Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a great poll! Thanks Evan D for going through the effort of putting it together. It helps me with deciding what modifications to make to the ARF that I have coming next week. I'm looking forward to the challenge,but I'm also questioning my judgment. I feel like Kevin Costner in the movie Tin Cup where he keeps thinking he can repeatedly do better the next shot with hitting over the water onto the green. "I can do it".

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
      Sorry to hear mate. This is kinda why it's a little frustrating when people say stuff like "5 great flights on the mig today, no issues, don't know what you guys are worried about".
      This!!

Also a perfect example of why "it has always worked for me", or "never had a problem" is NEVER a valid argument for anything what so ever.

Got very close to messing up mine today as well, but completely different problem in my case (messing with low, medium high alpha, getting close to deadlock)
      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
        Another one bits the dust!!!!!
        After +- 20 flights. First flight today, after take off I turned and came back down the runway in a shallow dive and it would not pull up. Not much else to say.
        Duke
        Sorry for your loss. I know the feeling after experiencing what sounds like the same issue. Mine still sits in a pile. Even though I was informed my warranty claim was turned down by MRC, I’m waiting for the news that they are going to replace the dozen or so that have gone in due to loss of elevator control.

If I had the drive to build another one, I’d have to perform the list of upgrades mentioned by others here. Everyone of them to give the best chance of survival.

Best of luck with number 2!

John
        Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post

Did you forget to put the flaps up?
          This may be a pertinent question to have answered. Since the plane just took off, were take off flaps used and then forgot to pull them back up?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            This may be a pertinent question to have answered. Since the plane just took off, were take off flaps used and then forgot to pull them back up?
            Yep, it should be the first question to anyone that crashes one of these planes.

Comment

• One of the important questions as well is if any of the crashed planes have aftermarket Elevator servos installed or only Freewing 17gm/upgraded 23gm ones .. If it involved the Freewing ones only that should help pinpoint a maybe q/c “issue” with the Freewing servos..

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
                One of the important questions as well is if any of the crashed planes have aftermarket Elevator servos installed or only Freewing 17gm/upgraded 23gm ones .. If it involved the Freewing ones only that should help pinpoint a maybe q/c “issue” with the Freewing servos..
                Yes, a very good question. According to the poll, nobody with aftermarket upgraded ELE servos have reported a crash.

Comment

• I had a main gear fold on me today. Yesterday I was flying in 15 knt winds and I hit while moving sideways from a gust. When I tore into it this afternoon, I saw the side load yesterday had caused the main gear plastic attachment piece to come unglued from the fuselage only along the side nearest the fuselage/intake duct. Not exactly sure how, but the flexing/movement of this insecure plastic gear mount allowed the main to fold today when I made a less than perfect landing.

If you have some time on your hands, you may want to consider better securing the main gear plastic support mount to better withstand side loads. This may save you from a folded gear later on. Very little damage resulted....scuffed wing tip, scuffed intake on the wheel side where the wheel rubbed against it, and a tiny scuff on the underside of the tip of the FFS.

Another story.....Some toddlers and their parents were visiting today. I put up a child gate to the upstairs part of the house. Those clever children got child furniture and placed it where they could climb over the gate. They pulled the AL37 off the work bench. AARRGGHH!!!

Cracked fuselage in two places, busted rudder, and compression folds in the nose area. OMG! Now there’s some repair work I wasn’t counting on doing. LOL. Could have been worse.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                    Those clever children got child furniture and placed it where they could climb over the gate. They pulled the AL37 off the work bench. AARRGGHH!!!
                    Dang... terrorist children!
                    Sue the parents!

Comment

• Nope...feed the kids to the cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                        Nope...feed the kids to the cats!
                        As per W.C. Fields ........................... "I love children ................... BOILED!"

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          I have five flight modes set up (Spektrum radio) so that one switch brings up the gear and moves flaps up one notch. So I take off with 1/2 flaps and a single action retracts the gear and brings flaps all the way up. For landing I put gear down on downwind or base, and that also gives me 1/2 flaps. On final I put flaps all the way down (flap switch). If I have to go around, gear up then brings flaps back to 1/2 position. (The other two flight modes allow gear down with no flaps, and gear up with 1/2 flaps).

Comment

• krakenreleaser thanks again for sharing your painting process. First time for me using rustoleum spray paint on a foam model, but thankfully no melting/peeling and great coverage of the stock digi camo. I'm going with the Heros of Kościuszko scheme, and hopefully I can make the emblem and tail art to an acceptable level :D

I'm on the fence with modeling some more scale nozzles. The stock ones are a fairly good representation.

Comment

• Looking good! Can't wait to see the final product.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                Those clever children got child furniture and placed it where they could climb over the gate.
                                They sound like RC hobbyists in the making.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I have five flight modes set up (Spektrum radio) so that one switch brings up the gear and moves flaps up one notch. So I take off with 1/2 flaps and a single action retracts the gear and brings flaps all the way up. For landing I put gear down on downwind or base, and that also gives me 1/2 flaps. On final I put flaps all the way down (flap switch). If I have to go around, gear up then brings flaps back to 1/2 position. (The other two flight modes allow gear down with no flaps, and gear up with 1/2 flaps).
                                  I wouldn't be able to remember what all those flight modes do! That is why I just have mine talk to me and let me know I'm flying around at over 60% throttle with flaps down. ;-)

I really think everyone that has one of these planes needs to figure out something to prevent them from making a high speed low pass with flaps down. It sounds like the latest crash was very possibly the result of the high speed dive with flaps down phenomena.

Comment

• Someone at my club flew his MiG at full throttle while forgetting to "normalizing flaps" (his words) without realizing it. No crash. He was taking video with onboard cameras. Put his MiG through all sorts of maneuvers.

He was using D85MG servos for his tails. Basically the same setup used by "Just Plane Crazy" on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

I wouldn't be able to remember what all those flight modes do! That is why I just have mine talk to me and let me know I'm flying around at over 60% throttle with flaps down. ;-)

I really think everyone that has one of these planes needs to figure out something to prevent them from making a high speed low pass with flaps down. It sounds like the latest crash was very possibly the result of the high speed dive with flaps down phenomena.
                                      It's easier than what you do now. Nothing much to remember - gear and flap switches work pretty much as usual except FEWER switch operations needed.

With gear down you set takeoff flaps as usual. Gear switch (A) then retracts the gear AND brings up flaps. Gear down for landing also sets 1/2 flaps. Only when you want full flaps do you use the normal flap switch, just as you normally would.

Wherever the flaps are when the gear is down, they come up one notch when you retract the gear.

Comment

• I am thinking its time to buy one of those how to improve your memory books as that will work for whichever plane you fly

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post
                                          It sounds like the latest crash was very possibly the result of the high speed dive with flaps down phenomena.
                                          After a couple of attempts to get the "crash victim" to answer this question, with no response, it is quite likely that this may be the case. Often times, silence can be as good an answer as any.

Comment

Working...
                                          X