Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added rivet detail today...Turned out pretty good. Nothing left to do but nut up and maiden the damn thing, lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rivets1.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	261893
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
      Excited. I found out that a local RC club has recently acquired usage of a full scale airfield. It has unlimited unobstructed airspace left or right on the runway (low approaches either way). No major obstructions...Even the trees north of the field are far enough away to not propose any real issues in normal flight. The grass is a bit longer than I was hoping but my contact told me today that the club plans on mowing the grass down 100 feet to the left of the stations and 100 feet to the right of the stations with a commitment to maintain the grass. This makes me super stoked! It may just be what I have been waiting for all along. Open airspace with low approaches for this jet. While it's not perfectly ideal (only a putting green or smooth pavement would be), it may be the best option I have in my region to fly without issue. They have a grass fixing party on the 28th I will likely join. Super excited!

Name:	ramsfieldpano1.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	259926
      The field looks outstanding, I'm sure it's going to be better than dive bombing all those pesky school kids when they finally return. Quick question, do you think you'll be able to fly the HSD F-16 there? I noticed on their website that this jet was "not recommended for grass", which kind of bummed me out since I now fly almost exclusively at a grass field (and really love it). Can't wait to find out if you can get it off of grass (on second thought, maybe I don't want to know cause if it does, then it's just another "gotta get me one").
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Well that's the hitch...The grass when I was there was too long for the HSD F-16. However I was told by one of the club members that they plan on mowing the grass short 100ft on both sides of the pilot stations so I will have to go investigate when they are up and running. I REALLY hope it's short enough because I have never flown this jet in such an open space with low approaches. I'll report back as soon as I find out my man!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Can anybody help. This experience I am having with HSD jets has been painful. Purchased the last grey PNP f16. Arrived with nose compressed. Worst part trying to get a hold of someone on the phone forget about it. Unfortunate part of all this I will be heading back to work soon for 4 months overseas. I was on a pretty tight deadline to try to get this thing in the air. Decided I would just keep it although it's been compressed in the front so started programming. This is where I run into more issues had the right airleron servo burnout. Had it almost dialed in through the MFC then ran into issues which caused me to factory reset it. After speaking with Andy at HSD he seemed to be a little upset with me that I factory reset it and he now is having someone have to hand write out the whole manual for me and is telling me it could take a couple days. 20 years in the hobby and its pains me at this level at this price the customer service I have received. Begging for someone to call me.

Comment

• All the pictures I see online of this jet are beautiful the one I was shipped never was. Can anyone help. I also purchase motions F16 super scale and its immaculate.

Comment

• That's terrible man I'm sorry to say but it appears you got one of the lemons out of the batch. What version is yours? This is my third one and I've never had any problems with mine. I would personally try to return it if at all possible. That nose compression is severe. Sure in a perfect world you could repair it and replace the servo but for what you are paying you should expect better. See if this link below helps at all...Good luck!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yeah you're right at first I was ready to take the hit but this is just too much I have asked if they can exchange for snow camo we'll see what happens.

V/R

Comment

• Andy and co. seem to go out of their way in the RCG thread and support in general so I would be surprised if you got blowback. The quality isn't there on that particular one so they should replace it for you.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Well I finally go around to maidening my early version F16. It’s been in a box for quite awhile. I replaced the stock motor and fan with a JF110 HET 1080kv on 8S. I had heard it worked pretty well and wanted to try a lighter set up. Like I said it is an early version with the HSD gyro. I put the gyro on a knob so I can control the gain and have it completely off. I took off with it off which was verified by another set of eyes. I range checked it, verified proper control direction, CG was by the book, have 3 flight modes with varying rates and all seemed well before take off. That changed the moment it lifted off. Take off run was actually fairly short considering the size of the jet which confirmed decent thrust on this set up. As soon as I took off the problems started. It started porpoising and initially would not turn at all. Finally started turning for me, but slow to respond then all of sudden it would roll fast. I would get it leveled out then it would roll on its own. I had been flying for over a minute when the video starts. The jet had rolled completely inverted all on it’s own and I was barely able to pull out of the split S. The landing was rough, but I will take it. Despite the sudden deceleration trauma, there was absolutely no damage. It just runs off the end there into some grass. We picked it up and I taxied it back and the controls seem to function fine. My first thought is that it has something to do with the gyro which I will bypass for the next flight. I will also be changing receivers. Thinking of bypassing the power board with the control surfaces as well. I welcome any thoughts or ideas!! That was a long 3 minutes! LOL! Enjoy!

