X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Spoilerons work a lil different than flaps. They change the way that the wing stalls. The also tend to make the plane pitch up which causes more drag and help the plane sink. It also makes it so that the wing can have a much higher angle of attack before stalling. In my experience it makes them stall more predictable and manageable. I had a 180mph pylon racer that would not slow down for landing at all unless spoilerons were used. I have meantto try this on my F-16 and F-35 but haven't gotten around to it yet. Both planes could benefit from them for sure...
    Spoilers increase drag and reduce lift. They also reduce stall margin significantly. So, in practical means, a plane can slow down significantly but does stall earlier. Flaps increase lift and drag and increase stall margin (depending on how they are built) so a plane can slow down and fly slower in the end. In both cases a steeper flight path can be achieved by flying the same speed. Check https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/...nd_Speedbrakes as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cycross View Post
      Dradams2 - admire your scale efforts into doing the Navy version. I just got one curious question - Are you also going to do that vertical tail modification as well? The C model vertical fin is marginally taller than that of the A model.
      I didn't know there was a difference in the vertical stabilizers. I never saw any measurements or comments about that. Do you have a link for a source I can look at. I would certainly consider making the mod if I can get the measurements. Thanks for the information.

Comment

• Originally posted by dradams2 View Post

I didn't know there was a difference in the vertical stabilizers. I never saw any measurements or comments about that. Do you have a link for a source I can look at. I would certainly consider making the mod if I can get the measurements. Thanks for the information.
        Below is what I can find, but it is more evident from pictures with both A and C side by side. Notice the tip profile versus that of a A variant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 3.14.48 PM.png
Views:	748
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	254779

Answer (1 of 6): Yes; many aircraft over the years have served multiple services and performed multiple mission sets. When it comes to multirole aircraft, most fighters both today and historically have had multirole functionality, from the Sopwith Camel, to the P-51, to the F-86, to the F-4, to ...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 3.10.12 PM.png
Views:	874
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	254778

Comment

• I might be able to get some measurements.

With the wing LE being moved forward on the C version, the C verticals had to be taller to keep them exposed to clean air when flying at high angles of attack

Comment

• That is a good graphic. I hadn't seen that before. I had seen the photos where it looked like they were taller but I never could nail it down and wasn't sure if it was just the perspective of the photos but this makes it clear. Thanks. I can use this as a guide and extend the vertical stabilizers as well. I will do a "best guess" at it if I can't find the measurement since from the graphic it doesn't look like it was that much.

Comment

• The actual C tails are right at 13” taller, in true view.

Given that the FW model is 1/12.85 scale, if you make your A tails 1” taller, you will be right on the money.

the picture shows some 1/10 scale vertical tails, an A and a C, with the leading edges aligned.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks. I'll do that.

Comment

• Okay, I had to back up a little bit and that slowed me down for a while. Once I had the balsa tips in place, painted and ready for final trimming I weighed them one more time and it was just unacceptable to me. My original F-35A wing that weighed 99 grams now weighed 295 grams, almost triple its original weight. So out came my Dremel saw and I chopped them off and went with the Model Airplane Foam that I have used for years building RC Powers park jets. I know its strengths and weaknesses and felt it will hold up for the type flying I will be doing with this jet. The rebuild cut off 70 grams of weight from each wing coming in at 225 grams. Here are three pictures of what I did. I am adding one inch to the vertical stabilizers as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6465.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	255053
                  Attached Files

Comment

• I have finished the airframe now. It is as close to the C version as I am going to get it. Large wing, wider horizontal stabilizers, and taller vertical stabilizers. Now I can start working on painting details and waiting for decals from Callie.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have finished the airframe now. It is as close to the C version as I am going to get it. Large wing, wider horizontal stabilizers, and taller vertical stabilizers. Now I can start working on painting details and waiting for decals from Callie.
                      Looks GOOD!!!!! Can't wait for you to get it in the air and see how it does.

