X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Cool, good luck with the flying ya old coot! :)

Wanted to say something smart a$$ about the 50 years but still come across as a joke... One old coot to another.
    Don't get me wrong but I do listen and weigh in my options that have been presented here in the forums. I've only had one crash that the servo did quit working. Froze to one position and wouldn't move. But this is a hobby and stuff happens. Winter setting in. Planes to put to bed, batteries to discharge. Have a great day.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post

. . . . it has worked for me for 50 years.
      Newbie!

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Newbie!
        S. A. LOL

Comment

• I am rebuilding my Mig 29 after crash. If anyone could take photo's the front landing gear doors to illustrate how everything goes back it would be very much appreciated. I checked Youtube nothing there and nothing in the manual. I know it's not rocket science nut??
          Text 803 206 9396
          Thanks for any help.
          Duke2275

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
            I am rebuilding my Mig 29 after crash. If anyone could take photo's the front landing gear doors to illustrate how everything goes back it would be very much appreciated.
            Duke2275
            One photo looks rearward and one looks forward. At one time I added a second spring (the small black one) because I thought the doors were blowing closed and jamming my nose gear from full retraction. Turns out it was a bad gear servo. But I left the second spring on. The stock spring arrangement is to hook onto the pin nearest the door. I moved mine to the inner pin when experimenting and never moved it back out.

Hope these help.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65210.jpg Views:	3 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	289165Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65211.jpg Views:	3 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	289166

Comment

• Thanks GliderGuy
              As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. All back together.

Comment

• I have one for sale in N.Y w/ 6000mah hbs lipo and brand new front gear. Must pick up locally, Please email me or text 5164764885, thank you.

Comment

• Better... Too far for me.

Comment

• So......through a series of strange transactions I am able to acquire a MIG 29 that apparently has the upgraded MRC servos. Owner had crashed his and this was his replacement jet that he decided to sell. Anything I should be concerned about? I am running (or will be) Futaba RX. ARE MOST OF THE ISSUES WITH THE BLUE BOX AND ELEVATOR SERVOS FIXED?

Everything is still NIB.......

Captrko

Comment

• Hi Captrko,
                      DO NOT FLY FAST WITH FLAPS DOWN! And, if you get into a high alpha, deep stall, falling leaf...you have no control and applying full power only makes things worse....you will crash. How to recover? Have plenty of altitude AND chop the throttle. This will allow the nose to drop and you can recover.

Other than that, spend time reading all the posts in this forum and watch the videos posted.

You will see the following stand out:
                      1) Fun bird to fly...easy to land.
                      2) There is still some unknown reason for some crashes.
                      3) The stock elevator push rods are inadequate.
                      4) Move the CG back 10 to 15 mm aft of mark.
                      5) Move the elevator push rods to the innermost hole in the servo horn.
                      6) Only the lightest battery types should go in the forward battery bay. Pretty much don’t put a battery there. Use this bay for your RX.
                      7) See next paragraph!

As you read the forum posts, you will see many ideas and suggestions proposed. Adopt those you want to. Ignore the others. You will learn a lot!

Lots of folks (me included) are having great success with this awesome jet. It is a crowd pleaser and a hoot to fly. Best of luck and have fun.

Again, flying fast with flaps down has been shown to be risky! The aerodynamic loads this causes on the elevator servos may cause the servos to stall, and the MiG will become a lawn dart!

-GG

P.S. I have probably flown the MiG more than most (400+ flights). What mechanical design weakness have I uncovered through all this? Only one! Keep an eye out for any vertical shaft movement on the main gear. Outside of the need to tighten the gear grub screws periodically....vertical shaft movement will allow the mains to fold up upon landing. If you detect any vertical shaft movement, take the main gear servo apart and tighten the topside screw on the main shaft and add lock tight, of course.

Comment

• Dont have this plane but been watchin this thread. Lots. Great analysis. Plug n play. Should not. Eliminate rational thinking real planes are put thru rigouras testing. As are cars etc etc but still at times end up under scutiny call backs air bags. Bla bla. ... The world of cost first has done this. It seems to me the basics of this frame r as u should expect. From a foamie at this price slash size. Good .. as we expect. Full flaps at full speed. Im in about 3 years. Im not that dumb mmm. Dont expect to drive a hyundai like a formula 1 car.... It dont work

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                          Dont have this plane but been watchin this thread. Lots. Great analysis. Plug n play. Should not. Eliminate rational thinking real planes are put thru rigouras testing. As are cars etc etc but still at times end up under scutiny call backs air bags. Bla bla. ... The world of cost first has done this. It seems to me the basics of this frame r as u should expect. From a foamie at this price slash size. Good .. as we expect. Full flaps at full speed. Im in about 3 years. Im not that dumb mmm. Dont expect to drive a hyundai like a formula 1 car.... It dont work
                          Yeah, the model is overall brilliant. But recommended CG is a joke (like on all models), and the tail deserves some stiffening up + better servos. Not just for safety, but also for a more precise feel. With the stock setup, you can easily feel the mushy response.
                          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• This-
                            Make better pushrods, stronger, less flexible rods and better ball links
                            Also move the servo arm one spline notch forward so the arm is 90deg to the push rod, not to the air frame.

