Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting the TVs on a gyro is on my to-do list, although that's using it more like an SBUS decoder so I can get rid of the second XR8 Rx the TV servos are currently running off. Gyro stabilisation on the nozzles has some benefits flying high alpha.

Min channel count for this jet with TV would be 9 channels (standard 6 channel setup and y-harness the TV yaw servos), but that rules out tailerons which would suck.

Comment

• For anyone looking for a good Russian pilot check out 3D print model RUSSIAN JET-PILOT at CGTrader that can be scaled to any size you want. ( https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...sian-jet-pilot )
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post
        Ah ok.... Leaving the nozzles off of the gyro is one option I have with my setup. I honestly don’t know if there is a benefit to using a gyro on the nozzles since this jet can’t hover with the stock power system anyways.
        Why would it need to hover for that to be a benefit? Any slow, high alpha flight where you transition from aerodynamic lift into partial lift from the engine thrust, will have great benefit from a gyro for sure.
        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Why would it need to hover for that to be a benefit? Any slow, high alpha flight where you transition from aerodynamic lift into partial lift from the engine thrust, will have great benefit from a gyro for sure.
          True. I was thinking more along the lines of for flips and spins, the gyro may not be necessary, but I could see where a slow high alpha pass would benefit from the extra control the gyro would provide. My fingers don’t react anywhere as fast as a gyro would 😂.

Ideally, I’d want to have the nozzles on the gyro as well. I’m just still trying to work out how to make that happen with just the Spektrum 8360T (or the 10 channel version coming soon) since the manual states it won’t stabilize an open mix and you have to use one of the predetermined wing/tail types in the radio.

My idea (which is completely theoretical at the moment) would be to setup tailerons and then duplicate those outputs to another pair of outputs on the receiver which would connect to the pitch servos of the nozzles. This would let me setup travel and endpoints for those servos independently of the tailerons, but unfortunately does not allow independent trim or rates for the nozzles, nor for me to shut them off in flight in case of an issue. My Mig is trimmed out and flying very well as it is now so the trim concern may not be a big deal.

Alternatively I could setup an open mix and get a second gyro dedicated to the nozzles,(which admittedly appears to be the simplest solution) but I’d prefer to skip buying extra hardware if possible.

Comment

• Copy paste from RCG:

"Ok, I have quite 'big' news.
            Took the MiG for some more flights today and can now totally confirm that the jet is capable of proper flat spins WITHOUT thrust vectoring.
            Just as the Su-35, you need jet as flat to horizon and as stalled as possible, then hit full roll with tailerons to left or right and the jet will flatspin in the opposite direction. It's harder to enter the maneuver than it is with the Su-35 though. Hopefully it gets better with more aft CG, and TV will make it a no brainer.

I can also confirm that just as I predicted way earlier in the thread, the jet will pop out of locked tailslides by cutting throttle.
            Cutting throttle is also recommended to exit flatspins (if you were using any to begin with, which I don't).

I consciously forced the 'locked tailslide' attitude which basically ensues from having the jet at high alpha or tailslide with full throttle. Either you backflip or you get into that locked attitude. No amount of pitch-up or down will break out of it as already reported by previous users as long as you keep throttle on. But cut the throttle and the aircraft dynamics immediately take over, jet noses back down and you can easily exit the maneuver, no big deal.

I'm not usually that 'I told you' guy, but considering the ammount of backlash I got at the beginning of the thread for predicting behaviours before having flown the jet, I think I've earned this one so... I TOLD YOU!

So, the accidents (if there was any?) or close calls came from people panicking and keeping full throttle. Another thing that we can cross off the list now.

Videos coming soon enough "

/endcopypaste

Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post
            I honestly don’t know if there is a benefit to using a gyro on the nozzles since this jet can’t hover with the stock power system anyways.
            There obviously is. My Su-35 doesn't hover ATM and its handling is a hundred times better with the gyro on the nozzles turned on.
            If you've seen any of my videos flying the Su-35 you get an idea of what that can mean, and if not, here goes a taste:

:) :) :)

Originally posted by Dustman View Post
            For anyone looking for a good Russian pilot check out 3D print model RUSSIAN JET-PILOT at CGTrader that can be scaled to any size you want. ( https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...sian-jet-pilot )
            Finally a proper pilot that is not a western spy!

Comment

• Couvercles d'échappement pour mon MIG-29 , merci a Frank Born pour le fichier 3D.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Super cool a l'air super.

