Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well guy’s , today the maiden was done. Beautiful day, wind was less then 5mph, little sun, little cloudy, good temperatures!
    however , after 30-40 sec on flight , on my first pass to ceck trims and more the jet put the nose down and no controls ( elevator) was responding.
    the bazillion parts spred it as nutella on bread was shocking . I have many pilots near me during the maiden and all together start murder screaming when they saw the plane coming down straight.
    If i crush something i have no shame to say so , does happen once every blu moon and happen to everyone, but this one i had zero responsibility.
    Straight line and then down like a hawk .
    So much work on it !
    Broken heart for sure . Sorry this one wasn’t pilot fault.
    ps: i did fly today orher planes aswell,same batteries same radio no problems.
    gonna be a while before I order something again, i need to drain this out my system first, i still have smoke coming out from my ears.
    i’m sure the new model will have a different system to work on it ! Meanwhile mine, just like a dead body, rest inside a bag ! RIP my friend in peace ✌🏼
    love you Freewing, sometimes happen and is part of the hobby . I get it and i know that too.

Comment

• Ps2: not even the time to do a pic for the mayham ... damm it

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post
        Ps2: not even the time to do a pic for the mayham ... damm it
        Sorry for your loss. Did you get the video you promised (Jan 31); it might have some clues:
        will definitely do the video of the maiden to share.
        Were you able to perform an autopsy to determine the cause?

Comment

after 30-40 sec on flight , on my first pass to ceck trims and more the jet put the nose down and no controls ( elevator) was responding.
          What a damn shame. So sorry to hear of this. You spent so much time on it to make it just so.
          When you had no elevator control, did you by chance try any other control surfaces (like aileron). Just wondering if it was only elevator or if it was a total loss of all controls (signal loss?). What about throttle? Did you have time to alter throttle?

Comment

Man...Sure sorry for your loss.

If you feel like it, would you mind posting your set-ups and mods. Anything that you think important. Also, confirm flaps were up or not flying fast with flaps down. Any hint of a cause after looking at the pieces?

So sorry, I know how you must feel.

-GG

Comment

• So sorry about the loss. Quick question, did you use flaps for takeoff?
              Pat

Comment

• Sounds like a flap-stab problem.

Were the stab servos the stock ones?

Comment

• I know Sam had upgraded control rods but not sure about other mods. I watch Airguardian 's great flying videos and see RudyD54 fly his at our field and I think I have to have one as soon as it comes back in stock, then see what happened to Sam today on his maiden and get cold feet again.

I still wonder if this is from low/intermittent voltage and a BB problems or a temp loss of signal caused by ESC interference at high throttle without the RF chokes GliderGuy recommends. It doesn't take much stab deflection to get the Mig heading up in a relatively shallow dive, especially at high speed, so these servos are simply DOA when needed.

​​​​​​​
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

The pics you already showed are fine, enter it, you got my vote. Loved your fractured arctic camo, the upgraded pilot and the green LED HUD display. We all fully appreciate the work you did to finish this out, no small feat.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thank you very much for the love guy’s !

let start video:
                      I handle my camera asking to do some zoom in 4k during the flight...
                      Let cut the chaise. This elderly person never push the play to start the camera . I can’t get mad with him, to sweet of a man .

Reciver : i have many , many of this Spektrum AR9030T , never had a single issue in many years or planes .
                      i bind the mig reciver to my f-18 to see if surfice controls was working. Yes they did it.
                      so reciver is just fine .
                      If “ helps “ i saw after the crush one elevator still connected to the servo . The other can be find it .

Take off: yes i did use flaps.
                      shortly after I’m always gear up and flaps up , as always i do .

servos: i did pretty much the same of Brenden from Just plane Crazy , so Hitec servos , hangar 9 linkages. Very solid .

set up . Manual just like the manual .
                      mods was just painted, leds, pilot and such .
                      i’m glad I didn’t use for maiden any of my 3d printed ordinance or the stock ones .
                      just the plane.

the flight was around 40 seconds, just a loop around the field, on a straight horizontal line, mid/up throttle all together the plane dove down.
                      For the few seconds hawking down i did not have any response on elevator.

can be the blu box have some issue ?
                      impact was hard, lost 1 brand new battery admiral 6kmah , the pilot ( warbirdspilots cut in a bust ) the blu box, the mytrickrc system lights ( ouch ) and few other parts ...

btw, 6 whistles was sound incredible, even for such short ammount of time !
                      to the next guys, in few months will be my b-day , might ask for another one ?

