X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

... To me it is crazy turning down throws excessively at the radio...
    I think most of us know this, but just in case it helps anyone - Harold is absolutely right. When you turn down throw at the radio end you are effectively wasting available torque. This might be fine if you have a lot of extra torque anyway (and are lazy, lol), but you are wasting resources when you do that. You should always have the servos moving throughout the vast majority of their range, and adjust mechanically so that servo movement produces the desired control surface movement range. Minor adjustments can be made at the radio end, but if you are down at like 75% or 80% travel on the radio, you should move to a closer hole on the servo arm or farther hole on the control horn, and then raise the radio throw back to normal to compensate.

Comment

• OV10, while I'm sure some Spek receivers are made to operate to the lower spec you said I believe some, especially older ones stopped working at a higher voltage. If I remember right that was a problem with the early 7000's.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
        There's guys who have done it and guys who have lied about not doing it lol
        Now, why would anyone do such a thing?

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Thank you. In this crazy COVID world, nice to have a diversion to keep one’s sanity.

COVID has kept me grounded from my true passion....flying sailplanes. Did I mention that I love to fly?

-GG
        Having lost a couple of friends to COVID and 3 others due to sudden medical causes lately, one can't take it for granted that we'll be around tomorrow. When you have to start using the other hand to continue counting, things get pretty real. Fly your brains out or do whatever makes what might be one of the last days be one of the best days.
        Do what you can to make your plane safe and solid but a crashed plane is a crashed plane. There's always another one to fly. Keep your sticks UP.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

You're missing the point. The entire flight appears to have been "flaps down" including high speed passes. The flap servos may well have been (over)loaded continuously for several minutes. Do you know how they will behave under these conditions, which are not the same as your flights, nor the AL37 flown normally with flaps only extended at take-off and landing speeds.
          I don't think the whole flight was with flaps down. I think the flaps went down on the first slow pass (looks like half flaps to me), of which two were done. After the second slow pass, he went vertical and then did a falling leaf. Coming out of that he did another pass (which is the screen grab that shows flaps still down), then went downwind to set up for a high speed pass. I think one of two things happened:

1. He forgot to put the flaps back up after the slow passes.
          2. He meant to put flaps up, but went the wrong way on the switch and actually put in full flaps.

But like the Tootsie Pop commercial says, the world may never know.
          Pat

Comment

• PS - I'm flying a Graupner RX in mine. Had issues with the BB in the past when using an XPS RX, but rock solid since switching to Graupner.
            Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

Is that the CYCLONE POWER 36MM CENTERBURNER LIGHTING SYSTEM FOR FREEWING MIG-29 TWIN 80MM EDF JET?

How does it attach to the motor can?
              Yes it is the Clyclone brand. It is a friction fit with grub screws. It’s an aluminum mount and the attachment legs bend easily. One fit well and the other took some slight bending and a zip tie to make me feel comfortable with it’s mounting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post
                So who is flying on the inner most hole?
                i was setup on the inner most hole and able to get full factory throws with my transmitter range set to 125%, but then i was having binding issues with down elevator. The safety link was hitting the center of the servo horn. i really wanted to get the maiden in that day and opted for the quick fix of moving to the next hole out and dropping rates to 100. In the end, i liked 110% rates, no expo, and elevon. With spektrum, in my case ix12, when you use elevon, it reduces the elevator rates. The factory control arm recommendation works perfect to get stock elevator only rates.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

The above statement in bold lettering is a misnomer. RC receivers do not generate a power output.
                  For a pilot to be anywhere near concerned about the receivers capability to "pass through" the power (amperage) as provided of an external source as required of the complete flight system you are basically looking at powering a giant scale model.
                  The circuit tracings in the smaller 6 channel Rx's are fully capable of handling the current/power demands of the models that are of predominant discussion of the threads throughout this forum.
                  The Spektrum receivers do have a minimum operating voltage of 3.5vdc. There is a Receiver Power System Requirements section in most Spektrum Rx manuals for which there is only voltage limits and no current requirements.

Best regards,
                  thanks for the clarification. Correct, i should have referred to it as pass through power referring to the circuit traces. i guess this means if it had anything to do with tx or rx problems, it is not likely these systems not being able to pass through the current and maybe more to do with running satellites or diversity antennas. i remember a few posts back someone was using a ar610 and ran into problems. It got me thinking about the possibility that the small recievers have trouble passing through the higher currents of mulit servo and retract planes.