Comment

• Chrisi, Welcome to "Hobby Squawk". Glad you're onboard. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrys View Post
                    Couvercles d'échappement pour mon MIG-29 , merci a Frank Born pour le fichier 3D.
                    Trea Bien Monsieur, c’est beau, magnifique dètail. Bon idèe. Merci pour le partage .

Comment

• The fun goes on!

Comment

• Bravo Airguardian! Nice demo of breaking out of the deep stall by chopping the throttle + other fun stuff you are doing.
                        -GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                          The fun goes on!

Ditto to what GG stated, more outstanding flights and video as usual. Forgot from your previous posts but do you have the TV's in yet? Also, seems your getting 3:30 to 4:00 flight time. What batteries are you flying?
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks!
                            No TV nozzles installed yet, this is all with stock fixed nozzles.

I have made flights up to 5:20 minutes already, wasn't really pushing on the flights in the video.
                            I fly with two different sets:
                            2x 6S Turnigy Panther 5000mAh '75C' (870g)
                            2x 6S Turnigy Nanotech 5000mAh '35-70C' (760g)

Mostly Panthers though, I only have a couple of Nanotechs.
                            The flights in the video were both Panthers.

Comment

• Might be worth keeping in mind that “full cycle” (defined as max cell voltage down to 3.3 V) shortens LiPo life, if you believe what is generally communicated on the Internet. These authors generally provide the guidance of, “Use 60% and leave 40% in the tank.” ... to maximize LiPo life. And also...charge at no more than at a 1C current.

Per these authors, LiPos generally last 250 to 350 “full cycles” (stated as LiPo design life expectancy).

Flying with 6000 mAh batteries, after a 4 min flight (mostly at 3/4 throttle and mixed), I use between 3600 and 4000 mAh. I do throttle back to 1/2 throttle and mixed for the last min.

This has been my practice for a couple of years, and I get significantly greater than the reported “design” life cycle counts from my LiPos.

Another benefit of leaving 40% in the tank is it takes less time to charge, and go-arounds are mentally more comfortable knowing you’ve got juice left for the go-around.

Bottom line....If you ascribe to the info on the Internet, long flights are harder on LiPos, especially if flown with a throttle setting(s) that takes the cell voltage near 3.3 volts.

For the AL37, I make the flights at 1/2+mixed to get the same 40% left after a 4 min flight.

-GG

Comment

• I think it's more like 70% used, 30% in reserve.

Peronally I always charge at 1C (even less for some packs) and try to always land with packs at 3.7-3,8 v/cell
                                I often get down to 3.65 but VERY rarely get down to 3.3-3.5 v/cell

My 6S 5Ah Panther packs are 4 at 81 cycles, 2 at 67.

Only one cell on one of these packs has recently shown an increase to over 2 mOhms/cell and has a hard time getting to 4.2V on charge.

Comment

• What are your thoughts on the cell resistance? I have read that degrading to 7 to 12 mOhms/cell is OK. But, toss the battery once it gets to 20 mOhms/cell.

My failures to date have been cell a connection failure (Admiral carbon 5100) or a cell not charging to 4.2 V or failure for cell voltages to become even somewhat close upon balancing.

I only recently got a charger that can measure internal resistance. I have read articles about the cautions for testing internal resistance to ensure valid data.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

-GG

Comment

• I have chargers that give internal resistance. Brand new batteries generally show IR of around 1.0+ to 2.5. Even one of my older, most used batteries show less than ~6 - 7. Those still work adequately in low draw applications. I just tested one of my oldest (10 years) that I have not used for at least 8 years. It comes from a time when I knew absolutely nothing about LiPos and abused the crap out of them. This one is quite puffy, yet it still registered 4.0v/cell and is quite even across the 3 cells. One cell showed 9 mOhms and the other two were at 27 mOhms. I should throw these things out but I keep them for testing purposes and for powering servo testers and RXs for binding via an external UBEC.

Comment

• At 2:17 "I couldn't pull up, it just started diving".

Looked just like a bunch of the other crashes.

Pilot blames transmitter problem.

Comment

• Ouch....Transmitter module becoming unplugged is a painful way to loose a plane. At least the cause is known. Watch to the end for the analysis.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                          At 2:17 "I couldn't pull up, it just started diving".

Looked just like a bunch of the other crashes.

Pilot blames transmitter problem.
                                          That's painful to even watch, must have been dreadful for you. I have the DX9 as well, but how do you think the module got unplugged, one more thing to worry about?
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X