X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    With some of the answers they've given they might just be.
    No need to be rude to engineers and physicists. The screen you are looking at right now was designed by them, the equipment used to manufacture it was designed by them, and the communications network you are using to read this and submit your response was designed by them.

Comment

• And the car he uses to bring models to the field and the phone he uses to call people and...

Comment

• No need to repeat your self...

Originally posted by kallend View Post

No need to be rude to engineers and physicists. The screen you are looking at right now was designed by them, the equipment used to manufacture it was designed by them, and the communications network you are using to read this and submit your response was designed by them.

Comment

• Oh nice, I love to bag on engineers!

My dad was an engineer and the safest thing I ever saw him do was accidentally cut through an extension cord with my skillsaw as he was using to cut plywood. It took him a minute to figure out what happened to the saw. I respect his intellect but his mind and hands often weren't related.

And I have a friend who is a successful robotics engineer. He seized his car engine because he drove it without checking or changing the oil, ever. He was surprised he only got 120,000 miles out of it.

A wheel consists of the hub, the spokes, and a rim. The tire smoothes it out.

I find it humorous, alongside my deep respect and admiration.

Comment

• thanks for all the responses, the white 5 to 7v leds I bought came with in line resistors and as I am not using a blue box it looks like my 5.5v choice was a suitable one.

Comment

• Exactly, to dumb it down I say there are engineers and technicians. Some have the mind for both, some don't.

I find it crazy when educated people can't see that people without paper can not be as intelligent as those with. And those people that assume you don't have education because you don't flaunt it.

But I did put a smiley face on it because at the end of the day I sincerely respect many engineers, not for the paper on their walls but for their demonstrated abilities.

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
              Oh nice, I love to bag on engineers!

My dad was an engineer and the safest thing I ever saw him do was accidentally cut through an extension cord with my skillsaw as he was using to cut plywood. It took him a minute to figure out what happened to the saw. I respect his intellect but his mind and hands often weren't related.

And I have a friend who is a successful robotics engineer. He seized his car engine because he drove it without checking or changing the oil, ever. He was surprised he only got 120,000 miles out of it.

A wheel consists of the hub, the spokes, and a rim. The tire smoothes it out.

I find it humorous, alongside my deep respect and admiration.

Comment

• Exactly Evan! I knew what you meant. I work with structural engineers and architects, and at any meeting I always prefer to sit next to the engineer. They are usually far more interested in pointing to, say graph paper than the wall paper, if you get my triple innuendo.

Comment

• Does anyone else find it strange that with what may be the most customer interest on a release in some time and after almost 6 months since it's introduction, that none of the many incredibly talented designers we have on this forum have yet to introduce a 3D cockpit for the Mig? Come on guys, we significantly inferior peons are counting on your expertise to get us through these darkest of days. Or maybe it's some kind of Russian conspiracy that they want to keep their top secret electronics out of "Western hands". Don't they know anyone can pick up a used Mig-29 almost anywhere for a few rubles?
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I have been designing a russian Helmet... all I will say for the time being!

Comment

No need to repeat your self...

Why? You keep repeating your snarky comments about engineers (on equipment and by way of a system designed by engineers, on a forum about toys that wouldn't even exist without engineers).

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Why? You keep repeating your snarky comments about engineers (on equipment and by way of a system designed by engineers, on a forum about toys that wouldn't even exist without engineers).
                        Wilber and Orville and Glenn Curtis were not engineers, they were mechanics and yet they designed and flew aircraft without computers or even slide rules. So keep up your so called snarky comments Evan . No need for these people to act like they`re the only ones who know everything about anything!

Comment

• Most engineers are thinned skinned
                          Let’s hope 2021 is better than 2020. Would be nice to get the world back to somewhat normal.

Comment

• Have you noticed I make my snarky remarks right after you make a comment about how we wouldn't have a civilization without engineers? In the latest case calling out Motion for employing "regular folk" and not "qualified" engineers or physicists.

"I doubt that many qualified engineers or physicists are answering the phones for Motion.".

