X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's lookin' like a P-80!
    Nice work, should look awesome all dressed up.

Comment

• tab28682, Great work. Sir. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Nothing all too special about this picture. It just shows the return of the T-33 after completing flights #4-8 today. What is special however, is this jet. I want to express my absolute pleasure with my T-33 experience. It is a joy to fly. Our RC Club is at an elevation of 4500’, with a paved runway of 500’. The T-33 is a great performer, even at our altitude on a warm day. It’s speed range is wide. Stable in both slow flight as well as full throttle and high speed. It can be flown scale, or dial up the throttle and it gives powerful vertical performance. Precise 4 point rolls are beautiful. Landing approach is stable and predictable. I’m currently running Admiral 6s 5000’s with the timer set to 3:30. I have been typically landing at about the 4:00 mark. Batteries show 22.7-ish volts. And I tend to lay into the throttle, I like it fast. All around a great performer with no apparent bad habits whatsoever. Very pleased with the T-33. I will be purchasing another when they are back in stock. I don’t want
        to be without one. Happy flying!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	F7A85AB7-9699-479A-9381-C1060F39C47E.jpeg
Views:	1147
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	253914

Comment

• This may have come up somewhere in the over 50 pages of discussion on the T-33, but if it hasn't, I wanted to ask if anyone has used wheel brakes on their planes to limit the ground roll on landing. The field I fly from has paved runways, but short and rough. Plus, it is at 5000 feet altitude, so approach speeds are a little faster than at sea level. My problem is that my plane, with no headwind has a tendency to roll through the end of the runway and into some pretty serious weeds and rough terrain when it occasionally departs the end of the runway at low speed. Even at these low speeds, I've had damage to the nose gear servo when the gear collapsed into a small hole. I strive to put the airplane at minimum speed, landing flaps, etc., but this plane just rolls forever, it seems. I don't have this problem with other planes I have that fly from this field.

So, if anyone has any tips for wheel brakes, what kind you use, how you hook them up, etc., that would be very much appreciated. I haven't ever installed wheel brakes before, but in this case for me, they're definitely warranted. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
            This may have come up somewhere in the over 50 pages of discussion on the T-33, but if it hasn't, I wanted to ask if anyone has used wheel brakes on their planes to limit the ground roll on landing. The field I fly from has paved runways, but short and rough. Plus, it is at 5000 feet altitude, so approach speeds are a little faster than at sea level. My problem is that my plane, with no headwind has a tendency to roll through the end of the runway and into some pretty serious weeds and rough terrain when it occasionally departs the end of the runway at low speed. Even at these low speeds, I've had damage to the nose gear servo when the gear collapsed into a small hole. I strive to put the airplane at minimum speed, landing flaps, etc., but this plane just rolls forever, it seems. I don't have this problem with other planes I have that fly from this field.

So, if anyone has any tips for wheel brakes, what kind you use, how you hook them up, etc., that would be very much appreciated. I haven't ever installed wheel brakes before, but in this case for me, they're definitely warranted. Thanks!
            I'd say the most common wheel brakes now a days is from JP Hobby electric brakes. Just be sure to order the correct wheel size and wheel axle diameter.

The wheels with brakes are quite heavy, so check CG and adjust distributed weight via your LiPo to ensure your CG/CG range is where you want it after installing the wheel brakes. If there is some odd differential braking occurs between each wheel, the manufacturer has stated some fixes, as well as members have provided added detail if you need it when the time comes. Sometimes you get a pair that brakes evenly, or evenly enough. Also, be sure to connect the wheel brakes properly with polarity, voltage, and Transmitter activation for the desired brake force.

For the money, it's difficult to beat the JP wheel brakes. They are also rather widely available from many vendors due to their popularity, and in various wheel sizes and axle diameters.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

I'd say the most common wheel brakes now a days is from JP Hobby electric brakes. Just be sure to order the correct wheel size and wheel axle diameter.

