First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get some
    Attached Files

Comment

Alpha I wanna let it be known that if a Viking is in the works I wanna put my $$$ in to preorder one.....

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      I wonder how floppy the wings would be with a manual mech... either build the bird thin and light or build it big and robust. I've posted before that I like the Viking. I had the old, old foamy that was less than encouraging. But I do have a thing for twin nacelled jets... Arado 234? Whoops, separate thread. Or twin nacelled carrier birds... Hawkeye? Different thread.

The challenge we've hit with twin nacelled jets, especially high winged birds, has to do with the landing gear. F-16 style.

Comment

Throwing my hat into the ring too. While working on my own plans that may or may not come to anything, found a 3-D model I could open with Fusion, and have a new CNC Router, so time to do some planning. First test piece I just pulled from a vacuum mold this evening was a half of the folding section of the vertical stab. May have scaled it down a bit too much, but need to figure on a happy medium. Thinking I might try to work in the new upgraded fans and use the 90mm F-16 main gear, that will help with gear and door mechanisms may have to go bigger fans to match that scale, If I go that big. Guess we will see if I can keep it up. Will try to remember to post back here if it goes anywhere, will probably have some progress stuff on Instagram if I get that far too.

Alpha, any chance to get a library of replacement part objects that can be imported into Fusion360? mainly aforementioned 90mm F-16 landing gear assemblies and fans? Maybe some Freewing servos? ^_^

Comment

I'd like to see the finished product

Originally posted by rhys_greycat View Post
          Throwing my hat into the ring too. While working on my own plans that may or may not come to anything, found a 3-D model I could open with Fusion, and have a new CNC Router, so time to do some planning. First test piece I just pulled from a vacuum mold this evening was a half of the folding section of the vertical stab. May have scaled it down a bit too much, but need to figure on a happy medium. Thinking I might try to work in the new upgraded fans and use the 90mm F-16 main gear, that will help with gear and door mechanisms may have to go bigger fans to match that scale, If I go that big. Guess we will see if I can keep it up. Will try to remember to post back here if it goes anywhere, will probably have some progress stuff on Instagram if I get that far too.

Alpha, any chance to get a library of replacement part objects that can be imported into Fusion360? mainly aforementioned 90mm F-16 landing gear assemblies and fans? Maybe some Freewing servos? ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder0220 View Post
            I'd like to see the finished product

I'll post here as I make some progress. Pulled a few learning parts from the molds. Horizontal and vertical (above the fold) stabilizer. Will be a bit while I play with these and draw up more molds and get some more peel-ply
            Attached Files

Comment

I have the A-6 from Motion.....F-18 from Eflite & Cessna from FMS...I would love an S-3 lol

Comment

That would be nice.
                Must be a twin edf. With tail-hook and all.
                Same scale as the A-6 Intruder.
                I miss the tail hook on my A-6.
                It's long over due. Four years since this thread started.
                Will we ever see a Freewing S-3 Viking?

Comment

Some testing progress on my small version. Switching to positive carving instead of negative carving for quicker iterations., planning to wrap fuselage in glass, then remove foam, and insert structure.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-01 19.23.44.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	280131

Name:	2020-10-11 19.45.00.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	280130Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-11 21.57.48.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	280129

Comment

I'd like it to use the twin 80mm setup which is the same as the Mig29 and A-10. It's proven, most of us already have the batteries and it'll be big enough to fly easily instead of a little mosquito buzzing around your head

Comment

adjustments to the fuelage model and cutting paths, Tweaks have been made to the wing too, but didn't have time tonight to cut them. This is scaled for 50-65mm fans hopefully, Starting a bit small as is this is my first venture into this style of build.

Using the Freewing 70mm F-104 landing gear (F-16 was out of stock when I ordered, but figured they were same or close enough) Already have ideas forming on a larger, I think it is 1/9 scale, using bigger fans, and the Freewing 90mm F-16 gear package

Name:	2020-10-12 22.08.02.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	280227

Comment

WOW!
                        I am new to Hobby Squawk, but I saw this info for an S3 Viking and I would like to chime in... I too would like to fly an S3. That was my bird at my last command while I served in the Navy. I was a Jet mechanic / plane captain with VS-35 squadron "Blue Wolfs"
                        And great to see the input from hobby enthusiast pilots that would like to fly this iconic plane in Naval History! I finally made up my mind to suck it up and get one from Keiro. But I may hold off if someone else drops one motion RC/e-flite(Horizon) and so on.

Comment

I would buy in to the preorder if Freewing made the S-3 Viking. I have the Intruder and it's great, but I love the Viking. Go Super Scale!

Comment

This is an aircraft I would love to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Puregreen7 View Post
                              I would buy in to the preorder if Freewing made the S-3 Viking. I have the Intruder and it's great, but I love the Viking. Go Super Scale!
                              Ditto!!

Comment

Motion rc (I know they don't make them) mentioned they were working on it. Hope to see it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                  RE: Freewing S-3 Viking

The S-3 Viking and E2C Hawkeye are two planes on my list of "Obscure but Awesome" to model one day. I'd agree many of us would like to see those models in foam electric one day, done well. Sales potential is the first consideration as a business, so hopefully there is enough support for some of the aircraft on that list to gradually make it to production. Time, gentlemen, time will tell!
                                  C'mon Alpha we need some new blood at MRC and like others here I'd buy one now even when the economy is dismal.

And an E2C? YES PLEASE! I think Dymond hobby has an E2C but it's not very scale.

Comment

The RC E-2C you mention is actually a Maxford USA
                                    *E-2C Hawkeye EP 71" ARF (maxfordusa.com)
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Yes, bring the S-3 to life. A Carrier version, some may like the Nasa version.

Comment

When I was on the Enterprise I saw a fellah get sucked into the number 2 engine of an S-3, not a pretty sight!

Rich

Comment

Working...
                                        X