First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse L-39 Albatros 90mm EDF Jet Discussion Thread

Product Page: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...s-90mm-jet-arf

L-39 Albatros 90mm EDF Jet from Black Horse - Balsa Wood ARF - BHL3000

The Aero L-39 Albatros is a high-performance jet trainer developed in Czechoslovakia by Aero Vodochody. It was designed during the 1960s as a replacement for the Aero L-29 Delfín as a principal training aircraft. It was the first trainer aircraft to be equipped with a turbofan powerplant. The type was exported to a wide range of countries as a military trainer.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:7 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can be operated using an electric 90mm EDF setup. Comes covered in Oracover with a sporty and bold blue and white paint scheme. CNC cut balsa and plywood construction for strength and durability.

Visit the Official Black Horse L-39 Albatros 90mm EDF Jet Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A. FEATURES:

• ARF model convenience for quick build
    • CNC cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Oracover covered in an attractive blue and white scheme
    • Wing comes in 2 parts to facilitate transportation
    • Control surfaces: Ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps
    • Scale suspended oleo struts (electric retracts not included)
    • Hand painted pilots and cockpit detail
    INCLUDES:

• Black Horse L-39 Albatros 90mm EDF Jet - ARF
    • Scale CNC suspension oleo struts
    REQUIRES:

Customer Note
    Black Horse ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine). PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 14 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    BUILD TIME : 6+ HOURS
    Model Scale 1:7.5 Scale
    Wingspan 1450mm / 57in
    Length 1860mm /73.2in
    Weight 4535g / 10.1lbs
    CG (Center of Gravity) Refer to the owner's manual
    Power System 10-12 Blade EDF with Inrunner Brushless Motor (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 120A
    Propeller / EDF 10-12 Blade EDF (required)
    Servos Electric - 8 x 45g standard (required)
    Landing Gear Electric retractable gear 73.5 x 44 x 28mm (required)
    Required Battery TWO 5 Cell 18.5V 4000 mAh LiPo Batteries with EC5 connector in series (required for 10S setup)
    Required Radio 8 Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights N/A
    Hinge Type Nylon Heavy Duty pin hinges
    Material Balsa and plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I am so glad to see that bigger jets are coming to MRC! Excellent, thank you!

Comment

I agree, PaulZ! We've been working on bringing in bigger birds,, and Black Horse's popular 90mm 10s Albatros is a good place to start. It is noticeably larger than our Freewing 80mm 6s with similar although not identical flight characteristics.

For anyone wondering, this Black Horse L-39 is fully sheeted, too!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The pdf file for the instruction manual on the product support tab link is damaged per Adobe.
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I love it Alpha!!! Thank you
          The next jet should be Black Horse MIG 29. Please!!

Comment

Looks like a great plane to convert to turbine also. Maybe take off the covering, glass it lightly and paint too.

Comment

Excellent to see this. Great job . I would like to see some fiberglass or glass/balsa hybrid models offered by Motion as well.

Comment

alibakhti I have concerns about the MiG-29, having flown it, as does Black Horse. Perhaps we can forge an alternative way forward, because I do love the Fulcrum

Here are a few extra photos I took of Black Horse's L-39. Deceptively quick and some of you are right, it's a worthy candidate for turbine conversion. In fact subscribe to this thread for more news on that front.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05950.JPG
Views:	4441
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	224186Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06038.JPG
Views:	4376
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	224188

Name:	DSC06026.JPG
Views:	4407
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	224187Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06031.JPG
Views:	4296
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	224185

Comment

On my list for 2020. At this rate, I might have to set up direct deposit at MRC.......

Comment

I'm thinking JP Hobby 105 or 120 Fan unit !!!!! Do we know what kind of retracts are going to be used ?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrellmims View Post
                      I'm thinking JP Hobby 105 or 120 Fan unit !!!!! Do we know what kind of retracts are going to be used ?
                      That's gonna be an extreme mod to shoehorn either one of those units into a 90mm airframe
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

It's a big bird, I'd say the ducts can handle 105mm, but 120mm would likely require aux inlets and definitely new forward ducts. I'll measure next time I'm there.

Name:	IMG_20191222_075915.jpg
Views:	4247
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	224239

OV10 is right, the physical surgery for 120mm is an entirely new chore.

If this were my daily driver, I would run it on a 90mm Wemo 10s setup for an economical package. If I wanted a showpiece, I'd run it on 90mm 12s JetFan or just convert to turbine. But that's just me.

Comment

Yes the 105 might be a better choice since I haven't seen the structure . I have the HSD F-16 with the 105 and it's ok power , my buddy has the same plane with the 120 and it hauls the mail ! Larger inlets maybe needed for this

Comment

Alpha, have you spoken with Black Horse regarding creation of new designs/models of wood aircraft?

Also, hopefully they (and Motion) would consider a "turbine conversion" version so to speak. It could come with turbine conversion in mind, and offer the kit with necessary components such as a fuel tank with fittings, pipe, possibly a UAT, etc., with or without it being installed from the factory.

Comment

Alpha, this jet looks terrific! I have a Phoenix Models Hawk that is very similar in size and weight to the L39, and the construction method of laser cut ply and balsa sheeting appears to be similar too. Most of my jets with a turbine are either foam or composite and with my favourite engine, the tiny X45, this will power a jet from 3-6kgs, so this gives any potential small jet conversion a huge range of models to choose from. What really stood out for me about these ply/balsa jets is how strong and light they are! If I hadn't bought my Hawk, this would probably be on my Christmas list, plus it would be good if Motion made available a turbine conversion kit. These pics show my Hawk just to give a idea of how easy it is to convert a good quality 90mm EDF jet to turbine.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Updates to follow, guys, all in good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                  Updates to follow, guys, all in good time.
                                  You are awesome

Have a Merry Christmas and looking forward to some more jet offerings and new turbine conversions!

Rich

Comment

Wheels brakes are important for US pilots while we’re talking about conversions

Comment

It looks like the graphics on the tail aren't quite complete.

Comment

I have the Blackhorse L-39 and have been flying it for a few years.

The ducts are pretty bad. there is a big cheater hole right in the middle of them. i tried to plug the hole since the intakes are large enough for 90mm....bad idea. i put the cheater back in, much better. the way the ducts come together is an issue.

You will be hard pressed to get a fan bigger than 90mm in here unless you severly hack and modify the exhaust outlet. it is very small and designed of plastic and fiberglass so not easily modded...and it is sized for 90mm. A bigger fan will physically fit in the fuse it's just the outlet will be the issue.

yes, the graphics are incomplete. i purchased mine secondhand and the previous owner was able to track down someone to complete the graphics. you can see mine are complete.

I fly mine on a 12s 90mm Tamjet fan with Jetfan rotor, HET 1200kv motor // 90mm is fine a bigger fan is not needed. FYI, i like wemotec products but the jetfan rotor works better than the midifan in this intake.

Having said all that I love the way it flies! it is big and looks great in the air.

if you have any questions feel free to ask...
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X