Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks LB! That did the trick.[

QUOTE=Elbee;n227543]
    VDN, Yeppers, been there and it SBT. I started using post-its, yes, 3M Post-its for those types of masking. Quick spray and then pull up immediately. Mantra, "It's my hobby...it's my hobby...it's my hobby. Best, LB[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post

Post-it notes are a good trick, except sometimes they don't stick enough or start falling off in the middle of airbrushing. Then one day at Home Depo (while I was waiting for my BEHR paint sample to be mixed, haha) I spotted Post-it EXTREME Notes and bought a package. These are terrific -- they will almost never pull up paint (on a foamie, anything could pull up paint, so be careful when lifting off) and give a very nice edge when airbrushing. I just found out they are finally making them in larger sizes too:
      https://www.amazon.com/Post-Extreme-...8962165&sr=8-7

Thanks for the link. Ordered.

Comment

• My interest in this particular model peaked when I read that it was painted in the livery of the 57 FIS. I flew the T-Bird with the 57 FIS at Keflavik Iceland way back in 1977 - 78. Upon receiving the model I started to wonder just how accurate the paint scheme was. A little INTERNET search found the following: https://www.airfighters.com/photo/12...-Star/57-0592/ The color scheme looks very accurate to me.

Same website shows 70592 on takeoff on 24 Jun 78. Link to that page is here: https://www.airfighters.com/photo/12...-Star/57-0592/. According to my log book I flew 592 twice that day. How improbable is that?

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat20 View Post
          My interest in this particular model peaked when I read that it was painted in the livery of the 57 FIS. I flew the T-Bird with the 57 FIS at Keflavik Iceland way back in 1977 - 78. Upon receiving the model I started to wonder just how accurate the paint scheme was. A little INTERNET search found the following: https://www.airfighters.com/photo/12...-Star/57-0592/ The color scheme looks very accurate to me.

Same website shows 70592 on takeoff on 24 Jun 78. Link to that page is here: https://www.airfighters.com/photo/12...-Star/57-0592/. According to my log book I flew 592 twice that day. How improbable is that?
          Combat20 ! Welcome to the Squawk and my goodness what an awesome coincidence!

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat20 View Post
            My interest in this particular model peaked when I read that it was painted in the livery of the 57 FIS. I flew the T-Bird with the 57 FIS at Keflavik Iceland way back in 1977 - 78. Upon receiving the model I started to wonder just how accurate the paint scheme was. A little INTERNET search found the following: https://www.airfighters.com/photo/12...-Star/57-0592/ The color scheme looks very accurate to me.

Now that is amazing! How incredible is that. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

• I love the scheme...but i havnt found any evidence of the usaf and the us airforce to have that seperated stencil look...i dont knownof any usaf jets of that era thatbused that. And i havnt seen any pics of the 57th birds with that. Also...star and bar size and color is a bit off too. But thats just me being picky

Comment

• It would also apear that the lower surface was also painted light gray...instead of silver

Comment

• Originally posted by bmccool View Post
                  Just unboxed my silver Tbird. It is nearly perfect paint looks good except for the flexed elevator joint. Will make a trip tomorrow to Home Depot for computer paint, silver and red along with flat clear to seal decals. Yes I will maiden it before any paint so I do not void the warranty. Is Motion going to do a mass mailing of the under wing decals or do we need to call and have them sent?
                  I hate to tell you that according to motions warranty info on their website, once you fly it there is no more warranty.
                  of course that doesn’t mean that they won’t help you out, but they don’t have to.
                  Product Warranty Does Not Cover Aircraft Which Have Been Flown – Due to the complex nature of the RC hobby and the literally unlimited number of factors which can lead to flight mishaps, our manufacturers DO NOT offer a warranty on aircraft that have been flown. It is imperative that you perform all necessary pre-flight checks before flying your aircraft for the first time. Click Here for a step by step guide to performing proper pre-flight checks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
                    Heres my speed brake mod video for those interested

https://youtu.be/JG1WW3RVvS4
                    Well done.
                    Mike
                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                      I'd say a majority of the time, my Freewing planes arrive with overall good quality control. This one from a visual standpoint is a bit on the mediocre side with its paint job and some paint chips. When something arrives new, it's nice to see when it actually looks as close to new as possible. I see some have similar issues such as with the paint chips around the tailcone and canopy like I do.