Comment

• I previously posted a pix showing added lighting to assist with orientation during pre-sunrise and post sunset flights. The small red LED was a miserable failure.

Sooooo....I mounted a Day-Brite LED taken from the left wing of my crashed A-10. It has a nice lens, too. Placed it just aft of the latch. Chose the double flash pattern on the control board. If you open and close your eyes while looking at the photo, you will see it flash.

Went out early this AM to try it out. SUCCESS! Great visibility even at longer distances. Of course, you can’t see it if level and the wings are in the way. But, who flies this bird level for very long?!?!

White position light from the A-10 helps, too. But, there is a plate or rod in the tail about 3 in forward that is a challenge to get past when attempting to run the wires.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	79560215-E8CF-4E25-8B53-7DEEE65CE5CE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	281534

Comment

• Pilot with the RC Geeks automated variable control box.

Comment

• Gooniacs firey booty installed. Really bright. Still need a maiden on this one. Installing Model Sounds Inc sound system and waiting on a few more items.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post

He was definitely flying around with (full) flaps during his whole flight.

This is an enlarged screen shot at 2:55 minutes in his flight.

Could happen to all of us (at least I know it from myself) ;-)

Worthwhile to investigate further the effects of (full) flaps on a high speed dive!

Click image for larger version Name:	4A671512-E10B-4140-9506-AA225C50D9D8.png Views:	0 Size:	685.1 KB ID:	281464
                          I havent done it with the mig, but earlier this year a buddy was letting me fly his eflite f18 80mm. He was telling me about the flight characteristics at the same time i was doing a control surface check while taxiing out to the runway. Which apparently was too much multi tasking because i didnt cycle the flaps back up and took off with full flaps. I get in the air and started to speed up as he is telling me how great this plane flies, feels so locked in and light feeling. All the while, im sweating bullets trying to keep it in the air and could barely get the plane to gain altitude and i start giving it the beans thinking it would help. I was telling him something was wrong cause i was having to use almost full up elevator to keep it in the air much less gain altitude. He must have thought i was joking cause he started carrying on with a couple other guys as they talked about how great the f18 is in real life. I pipe up again asking if he has safe select on or a dual rate switch or something cause im already on a second pass at full throttle and can barely get it to climb. He was like no i dont have any of that and laughs as he tells me to stop screwing around and let er rip. Finally im think to myself, ok shes going in the ground as i lined up with the runway. As i start to let off power i start to regain elevator authority and it comes in for the smoothest landing ever. (not as smooth as the mig29😉) By now im in a cold sweat and i tell my buddy, "that sucked." as i get closer, i see the flaps fully deployed. Everyone, in good fun, busted a gut laughing. They really thought the whole time i was giving my buddy crap about his new "amazing" jet.
                          So yah, flaps critically blanking out the horizontals is a thing and my stupidity about crashed a new f18. Wouldnt be too surprised if the mig is that way too, but im not going to test it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                            40 flights a day... holy cow!

That's not what I said. Don't twist my words.
                            The whole tone from your reply pretty was pretty much condescending and full of scorn towards the whole community of YT creators.

Re-quote for reference:

Never asked you for it. You are imagining things.
                            let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

My Arduino based Do-It-Yourself controller does exactly what you want and is FAR less expensive. If you know how to solder you can put one together in an evening and all the instructions are available on my blog:

This really looks cool! This independent flickering is very nice! But don't know if I can find the time to create it myself. I will take it in consideration, thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

I use stuff like this, for all my large models too (as in significantly larger than this foamie)

Keyboard x Stand Sturdy double strut construction, With quick release lock, Adjustable rubber pads, Maximum load bearing capacity: 25 kg, Support depth: 40 cm, Height adjustable from 52 cm (width 87 cm) to 92 cm (width 46 cm), Weight: 4.25 kg,...