The wheels with brakes are quite heavy, so check CG and adjust distributed weight via your LiPo to ensure your CG/CG range is where you want it after installing the wheel brakes. If there is some odd differential braking occurs between each wheel, the manufacturer has stated some fixes, as well as members have provided added detail if you need it when the time comes. Sometimes you get a pair that brakes evenly, or evenly enough. Also, be sure to connect the wheel brakes properly with polarity, voltage, and Transmitter activation for the desired brake force.

For the money, it's difficult to beat the JP wheel brakes. They are also rather widely available from many vendors due to their popularity, and in various wheel sizes and axle diameters.
              Thanks, T-Cat. I'll look into it!

Comment

• Finally! Got my email notification that USAF T-33's are in stock. Not sure how many they received but mines on the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                  Finally! Got my email notification that USAF T-33's are in stock. Not sure how many they received but mines on the way.
                  Yes! I picked up another for use as a backup. I don’t want to be without a T-33.

Comment

• Just got notice that the Air Force T-33 is back in stock and ordered one last nite. I had chatted with Motion the night before with them saying it would be another thirty days, guess they were as surprised as I was! Can’t wait to get this bird up, hope it flys as good as my Avanti!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dkurtzid View Post

I like your mods!!

Did shortening the main LG create any issues with the wheel well clearance when retracted? Or the door closing mechanism? Or is the lower squat all due to the Softer spring compression?

Don

Comment

• Great job on the mods but the main gear doors look like they will be dragging thru / catching on the grass (at least at my field).

Comment

• I ordered this yesterday afternoon, it showed up before noon today. I taxi tested before 4:00 today, ready to maiden. Only 25 hours from placing order to flight ready is a record for me. Thanks MRC for the quick delivery and a great kit. Went together quick with no issues. Looks great and everything works as it should. Hope to maiden tonight or tomorrow morning.

Been reading posts and haven't seen anyone having any issues other than gear coming out. I tugged on mine real good and seem solid so going to go with it. Appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on setup. I went with what the manual calls for. I see some are moving CG rearward a little. Does this seem to be best? I am using Admiral 6S 5000mah 50C batteries. Thanks...

Comment

• Youll see a silver tape just behind the CG mark that covers the servo wires. Most of us are balancing the t33 right in the middle of that tape.
                            I have 2 that are EDF and 1 that is turbine converted. They all fly great at that CG point.

Comment

• There are also 3 or 4 pieces of weight added to the nose that's just dead weight you can remove with careful surgery if you'd like to get more battery in her for even longer flight times.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton;n255040[B
                                ]I ordered this yesterday afternoon, it showed up before noon today.[/B] I taxi tested before 4:00 today, ready to maiden. Only 25 hours from placing order to flight ready is a record for me. Thanks MRC for the quick delivery and a great kit. Went together quick with no issues. Looks great and everything works as it should. Hope to maiden tonight or tomorrow morning.

Been reading posts and haven't seen anyone having any issues other than gear coming out. I tugged on mine real good and seem solid so going to go with it. Appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on setup. I went with what the manual calls for. I see some are moving CG rearward a little. Does this seem to be best? I am using Admiral 6S 5000mah 50C batteries. Thanks...
                                Wow that might be a record! Love the look of this bird.

Comment

• Got mine with this last shipment. I am not one to do too many mods other than power upgrades and occasional paint, but this one just screamed at me for lights for some reason. Landing light, nav lights and a beacon. I have one white led left so might add a strobe on the bottom.

Comment

• Just got this bird set up for maiden, precoated everything with min wax prior to assembly, balanced as per manual my admiral 5000 50C rides-up on the foam ledge in front of the battery tray, is this kosher?

Comment

• Here's mine in a Belgian livery, decals are from Callie.
                                      Re-maiden was done already last week ,all went well
                                      Attached Files
                                      https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Mine balanced with the same battery with the back edge right at the back of the wood battery tray. That put balance slightly behind factory CG mark which is where guys have been recommending to set the CG for better landings...
                                        Waiting on rain to go away in Ohio to test fly.

Think I will take a salvaged set of lights and make landing lights for the nose gear while we wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by Icarus the 2nd View Post
                                          Here's mine in a Belgian livery, decals are from Callie.
                                          Re-maiden was done already last week ,all went well
                                          That looks great Icarus!

Comment

Working...
                                          X