Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phoenix is rising from the ashes. I'm at the scotch tape hinges stage for portraits. lol
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	261869
    Attached Files

Comment

• anybody have an aileron travel in mm? 15 mm seems way way to much... extremely sensitive..it wants to roll not turn...can see the allure now of these jets i followed peoples 60 percent ... but to much ,i think

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
        anybody have an aileron travel in mm? 15 mm seems way way to much... extremely sensitive..it wants to roll not turn...can see the allure now of these jets i followed peoples 60 percent ... but to much ,i think
        Here's what I've settled on—and it works great for me.....
        AILERON
        Low- 7mm
        High- 9mm

ELEVATOR (measured at the FRONT of the surface)
        Low- 16mm
        High - 18mm

RUDDER
        Low-13mm
        High - 15mm

Comment

anybody have an aileron travel in mm? 15 mm seems way way to much... extremely sensitive..it wants to roll not turn...can see the allure now of these jets i followed peoples 60 percent ... but to much ,i think

I've dumbed mine down to 65% rates with 35% expo for normal flying. I've also got a rate at 50% and one at 80%, both with lots of expo. The low rate is good for landing. The high rate makes it spin like a top. I also have a gyro with adjustable gain on the fly that tames it down so that precise flying can be done. I hated this plane when I first got it, but it's starting to grow on me. All the twitchiness and sensitive stick response is gone.

Comment

• 7 mm. Low. Wow. Mine was way too much. ,,. I always have 30 percent expo. Thanx guys. I will land it next time. Not look for the glue. Try try

Comment

• In addition, I set up 3 rate positions for my one D/R switch:
              LOW RATES (all low) for high speed operations.
              ELEVATOR HIGH (elevator high rates, rudd and aileron low rates) my normal position for takeoffs, landing, and normal flight. You need high rate elevator for good landing flares and high alpha flight.
              HIGH RATES (all three high) for aggressive aerobatics and drill speed aileron rolls.

Again, for landing, I use the "Elevator High" position which is High Elevator...Low Aileron and Rudder I don't use much expo...since I'm using an AR636A RX with AS3X, i don't have any expo set in at low rates, and 10% at high rates.
              On a non-AS3X RX, I'd probably use 20% all around for starters...no more. Of course, adjust for personal preference after you trim it up on your maiden

Comment

• Just Wana fly it first. I will. Thanx

Comment

7 mm. Low. Wow. Mine was way too much. ,,. I always have 30 percent expo. Thanx guys. I will land it next time. Not look for the glue. Try try
                  Make sure you have a higher rate to fall back on in case you find it too numb.

Comment

• Will do thanx even 10 mm is. One third less than the 15 I had:: was surprised it flew as good is it did. After first crash. I think u saw pic on what did u fly tday

Comment

• Remember those ailerons are nearly full span. 7mm is not too little throw. I’ve found it to be perfect for scale flying but still plenty of spunk—as I mentioned before, my high rate of 9mm and full aileron deflection gives axial drill-bit rolls without getting too squirrelly.

Comment

• Ye I was rolling twice by mistake. With 15mm. Looked cool. But not in control thanx again. Don't think can fix fuse this time. I will try but I think Fed ex might have to flap his wings again

Comment

• Here's my review - To put it in perspective, I fly jets a couple times a week and I found this one to be a challenge. Not as much fun as most. 😐

This jet is a beauty and takes no time to build. It’s underpowered so grass takeoffs are long, even in short grass. In the air, it’s solid but not fast. You have to keep it close. It’s smaller and grey and is very hard to see. I’ll have to add some brightly colored paint. It won’t be very scale but I have to do something. With no flaps, it lands long. Once you figure this out, landings in grass are manageable. It will roll up on the wings during rollout and taxi at times so don’t be overly aggressive with steering. The cheater hole on this one is huge. Although I haven’t had an issue, it’s gonna suck up grass. This is not a stress free jet but an experienced pilot can work through all of this. A lesser pilot could be frustrated by this one.

If you read any reviews, you know you’ll need less aileron and more elevator than the manual states. I’m getting 3:20 on an HRB 4000 60C with maybe 20% left. I don’t plan to try a 5000 as I’m not sure it will get off the ground in grass. I’d do a bigger battery on a paved runway. As others have noted, you do want keep your speed up in the turns.

One final note - I add an aftermarket nose gear brace to any jet with forward retracting nose gear. They work great and save me money over time. On this F-35, there are protrusions on the gear strut that will challenge you to get the brace where is should be. There is a protruding grub screw that has to be dealt with for the brace to fit. It’s sticking out because there is no flat on the shaft where it lands. Just dremel a flat on that shaft and the grub screw will go flush. Then, there will be a nice smooth surface where the strut and the nose gear brace meet. There is actually a note about this on the Thingverse file for printing this 3D nose gear brace. If you don’t get the brace where it should be on the strut, it will bind your steering.

Comment

• Originally posted by gentile View Post
                            .......With no flaps, it lands long. Once you figure this out, landings in grass are manageable....
                            ..... As others have noted, you do want keep your speed up in the turns.

