Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Bajora View Post
      Other than the afterburners, was the plane flown stock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
        Being enclosed may help in keeping the camera warm enough so that they don't shut-off mid-flight.
        They shouldn't be enclosed - that would block airflow over the heatsinks (exposed metal blocks in the Mobius, the screw-holes on the Mobius Mini).

That would be a great way to puff the battery and shorten its life.

Comment

• A simple Mod to reduce Elevator Flex .. With only one C/F Rod in the middle running length wise no wonder there is Flex..Click image for larger version  Name:	9E268FCA-82A6-4E87-8DE8-EC30E3E4C9B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	286192

Comment

• All - I have been monitoring and contributing to this thread for a while now and I have to say it is nice to start seeing more and more positive postings. Looks like the doom and gloom crowd is giving way to more excitment with this amazing model. This is definitely one of Freewing/MRC best designes!
            it was a beautiful Sunday evening in Texas yesterday with a packed flying field. I flew the MiG for three hours non-stop, a quick picture attached.
            I have to say I am starting to like the up angle thrust line which puts the model in high alpha at slower speed - it makes the landings amazing!
            Good job Alpha !

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
              Being enclosed may help in keeping the camera warm enough so that they don't shut-off mid-flight.

I know you have that problem janmb , I have run into it too!
              Will likely test it out myself! :)

After some digging I found this for the Mobius. Understand there's a separate version for the Runcam.
              May even end up doing my own version for a Firefly Q6! :)

This is an aerodynamic box to hold a Mobius ActionCam camera, for mounting on Freewing R/C aircraft weapons pylons. Or, any other object that has the mounting hardware (see notes below). The camera box is offered in TWO versions - one can be mounted under an attachment point, the other can be mounted above an attachment point. An additional two designs are available without the NACA cooling duct (the back of the box is open so cooling air flows through). The box is designed to snugly hold the camera without needing any additional hardware (the camera slides in). DESIGN IS BY GRATEFULFROG I also have a couple of pylons which can be used to extend the camera from the mounting surface, check my other thing files to find those.

Credit to themudduck !
              Precisely. Unfortunately, it seems it is very sensitive to temperature, so this enclosed mount might indeed help - especially when rear facing
              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

They shouldn't be enclosed - that would block airflow over the heatsinks (exposed metal blocks in the Mobius, the screw-holes on the Mobius Mini).

That would be a great way to puff the battery and shorten its life.
                The run cam doesn't have any. And some of us live in a climate where too much cooling is the problem, not too little

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Other than the afterburners, was the plane flown stock?
                  As far as I know, the only change out of the box is using the upgraded elevator servos sent to him by MRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                    All - I have been monitoring and contributing to this thread for a while now and I have to say it is nice to start seeing more and more positive postings. Looks like the doom and gloom crowd is giving way to more excitment with this amazing model. This is definitely one of Freewing/MRC best designes!
                    it was a beautiful Sunday evening in Texas yesterday with a packed flying field. I flew the MiG for three hours non-stop, a quick picture attached.
                    I have to say I am starting to like the up angle thrust line which puts the model in high alpha at slower speed - it makes the landings amazing!
                    Good job Alpha !
                    Be careful with that high alpha due to the thrust line, you can get into a deep stall. From a previous post by GliderGuy:
                    The thrust line is such that once into the high alpha, deep stall, falling leaf realm, adding power only holds the nose up and keeps the alpha high...not recoverable. There is no response to any control input other than throttle.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Be careful with that high alpha due to the thrust line, you can get into a deep stall. From a previous post by GliderGuy:
                      And herein lies the reason I won't try any extreme high alpha stuff till the plane has VT nozzles on it - no fast dives, either just in case.

Comment

Alpha !
                        Good to hear. For my initial hover tests, it makes things much harder - the plane really pitches up.

High time for thrust vectoring :-).

Comment

• Originally posted by HK111 View Post
                          Good to hear. For my initial hover tests, it makes things much harder - the plane really pitches up.

High time for thrust vectoring :-).
                          I actually like it because I can simply use throttle to control the angle of attack. I don't think this plane needs VT but that is all a personal choice.

Comment

I actually like it because I can simply use throttle to control the angle of attack. I don't think this plane needs VT but that is all a personal choice.
                            The problem is that this works great - until you overdo it just a tiny touch, and then you are screwed unless you have a lot of altitude to trade.

I much prefer a neutrally balanced model that doesn't need neither up elevator nor up thrust line to fly stable high alpha. Which is exactly what my MiG will be once I get VT on it.

It definitely flies really well without VT as well, but not being able to push the limits properly in terms of high alpha (yet) is a bit of a bummer, and something I look forward to remedy.

Comment

You don't "need" VT until you need it.

Comment

• Wow what a fun read. Hope the plane can be sorted

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post

You don't "need" VT until you need it.
                                  But on the bright side, if you pancake into the ground, you already have a headstart on removing the stock nozzles

Comment

• Got the reinforcement parts epoxied and taped in place waiting to dry. Turning out quit nice. Once the epoxy is dry will paint and reassemble.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

The run cam doesn't have any. And some of us live in a climate where too much cooling is the problem, not too little
                                      If you remove the battery, you'll see circuit boards right next to the vent holes, which are mounted on metal blocks/covers - heatsinks.

And a good number of us live where summers can get pretty hot - not enough cooling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RC2-01-1__61175.1470711429.1280.1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	286318

Comment

• You pretty much always get enough cooling for these cameras once they get flying if they are out in the open.

Comment

• Not necessarily if they are in fairings as shown in post #3152. Some people have reported that they get warm up enough to start melting hot gun glue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X