Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's cool Beeg, My Dad was in F-94's too. Different bases but who knows, they may have met. I sure wish someone would model those jets for us. My Dad went on to F-101's so that would be too cool! He got me started in modeling, the Guillow's Hellcat didn't last long but the Cox Pt-19 flew for years ;) Same age huh? Keep them flying!

Comment

• F-86 is a better first jet. The T-33 is good but is new and enjoying it's time in the sun and in my opinion is not as good.

Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
      I know this is the T-33 site, but I’ll ask anyway.

Freewing F-86 verses T-33 - if you had a choice, which would you choose as your first (and only) jet?

Comment

• Finally maidened mine last night. What a great airplane! This one is absolutely great right out of the box. Fast, nimble and easy to land. I have the FW F86 as well. Hard to say which would be better for a first jet. I do find the F86 very easy to fly and land as well. The T33 is definitely faster and has gobs of vertical. I suppose if I had to choose it would be the T33.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogietrim View Post
          Finally maidened mine last night. What a great airplane! This one is absolutely great right out of the box. Fast, nimble and easy to land. I have the FW F86 as well. Hard to say which would be better for a first jet. I do find the F86 very easy to fly and land as well. The T33 is definitely faster and has gobs of vertical. I suppose if I had to choose it would be the T33.
          Both great jets, but I do think the T-33 has the edge. Does everything well, and like you said has plenty of power. Sounds good too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
            That's cool Beeg, My Dad was in F-94's too. Different bases but who knows, they may have met. I sure wish someone would model those jets for us. My Dad went on to F-101's so that would be too cool! He got me started in modeling, the Guillow's Hellcat didn't last long but the Cox Pt-19 flew for years ;) Same age huh? Keep them flying!
            You know it's not that much of a stretch from a T-33 to an F-94B....little nose job and only a slight beefing up of the rear fuselage with afterburner and you're there! Sweep the horizontal and you've got a F-94C.

Comment

• Maidened the T-33 today in gusty conditions and it handled them perfectly, didn’t seem to mind at all. Flys on rails and has great vertical performance on the Admiral 5k 50c packs. Very well behaved on final approaches holding 10% throttle up until flair, then chop power and she just squats. Quit after two fights when the wind began to howl and models were being blown off the tables. Seemed a little slower than my Avanti but had better verdicke performance, not falling off as soon. Buddy mentioned how good it sounds and liked the nostalgic looks of it. I used the factory low rates as my high and dialed them down from there on a three position switch. CG’d it ten mm aft of recommend spot and needed a couple clicks of down trim to fly level. Handled our uncut field no problems, gear did not rip out, guess MRC got the message, mine was a second batch that came with the insignia on the bottom of the wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                Maidened the T-33 today in gusty conditions and it handled them perfectly, didn’t seem to mind at all. Flys on rails and has great vertical performance on the Admiral 5k 50c packs. Very well behaved on final approaches holding 10% throttle up until flair, then chop power and she just squats. Quit after two fights when the wind began to howl and models were being blown off the tables. Seemed a little slower than my Avanti but had better verdicke performance, not falling off as soon. Buddy mentioned how good it sounds and liked the nostalgic looks of it. I used the factory low rates as my high and dialed them down from there on a three position switch. CG’d it ten mm aft of recommend spot and needed a couple clicks of down trim to fly level. Handled our uncut field no problems, gear did not rip out, guess MRC got the message, mine was a second batch that came with the insignia on the bottom of the wings.
                Mine flew well but needed full flaps to lift off out of grass recently cut. I only flew once as it was late but had to make 4 runs before liftoff. Flys well but seems to be low on power in grass. Tried no flaps, takeoff flaps, and on second pass with full flaps it got airborne. Flew great and landed picture perfect with flare.
                Any suggestions for grass field ops???

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

Mine flew well but needed full flaps to lift off out of grass recently cut. I only flew once as it was late but had to make 4 runs before liftoff. Flys well but seems to be low on power in grass. Tried no flaps, takeoff flaps, and on second pass with full flaps it got airborne. Flew great and landed picture perfect with flare.
                  Any suggestions for grass field ops???
                  Tom, I’m guessing the strong headwind on takeoff helped mine to get off the ground faster but moving the CG a little farther aft will help it rotate too. I did not have the chance to try the flaps, don’t like them in gusty conditions anyway. I have mine CG 2.25”, ritght in the middle of the tape near the CG mark on wing bottom. The mains are too far back IMHO and give a lot of resistance to rotation for liftoff. I think the nose sets to low or the mains are too long which also tends to keep it from lifting off. I was at full up elevator to make mine rotate and break loose! Good luck and happy landings.