....One final note - I add an aftermarket nose gear brace to any jet with forward retracting nose gear. They work great and save me money over time. On this F-35, there are protrusions on the gear strut that will challenge you to get the brace where is should be. There is a protruding grub screw that has to be dealt with for the brace to fit. It’s sticking out because there is no flat on the shaft where it lands. Just dremel a flat on that shaft and the grub screw will go flush. Then, there will be a nice smooth surface where the strut and the nose gear brace meet. There is actually a note about this on the Thingverse file for printing this 3D nose gear brace. If you don’t get the brace where it should be on the strut, it will bind your steering.
                            To put your observations in perspective for others who may be reading this thread, I'll share a few of the things I've learned about this airplane with many flights (around 150 flights) on mine, with no gyro, a Hobby Eagle A3S3, and then an AR636A (that I tailored and reprogrammed through extensive flight testing) that I'm using presently:
                            Once you roll out on final approach, you can slow it down to where it is flying slightly high alpha. It will still have plenty of energy to flare with--particularly in ground-effect over the runway (I've never flown it on grass--wouldn't think it would be great on it). With the slower speed--you can land it in a much shorter distance.
                            A gyro really helps this airplane. Period. Especially when airspeed is reduced during turns and during landings. It dampens or completely stops the wing rocking and/or uncommanded rollouts from turns as well as making it much more stable during stalls and the recoveries from them.
                            As far as the "stealth" characteristics inflight...yeah, I was a bit nervous about that at first, but I learned to keep it in a bit closer and as I know its silhouette in all attitudes now, I have no trouble with keeping it in sight and in all attitudes--it flies extremely stable inverted and during inverted steep turns as well.
                            When applying up elevator, use caution though--if you are too aggressive and "snatch" back the stick, the airplane will snap roll on you. My first F-35 met its end on a screaming max speed pass 5-6 feet over the runway and I initiated a high-g/high rate steep tight 360-degree "bat" turn to wow the peanut gallery...uh...the airplane snapped to the right--into the ground. Yeah, I wowed 'em alright🤬 LOL

Regarding the nose brace/strut grub interference issue--for those who don't have a 3D printer, or would quite simply like to have the perfectly designed brace for the F-35 that was engineered to clear the grub screws...check out this post from wildvortex on RCG:
                            https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post44892253
                            I worked with him on engineering his fantastic brace...and love mine. $11 (free CONUS shipping). Note: I have no financial interest in this at all, but want to share a product that is top of the line for our F-35s.
                            DB

Comment

• The rebuild of my F-35C is almost ready to fly. I really like the dual front wheels! I also got thte wing extensions right this time to be more scale looking. All I have left to do now is trim it out and set the low and high rates. I have read all of the comments on how much throw but this is an entirely different bird with flaps and much smaller ailerons than the F-35A. I will still be going conservative. Hope to get it in the air sometime soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z50_0804A.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	264782
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I did the first test flight on my F-35 this morning weather calm. Test flight went great. I had the ailerons on low 7 mm, Elevator on mid rate 14 mm and the rudder on low 12 mm. I have flown some EDF's with excessive throws and it was not fun, LOL!! ! As most of you have posted and a few guy's I know had told me, tame this one down a lot before your first flight. I followed the throws some have mentioned on this forum. Thank you guy's! The info I gathered here was very useful in making my first test flight turn out great and very rewarding with no problems. Landings are as suggested from the guys at Motion "just do not get it to slow on the landings. The Landing went great touched mains first then the nose gear. "Just another walk in the Park" I have the dual ail. and have them set up for Spoilerons, really helped on the landing I used the spoiler set up that Crick3t had posted earlier in this thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-35.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	264823

Comment

• I hate showoff's. Na. Well done I did my research but not enuf. I will take it

Comment

• Hi guys,

I have been flying E-flite Viper for a month and I am very comfortable with it. I have also been flying E-flite F-16 for the last 2 weeks, have about 15 flight/battery pack on F-16 and started practicing high alphas. I am new to EDFs and was wondering if you guys think I am ready to fly my F-35 safely. I am painting the bottom red for better visibility. For RX, I’m using AR637T which has SAFE & AS3X. SAFE has saved me few times with the other 2 EDFs.

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                                      Hi guys,

I have been flying E-flite Viper for a month and I am very comfortable with it. I have also been flying E-flite F-16 for the last 2 weeks, have about 15 flight/battery pack on F-16 and started practicing high alphas. I am new to EDFs and was wondering if you guys think I am ready to fly my F-35 safely. I am painting the bottom red for better visibility. For RX, I’m using AR637T which has SAFE & AS3X. SAFE has saved me few times with the other 2 EDFs.
                                      I believe you are ready. Just make sure you decrease the aileron throws. as stated in post #783 and you should be fine. Keep up your speed on landing, the F-25 comes in a little hotter then the Viper or the F-16. Good luck with your test flight. The more I fly mine the better it gets. Iam thinking of putting in one of the new AR637T receivers. I am getting to where I like the gyro's better and better really helps calm em down and makes a guy look like a better Pilot LOL!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

I believe you are ready. Just make sure you decrease the aileron throws. as stated in post #783 and you should be fine. Keep up your speed on landing, the F-25 comes in a little hotter then the Viper or the F-16. Good luck with your test flight. The more I fly mine the better it gets. Iam thinking of putting in one of the new AR637T receivers. I am getting to where I like the gyro's better and better really helps calm em down and makes a guy look like a better Pilot LOL!!!!
                                        Thanks! I plan on maiden next week.

Comment

• The F-35 is my favorite jet by far! Ive owned 5 of these amazing birds from the initial release and now my son flys them too. Freewing made such a great jet that i now had to expand my F-35 skills to the next level and jumped into my 1:8 F-35 Lightning II turbine jet. Without Freewing’s excellent work on the 70mm jet I wouldn’t have even considered a large F-35 as the old LX one was a huge heap of trash. Anywho enjoy the pictures of my custom Hill AFB 34th FS “Rude Rams” flagship that Will be maiden’d after a significant event happens in the next few weeks.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X