You can put me on ignore if it bothers you so much, but as I've said I am making these posts in jest...

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Comment

• Now I know why I don't hang out here much anymore, between the engineers, CG experts, scale police, video experts who show the same videos of them flying over and over doing the same thing, this place is getting boring, let's all start over and respect one another like how it all started, 2021 is going to a better year hopefully for all of us, but some people will never change.

OKay, back on topic, oh wait, forgot what the topic was,......

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifty View Post

Wilber and Orville and Glenn Curtis were not engineers, they were mechanics and yet they designed and flew aircraft without computers or even slide rules. So keep up your so called snarky comments Evan . No need for these people to act like they`re the only ones who know everything about anything!
                                Did bicycle mechanics design the computer screen you are using to read this forum? Or was it, maybe, engineers? Did mechanics create the internet you are using to send your comments?

And I wonder who developed those rare earth magnets in your EDF motors. Do you think, maybe, it was engineers, or mechanics?

Who developed the methods for turning sand into 99.9999% pure silicon for the chips in your R/C system? Engineers, maybe?

And those nice colored LEDs in your nav lights? Did mechanics invent those? And the carbon fibers for your wing spars?

What about those nice 2.4GHz frequency hopping radios? Engineers created those.

If it weren't for engineers you wouldn't have this hobby.

Comment

• The topic obviously was how engineers created the universe.

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                                  Now I know why I don't hang out here much anymore, between the engineers, CG experts, scale police, video experts who show the same videos of them flying over and over doing the same thing, this place is getting boring, let's all start over and respect one another like how it all started, 2021 is going to a better year hopefully for all of us, but some people will never change.

OKay, back on topic, oh wait, forgot what the topic was,......

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                                    Most engineers are thinned skinned
                                    Let’s hope 2021 is better than 2020. Would be nice to get the world back to somewhat normal.
                                    I agree, I think we all need a reboot with the new year. The difficulty with online forums is that we aren't, in person, looking each other in the eye having these conversations. So jest or observations can sound harsh sometimes, when humor is probably more likely the shared disposition.

I think people will be how they will be regardless of occupation or qualification, some humble and approachable some not. I respect experts in whatever their field who remain teachable or open to new ideas from less "qualified." Because they are smart enough to know that sometimes answers to complex technical questions lie outside of the box they've grown accustomed to.

I personally prefer hobbysquawk over other forums because of what seems like a genuine interest to assist one another in our mutual pursuits and share in the appreciation of our mutual success and sometimes failures. It's not a gimbal measuring contest. I hope my comments are never flip or come off as disrespectful. And I will not be too nervous to ask a dumb question or answer one with respect. Smart ass answers or humor will never deter me. Maybe I'm projecting but I doubt it.

I don't own a Mig 29 yet, but I will. I want to learn as much as I can. I've already learned that I probably shouldn't try to fly fast with flaps down.

Comment

The topic obviously was how engineers created the universe.

No, the topic is your continued denigration of the people without whom you wouldn't have this hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

To be fair; this is a forum about "model aircraft". You may recall the movie "Flight Of The Phoenix" where actor Hardy Kruger, who played a "model aircraft designer" says: "A toy airplane is something you wind up that rolls along the floor....a model airplane is something totally different and must be designed to withstand better stability than the real thing..." Engineers are creative mathematicians; architects and designers are creative thinkers and mechanics and technicians fix all of their mistakes....lol....Happy New Year 2021!....

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                          Does anyone else find it strange that with what may be the most customer interest on a release in some time and after almost 6 months since it's introduction, that none of the many incredibly talented designers we have on this forum have yet to introduce a 3D cockpit for the Mig? Come on guys, we significantly inferior peons are counting on your expertise to get us through these darkest of days. Or maybe it's some kind of Russian conspiracy that they want to keep their top secret electronics out of "Western hands". Don't they know anyone can pick up a used Mig-29 almost anywhere for a few rubles?
                                          Hugh, I believe that the talently clever Dirty Dee is designing a cockpit. I do not know whether that will be available for sale, however. But you never know. Best, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X