Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoooo! I get mine tomorrow. I don't know what it is about this jet, but I'm more excited about this one than the last 2. Won't be able to get this maiden til spring though, we have at the moment in northern Idaho about 6" of snow and we'll be getting more. No probs, I'll have plenty of time for the repaint and tweaks as I see them.

fly'em if you got'em .....out

Comment

• I kinda like ole "Moose".

Click image for larger version

Name:	57485940_2755555084471121_1042938421632303104_o.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	227343

Click image for larger version

Name:	19643825003_9ffbc72d67_b.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	227344

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
        My T-33 landed on my door step this afternoon. I'm about to crack the seal.

RE: Motion vs. HH...
        I'm not much of a fan of HH, for a few reasons. Their prices are really getting high, especially in the size class that I like to fly. They're so stuck on putting SAFE-select receivers, and now smart ESCs, in all of their planes. I realize that it's probably cheaper for them to use only one receiver for all of their BNF planes, and it probably doesn't cost them much more to use a 'tricked out' receiver. However, as their prices increase, it does give the appearance that the SAFE-enabled receiver contributes to that. Irrationally, I'll admit, it eats at me that a company would put a SAFE receiver in an advanced, or at least strong intermediate, aircraft, as if that plane is suitable for a beginner pilot. I've heard good things about their F-4 and FA-18 and Su-30. I'm really liking the looks and size of the Su-30 and may get one eventually, and an 80mm FA-18, too, even though I'm not really into modern jets/EDFs. I also don't think that HH listens to their customers. They seem to only want to produce what sells fast (I get it, they want to make money), but OMG, how many different P-51s and Timbers do we need???? I really like Motion's business model. I feel that they listen to the more advanced pilots and try to bring products that'll appeal to them. Although Motion's prices are certainly going up, I feel that they are still very fair. I didn't hesitate to punch the preorder-now button for the T-33 as soon as it became available. I think that Alpha, James, and the rest of crew listen and want to release exciting new warbirds and jets. They can't please everyone (speaking of which, where the hell is my Do-335?!), but they do seem to try, and much more so than their competition does.
        I’m not sure you’re understanding safe select and how it’s enabled. You don’t have to activate safe select, it’s turned on or off by how you bind the receiver. Plus, you update the receiver AR636 with 1.43 and it open platform that you can customize the gain/priority settings to your liking. In my opinion, the AS3X is great. The priority setting alone makes it a standout.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scale Master View Post

well Mike Horizon will let hobby shop dealers profit share at 30%. Well at least that's what my buddy is getting from the hobby shop he own here in the LA area.
          That's not correct and I have no idea where your buddy got that info.. I've been associated with the LHS for years and years and deal with Horizon on a daily basis. They do not set selling prices.The only way you'll get 30% is selling at MRP which one in the right mind does. Sure you can mark them up that hight but they will sit and sit which costs you money in the long. The only agreement on pricing is a dealer must abide to is the MAP agreement. Now if you want to stay in business very long 30 to 35% profit margin would be a good start to cover overhead. We sell all air-frames , cars and drones at MAP and make up margin in other places. The only time you get a pretty decent ( but not great ) margin is on intro buys on new releases which is a risk as you never can tell how something will sell. He was probably better off not going though with his shop as it's a very tough to survive in today's environment.

On a side note mine will be here Tuesday.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

My T-33 landed on my door step this afternoon. I'm about to crack the seal.

RE: Motion vs. HH...
            I'm not much of a fan of HH, for a few reasons. Their prices are really getting high, especially in the size class that I like to fly. They're so stuck on putting SAFE-select receivers, and now smart ESCs, in all of their planes. I realize that it's probably cheaper for them to use only one receiver for all of their BNF planes, and it probably doesn't cost them much more to use a 'tricked out' receiver. However, as their prices increase, it does give the appearance that the SAFE-enabled receiver contributes to that. Irrationally, I'll admit, it eats at me that a company would put a SAFE receiver in an advanced, or at least strong intermediate, aircraft, as if that plane is suitable for a beginner pilot. I've heard good things about their F-4 and FA-18 and Su-30. I'm really liking the looks and size of the Su-30 and may get one eventually, and an 80mm FA-18, too, even though I'm not really into modern jets/EDFs. I also don't think that HH listens to their customers. They seem to only want to produce what sells fast (I get it, they want to make money), but OMG, how many different P-51s and Timbers do we need???? I really like Motion's business model. I feel that they listen to the more advanced pilots and try to bring products that'll appeal to them. Although Motion's prices are certainly going up, I feel that they are still very fair. I didn't hesitate to punch the preorder-now button for the T-33 as soon as it became available. I think that Alpha, James, and the rest of crew listen and want to release exciting new warbirds and jets. They can't please everyone (speaking of which, where the hell is my Do-335?!), but they do seem to try, and much more so than their competition does.
            Buy the PNP add your own receiver.
            Mike

Comment

• Wish it would come a base gray version also.