Add a little pipe insulation foam to the cross bars and this is a percect stand that folds up in one single move.
                                That was a good idea! ->

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig on stand.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	281592

Comment

• Originally posted by Colorc View Post

I havent done it with the mig, but earlier this year a buddy was letting me fly his eflite f18 80mm. He was telling me about the flight characteristics at the same time i was doing a control surface check while taxiing out to the runway. Which apparently was too much multi tasking because i didnt cycle the flaps back up and took off with full flaps. I get in the air and started to speed up as he is telling me how great this plane flies, feels so locked in and light feeling. All the while, im sweating bullets trying to keep it in the air and could barely get the plane to gain altitude and i start giving it the beans thinking it would help. I was telling him something was wrong cause i was having to use almost full up elevator to keep it in the air much less gain altitude. He must have thought i was joking cause he started carrying on with a couple other guys as they talked about how great the f18 is in real life. I pipe up again asking if he has safe select on or a dual rate switch or something cause im already on a second pass at full throttle and can barely get it to climb. He was like no i dont have any of that and laughs as he tells me to stop screwing around and let er rip. Finally im think to myself, ok shes going in the ground as i lined up with the runway. As i start to let off power i start to regain elevator authority and it comes in for the smoothest landing ever. (not as smooth as the mig29😉) By now im in a cold sweat and i tell my buddy, "that sucked." as i get closer, i see the flaps fully deployed. Everyone, in good fun, busted a gut laughing. They really thought the whole time i was giving my buddy crap about his new "amazing" jet.
                                  So yah, flaps critically blanking out the horizontals is a thing and my stupidity about crashed a new f18. Wouldnt be too surprised if the mig is that way too, but im not going to test it out.
                                  Hello,
                                  i am checking his video also. He has no whole flight flaps down. But its very possible that he forget on flaps and remain them on down position before crash. I think, if you give her full throttle with flaps down, it can damage air flow for elevators and then elevators cant react normally. Maybe...

Comment

• Hey guys, I didn't check for a day and my last post was about 40+ back.... but I have read all the posts. I'd like to pipe in from the peanut gallery because I had an "incident" on Sunday which I described earlier - where my elevators stopped responding in a shallow dive for about two seconds. I'm using an Admiral/Lemon 10-ch with a satellite, I have the RF chokes, and bypassed the blue box. I have the receiver sitting in the front battery bay with the satellite further forward, I have the upgraded servos, middle hole with the last hole cut off, upgraded 4-40 rods and HD ball links, and I counterbalanced the elevators. CG is normal.

There has been a LOT of discussion about flaps "blanking out" the elevators, which is possible, but I am certain that is not what is going on here.
                                    Like OV10, I have had many flights where I've used flaps at different airspeeds without experiencing any problems in control. If it was aerodynamic this would be happening during other flight situations when the flaps were down and we'd still have radio control.

This problem seems to be a R/C problem - because it causes both elevator servos to stop working completely at the same time. (Its really unlikely that both servos would jam at exactly the same time) In my case, I was flying at a relatively low speed, less than half throttle, and it was in a vary shallow dive - and suddenly just stopped responding completely as if the radio was unplugged. I had no elevators (but I wasn't trying to turn). I think that the receiver wasn't working. I regained control after about 2-3 seconds and pulled it out before impact.

Now as I mentioned in my earlier post, I did find afterwards that the satellite's connection fell out, it wasn't plugged in all the way and the antenna orientation could have been better. (I'll fix that obviously) So my only guess is I lost the radio link for a few seconds. My batteries had plenty of charge remaining.

I think I may try switching to the inner hole on the servo arm. I have no idea what's causing this problem but I guess we just have to eliminate possibilities until we can nail it down. Its frustrating because there are so many different things that are going on and not everyone who has crashed is telling us what we need to know (for example was that last crash the result of some kind of radio modification to the antenna)
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by PieterO View Post

That was a good idea! ->

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig on stand.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	281592
                                      Yes, I like his idea. I was seriously thinking of trying one of these too.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                        This problem seems to be a R/C problem - because it causes both elevator servos to stop working completely at the same time.
                                        Did you lose power to the motors as well?

I have a different Admiral receiver (7 ch w/stabilization) and I lost signal on that receiver 3 times in 4 flights. When that happens, the failsafe as it's set up shuts off the motor(s), unless you've changed it. When that happened to me, I got servo control back then shortly after that, power to the motors. Only took a couple of seconds each time, but they were looong seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

Did you lose power to the motors as well?

I have a different Admiral receiver (7 ch w/stabilization) and I lost signal on that receiver 3 times in 4 flights. When that happens, the failsafe as it's set up shuts off the motor(s), unless you've changed it. When that happened to me, I got servo control back then shortly after that, power to the motors. Only took a couple of seconds each time, but they were looong seconds.

Are you using the add-on RF chokes on the ESC wires which have been discussed a lot in this forum?

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X