Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Evan: good head work there using the piano wire! What diameter piano wire do you use, and do you glue them into your wingtip?

I think I’ll pursue your great idea of the piano wire skids and also try to find some suitable material to stick onto the impact points where the tip tank contacts the runway when the plane tips, usually on landings.

I just replaced my tip tanks with new ones that I’d like to protect. I can use the old ones as a testbed to find the best solution for my TBird.

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      I did a quick search and this came up. I'm sure other places have it too..

Team Associated Chassis Protective Sheet [ASC9787] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies
      Unfortunately discontinued. Need to poke around I'm sure someone else makes it. So far all I've found is colored or printed.

Mike
      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• I think I just used an extra push rod... Doesn't need to be too thick. Poked it in a 1/4" on those but the tips have plastic over them. On foam maybe 1/2'...

Originally posted by davegee View Post
        Hi Evan: good head work there using the piano wire! What diameter piano wire do you use, and do you glue them into your wingtip?

I think I’ll pursue your great idea of the piano wire skids and also try to find some suitable material to stick onto the impact points where the tip tank contacts the runway when the plane tips, usually on landings.

I just replaced my tip tanks with new ones that I’d like to protect. I can use the old ones as a testbed to find the best solution for my TBird.

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• At last one maiden flight on the freewing T-33 in this windy season! At least Up here North, in south-east part of Norway! More maiden waiting ....

Comment

• Evan D Those skids are a great idea, I'll have to try that specific shape. Normally mine just trail off, but your triangle shape looks much more "finished".

Those will come in handy..

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha, keeps me from printing so many missile fins!

Comment

• I don’t have many flights on this T-33 yet, but it’s a pleasant surprise every time a take it out. Easy to fly, and it really rips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	04315D7F-452A-48A3-9647-5A4C6801D594.jpeg
Views:	712
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	317172

Comment

• I see a theme

Comment

• EA-6B Geek Nice flight line!

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                      Does anyone have an idea or technique they use to prevent scuffing or damage to the bottoms of the tip tanks without pulling the paint off, like tape often does?

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers

davegee

The $1 store has these polypropylene mats which are sold as counter-top savers, usually 3 -6 in a pkg. they a quite thin and flexible when cut into strips, and they have different colors! I use contact cement and have put them on several different planes including 3 of my gliders in place of skids and even on the Ryan STA on the wingtips.

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

The $1 store has these polypropylene mats which are sold as counter-top savers, usually 3 -6 in a pkg. they a quite thin and flexible when cut into strips, and they have different colors! I use contact cement and have put them on several different planes including 3 of my gliders in place of skids and even on the Ryan STA on the wingtips.
                        Nice Idea! Any chance you could post a pic of one installed on your plane to give me a better idea exactly how you do yours?? Thanks for your input.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	65D6D83F-A230-4ED6-9718-DF0C5CEF208F.jpeg
Views:	628
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	317809Click image for larger version

Name:	30CDD71C-4307-4784-A1F2-DCABD9DA6076.jpeg
Views:	573
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	317810Click image for larger version

Name:	F2D4DE61-393B-43B6-AED2-CB651CD480CE.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	317811
                          Originally posted by davegee View Post

Nice Idea! Any chance you could post a pic of one installed on your plane to give me a better idea exactly how you do yours?? Thanks for your input.

Cheers

davegee
                          use the Weldwood or similar solvent based (not water based) Contact Cement. Apply to both surfaces and let dry fully (30 minute) then just carefully position and stick it down - there is no repositioning, so get it in the right place. A bunch of toothpicks can be a nice bridge. Just lay them across the dry cement align your piece and start pulling them out one at a time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	78F9BAC3-FB6F-4C2D-A9B2-87504E5B3E7C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	317806Click image for larger version  Name:	4DC63C29-31F5-450F-8F30-500EC6DFAB6B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	317807Click image for larger version  Name:	04D74C09-1351-4C87-BAB4-C57E7FAD6F29.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	317808

Comment

• Is contact cement safe for foam?

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                              Is contact cement safe for foam?
                              Yes, for EPO. T-33 is EPO

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	65D6D83F-A230-4ED6-9718-DF0C5CEF208F.jpeg
Views:	628
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	317809Click image for larger version

Name:	30CDD71C-4307-4784-A1F2-DCABD9DA6076.jpeg
Views:	573
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	317810Click image for larger version

Name:	F2D4DE61-393B-43B6-AED2-CB651CD480CE.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	317811

use the Weldwood or similar solvent based (not water based) Contact Cement. Apply to both surfaces and let dry fully (30 minute) then just carefully position and stick it down - there is no repositioning, so get it in the right place. A bunch of toothpicks can be a nice bridge. Just lay them across the dry cement align your piece and start pulling them out one at a time.

Click image for larger version Name:	78F9BAC3-FB6F-4C2D-A9B2-87504E5B3E7C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	317806Click image for larger version Name:	4DC63C29-31F5-450F-8F30-500EC6DFAB6B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	317807Click image for larger version Name:	04D74C09-1351-4C87-BAB4-C57E7FAD6F29.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	317808
                                Thanks very much, F22trainer! That looks like tough material that would keep scuffs limited to the protective layer itself and not penetrate to the model structure. I can definitely see some applications for these protective pads on some of my airplanes.

Thanks!

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks very much, F22trainer! That looks like tough material that would keep scuffs limited to the protective layer itself and not penetrate to the model structure. I can definitely see some applications for these protective pads on some of my airplanes.

Thanks!

Davegee
                                  They don’t do compound curves very well, but a little creative clipping does wonders and they do indeed work well. Lacquer thinner will remove excess or allow it to be removed and replaced.

Comment

They don’t do compound curves very well, but a little creative clipping does wonders and they do indeed work well. Lacquer thinner will remove excess or allow it to be removed and replaced.
                                    Sounds like a winner!

Thanks!

Davegee

Comment

• One question on my new T-33:

I just assembled my Freewing T-33. What a beautiful model!

I am wondering if I need to put on a gyro. Considering my skill level, I can fly Freewing Bae Hawk with a gyro well, and the Eflite Viper 70mm. My field has some crosswind, usually slight, but may becomes a bit strong in the noon.

Will a gyro help me? Thanks a lot for your input.

Comment

• Originally posted by long-love-rc View Post
                                        One question on my new T-33:

I just assembled my Freewing T-33. What a beautiful model!

I am wondering if I need to put on a gyro. Considering my skill level, I can fly Freewing Bae Hawk with a gyro well, and the Eflite Viper 70mm. My field has some crosswind, usually slight, but may becomes a bit strong in the noon.

Will a gyro help me? Thanks a lot for your input.
                                        Hello

A gyro can always be of help (assistance) to keep yours plane steady.
                                        I fly from grass, so my CG is a bit more back than manual.
                                        In this case i build in a gyro to keep the plane flying straight, otherwise it would waggle a little.
                                        If you use a gyro, put in on a switch so you can turn it on/off.

grts Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by timmybeetle View Post

Hello

A gyro can always be of help (assistance) to keep yours plane steady.
                                          I fly from grass, so my CG is a bit more back than manual.
                                          In this case i build in a gyro to keep the plane flying straight, otherwise it would waggle a little.
                                          If you use a gyro, put in on a switch so you can turn it on/off.

grts Hans
                                          Cool! Just slapped on my gyro! fingers crossed, wish I have a nice maiden!

Comment

Working...
                                          X