Comment

• Yea, rethinking it was that customers could buy items direct at a lower price than the hobby shop paid Horizon. And yes we were required to have the for sale price at what would now be called MAP. This was in the 1990's when Horizon was #2 behind Great Planes.

Bottom line the hobby shop made very little or nothing or even lost money on things like kits, radios and engines. Almost all the profit was on hardware, fuel and parts, especially car parts.

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

I have no clue where you got that. The LHS can't advertise a lesser price than MAP but can give it away if they please.

Mike

Comment

• Just unboxed everything, it looks great. Just to be safe, I bound up my Rx and tested the ESC/EDF; also calibrated the throttle. All good.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

I’m not sure you’re understanding safe select and how it’s enabled. You don’t have to activate safe select, it’s turned on or off by how you bind the receiver. Plus, you update the receiver AR636 with 1.43 and it open platform that you can customize the gain/priority settings to your liking. In my opinion, the AS3X is great. The priority setting alone makes it a standout.
                    I do understand how SAFE-select works. I'm really just whining about the concept and added cost of having a SAFE-capable receiver in a plane advanced enough that no one should need (or want) SAFE to fly that plane. Costs are going up across the board (to be expected, and we're seeing a lot of really upgrades, such as the EDF and retracts in this T-33), but it just strikes me that the very significant cost increase in intermediate/advanced HH fixed wing aircraft wouldn't be so bad if they didn't include the more costly SAFE-enhanced receivers in their BNFs. If you buy the PNP version instead, they only cut the price by about $30. If they cut it by $100 for receiver-less planes, I'd be much more inclined to get one. I'm still jonesing over the Su-30, but am having a hard time swallowing that price tag. On the other hand, I didn't blink at pulling the trigger on this T-33. We all have our thresholds of pain and likes/dislikes. I guess I'm really saying that I'm a really big fan of Motion as a company, their offerings, and the appearance that they listen to their customers and try to be responsive as much as they can, while still being able to stay in business.

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                    Buy the PNP add your own receiver.

Mike
                    I know. Then, I add another $50 to get a 10-channel Admiral. I know, I could also sell the AR636, probably around $50 or $60, but I personally don't want to deal with the hassle.

I'm just telling you why it is that I'm down on HH products, and high on Motion products. There are puts and takes. There are few things that I'm not wild about in Motion/Flightline/Freewing products, but they're quite minor compared to my squawks about HH products. For example. I don't want blue boxes and multi-connector ribbon cables in my planes, if I don't have to remove the wing. These were included in the T-33. It was a 10-minute job to remove the blue box, multi-connector hubs, add and label some servo extensions and Y's, to plumb all of the servos directly into the receiver. (Only my gear, and my Rudder/NG-steering, are Y'd. Everything else has its own channel).

BTW, my T-33 is fully assembled and eyeball trimmed. She's ready to maiden. Unfortunately, the weather is total crap today and tomorrow, here in N. Alabama. [edit] Hmm, after writing this, I'm thinking why did I choose to give each flap servo its own channel, yet have my NG steering and Rudder Y'd. I'd rather be able to subtrim my NG steering, than my flaps. I've already used up the 9 channels that my DX9 can handle. Guess, I need to jump back in to do a little rewiring and to write a mix for NG steering.
                    ---
                    Warbirder

Comment

I do understand how SAFE-select works. I'm really just whining about the concept and added cost of having a SAFE-capable receiver in a plane advanced enough that no one should need (or want) SAFE to fly that plane. Costs are going up across the board (to be expected, and we're seeing a lot of really upgrades, such as the EDF and retracts in this T-33), but it just strikes me that the very significant cost increase in intermediate/advanced HH fixed wing aircraft wouldn't be so bad if they didn't include the more costly SAFE-enhanced receivers in their BNFs. If you buy the PNP version instead, they only cut the price by about $30. If they cut it by $100 for receiver-less planes, I'd be much more inclined to get one. I'm still jonesing over the Su-30, but am having a hard time swallowing that price tag. On the other hand, I didn't blink at pulling the trigger on this T-33. We all have our thresholds of pain and likes/dislikes. I guess I'm really saying that I'm a really big fan of Motion as a company, their offerings, and the appearance that they listen to their customers and try to be responsive as much as they can, while still being able to stay in business.

I know. Then, I add another $50 to get a 10-channel Admiral. I know, I could also sell the AR636, probably around $50 or $60, but I personally don't want to deal with the hassle.