The Good:

The design of the aircraft appears great though, all the doors sit flush, plastic parts appear glued well (I tugged on plastic components that are load bearing), the screws were tight, servo arms were matching on their respective surfaces, the control rod lengths in the manual corresponds to the proper length (only one small error in the instruction manual), the plane assembled incredibly fast and easily, all electronics work properly, the nose wheel was even centered well, ESC to battery lead connectors have sufficient solder, wing connector boards were secure and soldering looks good, the landing gear and retracts appear stout, the fitment of parts are great, the plastic rear of the canopy for the latch to secure to is a nice alternative to the traditional wood piece often used, servo pockets are great and the servos are held tightly without unwanted movement, the split flaps had a thin foam piece to keep the surfaces from sticking to one another during shipment, the power system sounds well balanced, the EDF and ESC were secured well, and the black plastic tailpipe is a nice touch (although the alignment is a bit off).

The Not So Good:

- Paint chips around both sides of the canopy, near one servo pocket, near one intake, on or around the main gear doors, on one wing tank, and around the tailcone in multiple sections
                      - A bit misalignment of the tailcone, although not terrible
                      - Some bubbles in the waterside decals
                      - What appears to be paint runs and residue of potential moisture on the wing and fuselage
                      - Wing servo tape cover was not adhered and likely was at one point, but it lifted and took some paint with it.
                      - An upside down decal, which can be easily seen near the canopy

Although these are not major items, I have experienced much better paint quality out of the box from many Freewing planes. I'll repaint the areas in need, but it would be nice to see Freewing catch these things before it ships. I have posted pictures below of the more noticeable items to get an idea of what I am talking about.

With that said, does anyone have the paint codes (gray, orange, and green) from Home Depot for the Camo. T-33? I need to do some touch up airbrushing .
                      Posting pics for MRC to see is the way to go, the idea of a QC sticker I think is great, let's the customer as well as MRC know that someone eyeballed the plane before shipping.

Comment

• My silver paint has a bunch of human hair in it..which i havnt seen much of before. Kinda gross lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Scaleman3 View Post

Posting pics for MRC to see is the way to go, the idea of a QC sticker I think is great, let's the customer as well as MRC know that someone eyeballed the plane before shipping.
                          Agreed, and hopefully that gets remedied by Freewing and Motion RC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
                            My silver paint has a bunch of human hair in it..which i havnt seen much of before. Kinda gross lol
                            Yizah, now that isn't fun to see upon inspection. Ha-ha

Comment

• Again with a QC sticker they would know who to lock in the bathroom!

Comment

• Just got mine
                                Mike
                                Attached Files

Comment

Again with a QC sticker they would know who to lock in the bathroom!
                                  Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                    Just got mine
                                    Mike
                                    Please let us know Mike how yours looks, Paint, Fit, Finish, etc.

Comment

Please let us know Mike how yours looks, Paint, Fit, Finish, etc.
                                      Quick inspection at work and it looks great.I’ll really go over it tomorrow
                                      Mike

Comment

• I did some flying with the RunCam2 looking aft and really like how it came out. In this flight I was mainly shooting skywards to try and show off the vertical climb performance. She will climb away from line of sight view pretty quick!

Comment

• The belly cam view using the RunCam2 is another go-to view of the action. This flight was flown with no wing tanks. I flew in the pattern to get some touch-and-goes from this camera view. Man that gear looks nice going up and down! Without the wing tip tanks it flies just as stable as with them on. The roll rate increases a lot. Top speed didn't seem to increase by much if any. The only negative is without them she is harder to see especially at dusk. I highly encourage all T-33 pilots to yank the tanks at least once to see what you think.

Comment

Working...
                                          X