Also add one turn of reflex to the aileron and flap pushrods.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                              Hi Captrko,
                              DO NOT FLY FAST WITH FLAPS DOWN! And, if you get into a high alpha, deep stall, falling leaf...you have no control and applying full power only makes things worse....you will crash. How to recover? Have plenty of altitude AND chop the throttle. This will allow the nose to drop and you can recover.

Other than that, spend time reading all the posts in this forum and watch the videos posted.

6) Only the lightest battery types should go in the forward battery bay. Pretty much don’t put a battery there. Use this bay for your RX.
                              7) See next paragraph!

As you read the forum posts, you will see many ideas and suggestions proposed. Adopt those you want to. Ignore the others. You will learn a lot!

Lots of folks (me included) are having great success with this awesome jet. It is a crowd pleaser and a hoot to fly. Best of luck and have fun.

Again, flying fast with flaps down has been shown to be risky! The aerodynamic loads this causes on the elevator servos may cause the servos to stall, and the MiG will become a lawn dart!

-GG

P.S. I have probably flown the MiG more than most (400+ flights). What mechanical design weakness have I uncovered through all this? Only one! Keep an eye out for any vertical shaft movement on the main gear. Outside of the need to tighten the gear grub screws periodically....vertical shaft movement will allow the mains to fold up upon landing. If you detect any vertical shaft movement, take the main gear servo apart and tighten the topside screw on the main shaft and add lock tight, of course.

Good info thanks!

I guess some titanium pushrods would work? Anyone have the size off hand?

Comment

• These have been reported to work (currently out of stock):

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...ng-pushrod-set

Or DU-BRO 4-40 threaded rod and hardware in the photo.

Head Evan’s additional suggestions. FYI - Setting the flaps and ailerons so they sit “up” (reflex) a bit has been shown to improve the flight characteristics.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	794DDCC3-C0FC-4145-8563-17AC9381C764.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	137.9 KB ID:	289613

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                  Hi Captrko,

7) See next paragraph!

-GG

GG: I'm shocked you didn't add the Ferrite chokes to your list! I use them on all my planes after your advice and experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post

GG: I'm shocked you didn't add the Ferrite chokes to your list! I use them on all my planes after your advice and experience.
                                    LOL - I elected not to list everything....But I did suggest studying ALL the posts. Let the reader be on notice!

-GG

Comment

• So I'm still setting mine up, and I have a few questions that I hope you experts can help me with... I know its probably been addressed already multiple times, but gear up or gear down when finalizing CG? I've set the recommended trailing edge thickness of reflex on the ailerons and flaps, where should I set my elevator neutral at now? Any recommendations? I'm setting my CG for 150mm. Is there any flap to elevator mixing needed with this jet? Cheers! Jeff.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hi RC30Flyer - My first recommendation is to spend the time reading though the forum posts and adopt the modifications you choose to. Fail to do this and you risk missing out on the set-up and flying knowledge and ideas previously discussed. Some good and some not so good. Spend the time and potentially avoid the loss of your MiG.

Now to your questions...at 150 mm you are 10 mm behind the mark. Measure the balance with the GEAR DOWN. Your trim position in the top photo is about right at about 2 mm below. At 10 mm aft of the mark, 2-3 mm below is a reasonable maiden point. At 15 mm aft of mark, about 1 mm below is fine, and your servos will be stressed less.

Very little, if any, flap/elevator mix is needed. I started with 5% and removed it after the first flight.

Report back after your maiden. The MiG is a joy to fly and sooooo easy to land.

Cheers,
                                        GG

P.S. Avoid flying fast with flaps down!!!!! This has been shown to be a risky flight condition due to the loads imposed on the elevator servos. I slow to 1/2 throttle, put gear down...let her slow down ...THEN put the flaps down for landings....reducing to about 25% on final and adjusting as needed. Expect her to float with the nose up a bit and settle on the mains very nicely.

Comment

• The thrust vectoring units are available (!)

RC-Castle has the TV units (FJ31611014) in stock, for about 90$.

Now we talk :-)!

Comment

Working...
                                          X