron and you'll have your hands full for sure!
          AcesHigh--I completely agree with JamesonC--I would recommend not even thinking to attempt to fly that battery on your F-35. I fly exclusively Hobbystar 4600s (570g) and Hobbystar 4200s (515g) in my F-35. RCJuice has weekly sales and you can usually get one of these at 20% off. They both are extremely light compared to other choices and perform great in 70mm EDFs.

As far as throws go, I just measured mine and here they are:
          • ELEVATOR - High=18mm - Low=16mm. That gives you plenty of horizontal stab (elevator) when measured at the front of the surface as shown. You can still "snap" the F-35 even at low rate if you snatch back abruptly on the stick in flight.
          • AILERON - High=9mm - Low=7mm. Again, plenty of aileron. Even at low rate, nice scale axial rolls. At high rate, it spins like a top--even with 9mm.
          I've refined these throws starting with Herb's (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...DF-by-Freewing) suggested throws after maiden and refined them to where they are now with 104 flights on mine. And, I love the way mine flies.

Comment

• Thanks for the responses! I've picked up 4, CNHL 70C 4,000mah at 733 g. I've charged them once and I need to log their IR. I'm trying to get better at that for larger, more expensive batteries, especially from the factory before storing them until ready. I've read a lot of good things about CNHL's so thought I would give them a try. A two pack runs $109 delivered: https://chinahobbyline.com/index.php...product_id=346

I need to change the plane battery connector. I bought mine used and I don't think it has a gyro. I haven't removed the battery tray to see if might be hiding there, but I don't see any connectors labeled as such, unless connected in-line to another servo and not labeled. Went to the Perry, GA swap meet Friday and picked up a Ziroli P-61 Black Widow with 9.5' span so been checking that over! :) Need to get back to the F-35. Whenever it stops raining here in GA it should be warm enough to fly, lol.

Comment

• I haven't posted here in a while but got a couple to share from my last outting at Crows Landing. I have settled on the 6s 30c 5000mah as my go to pack for this plane! Its the best combo of weight, punch and flight time. Yes I have flown with other packs, 40c and 65c Black series, as well as a lighter 70c 4000 pack... None of them perforned as good as the 30c 5000... sticking with that!! I did a 3 min full throtle flight and battery came down barely even warm with 3.8v per cell!! I still could have flown a little longer if I wanted!! take a look at the flights..

here is a flights of me chasing my buddies Su-30. I think I surprised him with the speed of this lil thing!!

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
              I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• its jet time soon...still loveing the f4u.... would f35 b a good first freewing jet ??? i have adynam me262 . f35 has small wings compared ,,,,,should i b nervous
                thanx

Comment

• I've been eyeballing this one. After flying my 3d printed one. It got me thinking about this one too.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	9881818A-8EE7-4D8D-B80A-03E6402CF35D.jpeg
Views:	625
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	243033Click image for larger version  Name:	A2A89B3C-83C8-4696-8B66-1E6745DDC126.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	293.0 KB ID:	243031Click image for larger version  Name:	2A90699F-9113-4A52-A286-BB0E10AA9015.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	243030Click image for larger version  Name:	0894F911-619C-4AC7-96F6-7BE54B5D92EC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	243029​ Love mine! Had to add some color....she will stealth out on you if you let it lol!

Comment

• Glazier808 Unfortunately, I can't see your photos... perhaps try attaching them again?
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Added pics😂

what.....no imagination?????😂Sorry I was trying to add them during the storm must not of got done obviously

Comment

• My maiden about 6 months ago was crazy. Flew it off our grass field. Took forever for it to rotate, and when it finally broke ground, it pitched straight up. Applied full down elevator and got it back. Retracted the gear, and it pitched down ! So I trimmed it and flew like it was on rails. On final, I dropped the gear and it pitched up again, and from that point on, basically uncontrollable. Got it back for a second about 3 feet off the deck when it went inverted and crashed into our flight line barrier. Never had a maiden like that ! So now we're about to finish our new geo tech runway, and I brushed the cobwebs off and started repairs. Only thing I can figure is the cg must have been too far aft. I had it 4mm behind the plastic wing mounting plate. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_125327.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	243465Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_125340.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	243466Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_130615.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	243467Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_211922.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	243468

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
                            I had it 4mm behind the plastic wing mounting plate.
                            I think that's way too far back. Here's where the updated information pegs it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-35v3cg.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	243476

Comment

• Here's where I cgd mine with the gear down. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_052731.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	243534

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
                                Here's where I cgd mine with the gear down.
                                Although this is a personal preference thing, I CG mine with the gear up because that's the way the plane flies for the bulk of it's time. Gear down for me is only for take off and landing, so this occupies the minority of the time the plane is being operated and I can manually and easily compensate for the gear affect on CG since those are the times that I'm more "hands on" anyway.
                                I had to go take a look at my plane to see exactly where your reference point is since it's not what's used in the manual. However, examining it on the real plane, the reference piece (or line) on the plane is about the same on the top as it is on the bottom. That being said, yours looks like it's about 4mm "behind" the reference line (as you said) where the instructions show it should be "ON" that line (even though the written part of the manual states it should be "in front of" that line. Mine is 4mm "in front" of that line (as per the written instructions) and I'm going to move it even further forward for the next time I fly it to try and take out a bit more of the squirrelly-ness out of it. So, by comparison, your CG is about 8 to 10 mm further back than mine (at the moment). Having moved it about 4mm forward of the recommended reference line made mine much more stable and flyable. I think moving it a bit more forward will make it just about right for me.
                                However, I've always been of the belief that a few mm one way or the other for CG shouldn't make a huge difference. There may be something else at play in your case. Perhaps, you need to try more expo, lower rates, especially on the elevator. This is a fairly short plane (small pitch moment) and with those full flying elevators, it's very sensitive to elevator input and if the plane has any "play" in the elevator, pitch sensitivity is even more exaggerated.

Comment

• Good point, I had a lot of elevator travel in mine, and that could have contributed to the already bad situation with my botched cg. I'm going to correct the cg and tone down the elevator travel, and give it another go.

Comment

• I may be mistaken but I recall reading somewhere in this long thread, that even the lowest printed rate for the elevator is still too much and many have dialed in a lower rate than that for normal flying.

Comment

• Well, this thread is only 30 pages. I need to go thru it tonight and take some notes. Nothing else to do since we're sheltering in place.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_183150.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	243658Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_193046.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	243659Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_193050.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	243660 Continued with the repairs today. Almost there. Gotta sand the base coat one more time, the I can break out the airbrush.

Comment

• xviper, my manual has a totally different cg. If I measure back from the break in the wing 4mm, that puts the cg way ahead of mine and yours. I made another mark on the bottom of the wing where I think Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_194709.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	243662Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_194726.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	243663 you have yours. Can you confirm this ? I would like to start there, if yours is flying good.

Comment

Working...
                                          X