Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Yeah it boils down to using actual facts.... not just opinions

To date China Hobby Line, HRB and Gens Ace are my fave brands.
    I concur. I would like to give HRB a try next. I'm guessing I've currently got over 100 LiPos in two fire resistant safes. Some are getting old and will soon need replacing. I value "opinions" from those who are genuine and known for reliable experience, not from those who consider their experience as "fact". Based on what Hugh and yourself have said, I was going to give Roaring Tops a try but not anymore. The brand and the shop has been put in very poor light in my eyes due to the actions of one.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      I concur. I would like to give HRB a try next. I'm guessing I've currently got over 100 LiPos in two fire resistant safes. Some are getting old and will soon need replacing. I value "opinions" from those who are genuine and known for reliable experience, not from those who consider their experience as "fact". Based on what Hugh and yourself have said, I was going to give Roaring Tops a try but not anymore. The brand and the shop has been put in very poor light in my eyes due to the actions of one.
      XV, as I mentioned earlier, a good friend of mine who is an exceptional EDF guy flies nothing but HRB. I'd love to try them so if you do, let us know how they perform. I've looked on the internet and found they are mostly priced the same or slightly higher (5000 mah 100C at $150) than a comparable RT, although Amazon sells them for $114, about $15 cheaper than the 5500 70C RT. For the moment, I'll end up using the RT's for a while as they are better than what I had been using.

On another note, I'm sure you're about ready for your SU-30 maiden, yes? I'm Interested to get your take on it. About the only mechanical thing I changed on mine was the way the balls were secured to the control horns. Mentioned earlier that I actually broke a horn with my "meat hook" fingers and felt that the little screw holding the ball in was a weak point. I'm probably just paranoid, but it looked like it could strip easily and pop out. So I changed it to the FL metal balls and bolts (see photos). Changed all surfaces to that, but the only concern I really had was on the elevator, as I could just imagine that little screw coming out and loosing one of the stabilizers-doubt the jet would make it home in one piece after that. No one else has complained about it, so most likely I'm just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200316_143403.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	242826

Name:	20200316_143409.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	242827
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
        On another note, I'm sure you're about ready for your SU-30 maiden, yes? I'm Interested to get your take on it.
        I so wish. It's still quite cold here and the flying field runway won't be clear of snow for another several weeks yet. It's supposed to snow again the next few days. It'll be a very busy and exciting spring - 4 new planes to maiden.

Comment

• xviper, you lucky dog, 4 new planes and you must be getting a bit of cabin fever. At least the cold probably is not a good environment for corona! Down here the stores are empty of almost everything, mass hysteria. No fruits or vegetables, no disinfectants, no dairy products or water and no toilet paper even-guess everyone expects to get screaming diarrhea.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

xviper, you lucky dog, 4 new planes and you must be getting a bit of cabin fever. At least the cold probably is not a good environment for corona! Down here the stores are empty of almost everything, mass hysteria. No fruits or vegetables, no disinfectants, no dairy products or water and no toilet paper even-guess everyone expects to get screaming diarrhea.
            The trouble with not being able to fly much, is that it leaves so much time to get sucked into buying new planes. I've even finished all the repairs from last season. Nothing to repair, nothing to build. No room to store any more anyway.
            I'm not sure if it's the cold that keeps the virus at bay. Considering what's going on in the rest of the world, we've been fairly fortunate in that we've only recorded 1 death from it in the whole country and he was very old and already with many other health issues. We're just sold out of t.p. and sanitizer. However, the CEO of the biggest t.p. manufacturer says they've been going non-stop and very soon, we'll be "rolling" in it.

