Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Full Demo of the beautifully rendered SU-30 from EFlite.

This is the full shakedown. Fast, Low, then back to High Alpha and slow. Inverted and maximum rate rolls. Touch and go, to slow-mo. This is the full flight envelope for this jet.

Slowest flight is achieved with the lightest pack possible, and all flights are flown with the packs full aft in the battery bay. High Alpha flight was 4 min of flying on high C rating 4000mah pack.

Takeoff and speed demos flown with the 70C 5500 mah Roaring Top batteries. These yield over 4 minutes of flight time on balanced flying.

This is the BNF jet and is NOT for beginners. With previous EDF experience though, this jet is LOCKED IN on the AS3X factory setup. She is a heavy bird and must be flown respecting that. Even then, it has surprisingly good vertical on a quality pack, and will slow down and hang in the High Alpha with full throws on the controls and precise control.

Huge thanks to camera girl for filming in the freezing cold!

https://youtu.be/894vzKqj2d0
    JLamb,

Loved your video and outstanding flying. I know I waited a while to comment but have a question. I've finally decided to get the SU 30 and will also install a second 10 channel receiver to piggy back on the AR636 so I can use flaperons and a separate channel on #7 for an independant airbrake. Mostly because I fly off of grass and flaperons made a huge difference on my 90mm F-16 ,and 'cause I also want to have an independent airbrake as I think it's way to cool to disable it.

My question is exactly how did you do the high alpha fly around, ie, slow down and give it up elevator till it gets to high alpha and then ease in throttle to keep it there? Please be as specific as you can to get it there.

Still waiting for HH to get it back in stock so I have time to contemplate the maneuver, as I'm sure my F-16 will react the same as it is very easy to get it into high alpha at landing, just need to accomplish it at altitude and keep it there. The way you did it looks spectacular. Thanks.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Horizon indicates that the BNF is "in stock" online, so I'm guessing this means they are shipping them out to the hobby shops. Their estimate of being available in early February seems to be accurate.

Comment

• Interesting, I checked every day for a while and on the inventory listing it kept saying "Backorder" available late Jan then switched to early Feb. Still says that but when you click on the jet itself, you are absolutely correct xviper, it says available online. Usually with HH the two go hand in hand, but you must be right that there is a difference between online and at the other hobby stores. Thanks.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
          Interesting, I checked every day for a while and on the inventory listing it kept saying "Backorder" available late Jan then switched to early Feb. Still says that but when you click on the jet itself, you are absolutely correct xviper, it says available online. Usually with HH the two go hand in hand, but you must be right that there is a difference between online and at the other hobby stores. Thanks.
          I think when a product is available to ship to customers directly (via online sale), they must also ship them to hobby shops at the same time, meaning the product won't actually be in anybody's hands (hobby shop customers or online customers) for a few days, which puts it into early Feb. I'm hoping mine will show up in the next week or so at my local hobby store but then, mine has to clear customs first before the shop sees them.

Comment

• Didn't get around to ordering it last night, but doing it tonight and just checked and now under the new plane inventory it changed from backorder, next shipment early Feb to in stock. Then clicked on it to order and there it now says backorder, next shipment early Feb, where yesterday it said available on line.

Talk about screwy. Maybe someone's hacking their website, or everyone and their bother ordered it yesterday.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• That's strange. I guess the left hand doesn't know what the right hand's doing.

Comment

• They finally got both hands in sync, shows available on line in both places.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Wow, called HH to see how to bind 2 receivers with DX9, no help. Called Motion and they told me you can not bind 2 receivers with Spektrum transmitters. Wanted to add Admiral 10 channel receiver to SU30 for air brake on channel 7, and program the AR636 for flaperons, but everyone says impossible. Anyone know different with DX9?
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Wow, called HH to see how to bind 2 receivers with DX9, no help. Called Motion and they told me you can not bind 2 receivers with Spektrum transmitters. Wanted to add Admiral 10 channel receiver to SU30 for air brake on channel 7, and program the AR636 for flaperons, but everyone says impossible. Anyone know different with DX9?
                    I don't know much about Spektrum, but when I searched YouTube for it, these following video below came up. I'm not sure if it's recommended, reliable, etc., or if it is still possible in the current receiver and transmitter (the video is old) firmware, but may be worth looking at to see.

Comment

• OK Hugh and T-CAT...…………..I've heard for awhile that it is possible to bind 2 DSM Rx to a DSM Tx (DSM is Spektrum/Lemon/Admiral) so it came time for me to verify this.

So I have a DX9 and I just successfully bound simultaneously a 7 chan Lemon stabilizer and a Admiral 10 chan to it (no satellites attached)
                      I then added a satillite to the 7 chan and rebound everything successfully again.
                      So the bottom line is it absolutely true.

The vid that TC referenced is about as simplistic as you can get for instruction

Now Hugh, regarding the CSR @ MRC telling you what they did He needs to apologize to ya and go get educated so as not to blow smoke up customers kiesters
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hugh, have you tried to bind the 2 RXs yet? Put the bind plug into both RXs, power them both up, then go at least 10 feet away and turn on the TX with the bind button held and keep holding it till it tells you "bind complete", power off and remove both bind plugs. Now, operationally speaking, make sure that you have no duplication of channels from one to the other. IE, on the 636, you have channels 1-6 in use. Make sure you've got NOTHING plugged into ch. 1-6 on the other RX. Oh, and any switches you have controlling ch. 1-6 are NOT controlling anything you've got on the channels of the other RX and vica versa.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                          OK Hugh and T-CAT...…………..I've heard for awhile that it is possible to bind 2 DSM Rx to a DSM Tx (DSM is Spektrum/Lemon/Admiral) so it came time for me to verify this.

