Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha /Freewing / Motion Rc, great job ! Looking fwd to assembly and Maiden this jewel, thanks again from the panhandle of Florida !

Comment

• Not sure about 200... I am happy with the one I have.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Beauty bird and Many of us will be happy to have it.
      Please don't forget there is huge group of people wishing to make bigger F-22 Raptor. Let Alpha know that More than 200 pilots is asking for F-22 same size as Mig29.
      Thank you guys. Best for you.

Comment

• So I was going through my old videos today and remembered how interesting the LX MiG-29 was to fly. Set it up as 6 channels with the tailerons, ailerons, and VT wired together into a delta configuration, rudders and VT y'd together, and flaps and retracts. Totally stock LX and picked it up used for $80. Sadly it died when the RX melted down but I got another airframe and set it up 12 channels but have yet to fly it. I wonder if I'll even bother flying my new LX MiG now that MotionRC has a properly engineered one with way better components, or if I'll leave it where it sits.

Amazing how far we've come from the LX airframes.

Comment

• Flight video thoughts!

Don't get me wrong guys, i'm a HUGE fan of the Mig 29 and Freewing and Motion Rc (my Avanti is on the way btw) and i would love to own this bird someday too, but after watching the flight video i have a feeling this Jet struggles like most Edf jets in terms of weight to thrust ratio. I am sorry but to me the entire flight was like how i fly my Excalibur warmliner, power up - gain altitude cut the throttle glide down for a low pass, that way i fly it 10mins extra over the stated flight times, just being brutally honest here!

I love this bird, i feel it's beautifully designed and as a scratch builder i know this is not a easy job to completely nail a bird that size in terms of design and production, so hats off to that Freewing. But for HOT flying i give it 2.5mins tops, we would have loved to see a lot more scale rolls, loops, some higher verticals, how about a Knife Edge show pass? I'm not even sure if a Mig 29 can pull a knife edge without Tv, 4 point roll? Some high alpha action? I am sure in the future videos some of this would be covered, but my whole point is she feels very underpowered. Additional Tv will only add more weight and reduce flight times further :(

What i would personally like to see in future Jets;
          1) New building techniques to save weight further, thinner foam and some kind of smooth covering over the foam (Doesn't have to be balsa or glass) Please check out Future model Edge 540t with PP skin as an example.
          2) Tired of seeing boxy 3 - 4 mm thick TL on scale Jets, I know there is fear of damage if it gets thinner but how about some Plastic TL guys which will go all upto 1-2mm pointed out like the Fibreglass jets have? Come on to produce a plastic TL foam covering can't be that hard?
          3) I fly mostly fast Planes/Jets/Pylons I know Edf cannot be compared to a propeller plane, but a friend of mine built a big scale J10 (1400mm length/1100 span, out of Depron/balsa/some glass. AUW is 2kg with a 3600 6s HRB lipo and fms 2100 Inrunner. That bird has at least another 800g - 1kg thrust to spare. He does under arm hand launch and the bird flies out of his hand like a balloon, most of his flight is at 50% throttle and even at 60% he has insane amount of vertical, and full throttle will have tons of speed (haven't tested yet)
          4) Jets are fun when they have lots of power to spare, i know this has always been the challenge with Edf jets but i sincerely hope some advancements in technology and building techniques happen here.

Said that, i am hoping future flight videos of the MIg surprise me, i am looking forward to seeing more. I understand the challenges with weight but we hope all future jets at least have 1kg+ real thrust to spare for fun flying.
          Just my humble 2 cents, happy to be pointed out wrong about any above information.

Cheers guys and thank you MotionRc/Freewing!
          :)

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0woDBoZs0 I know 2 90mm 10s can't be compared to a 6s setup but this is the kind of power i would love to see on future Edf jets.

Comment

• I suspect Major Croasdale, in his wisdom, probably isnt fully exploring the flight envelope of the only Freewing Mig 29 in the USA on its first flights lol.

At the end of the day they are bound by the laws of chemistry and they would be (rightly) pilloried if they released a USD650 jet with a 2 minute flight time. Nothing stopping guys from running hot setups in an ARF.

Comment

• Hey Alpha
              could you tell me what size axles are on this bird ..

Tnx Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by yf22raptor View Post
                Hey Alpha
                could you tell me what size axles are on this bird ..

Tnx Dan
                @y22raptor

Hi Dan, the main axles are 5.05mm and the nose axle is 4.1mm

Originally posted by stormseq View Post
                EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0woDBoZs0 I know 2 90mm 10s can't be compared to a 6s setup but this is the kind of power i would love to see on future Edf jets.
                Hi stormseq , welcome to Hobby Squawk and thanks for sharing your feedback, I appreciate it! Nice video, too, I enjoyed watching it and have always promoted Aerotetris' approach!

As to your comment, I'd have to say that for a MiG-29 to have the performance of 2x 90mm 10s, we would have needed to make our MiG-29 use 2x 90mm 10s. That is unfortunately well beyond the target price point of a 2x80mm 6s MiG-29 which is intended to be flight-ready in less than an hour with a single glue joint to assemble, instead of the hundreds of glue joints (plus many nights of surfacing work) required to get that Aerotetris MiG-29 in the air.

