X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-8 Crusader

Hey I just bought the Freewing F-8 Crusader and the servos aren’t centered. Do I need to center then or can I just adjust the clevis on the pushrod. Also, when I use full down elevator or up my servos make a buzzing noise. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure what kind of radio you have, but you can center the servos using the sub trim. Once center, then you can install the pushrods and center tour control surfaces.

If you have the pushrods installed and the servos are buzzing you might be beyond what the control surface is supposed to travel. See below.

1. Center the servos using the sun trim.
    2. Install your pushrods and center the control surface.
    3. Read the manual to determine how much throw each control surface should have. Adjust your servo travel accordingly. Sent up dual rates and expo to give yourself some control throw options.

Comment

How far off are they from “center”? Is this with the TX and RX powered up? What about how they look when you hook them up to a servo tester set on “center”? If they are still really quite far from 90 degrees (IE, the servo arm is perpendicular to the servo body), you may have to detach the arm and physically move it one tooth toward “centered”. If that’s too much the other way, then you’ll have little choice but to go with how they are. Sub-trim will only work well if you aren’t dealing with two servos that are “Y’d” together (eg. ailerons, dual rudders, dual elevators). If they are “Y’d” together, then you have to use sub-trim to average the two sides as best you can (compromise). From there, you adjust the rod length so that the control surfaces are as neutral as possible to the naked eye. The final trim will be when you trim in flight. Severe adjustments of the trim tabs will need to be manually done when back on the ground.
      As far as the buzzing at full stick, how bad is it? Sometimes, it’s not that big a deal and sometimes it may mean the servo is driven too far. Consider this ........... when actually flying, how often and for how long will you hold any control surface at full throw? For those brief instances, it’s not a big deal. If it really bothers you, go into the servo travel menu and reduce the travel slightly (maybe down to 95% or 90%) until the buzzing stops. Of course, in many cases, when you set up the rates and expo, you likely aren’t going to have or need 100% rate anyway.

Comment

Hey John, use a Spektrum dx6e, I wasn’t sure about sub trim because it says in the manual using to much can cause damage. When you says center the control surface do you mean with the pushrods?

Comment

Originally posted by RC Guy View Post
          Hey John, use a Spektrum dx6e, I wasn’t sure about sub trim because it says in the manual using to much can cause damage. When you says center the control surface do you mean with the pushrods?
          If the servos are way off, you might have to remove the servo and reposition the arm. Sub trim and make small adjustments even if the servos are Y connected.

Centering the control surface meaning there’s no up or down, or left/right. In the neutral position.

Comment

Xviper, I have flown rc planes for 4 years but haven’t really learned everything yet. When you say tx and rx do you mean transmitter and receiver? The Left aileron servo is about 4mm from center. Also I don’t know how servo travel works.

Comment

John I can independently change the aileron sub trim if that’s what you mean. Only one of the servos is around 2-4 mm off. Also the manual doesn’t say anything about throw or travel just dual rates.

Comment

Comment

Xviper, I have flown rc planes for 4 years but haven’t really learned everything yet. When you say tx and rx do you mean transmitter and receiver? The Left aileron servo is about 4mm from center. Also I don’t know how servo travel works.
                  Yes, TX = transmitter, RX = receiver.
                  When you say 4mm from center, are you talking about the actual control surface being 4mm off "neutral" or are you saying that the servo arm is 4mm off from 90 degrees as indicated in your second picture? There's a vast difference between the two and each case needs a different solution.
                  Servo travel should be found in your servo menu in the TX. In there, you should see "travel", reverse, sub-trim and other sub-headings. "Sub-trim" is part of the servo menu on the TX. "Trim tabs" are those little buttons on the face of your TX. They do similar things but are for different purposes. You cannot use "sub-trim" on individual ailerons if they are Y'd together as is the case in many planes. You would have to separate them into 2 different channels to do that.

Comment

Just got a servo tester in the mail, I put the servos in neutral but it looks like the servo arms were not put on perpendicular. The only way problem is the f-8 crusader wing blocks a screw driver. Should I make a hole in the foam or press it down to adjust the servo arm?

Comment

Just got a servo tester in the mail, I put the servos in neutral but it looks like the servo arms were not put on perpendicular. The only way problem is the f-8 crusader wing blocks a screw driver. Should I make a hole in the foam or press it down to adjust the servo arm?
                      Take a razor blade and slice an angled cut from the servo arm screw and out to the foam. Then push the screwdriver into the cut and use it on an angle to turn the screw. When you're all done, there's less of a groove in the foam and you can always cover the slit with some colored tape.
                      You may not ever get that arm to 90 degrees. If you move it one tooth the other way, it may be tilted the same amount, only in the opposite direction. Some servos are just like that. You have to decide how far off perpendicular the arm is and if it's worth giving it a try.

Comment

Is epo glue epoxy? I am using the king boxer epo glue that came with my Freewing f-8. Also, does anyone know how long I should wait to fly after glueing?

Comment

Is epo glue epoxy? I am using the king boxer epo glue that came with my Freewing f-8. Also, does anyone know how long I should wait to fly after glueing?
                          No. Epoxy is a 2 part glue - a resin and a hardener. Epoxy can come in different hardening times - a few minutes to 30 minutes to an hr. The glue that comes with planes is a kind of contact glue. It can take up to an hr to set and up to 24 hrs to "cure".
                          How long have you been in this hobby?

Comment

I never use the glue that comes in the kits. I'll use it non essentials, like gluing in a pilot or a piece of velcro that comes loose. Foam tac is the way to go. Spend the little extra for better quality.

Comment

Working...
                            X