Comment

• Jeremy needed some low passes for pictures. Spring has definitely sprung in the mountains of Utah. The whole group was able to get together and fly during this craziness. Hope everyone else is getting some air time too!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post
                Jeremy needed some low passes for pictures. Spring has definitely sprung in the mountains of Utah. The whole group was able to get together and fly during this craziness. Hope everyone else is getting some air time too!
                Excellent photos, great that at least some of you guys can get out for some air time. The After Burners looks outstanding. Installed them in mine as well and they show up great even in sunlight as the aft portion of the inrunners are fairly close to the end of the nozzles. Both of the fields that we fly at are closed, but was lucky enough to get in about 10 flights (including the maiden) of my SU-30 just before they did. Love the way it flies, but just makes me a little crazier than normal that I can't get out again for a while. And the Flight Simulator just doesn't cut it after a while! Post some more of your great videos when you can so I can at least not forget what flying looks like.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Excellent photos, great that at least some of you guys can get out for some air time. The After Burners looks outstanding. Installed them in mine as well and they show up great even in sunlight as the aft portion of the inrunners are fairly close to the end of the nozzles. Both of the fields that we fly at are closed, but was lucky enough to get in about 10 flights (including the maiden) of my SU-30 just before they did. Love the way it flies, but just makes me a little crazier than normal that I can't get out again for a while. And the Flight Simulator just doesn't cut it after a while! Post some more of your great videos when you can so I can at least not forget what flying looks like.
                  Just sneak out to a back highway. Not much traffic these days. 👍🏼👍🏼

Comment

• Great night to get out and put a few flights down. Though I have to admit I was distracted by my friends throughout the hobby who don’t get to fly right now. I hope everyone that can’t fly is building, mod’ing, or researching how to. Looking forward to getting through this together and seeing what everyone is coming up with.

Kind of a special night, 200 flights on this gorgeous bird now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• With all the social distancing, a welcome surprise.
                      Wanted to give everybody something to watch and inspire more mods on our aircraft!

A FANTASTIC new “Burner” product for the 80mm and smaller EDFs! People asked and The RC Geek delivers! The full install tutorial for the twin 70mm Mini Burners. This jet looks and flys AH’mazing on them! Stay tuned for the full flight video!

Get yours here!
                      The original CenterBurner line of simulated afterburner lighting systems is the world’s best and most trusted simulated afterburner lighting system! Designed around a custom built LED light boards, it provides a center "glow" and flame effect like a full size jet aircraft afterburner!
                      Attached Files

Comment

With all the social distancing, a welcome surprise.
                        Wanted to give everybody something to watch and inspire more mods on our aircraft!

A FANTASTIC new “Burner” product for the 80mm and smaller EDFs! People asked and The RC Geek delivers! The full install tutorial for the twin 70mm Mini Burners. This jet looks and flys AH’mazing on them! Stay tuned for the full flight video!

Get yours here!
                        https://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/
                        Nice install video, I too installed Chris's AB in the SU-30 and absolutely love them. The inrunners are fairly close to the end of the nozzles (unlike some other jets) so the "fire" shows up great even in the Florida sun. Installing the AC aluminum tape is a must with this jet and unlike the F-4 or some others is fairly easy to accomplish using the method JLambCWU describes. I use some long 1/2" to 3/4" dowel rods (rounded at the end) to lay each piece in (with a piece of tape on the end holding the aluminum foil) then press into place and rub down securely.

Chris usually includes M3 set screws to screw the AB onto the motor. I use the M3 set screws that are 4-6mm in length and they work perfectly without having to cut any screw head off. You can pick a set of those up from Amazon.

I now have Chris's AB in all my jets (sadly only 7 of them), and wouldn't be without them, such an easy to install mod that really shows off. Chris just came out with an afterburner that has 2 cones sitting on one motor for the twin tail pipe F-4 and F-18. I just received 3 of them in the mail today and will replace the single LED cone with those on my 2 F-4's and F-18.

Name:	20200223_203937.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	247046

Man, I miss flying
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• FLIGHT DEMO, here it is! Volume UP!
                          The new MiniBurner from the RC Geek. Full demo showing how good these burners look in daylight clear into the evening in the gorgeous Spring skies over Utah. The most realistic burner lights available, and new lower pricing!

I was going to use just a few clips, but with so many people locked in, I wanted to put something longer together for everyone. If you want that realistic afterburner effect in your 80mm and smaller EDF jets, the new mini’burner is a winner. Get yours at https://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/.

See my full install video here

HUGE thanks to camera girl that makes these videos possible!

Demo flights powered by Roaring Top 70C lipos. Get them at www.rcjetwerx.com

Comment

FLIGHT DEMO, here it is! Volume UP!
                            The new MiniBurner from the RC Geek. Full demo showing how good these burners look in daylight clear into the evening in the gorgeous Spring skies over Utah. The most realistic burner lights available, and new lower pricing!

