Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    This-
    3) The stock elevator push rods are inadequate.
    Make better pushrods, stronger, less flexible rods and better ball links
    4) Move the CG back 10 to 15 mm aft of mark.
    5) Move the elevator push rods to the innermost hole in the servo horn.
    Also move the servo arm one spline notch forward so the arm is 90deg to the push rod, not to the air frame.

Also add one turn of reflex to the aileron and flap pushrods.
    You are on the right track. I made carbon fiber pushrods with titanium ends for the elevators.
    4QR1HU9N7

Comment

• I did my Maiden today.......flew great no issues, no trim needed.

Stock airplane with the upgraded servos..... No need to fly around high speed with flaps.

Comment

• 3D Exhaust Nozzles by Frank Born , from Germany , can be found on Face Book , if interested

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201211_154027.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	290093 . Click image for larger version  Name:	received_830770101077959.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	290092
        BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
          3D Exhaust Nozzles by Frank Born , from Germany , can be found on Face Book , if interested
          Hey Jetman, yes Frank Born is on Facebook but there's nothing there about the 3D-printed nozzles, no information. Is he selling them, or is he offering the STL files? Are the STL files posted somewhere where they can be downloaded?
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Jetman, yes Frank Born is on Facebook but there's nothing there about the 3D-printed nozzles, no information. Is he selling them, or is he offering the STL files? Are the STL files posted somewhere where they can be downloaded?
            The files are not anywhere, so I would contact him directly on face book .
            BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• 8 flights this weekend on the Mig-29. It flies great, lands great and looks great with all the missiles under the wings. Played more with the deep stalls and its very predictable and can be fun with some altitude. I'm getting 8-9 min flights with reserve. This is by far my favorite FW jet so far.
              Attached Files

Comment

• With rain forecast all day tomorrow, I wanted to fly a bunch today. Winds settled down by 11AM. Beautiful sunny day 45 F to 50F. Almost calm after 11 AM. Flew until a bit after sunset.

MiG = 16 flights (my favorite)
                F-4 = 8 flights
                P-38 = 9 flights

I kept 3 four-station chargers and 16 batteries cycling continuously and my truck’s alternator cranking the amps out. Had a few folks from the highway stop and watch Whew! Time for a shower and something to eat. Fun times!

-GG

Comment

Some patience, please. There’ll be either a moulded version available for purchase or I’ll make the files available, decision will be made in the next days.

Frank Born

Comment

• It's a beautiful design Frank. Well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Some patience, please. There’ll be either a moulded version available for purchase or I’ll make the files available, decision will be made in the next days.

Frank Born
                      Thank you Frank, nice to see you are on the discussion group here. Your design looks great!
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                        MiG = 16 flights (my favorite)
                        You are really the MiG-Meister :-)!

Comment

• Originally posted by HK111 View Post
                          You are really the MiG-Meister :-)!
                          LOL - Maybe in number of flights, but others are better at putting the MiG through its aerobatic paces from what I'm seeing posted on YouTube.

With the number of flights on my MiG, I'm seeing the need to reinforce the main gear mounts. The main gear plastic mounts are beginning to loosen. The visual clue is that the main gear shafts are no longer vertical and splay outward a bit...watch for this as you view the MiG from the rear as you taxi out.

What I outline below is what I have done in lieu of ripping out the plastic gear mounts and re-gluing them. Why not rip them out? Because about 3/4 of the gear mounts remain stuck solid...I think I would destroy them in order to fully remove them. Note: Clearances between the gear servo case and gear mount are tight. This limits what can be done in regards to reinforcement. Other methods may be better, no doubt.

Note: In the below, I am assuming the MiG is upside down....so when I say "above", I mean the direction toward the ceiling (in other words toward the actual bottom of the MiG).

#1 Remove the outer plastic gear mount covering (4 screws) and the main gear servo (also 4 screws). Place a cloth or towel where you can lay the servo/gear assembly on the belly so as not to damage the foam..
                          #2 Carefully remove the paint from the <vertical> intake <foam material> side of the wall in the area above the plastic gear mount and also remove paint from the plastic gear mount along and parallel to the intake wall.
                          #3 Carefully remove the paint from the foam area above the plastic gear mount that is to the rear and above the plastic gear mount. Note: This is a small area. Also remove the paint from the plastic gear mount parallel to the rear foam wall.
                          #4 Lay in some fiberglass or thin 0.5 mm carbon fiber planking or carbon fiber cloth or plywood onto the foam vertical intake side of the wall in the area above the plastic gear mount. Also, do the same for the small vertical foam area on the rear side above the plastic gear mount.
                          #5 Once the reinforcement on the vertical walls has cured, add some angle bracing <your choice> that attaches both to the plastic gear mounting box and to the vertical walls that now have the added reinforcement.

TAKE CARE not to interfere with the mounting area that the gear servo sits on. The main gear servo flange still needs to sit flush on the plastic gear mount.

Due to the lack of much clearance along the front side of the plastic gear mount box (clearance between the gear mount box and servo motor), there is a limitation of what can be done to the front area.

You may elect to approach this reinforcement in another way. But, eventually...some reinforcement will probably be needed from what I am experiencing.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                            What I outline below is what I have done in lieu of ripping out the plastic gear mounts and re-gluing them.
                            You may elect to approach this reinforcement in another way. But, eventually...some reinforcement will probably be needed from what I am experiencing.
                            -GG
                            Sounds good, do you have any photos you can share of the process? Thanks.

Comment

• Hi Viper1 - Sorry, I didn’t take any photos, and I’ve already buttoned it back up. No real rocket science involved. Just needs a little beefing up any way you see fit. If you don’t do it now....you probably will be doing it sometime in the future.

Might as well get ahead of the game. It is the torque that side loads place on the plastic gear mount that needs to be addressed.

-GG

Comment

Thank you Frank, nice to see you are on the discussion group here. Your design looks great!
                                The files for the nozzle are available for a fee on cults 3d.
                                In addition, I've uploaded a file for the ventral air scoop that was omitted by the designers of the model. This one is for free.

This set consists of three parts, the outer can, petals fitting inside the can plus petals for the fuselage. Note that the cans come with a flange at the rear end. It is recommended to print the cans with this flange on the print bed. The flange needs to be cut off once printed.

Comment

• A somewhat interesting data point. Within the last week or so, I have had to replace both main gear servo motors. They started exhibiting less than 100% reliable function....either not retracting fully or not extending on the first command or only partially extending.

The interesting part? Since each flight is 2 cycles (one up/one down), the servo motors performed over 1,000 cycles before having reliability issues, Not bad!

Note: 100% Smooth hard surface operation...no grass operations.

-GG

P.S. Landing with the nose wheel and one main wheel extended does VERY little damage. I debated doing a belly landing....a belly landing would create more damage.

A scuff on the bottom of the low-side nozzle is about it. Check for slight scuffs elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Frank Born
                                    Purchased the files this morning only the main body left looking good thank you for your designs.

Comment

• STL files:

https://cults3d.com/.../freewing-mig-29-upgrade-nozzles

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_830770101077959.jpeg
Views:	633
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	290419

Comment

•  

Comment

• those are some good looking nozzles t33jetman. I hope Frank sells a ton of them. Excited to see your MiG's completion. Watching your progress updates have been awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                          X