Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get back on that horse and ride brother! I'm on #3.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
      Get back on that horse and ride brother! I'm on #3.
      I am back, ordering soon! By the way, what CG did you settle at? Did you setup flaperons or no flaps at all? I did not have any on the last model.

Comment

• This thread gas more Battery YADA, YADA, YADA, then the 105mm HSD F-16 Info Later LOL!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
          I am back, ordering soon! By the way, what CG did you settle at? Did you setup flaperons or no flaps at all? I did not have any on the last model.
          I'm at 175mm and with the gyro it feels great. I don't have any flaperons on this latest one but I am thinking about it...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Since the first flight I’m been using tailerons and flaps, CG at 175 mm gear down. I did have to remove some foam to push batteries back. Also only using 2- 2s 1000 mah for rx.

Comment

• Hi guys, just like Aros I’ve had a few of these hsd F16s and just cannot resist having a look at another.

ive been on the hsd website and was looking at the turbine version, that they are stating has a 20% bigger wing area. For tho use that know is this both the turbine and edf versions or has just the turbine been upgraded??
              tempted to buy a turbine version if it’s just that as there’s quite a few other upgrades to that over the edf variant

Comment

• Originally posted by krakenreleaser View Post
                Looks great, aros. I love your attention to detail. She looks locked in.

I finally got out and "re-maidened" my "Dark Falcon" V3 F-16 after the re-paint. I am loving the performance of the new S-EDF on 2x 6000 HRB packs. 4 min flights.

Thanks to tailskid for the video and Glen Huck Wickell for the still shots.

Flight video:

Paint video:

Awesome re paint👍🏻

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
                  Hi guys, just like Aros I’ve had a few of these hsd F16s and just cannot resist having a look at another.

ive been on the hsd website and was looking at the turbine version, that they are stating has a 20% bigger wing area. For tho use that know is this both the turbine and edf versions or has just the turbine been upgraded??
                  tempted to buy a turbine version if it’s just that as there’s quite a few other upgrades to that over the edf variant
                  The F-16 is my favorite jet fighter and I love my FW 90mm F-16 but I keep looking at the HSD website and would die to get this F-16 if it weren't for the big red warning words on the product page that says: "NOT TO BE USED FROM GRASS SURFACES". Unfortunately I pretty much fly off of grass exclusively now and this warning always depresses me. I put the 12 blade 1835 KV inrunner in my 90 mm F-16 and changed the nose wheel to a 2" Hangar 9 from the original 1 3/4" wheel and it gets off of our grass in less than 100 feet. I now fly it exclusively on a heavy 8000 mah battery that gives me 5 minutes of flight time and even with that weight, the 12 blade EDF has more than enough horse power to get if off of the grass quickly and provides plenty of thrust for any vertical I care to undertake as there is virtually no difference in flight characteristics from a 6000 mah battery to the 8000 mah battery, so why not take advantage of the increased flight time. With that said, I still wonder if the HSD 105mm EDF could be flown on grass. Anyone out there given it a try? I don't want to spend $1,000 bucks just to find out their warning is on the money!
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

The F-16 is my favorite jet fighter and I love my FW 90mm F-16 but I keep looking at the HSD website and would die to get this F-16 if it weren't for the big red warning words on the product page that says: "NOT TO BE USED FROM GRASS SURFACES". Unfortunately I pretty much fly off of grass exclusively now and this warning always depresses me. I put the 12 blade 1835 KV inrunner in my 90 mm F-16 and changed the nose wheel to a 2" Hangar 9 from the original 1 3/4" wheel and it gets off of our grass in less than 100 feet. I now fly it exclusively on a heavy 8000 mah battery that gives me 5 minutes of flight time and even with that weight, the 12 blade EDF has more than enough horse power to get if off of the grass quickly and provides plenty of thrust for any vertical I care to undertake as there is virtually no difference in flight characteristics from a 6000 mah battery to the 8000 mah battery, so why not take advantage of the increased flight time. With that said, I still wonder if the HSD 105mm EDF could be flown on grass. Anyone out there given it a try? I don't want to spend $1,000 bucks just to find out their warning is on the money!
                    Hugh, I had one (rip) and tried to fly it off our grass field that was not like a golf fairway but close and it ripped up the front gear both times ergo the red letter warnings. Also this plane flys scale so do not expect a screamer but a nice flyer. Looking at the new 105mm L39. Like the plane, not the colors.... so repaint for me is required....