Comment

• sooooohh much work,,....... acheivment

Comment

• Originally posted by Quax View Post

Spoilers increase drag and reduce lift. They also reduce stall margin significantly. So, in practical means, a plane can slow down significantly but does stall earlier. Flaps increase lift and drag and increase stall margin (depending on how they are built) so a plane can slow down and fly slower in the end. In both cases a steeper flight path can be achieved by flying the same speed. Check https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/...nd_Speedbrakes as well.
                          Have you flown an RC plane with spolierons? Yes I do know that there is a scientific theory behind all of this that dictates what things "should" do. But actually flying an RC plane with spoilerons seems to work a lil different since they have such a low wing loading. I have been able to get the planes do things that seem impossible with spoilerons. The things I noted in my previous post are what I have experienced using them. With flaperons the planes may slow down pretty good but they tend to drop wings much easier when they get to their limits while spoilerons are much more manageable even when you get really slow. The only reason why I speak up on this stuff is when I have actually done it myself....
                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I have finished the airframe now. It is as close to the C version as I am going to get it. Large wing, wider horizontal stabilizers, and taller vertical stabilizers. Now I can start working on painting details and waiting for decals from Callie.
                            LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the final results of this! I just wish that someone would make this version in a PNP I flew mine over the weekend at a Jet Rally and people were amazed that the plane was bone stock. Its so much fun to fly and has such a unique look to it!
                            Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Have you flown an RC plane with spolierons? Yes I do know that there is a scientific theory behind all of this that dictates what things "should" do. But actually flying an RC plane with spoilerons seems to work a lil different since they have such a low wing loading. I have been able to get the planes do things that seem impossible with spoilerons. The things I noted in my previous post are what I have experienced using them. With flaperons the planes may slow down pretty good but they tend to drop wings much easier when they get to their limits while spoilerons are much more manageable even when you get really slow. The only reason why I speak up on this stuff is when I have actually done it myself....
                              I completely agree with your view on this. Sometimes, people quote line by line and verse for verse of what they find on a Google search or they have a lot of experience with "real" aircraft. They don't seem to understand that little (or even big) RC aircraft DON'T always adhere to the rules of full size craft. I've got spoilerons and flaperons programmed into various models and one plane will act completely differently than another plane with the same control surface and I'm sure neither one will do what they do on a "real" plane. Spoilerons tend to achieve the desired effect on one plane and turn out to be weird or "goofy" on another. Same goes for flaperons.

Comment

• I got some painting done the last two days. Still a ways to go but it is getting there. Air brushed the wings, tails, and elevators and the base coat on the fuselage. I am free-handing the fuselage markings which is slow work for me. I'm not an artist. 🖌 It's still a lot of fun doing this. I have learned a lot from this for sure.

Name:	combo.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	255537

Comment

• Alpha I have the final numbers now for this conversion and I will need a little help at this point. The wing loading came in lower even with the added weight because of the amount of added wing area. As I have already said, I moved the leading edge forward 1.25" and added 2" to the trailing edge. My question is: What is this going to do to the center of gravity? Which direction will it move and by how much, if any? Thanks in advance for any help here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Final Numbers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.4 KB ID:	255705

Comment

• I ordered mine this morning along with a new 5000 to replace my 5000 that accordionned on me when my f5 went in. Fanominal work on this one Alpha, it shows just how far freewing has come since the old days with the old TV f35 and f16. (Kinda want to find an old TV f16 to go with my f18.)

Comment

I got some painting done the last two days. Still a ways to go but it is getting there. Air brushed the wings, tails, and elevators and the base coat on the fuselage. I am free-handing the fuselage markings which is slow work for me. I'm not an artist. 🖌 It's still a lot of fun doing this. I have learned a lot from this for sure.

Name:	combo.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	255537
                                      Looking great! One thing I would do though is paint the turkey feathers/exhaust. I did that on my F-35 and it looks so much better. All you need to do is use a hobby knife and cut around the seam of where it meets the fuselage, and after some wiggling, it should come off easily. To paint it, I used Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze (Almost a perfect match) on the outside and used the excess grey touch up paint to do the little area on the trailing edge of the saw tooth. I also used Rustoleum Flat White on the inside and sanded down both the inside duct behind the EDF unit in the fuselage, and the inside of the turkey feathers (before painting the inside of course).

(the pictures make the oil rubbed bronze appear darker than in reality and sorry for cruddy picture quality)
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Well three weeks ago I crashed my F-35. Only damage was the nose in 3 pieces and split like a banana, gear mounts ripped out as gear was down for landing.

so i pieced her together with gorilla glue light weight sparkle and regular sparkle. I have primed the top white and the bottom grey. Graphics are ordered from Cali.

im going with a what if Israel theme. next I start airbrushing her up.

Gravy
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Well got the painted and the top ready for desert camo paint.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X