Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF Trainer advice

Hello guys

After many years of experience with electric and glow props, I decided to move my first steps into the ducted fan world.
    A bunch of years ago I used to have a small Alfamodel F86, but I was a beginner and the experience was not so good.

So I'm looking for an affordable PNP trainer jet, with which I can learn the basics in order to move to a bigger fighter in the future.

At the moment my interests fell on the FW Rebel V2, the FW Yak 130 or the FMS (QT-Models) T45.

What do you think? Which one of these is the most recommended to learn in terms of forgiveness/performance ratio?
    Or maybe another model?

I would like to stick on a 70mm size fan because of the budget

steps90 Welcome to Hobby Squawk! We hope you find a home here among like-minded RC crazies.

Of your three choices, based on your budget-friendly preference, the Rebel V2 is the most affordable to own and operate. Importantly, it lands just as nicely without flaps as it does with. This is key, because you'll want to familiarize yourself with landing approaches in both conditions. Retracts are simple but effective, the 4s battery is cheap, a wide wing area provides excellent wing loading, and suffice to say the Rebel has almost more years on the market than both of the other birds on your list, combined.

The FMS T-45 looks great but I've only flown it a handful of times, which is not enough for me to be able to recommend for or against it. I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experience on this bird.

The Freewing Yak-130 is a fun flyer, and its high wing allows mild manners at slow speed, but I would not recommend it as an absolute first EDF. Its 6s 4000mAh battery can be used if/when you move up to 80mm, but per your overarching preference for low operating cost, a 4s-powered 70mm jet sounds more in line. Side note: I flew the very first Freewing 70mm Yak-130 on 4s, and I thought it flew just fine. Light and cheap. But still, the Rebel 2's wider landing gear stance makes it better suited to new pilots.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I agree with Alpha on the Rebel steps90 as it a good beginner platform for sure. Learn the ropes with it and when your ready to move on sell it and check out the Freewing Avanti, L-39 or new T-33. All great second jets with wide flight envelopes you can grow with.

Welcome to the Squawk!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
        steps90 Welcome to Hobby Squawk! We hope you find a home here among like-minded RC crazies.

Of your three choices, based on your budget-friendly preference, the Rebel V2 is the most affordable to own and operate. Importantly, it lands just as nicely without flaps as it does with. This is key, because you'll want to familiarize yourself with landing approaches in both conditions. Retracts are simple but effective, the 4s battery is cheap, a wide wing area provides excellent wing loading, and suffice to say the Rebel has almost more years on the market than both of the other birds on your list, combined.

The FMS T-45 looks great but I've only flown it a handful of times, which is not enough for me to be able to recommend for or against it. I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experience on this bird.

The Freewing Yak-130 is a fun flyer, and its high wing allows mild manners at slow speed, but I would not recommend it as an absolute first EDF. Its 6s 4000mAh battery can be used if/when you move up to 80mm, but per your overarching preference for low operating cost, a 4s-powered 70mm jet sounds more in line. Side note: I flew the very first Freewing 70mm Yak-130 on 4s, and I thought it flew just fine. Light and cheap. But still, the Rebel 2's wider landing gear stance makes it better suited to new pilots.
        Thank you very much for welcoming me to the fantastic hobbysquawk family! I'm sure I'm crazy enough about RC airplanes to be part of it.

Thanks for you useful advices.
        I confirm you that the budget is not my first concern for the choosing, since I managed to find those three planes at around the same price, including the batteries.
        Right now as you recommend my interests are getting towards the Rebel. But I also like very much the scale appearance and the gear struts of the T45, I was just wondering if it is stable enough to be suitable as a first edf.
        I've also read that the t45 nose gear is pretty weak, do you confirm it?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
          I agree with Alpha on the Rebel steps90 as it a good beginner platform for sure. Learn the ropes with it and when your ready to move on sell it and check out the Freewing Avanti, L-39 or new T-33. All great second jets with wide flight envelopes you can grow with.

Welcome to the Squawk!
          Thank you James!
          That is exactly my plan, to learn the basics and then get to a good scale military jet. I love the new FW T33.

Comment

Working...
          X