Comment

• Hugh I've heard some folks have no issues flying off grass but like wolpertinger said above, clearly it can be an issue. I've only ever flown mine off pavement. The new S-EDF power system is definitely an upgrade from their old stock unit but it's still not going to win any races. Flies nice but not a speed demon. A lot of folks have turned to Jetfan 110 to power this bird. RCG has a good build thread on this model with tons of data if you ever want to peruse...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks wolpertinger and Aros, appreciate your advice. Maybe I'll just go to Chief Aircraft or BVM and get me a 1/5th scale Turbine viper and pull my kids out of college-forget that diploma stuff, they need to just get a job and stop crimping my RC fun. Seriously, I've taken your advice to heart and will just stick with the FW F-16 until HSD decides to recognize the other 40%-50% of the market that's into grass. Far Out Man!
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Don't get a BVM 1/5 because if you do I am going to have to come steal it from you and blame Elbee!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• In short, if you choose to fly this F-16 off of grass and tear the nose gear out, don't call HSD for a warranty claim. A "well manicured grass field" is still very subjective.

I had over 120 flights from my grass field on my first HSD F-16 with no problem. In comparison, I was replacing the retract rotating pin on my FW F-16 about every 60 flights from the same grass field.

Thus, if you choose to fly the HSD F-16 from grass and you tear the nose gear out, don't call HSD; just fix it; then go fly it again.

Sean

P.S. My HSD F-16 with the Jetfan upgrade was radared straight and level at 118mph. Not necessarily fast, but great thrust for short takeoffs and nice verticals.
                            Last edited by EDFjetpilot; Feb 1, 2021, 03:12 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I flew mine from grass. Not great grass either. This was the version 1
                              search HSD F-16 grass field ops on YouTube.

Comment

• Personally I think it would be fine, the gear is really stout. I've put it to the test many times, trust me. HSD is just covering themselves so they don't have to deal with replacement issues when they have no way to control or govern the actual conditions some people would fly it on. Makes sense.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks Porkster and Aros, something to definitely consider, it makes perfect sense. Looked at the grass ops video, very nice and great landing!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
                                    Awesome re paint👍🏻
                                    Thank you! It was a fun project.

Comment

Lcacing some interesting points there. HSD support did walk me through some settings to check which was to verify that the servos, lights and gear were all 7.4V (they were). However, the gear delay which they said should be set to zero was set to 3 seconds. So I changed that. Finally, gear current was at 1000 mAh for 1 but 3 was set at zero! So I switched that to 1000 mAh as well since they said both 1 and 3 should be 1000 mAh. It will be interesting to see how those settings affect it.
                                      Same settings as were in mine. On maiden #4 It Happened!!!

All settings were not 7.4, and just as you stated Gear3 was set to 0mAh. I wish HSD would just post the exact setting for this model being as popular as it is.
                                      I plan on trying it again this weekend with 7.4 all around and 1000mAh on all gears, and no door delay...Door travel seems to be okay at 180deg. I'm confident we'll
                                      get to the bottom of this and can at some point soon enjoy all that this machine has to offer.

Comment

• It's so strange because I never had this problem with the gear on my first two. I haven't flown her in quite a while due to weather and getting a new radio and getting her all setup again on the new radio. I'll be taking her out this Spring. I just have to remember to slow down a bit when cycling the gear back down for landing.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

It's so strange because I never had this problem with the gear on my first two. I haven't flown her in quite a while due to weather and getting a new radio and getting her all setup again on the new radio. I'll be taking her out this Spring. I just have to remember to slow down a bit when cycling the gear back down for landing.
                                          My wheel lock duration seems to have increased from approx 5 secs to now 10 or so? What numbers are being experienced out there?

Comment

Working...
                                          X