I'm just telling you why it is that I'm down on HH products, and high on Motion products. There are puts and takes. There are few things that I'm not wild about in Motion/Flightline/Freewing products, but they're quite minor compared to my squawks about HH products. For example. I don't want blue boxes and multi-connector ribbon cables in my planes, if I don't have to remove the wing. These were included in the T-33. It was a 10-minute job to remove the blue box, multi-connector hubs, add and label some servo extensions and Y's, to plumb all of the servos directly into the receiver. (Only my gear, and my Rudder/NG-steering, are Y'd. Everything else has its own channel)
                      A plane that (as you say) is "advanced" enough that noone should need SAFE, are those that are now in the $500.00 price range. The difference between a BNF and PNP for these types of planes is about $40.00. That's less than 10% of the price. You might be able to sell an AR636 that you've taken out of a BNF plane but I highly doubt that you will find someone who will actually pay you that for it, especially when they know that it only cost you an additional 40 bucks to get it. I have 3 of these 636's in a bag that people have simply given to me for free.
                      For me, I try to buy the BNF simply because it's less hassle than to get a PNP and do all that stuff you just said. I like many of my "advanced" planes with a gyro for those windy days and having a RX already in the plane makes it very easy. Certainly, there are those models that I would prefer to put my own RX and gyro in for various reasons. For example, the current SU-30. I'm getting the BNF version but after I fly it, I may dump the RX in favor of my own RX and gyro just so I can put the airbrake on a separate channel. But that's just my own idiosyncrasy
                      PS. Many of these SAFE planes from Horizon (in that price range) can be had as a PNP, so nobody is "forced" to buy them with a RX they don't want.

Comment

I'm just telling you why it is that I'm down on HH products, and high on Motion products. There are puts and takes. There are few things that I'm not wild about in Motion/Flightline/Freewing products, but they're quite minor compared to my squawks about HH products. For example. I don't want blue boxes and multi-connector ribbon cables in my planes, if I don't have to remove the wing. These were included in the T-33. It was a 10-minute job to remove the blue box, multi-connector hubs, add and label some servo extensions and Y's, to plumb all of the servos directly into the receiver. (Only my gear, and my Rudder/NG-steering, are Y'd. Everything else has its own channel).

BTW, my T-33 is fully assembled and eyeball trimmed. She's ready to maiden. Unfortunately, the weather is total crap today and tomorrow, here in N. Alabama. [edit] Hmm, after writing this, I'm thinking why did I choose to give each flap servo its own channel, yet have my NG steering and Rudder Y'd. I'd rather be able to subtrim my NG steering, than my flaps. I've already used up the 9 channels that my DX9 can handle. Guess, I need to jump back in to do a little rewiring and to write a mix for NG steering.
                        I buy whoever has what I'm looking for. I have a garage full of Freewing Flightline, Eflight and now ProFly. products. Life is good.

Mike

Comment

• I just opened the box containing the T-33. Beautiful!

Question. I have one of these Admiral RX600SP 6 Channel Receivers with Stability Plus Gyro sitting around that I have not used yet.
                          At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Has anyone here used it in an 80mm EDF or something similar? I’ve read good things overall, but wanted to seek out a little more info before using it in my new T-33.
                          Thanks!

Comment

• I'm in!! Everything looks good so far.

Comment

• No blue box or wing cables. Individual extensions. All channels programmed individually. Jeti assist on a removable plastic sheet screwed to the blue box tray. Wires covered. Assist programming and then cg ...

I had a few a small dings and paint issues right from the box. Also one of my gear doors sticks up a little. It looks really really good. The red and black paint flake much easier than the silver. Luckily testors red is very close. Cant wait to get in in the air.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The stock location of the blue box just happens to be the best place to mount the AR636A receiver. Easy fix just mounting the blue box on a platform. Never had any issues with the blue box, but will only used it for the flaps and gear most likely.

Very impressed with the T-33 so far, very high quality.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Is the black "wing walk" sections on each wing a waterside decal or black paint?

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                    Is the black "wing walk" sections on each wing a waterside decal or black paint?
                                    water slide decal

Comment

• Thanks John . That's what I was hoping for. The less black paint to "gator" in the sun, the better. Ha-ha

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

I buy whoever has what I'm looking for. I have a garage full of Freewing Flightline, Eflight and now ProFly. products. Life is good.

Mike
                                        I do, too, but price out the door certainly plays into it. My nicest plane is my 91" Phoenix Model ARF. As it sits now, I've probably tripled the price of the ARF itself (I'm scared to actually add up the receipts to know for sure...LOL), but the purchases were done over several months. I've never been much into modern jets, but the EFlite Su-30 and FA-18 are both looking really nice to me, albeit pricey.
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by kevin View Post
                                          No blue box or wing cables. Individual extensions. All channels programmed individually. Jeti assist on a removable plastic sheet screwed to the blue box tray. Wires covered. Assist programming and then cg ...

I had a few a small dings and paint issues right from the box. Also one of my gear doors sticks up a little. It looks really really good. The red and black paint flake much easier than the silver. Luckily testors red is very close. Cant wait to get in in the air.
                                          I did the same, except I haven't cleaned up my cables as nicely as yours. I did zip-tie them together and pushed them behind the RX. I just finished giving the NG steering servo its own channel and have finished and tested the mix. That's a really nice feature that I'm going to retrofit into my nicer planes with NG or tail-wheel steering. I even put the NG Steering Servo on the R Knob (DX9) and can now subtrim the steering realtime.
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X