Comment

• Bogietrim first off let me say I am glad she made it down in one piece! I read your post and watched the video. I have to tell you, it brought back memories of some of my struggles with this model (the earlier versions at least. I am going to maiden my V3 tomorrow with the updated S-EDF power plant). If you are familiar with the RCG HSD F-16 discussion thread you might have read some of my many struggles with her over the years. I have flown numerous RC aircraft of various size and scope through the years and (outside of the LX SR-71 which is a story for another thread) this is the only one that really made me doubt my skill as a pilot of 25 years. I too have struggled with porpoising, super squirrelly behavior, rapid/sensitive roll and pitch and landings that were so bad at times I wondered what in the hell I was doing.

I have had two of these so far. I believe a V1 and a V2. Both exhibited moments of pure joy, dialed in, perfect greased landings, and yet at other times there was severe porpoising, hyper-sensitive controls in all axis' and bounced landings or "soft crashes". I have scratched my head and yelled more than my share of colorful language with this bird. Most often whenever I fly a new model, once I am past the break in period, I dial it in, the flights are more predictable and satisfying with each successive flight. With this girl I could have a few great flights and then BAM, it's like it's a brand new jet I have never flown before. Ghosts in the machine? lol

Yet I keep coming back because despite it all I have seen enough video and testimony from others that makes me think with the proper CG/throws/expo/power plant it really is a nice solid model.

One thing I learned is that the manual settings for throws is way off. At least for me. My aileron throw is like 30% of recommended. That alone really helped smooth her out. I also found that this model has a HUGE +/- range for CG. I have flown it at 160-165mm and it's been rock solid but the landings can be sketchy without proper power management and the same can be said for when I tried 175+mm. This jet remains an enigma to me. Part of it no doubt is it's AUW which I believe is near 17 pounds AND the fact that I am negotiating tall trees, light poles, buildings, neighborhoods and a highway parallel to the parking lot. Hardly ideal and adds a ton of stress.

I think the best CG is somewhere in the middle...170-ish. Again, it's a big heavy bird with a high wing load and the CG range is wider than most models and it boils down to preference. I would highly recommend examining what kind of expo and throw settings you have on your elevator and ailerons specifically. There's a whole school of thought on both which I can't go into here and it really again boils down to preference after trying different settings. I would also absolutely shut off the stock gyro and throttle/elevator mix if it's defaulted to on. I think both can present problematic issues that may or may not contribute to what you experienced.

Since I plan on maidening my new V3 tomorrow I am not sure if your video offers much confidence for me or not, lol! Obviously we have different versions, power plants and settings. I can only hope that I can offer up a positive video tomorrow and hope your successive flights are the same! Good luck and keep at it, I really do believe she is worth it.
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yes, it was the strangest flight I’ve ever had. I would try to turn and have the stick full deflection and it would barely respond. Then the next roll it would spin like a top with the slightest input. I had three different rates programmed and it seem to respond similarly no matter which I was using. When I ‘landed’ (more like arrived) we double checked and the gyro was off. I also double checked the cg when I go it home and it came in right about 165. The controls seemed to respond normally on the ground. I am definitely bypassing the gyro all together and will bypass the board for the flight controls as well. I think there is a lot of electronic noise back there. Most of that thrill ride was at 1/2 throttle and came down with about 45% left. The good news is that no repairs are needed and I get at least one more shot.

Comment

• Question...Does your receiver have a satellite and if so, where is it placed? When I first set mine up I had the rx in the controller bay and the satellite was tucked into the battery compartment. I was having bizarre issues during taxi tests like the rudder/nose gear would stop working and the controls were "twitchy". I finally learned that it was my satellite placement. Apparently since it was next to one of my 6S batteries it was causing signal and behavior issues.