I was going to use just a few clips, but with so many people locked in, I wanted to put something longer together for everyone. If you want that realistic afterburner effect in your 80mm and smaller EDF jets, the new mini’burner is a winner. Get yours at https://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/.

See my full install video here

HUGE thanks to camera girl that makes these videos possible!

Demo flights powered by Roaring Top 70C lipos. Get them at www.rcjetwerx.com
                            As usual, another great video. Quick question, I have the "older" (from 2 months ago) larger burners, and I "think" they work fantastic, with each having 21 LED lights. The new smaller ones you just installed I guess each have about 15 LED lights. Seems that the older ones (with 12 total LED lights more) might actually look brighter, but are the older AB's reducing air flow off the fan versus the smaller ones? I have always flown it with the larger AB's (granted, only got about a dozen flights in before the shutdown) and I can't compare the difference in thrust versus the smaller ones.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

As usual, another great video. Quick question, I have the "older" (from 2 months ago) larger burners, and I "think" they work fantastic, with each having 21 LED lights. The new smaller ones you just installed I guess each have about 15 LED lights. Seems that the older ones (with 12 total LED lights more) might actually look brighter, but are the older AB's reducing air flow off the fan versus the smaller ones? I have always flown it with the larger AB's (granted, only got about a dozen flights in before the shutdown) and I can't compare the difference in thrust versus the smaller ones.
                              Thanks! Really wanted to give people something to watch in these crazy times.
                              While I don’t have a luminosity meter, the new ones are just as bright in a side by side comparison. Using the old large cones on my 70mm F-16 showed a degradation in performance.
                              It is largely based on the diameter of the motor coming back to the afterburner cone. The bigger the motor diameter, the bigger the cone you can have without interfering with the airflow. The new 70 mm inrunner motors are quite narrow compared to the older and out runners. This necessitates a smaller board and cone to not interfere with the airflow aft of the motor. The newer light boards with the flicker are smaller to keep the cone narrow from the motor all the way aft. This way you have an realistic looking flicker from a custom board that has a very slight difference in ignition timing on a twin setup, all without affecting performance, which like the batteries, I’m huge on. Definitely looks more authentic than using LED turn signals in the jet! 👍🏼👍🏼

Comment

• I don't yet have the Su-30 and will actually be waiting until I can actually get the one from china made by FMS with the upgrades... but that doesn't mean that I haven't been working with it and getting some decent video! My fellow RC nut Nate has let me do some work on his and we have been doing lots of flying together. Here are some of the videos from the last couple weeks.

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I don't yet have the Su-30 and will actually be waiting until I can actually get the one from china made by FMS with the upgrades... but that doesn't mean that I haven't been working with it and getting some decent video! My fellow RC nut Nate has let me do some work on his and we have been doing lots of flying together. Here are some of the videos from the last couple weeks.

WOW, great videos, incredible flying, including high alpha passes and exceptional high alpha landings. You both fly beautifully, I'm severely jealous. Must be the gooniac afterburners, outstanding!!!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

WOW, great videos, incredible flying, including high alpha passes and exceptional high alpha landings. You both fly beautifully, I'm severely jealous. Must be the gooniac afterburners, outstanding!!!
                                    Thank you!! Nate is 14 and just blows me away with his style of flying! The kid is good!! Here is another of us but this is Hat cam... and the other is a demo of him showing what the plane can do...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Thank you!! Nate is 14 and just blows me away with his style of flying! The kid is good!! Here is another of us but this is Hat cam... and the other is a demo of him showing what the plane can do...

Keep the videos coming, at least we get to see some flying. BTW, do you have your burners hooked up to the throttle, or do you have them with an on/off switch? Looks like you can make them come on without having the fans going.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Does anyone know if a AR636 AS3X transmitter setup file is available for the SU30?

Comment

• Originally posted by DForbes View Post
                                          Does anyone know if a AR636 AS3X transmitter setup file is available for the SU30?
                                          I couldn't find one, but decided to remove the stock RX and put in my own Spectrum 12 channel RX as I wanted flaperons and tailerons. It's a very stable flyer and doesn't really need a gyro.

Comment

Working...
                                          X