So I have a DX9 and I just successfully bound simultaneously a 7 chan Lemon stabilizer and a Admiral 10 chan to it (no satellites attached)
                          I then added a satillite to the 7 chan and rebound everything successfully again.
                          So the bottom line is it absolutely true.

The vid that TC referenced is about as simplistic as you can get for instruction

Now Hugh, regarding the CSR @ MRC telling you what they did He needs to apologize to ya and go get educated so as not to blow smoke up customers kiesters
                          Hi Ov10, thanks for verifying this for Hugh. I have very little Spektrum experience just from helping some friends programming, so I was hoping all of you with more extensive Spektrum use to chime in. :)

Comment

• Thanks xviper, OV10 and T-Cat, haven't tried it yet, SU 30, DX9 and Admiral 10 channel on the way. Got the idea from you all in this thread earlier, thought these so called tech support guys were full of .!!!! Need to get the low down from all you experts. Thanks again, what would I do without you. Now can you fly my planes for me?
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• All, just an update from me. I went ahead and installed a spare AR7350 7ch RX and it works perfectly. Now I have flaperons and an airbrake. The previous method of using a delay circuit on the air brake and staying with the 6ch RX worked too. But I did not like that I had to deflect the alierons to the right and wait a few seconds to retract the airbrake after landing.

Comment

• Good news Paul, I saw the video mentioned above which looked easy, but like an idiot thought I'd call and confirm with Spektrum, which was no help. Said that they thought it could be done but needed a 2nd AR636 as it had to be the same. Well I knew that wasn't correct from what xviper said, needed a channel that wasn't already in use.

Paul, I assume you have a Spektrum transmitter and in the bind menu it had 2 rx to bind to as in the video. My DX 9 is in transit so can't check yet and out of town so can't look at my DX 6 to see the bind menu.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Below is proof positive that you can bind an AR636A and a Lemon RX at the same time. In my case, it was in an Eflite Opterra. I was able to use 2X6ch RXs because I used a "Buddy Box" (blue module) which split the two RXs into two pathways that acted one at a time. When one was working the other was bypassed, so the same channels didn't conflict with each other. In your case, that can't be done because you want both RXs operational at the same time (ie, you can't use a Buddy Box). That's why you must use different channels on each RX. My application is a lot more complicated than yours as it involved a "Return to Home" module that was later added. You'll notice that the Opterra is an "elevon" plane, which in a sense, is like a flaperon plane in that the ailerons need to be split. Have faith. I'm sure you WILL get it all to work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2805.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	235038

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    Below is proof positive that you can bind an AR636A and a Lemon RX at the same time. In my case, it was in an Eflite Opterra. I was able to use 2X6ch RXs because I used a "Buddy Box" (blue module) which split the two RXs into two pathways that acted one at a time. When one was working the other was bypassed, so the same channels didn't conflict with each other. In your case, that can't be done because you want both RXs operational at the same time (ie, you can't use a Buddy Box). That's why you must use different channels on each RX. My application is a lot more complicated than yours as it involved a "Return to Home" module that was later added. You'll notice that the Opterra is an "elevon" plane, which in a sense, is like a flaperon plane in that the ailerons need to be split. Have faith. I'm sure you WILL get it all to work.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2805.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	235038
                                    Muchas gracias mi amigo. Whoops, forgot I was in Miami and not everyone else was. Will follow up when I get it hooked up. Could wait for the 9 channel AS3X to come back in stock but for $160 for that receiver, makes no sense. The Admiral 10 channel was only $33, and a new AR636 IS $79, so even with a PNP the 2 together would be $60 less, but the BNF is only $30 more than the PNP so $63 gets me the AR636 & Admiral receiver. Sounds like a win win to me. If I keep these savings up, another new plane is sure to follow.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Muchas gracias mi amigo. Whoops, forgot I was in Miami and not everyone else was. Will follow up when I get it hooked up. Could wait for the 9 channel AS3X to come back in stock but for $160 for that receiver, makes no sense. The Admiral 10 channel was only $33, and a new AR636 IS $79, so even with a PNP the 2 together would be $60 less, but the BNF is only $30 more than the PNP so $63 gets me the AR636 & Admiral receiver. Sounds like a win win to me. If I keep these savings up, another new plane is sure to follow.
                                      Ha-ha, that's awesome. Sounds like a plan to me .

Comment

• BTW T-CAT, can't completely blame the MRC guy, Spektrum isn't their product although he did say that Spektrum and Futaba transmitters couldn't bind 2 receivers. I've spoken to the same guy on many occasions over the years and this is the first time he was wrong. But the tech guy at HH should have known his own product. He kept saying things like "it might be possible, in my experience", etc. I asked him what experience and he finally admitted he had no idea. He then said the 2 receivers had to be identical, both AR 636, at which time I said, impossible, I need it on channel 7 or above, so he went to ask someone else. After waiting for 45 minutes and no one coming back I hung up. I must be getting old and senile as I wouldn't have put up with that crap before.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

BTW T-CAT, can't completely blame the MRC guy, Spektrum isn't their product although he did say that Spektrum and Futaba transmitters couldn't bind 2 receivers. I've spoken to the same guy on many occasions over the years and this is the first time he was wrong. But the tech guy at HH should have known his own product. He kept saying things like "it might be possible, in my experience", etc. I asked him what experience and he finally admitted he had no idea. He then said the 2 receivers had to be identical, both AR 636, at which time I said, impossible, I need it on channel 7 or above, so he went to ask someone else. After waiting for 45 minutes and no one coming back I hung up. I must be getting old and senile as I wouldn't have put up with that crap before.
                                          The good thing is the hobbyist (not that the companies and reps. aren't hobbyist, but you know what I mean) have you covered for the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                          X