Just something else to check if that's the case.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                            Question...Does your receiver have a satellite and if so, where is it placed? When I first set mine up I had the rx in the controller bay and the satellite was tucked into the battery compartment. I was having bizarre issues during taxi tests like the rudder/nose gear would stop working and the controls were "twitchy". I finally learned that it was my satellite placement. Apparently since it was next to one of my 6S batteries it was causing signal and behavior issues.

Just something else to check if that's the case.
                            I have my satellite running pretty far forward in the nose. It has a longer extension so it is probably a good 6 inches in front of the batteries. Who know, that could be it or at least contributing. I am pulling that receiver set up and going with a different one with 2 satellites. I will bypass the gyro (and remove it), plug the flight controls directly into the RX and see what happens. It will be a week or so as I just started at trip. I did notice one thing when I got it home. I accidentally plugged the 2S lipo in with the TX off. It powered up and was relatively quiet. As soon as I turned the TX and the RX connected it started with the buzzing and servo noises. Turned the radio off and it went quiet again. So, I am leaning toward an incompatible RX set up at this point. I will report back when I get home. Hopefully have a better video to share as well!

Comment

• Good luck!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Maidened. Well, the good news is she is in one piece, lol!

Took off and she wasn't rotating where I was hoping so I had to give max elevator...When she lifted off she was porpoising severely and wanting to roll to the left. I thought for a second I might lose her. You can see how close I get to a light pole as I am trying to establish stability and altitude. I had to give max up elevator trim and I never did retract the gear. The whole flight felt wonky. Like tail heavy but then why would I need max up elevator trim? Very confusing. I decided to come in a bit early and I was too high on my approach and bailed on a go-around as I was quickly running out of real estate so I plopped her rather unceremoniously on the pavement. Gear survived without any issue.

I double checked CG and it is around 170mm. The roll to the left could be explained by my RunCam2 I had mounted on the wing. Even though I am using the settings from my last HSD F-16 I clearly need to tweak them still.

The new S-EDF power system seemed like a nice upgrade overall but I was too busy just trying to keep her in the air to really test it out. Hopefully my second flight I can fine tune the trim and retract the gear and really feel her out. No other model has challenged my ego like this one, lol. All-in-all she came home in one piece so I call that I success!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros I would recommend to move CG about 10mm behind the book CG. I know that sounds weird but that is where I ended up after a month of testing. My 5000 packs are basically as far back as they will go, they are touching the foam edge that is in there on both sides of the fuselage. I would then trim the elevator for level flight at 1/2 throttle. With this setup she rotates well and lands high-alpha with ease. I do have a mix setup when the landing gear deploys to give it about 5% down elevator. That compensates for the CG moving even further back as the mains are pretty heavy. That is how I have been now flying for a couple months with no issues.

Comment

• Great info PaulZ , thank you! So where is your CG at specifically? Also, would you mind taking a shot of your battery placement? I am running two Admiral 6000s and they are near the LE of the black foam. I couldn't move them much further aft if I wanted to. Also, are you running on Spektrum? If so I would love your SPM file. I am always searching for that "Sweet Spot" with this girl.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Here’s where my battery placement was for the maiden.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A1B7BE7-9D25-4A74-8F03-B71E8222576F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	266296

This is what I ended up with for elev trim...
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	elev1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	266301

Proof she survived...

Name:	postmaiden.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	266302
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros good job staying with her to get her back. Your landing was much better than mine! LOL! Hoping to get mine back out this weekend for another go.

Comment

• Thanks Bogietrim , it was a classic Pucker Flight the whole way...

It felt tail heavy to me in the air but nose heavy on takeoff hence having to max out the back pressure to rotate before she ran out of room. Just squirrelly. I was looking at Pilot Ryan's HSD F-16 Shakedown video and he has his RT 5500's at the very front edge of the black foam. Even though I am using Admiral 6000's, I think the batteries are similar in size and weight so I may push the batteries forward to that same black foam edge. I can always increase the takeoff space if I need to. The parking lot is huge.

Well better luck to us both!!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X