• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top side waiting for camo paint.

gravy
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      I completely agree with your view on this. Sometimes, people quote line by line and verse for verse of what they find on a Google search or they have a lot of experience with "real" aircraft. They don't seem to understand that little (or even big) RC aircraft DON'T always adhere to the rules of full size craft. I've got spoilerons and flaperons programmed into various models and one plane will act completely differently than another plane with the same control surface and I'm sure neither one will do what they do on a "real" plane. Spoilerons tend to achieve the desired effect on one plane and turn out to be weird or "goofy" on another. Same goes for flaperons.
      To be precise, spoilerons are not simply flaperons in reverse. Spoilerons are spoilers that perform the aileron function of roll by reducing lift on one wing. Well-known examples are the F-14, the B-52, and almost any heavy lift transport.

As to the aforementioned "spoilerons" reducing stall - it does not. The boundary airflow still detaches at the leading edge at the same critical angle relative to the aircraft's vector, but some measure of control is retained by not introducing additional yaw forces from a downward-deflected wing surface (which for a plane at stall angle is pretty much an airbrake) - ever try to get a stalling plane roll in one direction, but it instead rolled/pitched the other way?

Comment

• Spoilerons make the wing act like it has washout.

Comment

• ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Crick3t View Post
            I had the F35 out today doing some experimenting with flaperons & spoilerons. I had 4 total flights trying all sorts of mixes of flaperons/elevator & spoiler/elevator. With what I experienced today I can say that the F35 really likes the SPOILERONS!

Flaperons deployed at 30% with no elevator mix and the plane wanted to go nose down and head for the ground. I landed & added in 10% up elevator. The addition of the down elevator helped to keep the plane a lot more level. However this really didn't take out a lot of air speed or slow things down as much as i thought or would have liked. It also seemed to add a lot of wing rock when things did get slowed down.

Spoilerons deployed at 30% with no elevator mix and the plane wanted to climb hard. The nose instantly pitched up about 45% and the plane just started climbing and loosing speed. I landed an added in 10% down elevator. This helped but not enough. Landed added in another 5% of down elevator. Deployed the spoilerons in my test with the additional down elevator and it felt great. The plane slowed way down and seemed to be really stable. Didn't experience the wing rock like i did with the falperons. Spoilerons really lets you float this thing in for landing. It's hard not to make a good landing with this setup.

Hopefully in the next few days i'll get a little video showing my setup and how it works. I would recommend SPOILERONS for F35 to anyone that wants to slow it down and make some gorgeous landing!
            Yep!

Comment

• Would be pretty cool to get a C version in the 90 mm size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big12fan View Post
                Would be pretty cool to get a C version in the 90 mm size.
                I would buy that in a heart beat. 90mm F35-C would be awesome. I love what Dradams2 is doing! So Cool!

Comment

• Now I’m just waiting for my Cali shipment.

Gravy
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Guys
                    sorry to report that my F35 has gone to the foam basket in the sky... I simply loved the way this little jet flew and had about 170+ flights on it.
                    On the third flight of the day, I am not certain why but I lost radio contact with jet shortly after takeoff. Then I seemed to get it back and tried to make my downwind leg .. put the gear down and turned base leg at that point I lost it again. This time it turned and went straight into the ground about 300 feet from the runway :(

battery was good 90% left
                    connected to the RX okay
                    esc was putting 6.6v out to the RX

the only thing I am not sure of is the jet was bound to my spektrum TX with 11ms frame rate. These FW planes have digital servos so it shouldn’t matter. But recently I was told that the cheap digital servos probably can’t handle that frame rate. I would like to hear from all you regarding this question.
                    I flew my glider and my L39 without issues and they are both on 11ms frame rate too
                    Rich
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post
                      These FW planes have digital servos so it shouldn’t matter. But recently I was told that the cheap digital servos probably can’t handle that frame rate. I would like to hear from all you regarding this question.
                      I flew my glider and my L39 without issues and they are both on 11ms frame rate too
                      Rich
                      Unless I'm unaware of any upgrades done to this model, the stock serves are analog hybrid (plastic and metal) gears (the parts listed on the spares tab aren't necessarily what came in the stock plane).

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Unless I'm unaware of any upgrades done to this model, the stock serves are analog hybrid (plastic and metal) gears (the parts listed on the spares tab aren't necessarily what came in the stock plane).
                        Thanks for your comments but actually this little jet comes with digital servos see link below (inexpensive ones)

Freewing 9g Digital Metal Gear Servo with 100mm (4") Lead - MD31092-100 This servo is used on various Freewing jets. It can be used with other aircraft with compatible specifications (see below). Features: Lightweight, efficient high torque metal gear servo perfect for mid-sized to large EDF jets Includes: Freewing 9g

Comment

• I have my F-35C ready to maiden now so I am going to start taking it to the field (Bomber Field) with me and when the wind is right and my courage is right 😁 I will give it a try. I had never flown an EDF before so I picked up a Freewing 64mm F-22 to get some experience. I maidened it a couple of days ago with no issues. It flies a lot like some of my faster RCPowers park jets that I have built from scratch. It sure didn't want to slow down to land though. I did manage to get it down in one piece. I just need more experience with it I am sure.

