X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PeterGRC View Post

Wow, I had to take some time away from the build and thread, so a lot has been posted. Thanks to all.

Jinkrat, the Down and Locked upgrade, did that include electric brakes as well? For my field, I believe I really need them to ensure stopping with the approach we have. Agree on wanting the strength.
    No brakes included, he does have his break system in production now I believe, he didn't at the time of my upgrade

Comment

• Originally posted by PeterGRC View Post

Have you considered putty and paint so you can later take it apart if necessary, or another less permanent approach? Just thinking on that and wondering, so would like to hear your thoughts.
      The bottom of the nacelle pod is solid, I'm cutting enough of that material away for easier access, I want the permanent mount for strength

Comment

• Just finished the build

Comment

• Looks great, when do you plan on doing the maiden?

Comment

• Nice! Look forward to maiden video/report! Good luck!
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Looks fantastic. That lighted panel is cool! Hope the maiden is flawless.

Comment

• Is it just me, or does anyone else on this forum have a severe case of 'shop jealousy' from those photos? Ha ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by gravity tester View Post
                  Is it just me, or does anyone else on this forum have a severe case of 'shop jealousy' from those photos? Ha ha.
                  Nope it is not just you...……..I was gonna make a comment yesterday of what a nice workbench in pic 4 but then somehow got side tracked and didn't
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Definitely Shop Envy. My shop is basically a tiny workbench shoved in the corner of my garage. Sigh.
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Wow! That shop really is phenomenal.

Comment

• It inspires me to go spend 200k on my shop...oh wait, I don't have 200k. It is beautiful.
                        Best of luck with the A-10.
                        Tom

Comment

• Shop envy? I lost my humble little workshop in the split when we sold the house. This is the first giant scale plane I've built on a kitchen table. Had it not been an arf for the most part, I'd have never attempted it, still no word on the maiden? wish you the best of luck

Jink

Comment

• Listen guys , I have an idea. Everybody that's flown this bird says it's really hard to rotate on takeoff because the mains are so far behind the CG. I'm thinking of getting Mitch at Down and locked to make me a longer nose strut, there's room, just haven't measured how much I can get away with yet. And slightly shortening the mains so it's not terribly noticable that they are a little further back in the pods than normal. It would give it a better angle of attack on takeoff and should help with the rotation problem. Any thoughts

Jink

Comment

• Ground stance (including nose AoA) is a concert with thrust line and other factors, but suffice to say I think increasing the nose AoA is more likely to help than hurt this model's rotation characteristics.
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Ground stance (including nose AoA) is a concert with thrust line and other factors, but suffice to say I think increasing the nose AoA is more likely to help than hurt this model's rotation characteristics.

thanks alpha, I think it will help alot, have you ever seen the CARF A-4 Skyhawk take off. It actually has an actuator on the nose wheel that raises the angle of attack considerably. The model and the real aircraft have a pretty extreme nose down attitude sitting on it's gear, the real bird takes a loooong take off roll to rotate. The model was the same if not worse that is why Mitch at D&L came up with the whole nose wheel actuator deal, and if you look at all the A-10 foamies, they all have a slightly positive angle of attack sitting on their gear. The roban A 10 has a slightly nose down AOA which I believe is scale, but I'm trying to build a model that flies and handles as good as it's going to look. And those mains are waaay behind the CG. All opinions from anyone is appreciated

Adding a little edit here, I believe the A-4 was primarily used launched off Aircraft Carriers. It's not like anyone has a mini 100 ft aircraft carrier to launch their 1/4 scale A-4 Skyhawk off of to start with, I'm pretty sure the whole nose actuator thing is to maintain scale look and taxi, but if you google the vid of the CARF model taking off you can see how much they raise the nose after getting lined up for take off. And if you remember back to the old Byron A-4 the gear was no where near scale. It had a really high AOA. I know that there are other factors involved in the rotation performance but changing the AOA on this A-10 is the only way I can come up with to try to improve takeoff performance. If there's something anyone else can suggest I'm all ears

Comment

• I was totally wrong about the A-4's AOA sitting on it's gear, I don't why that big carf model has an actuator on the gear to raise the nose, it's probably a feature on the full size as well because I did see a couple picks of A-4's sitting slightly nose down.

Comment

• wow a month gone by and no flight report yet...

Comment

• No issues rotating the Roban A-10 with the stock strut.

Yes, the full scale A-4 has a hydraulic actuator in the nose strut to increase the AOA

Comment

• Originally posted by jinkrat4791 View Post

My charger does for the most part. The question that I'm asking is does it need to be stored a certain voltage and if so what is that voltage. Thanks
                                        Life batteries don't self discharge and dont suffer when stored fully charged, you can charge them now and they will be ready to go at Christmas and it won't hurt the cells. It's one of the best features of A123/LiFe batteries

Comment

• I really want to pull the trigger on this plane, but for a twin turbine conversion. The lack of talking about this model is really keeping me away. I wish there was more pilots talking and sharing about this plane.

Comment

Working...
                                          X