X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
    Why are we having these lame nitpicking debates anyway?
    Beats me. Maybe some people have an old "peter meter" they just need to use again. I have my idea of what "high alpha" is and really don't care what an armchair aeronautics engineer thinks. These are "toy" model RC airplanes. Really, who gives a crap?

Comment

• “During high alpha flight, the wings produce nowhere near enough lift to remain airborne”
      Model or not this is 100% wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
        Why are we having these lame nitpicking debates anyway?
        Because this always happens between a new models announcement and it's arrival in customer hands.
        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickstop View Post
          “During high alpha flight, the wings produce nowhere near enough lift to remain airborne”
          Model or not this is 100% wrong
          roflmao

I guess I should have made clear I'm talking about sustained high alpha flight.

Any aircraft, even a sailplane, cannot sustain any amount of alpha without giving up energy (either speed or altitude, which are two sides to the same coin)

Chop the throttle during a high alpha run and you fall down. Simple as that. Equally true for full size and models.
          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• My nephew flew the X-31 during some of its high-alpha test flights. Specifically, he did the short landing experimentation. This required pushing the nose over at just the right moment to keep from smacking the rear of the jet into the runway. Here's a shot of one of his landings. Yes...it was proven that short-field landings can be done in a jet.

More here if you are interested. Sustained flight demonstrated at 70 degrees. Amazing.

-GG

Click image for larger version

Name:	High Alpha.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	269067

Comment

• Geeze 13000 views ..... 20 pages alphas going to need a bigger container

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                Because this always happens between a new models announcement and it's arrival in customer hands.
                I just look every now and then to watch for flight reports ..... I figure around page 130

Comment

• Next week stand by for the scale police

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                    My nephew flew the X-31 during some of its high-alpha test flights. Specifically, he did the short landing experimentation. This required pushing the nose over at just the right moment to keep from smacking the rear of the jet into the runway. Here's a shot of one of his landings. Yes...it was proven that short-field landings can be done in a jet.

More here if you are interested. Sustained flight demonstrated at 70 degrees. Amazing.

-GG

Click image for larger version

Name:	High Alpha.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	269067
                    Yep, precisely because high aoa adds a ton of drag, so you can give up lots of energy very quickly

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                      My nephew flew the X-31 during some of its high-alpha test flights.
                      That looks amazing, with all those tons in motion just a slim margin away from disaster.

Comment

• Our second flight is now posted gentleman, this time on 4000 mAh LiPo's and we asked Patrick to play in the high-alpha although it's not his comfort zone

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post
                          Our second flight is now posted gentleman, this time on 4000 mAh LiPo's and we asked Patrick to play in the high-alpha although it's not his comfort zone

Promising!

Comment

• Patrick's the man. He is welcome to fly any of my models any time he likes.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I jumped on the band wagon with this one .I couldn't help myself I ordered 2 migs. Was just wondering how much a 11 blade fan would sound like and would it really hurt the performance. Would like to see a test run with a 11 blade fan

Comment

• DO you have specific fan unit and motor in mind when you say this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jet jocky View Post
                                  I jumped on the band wagon with this one .I couldn't help myself I ordered 2 migs.
                                  Are you trying to kit bash and make a Mig-58?

Comment

• No I just love this jet. I love the lines and the side profile. It looks mean and nasty and fast . They need to make all these jets big and bigger, there is plenty of power to do that.

Comment

• I may order a second one and do this. Already have the decals from Callie as I was going to do it to an LX Mig-29, but never completed it.

Pat

Comment

• I suppose ther is not yet a test from gras? My Finger is on the pre order button to Puch as zoon as i see this liftoff grom gras :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Edwin-0 View Post
                                          I suppose ther is not yet a test grom gras? My Finger is on the pre order button to Puch as zoon as i see this liftoff grom gras :)
                                          They said video has been taken of grass operations, but it has not been posted yet. I'm pretty sure James is working on it.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X