No one replied to my request for help on the CG possibilities for the changes I made to the F-35 so I am planning on using the recommended corrected CG from the forum and go from there.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6525.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	257007
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Hi, all - I'm quite interested in this model. I'd appreciate it if owners or those familiar could respond to my questions below:
                            1. I'll be building for FPV flight, with pan/tilt head tracking via a DJI FPV system. Is the canopy large enough to support this (e.g. remove pilot and place air unit module underneath, in the fuselage)?
                            2. It looks like I should have enough clearance to install a custom 70mm 3D thrust vectoring nozzle, pushrod, and servos. Am I correct / has this been done on a 'V3'?
                            3. Taking account 1 and 2 above, I'll take on added weight. While the weight distribution would be altered, I'd like to come close to or slightly higher than the original thrust:weight. Are there motor & fan units that would support my goal?
                            Thank you in advance - I am new to this forum and appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks for your comments but actually this little jet comes with digital servos see link below (inexpensive ones)

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...ad-md31092-100
                              Your link is to the spares page - like I said, the spares don't always reflect what comes stock with the full PNP plane.
                              • From the overview: "NEW! Quality 9g hybrid gear servos throughout"
                              • Your example: "Freewing 9g Digital Metal Gear Servo with 100mm" (not Hybrid metal-plastic gears)
                              I discussed this with customer service when I ordered and received replacement servos for an early-batch 90mm F/A-18C.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Your link is to the spares page - like I said, the spares don't always reflect what comes stock with the full PNP plane.
                                • From the overview: "NEW! Quality 9g hybrid gear servos throughout"
                                • Your example: "Freewing 9g Digital Metal Gear Servo with 100mm" (not Hybrid metal-plastic gears)
                                I discussed this with customer service when I ordered and received replacement servos for an early-batch 90mm F/A-18C.
                                Wow I didn't realize this I assumed they are using the same parts that are offered as spares. I will check the servos I pulled out of my jet and see what they are
                                Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by dradams2 View Post
                                  I have my F-35C ready to maiden now so I am going to start taking it to the field (Bomber Field) with me and when the wind is right and my courage is right 😁 I will give it a try. I had never flown an EDF before so I picked up a Freewing 64mm F-22 to get some experience. I maidened it a couple of days ago with no issues. It flies a lot like some of my faster RCPowers park jets that I have built from scratch. It sure didn't want to slow down to land though. I did manage to get it down in one piece. I just need more experience with it I am sure.

No one replied to my request for help on the CG possibilities for the changes I made to the F-35 so I am planning on using the recommended corrected CG from the forum and go from there.
                                  The new CG photo is the one to use. It fly's great and gives you nice high alpha landings

Comment

The new CG photo is the one to use. It fly's great and gives you nice high alpha landings
                                    I would use a calculated cg, not the stock one for this modified bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by M3illa View Post
                                      Hi, all - I'm quite interested in this model. I'd appreciate it if owners or those familiar could respond to my questions below:
                                      1. I'll be building for FPV flight, with pan/tilt head tracking via a DJI FPV system. Is the canopy large enough to support this (e.g. remove pilot and place air unit module underneath, in the fuselage)?
                                      2. It looks like I should have enough clearance to install a custom 70mm 3D thrust vectoring nozzle, pushrod, and servos. Am I correct / has this been done on a 'V3'?
                                      3. Taking account 1 and 2 above, I'll take on added weight. While the weight distribution would be altered, I'd like to come close to or slightly higher than the original thrust:weight. Are there motor & fan units that would support my goal?
                                      Thank you in advance - I am new to this forum and appreciate it.
                                      Welcome to HobbySquawk! I don't know very much about FPV, but in terms of the jet, I can help. The canopy should be more than large enough to fit even a GoPro, and regarding TV, you don't need it. At all. The jet has plenty of power and can turn on a dime. TV would just add unnecessary weight, and make the jet unstable. Don't worry about getting a new power system. As I said, it has tons of power. I've seen people put pylons with bombs and missiles on, and that adds tons of drag and weight, yet the jet still flies great! Have fun with it, not only is it a great flyer, but it looks just fantastic in the air!

Comment

• DaFlyingSnek - thank you so much for the insight.

It's great to hear that TV is not neccessary for this airframe. I'll be purchasing one and will post updates / video on my build along the way.

Take care, my friend.

Originally posted by DaFlyingSnek View Post

Welcome to HobbySquawk! I don't know very much about FPV, but in terms of the jet, I can help. The canopy should be more than large enough to fit even a GoPro, and regarding TV, you don't need it. At all. The jet has plenty of power and can turn on a dime. TV would just add unnecessary weight, and make the jet unstable. Don't worry about getting a new power system. As I said, it has tons of power. I've seen people put pylons with bombs and missiles on, and that adds tons of drag and weight, yet the jet still flies great! Have fun with it, not only is it a great flyer, but it looks just fantastic in the air!

Comment

• just pull the triger on this thing... b here about june 10 in aus excited nervous !!!! it was a toss up f16 camo or f35 .......will b studying all previous info on this thread just hope i can see the thing,,,,,, oriantation !!!! some say it gets small quick

Comment

Working...
                                          X