One of the reasons why I have always been an outspoken fan of platforms such as Aerotetris' unique puzzlepiece approach is that he gives us as modelers more options, if/as we're so inclined to spend the necessary hours and money to result in the performance you see in that video. I think --I HOPE!-- there will always be builders around the world who want to spend their time building a one-off KIT that they can personalize, outfit, and enjoy as fruit of their labor. If I had more time, I would buy and build more Aerotetris kits myself! Aerotetris is a great option for this because he doesn't need six figures for tooling and molds, so his enterprise can subsist on much lower volume to keep those foam blocks profitable, while the user covers the cost for outfitting the rest of the model's required components separately.

But as for the "sweet spot" within the marketplace for an EDF jet that is mass-produced, painted-and-decaled, panel-lined, fly-in-an-hour, spare-parts-available, screw-together, warranty-covered, scaled-out and lit-up out-of-the-box, (all things which the Aerotetris is not), the twin 80mm Freewing MiG-29 is about as large and costly as we're confident in backing at this time... for now. If it turns out there is a reliably sizeable group who would actually pay for a 2x90mm 10s F-15 or similar twin (just to use your twin as an example) and didn't sweat a price tag approaching $1k, then maybe we'd consider it.

Please stick around! It's always nice to welcome another big jet pilot into this Squawk community we all enjoy. Feel free to post your airplane ideas in the request thread, as well. We're always listening, counting, considering.

Also, for anyone not following along, Aerotetris' big MiG-29 can be seen here. I think it's such a neat way to build an airplane! Check out his website below and give him a shout out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	2514
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	268745Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	2465
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	268746

EDIT: On today's livestream the question came up about the scale cant on the vertical stabilizers, the sweeping angle approaching their TE, and the angled exhaust nozzles. As this picture shows, we were able to replicate all three of those aspects from the real MiG-29 onto ours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2979.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	268744
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Hi Alpha et all,

Not sure if it was mentioned in previous pages but will motion RC be offering any option for brakes or recommendation of current brakes in the market that would fit existing MIG-29 gears?

Comment

• Mavernick* We're not offering brakes at this time. But I posted the axle diameters up above for anyone pursuing aftermarket brake sets.
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• The field that Patrick is flying the Mig at is kinda tight. I have been there. I think he is just taking that into consideration with the way he is flying it. They were probably also trying to maximize flight time which was quite lengthy by comparison to many. Personally, I prefer a bird that takes some energy conservation and throttle management. Looked to me from the videos that it flies great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                        Mavernick* We're not offering brakes at this time. But I posted the axle diameters up above for anyone pursuing aftermarket brake sets.
                        Alpha many thanks , will try and locate suitable brakes based on the axle size.

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

I don't think I did miss the point, I was saying that new models like the HAVOK are using this sytstem so it's not especially "old school".
                          The vectoring system used by the SAB models and virtually any other turbine model ever, is completely different, and indeed also old school. Seems you have some weird ideas about the meaning of that term. Something still being in use doesn't mean it isn't old school.

The EDF solution used by FW, both before and apparently also on the new mig, is based on plastic ball inside a plastic housing, with a tunnel running through it. Which is a perfectly fine solution for EDFs.

For turbines, including the SAB models (not just the Havok btw), the common solution is a metal pipe hinged inside two layers of rings, providing freedom of movement in pitch and yaw. Same result, different solution. Which is obviously also a necessary difference, since there is significant heat involved.

For the SM SU-30 they have used a real nozzle consisting of many small blades, just like the full size has.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by stormseq View Post
                            Flight video thoughts!

Don't get me wrong guys, i'm a HUGE fan of the Mig 29 and Freewing and Motion Rc (my Avanti is on the way btw) and i would love to own this bird someday too, but after watching the flight video i have a feeling this Jet struggles like most Edf jets in terms of weight to thrust ratio.
                            I looks like a typical EDF performance to me (as well), but exactly what would be surprising about that? Isn't it exactly what this model is?

I don't have any experience with the F-14, never even seen one live, but I have extensive experience with the A-10, and the MiG certainly seems to have a better ratio than that. (which it also needs in order to be fun)

I don't think it looked bad for an EDF at all.

For my part I am looking at a 20 lbs turbine setup down the road, but I'm sure I am going to enjoy EDF flights too :D

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• I'd be up for a Ludicrous Speed version!

Comment

• If you follow FN-RC on Facebook, they just posted a good video of the Mig-29 which better shows the speed envelope of this Mig. Not the best quality video, but you'll get the idea.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                                Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                  If you follow FN-RC on Facebook, they just posted a good video of the Mig-29 which better shows the speed envelope of this Mig. Not the best quality video, but you'll get the idea.

https://www.facebook.com/FNRCHOBBY
                                  And it seems he transported that in the trunk of a Mustang!

Comment

• Entirely possible, I can fit the 90mm F22 assembled with nosecone on in the back of my Corvette.

Comment

• Now for an F-15 or F-22 in this scale/size!! 😀

Comment

• F-15 maybe. The current F-22 is good but could be better if it had TVs.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                          The field that Patrick is flying the Mig at is kinda tight. I have been there. I think he is just taking that into consideration with the way he is flying it. They were probably also trying to maximize flight time which was quite lengthy by comparison to many. Personally, I prefer a bird that takes some energy conservation and throttle management. Looked to me from the videos that it flies great!
                                          I think they're totally hamstrung by the "fishbowl" flying field,also the very tight photography makes the plane look great but gives you no reference for how fast or high it’s going, they need to show more normal view shots along with the close ones.

Comment

Working...
                                          X