Comment

• I was able to get a successful maiden of my T-33 Shooting Star today. 6s 6000mah for power. Flies like it’s on rails! Now for some custom graphics, Lockheed, Skunkworks, Kelly Johnson? 🤔
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by WarPug View Post
                      I was able to get a successful maiden of my T-33 Shooting Star today. 6s 6000mah for power. Flies like it’s on rails! Now for some custom graphics, Lockheed, Skunkworks, Kelly Johnson? 🤔
                      Congrats! Be sure and post pics when you complete the customization. Skunkworks sounds interesting.

Comment

• Will do flyinhigh. I have a few flights now on the T-33 and I must say, Freewing really out did themselves. I left the EDF world a few years back for turbines do to greater performance and longer flight times but it seems Freewing has it figured out with the T-33.
                        Couple questions for you guys:
                        *Has anyone replaces the stock springs on the landing gear? They just seem a little too stiff for grass oops but no issues so far.
                        *I read somewhere that there is weight in the nose? Where, and how do I remove it?
                        Thanks,
                        WarPug

Comment

• Originally posted by WarPug View Post
                          Will do flyinhigh. I have a few flights now on the T-33 and I must say, Freewing really out did themselves. I left the EDF world a few years back for turbines do to greater performance and longer flight times but it seems Freewing has it figured out with the T-33.
                          Couple questions for you guys:
                          *Has anyone replaces the stock springs on the landing gear? They just seem a little too stiff for grass oops but no issues so far.
                          *I read somewhere that there is weight in the nose? Where, and how do I remove it?
                          Thanks,
                          WarPug
                          I fly off both GeoTex and grass. The stock struts are fine for both.
                          Do a thread search for "nose weight" and you'll find it.

Comment

• I think the springs are fine, leave them alone.

Nose weight removal instructions:

Freewing 80mm T-33 Shooting Star Both models for banner.jpg Motion RC is excited to announce the new Freewing T-33 Shooting Star in 1/9.5 scale. Honoring the popular T-33 that flew with over 40 countries between 1948 and 2017, the Freewing T-33 faithfully represents this amazing aircraft! Constructed from EPO foam,
                            Pat

Comment

• Well the blue box finally bit me today. I have bypassed many of the functions on other jets, but left it all stock on this one except for nose wheel steering. Flew this morning and the nose gear wouldn’t come down. Made a decent landing on the mains and just scraped the nose up a bit. Nothing major. A little fill and paint. I wiggle the connection at the blue box and it started working again. Cycled it a couple of times and it stopped. Wiggle again and same result. Pulled the wire and ran it thru a servo tester several times and it worked 100%. Plugged it back into the box and it didn’t work unless I wiggled it. So, I am pretty sure there is a bad connection, most likely a bad solder in the board. Will now bypass the board completely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogietrim View Post
                                Well the blue box finally bit me today. I have bypassed many of the functions on other jets, but left it all stock on this one except for nose wheel steering. Flew this morning and the nose gear wouldn’t come down. Made a decent landing on the mains and just scraped the nose up a bit. Nothing major. A little fill and paint. I wiggle the connection at the blue box and it started working again. Cycled it a couple of times and it stopped. Wiggle again and same result. Pulled the wire and ran it thru a servo tester several times and it worked 100%. Plugged it back into the box and it didn’t work unless I wiggled it. So, I am pretty sure there is a bad connection, most likely a bad solder in the board. Will now bypass the board completely.
                                The same thing happened to me on my 80mm EDF L-39. Most other jets I haven't had an issue with the MCB. The T-33 has been good, so far.

Comment

• I'm fond of US Navy aircraft and just completed converting my Freewing T-33 into a Lockheed US Navy TV-2 (haven't seen that anyone has done this yet). Used "Wings Palette" off the internet to pick the flight squadron scheme, federal colors from Model Masters to get the colors right, and Callie Graphics to complete the look.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pilot Stan View Post
                                    I'm fond of US Navy aircraft and just completed converting my Freewing T-33 into a Lockheed US Navy TV-2 (haven't seen that anyone has done this yet). Used "Wings Palette" off the internet to pick the flight squadron scheme, federal colors from Model Masters to get the colors right, and Callie Graphics to complete the look.
                                    That looks absolutely fantastic!

Comment

• Pilot Stan that is sharp, very nice work!

Comment

• I'd buy another to get that scheme, well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pilot Stan View Post
                                          I'm fond of US Navy aircraft and just completed converting my Freewing T-33 into a Lockheed US Navy TV-2 (haven't seen that anyone has done this yet). Used "Wings Palette" off the internet to pick the flight squadron scheme, federal colors from Model Masters to get the colors right, and Callie Graphics to complete the look.
                                          Wow, looks awesome, I didn't purchase this jet because I really didn't like the livery choices but if Freewing would have done one in your livery, I would have pre-ordered one right away, still might get the red/silver version one day.

Comment

Working...
                                          X