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU

Comment

• The only pic i did before entering in the field ..
                        that’s it
                        Attached Files

Comment

The only pic i did before entering in the field ..
                          that’s it
                          But you also have some pics that you posted here earlier and the ones you sent me in the PM's showing the entire jet, the one close up of the pilot and the lit HUD. Those are fine for the contest. BTW, when is the contest. Any photos of the crash site? Those would get you tons of votes.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

The only pic i did before entering in the field ..
                            that’s it
                            Such a work of art. I encourage you to do another....in time. A few more questions, please...
                            • Were you using any remotes/satellites...and if so, how were they placed / plane orientation?
                            • Location of the receiver and/or satellites if used
                            • Were additional clip-on RF filter chokes used? If so, where were they placed?
                            • Was a range check performed with the EDFs running prior to flight...and if so...with the MiG at different orientations?
                            There have been a couple of MiG crashes like yours and the cause was never determined. And...in the past, I've lost an A-10...twice...and an F-4 just like this. Suddenly, just nothing (Futaba gear) followed by lawn darting. Interestingly, if it means anything...or it's just dumb luck, I haven't experienced any losses since I began installing RF filter chokes on high current ESC birds. I suspect it's more than dumb luck and leaning to a state of statistical significance considering the number of flights I've made with my MiG, F-4 and AL37s.

Thank you.

-GG

Overkill no doubt, but on the MiG there are 6 add-on RF chokes installed. One each in these places: ESC throttle lines to the receiver...installed by the green toroid choke at the receiver, One (RF choke was supplied by Futaba) on the SR-10 Futaba dual servo reverser...installed on the line from the reverser to the receiver <elevator channel>, One on each side of the rear battery...each choke clipped onto each set of the the ESC lines coming forward from the rear fuselage area, One on each elevator servo installed as close as possible to each elevator servo. I decided to do a "ain't taking no chances' approach with the MiG.

Took a more reasonable approach for the following:
                            F-4 = 2 add on RF chokes (ESC lines and throttle line)
                            AL37 = 4 add on RF chokes (ESC lines and throttle lines plus one about mid fuselage clipped onto the long elevator servo wires)

Comment

• OK, here's a question for you RX & TX electronic guru's to answer.

So Sam is flying level but not at full throttle with flaps up, upgraded hitec servos and control rods, when it suddenly heads down with no response from the elevator servos. Then:

1) Assuming it was a signal loss from ESC interference, and battery power through the BB to the elevator servos was still good, would the fail safe default servo position move them down to a preset 0 position or leave them at the same "last known position" before signal loss (therefore keeping it flying level). Guess it depends on how you set the failsafe and where your nuetral point is.

2) Alternatively assume it was some sort of BB failure or low/no voltage going to the servos and those puppies are momentarily dead. Is there enough downward pressure on the back portion of an unbalanced horizontal stab that it would deflect the stab downward causing a dive, or would that stab remain "weather vained" in a perfectly nuetral position.

Yes, I must have too much time on my hands and need to get a life, but this issue must have a reasonable solution.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Such a work of art. I encourage you to do another....in time. A few more questions, please...
                                • Were you using any remotes/satellites...and if so, how were they placed / plane orientation?
                                • Location of the receiver and/or satellites if used
                                • Were additional clip-on RF filter chokes used? If so, where were they placed?
                                • Was a range check performed with the EDFs running prior to flight...and if so...with the MiG at different orientations?
                                There have been a couple of MiG crashes like yours and the cause was never determined. And...in the past, I've lost an A-10...twice...and an F-4 just like this. Suddenly, just nothing (Futaba gear) followed by lawn darting. Interestingly, if it means anything...or it's just dumb luck, I haven't experienced any losses since I began installing RF filter chokes on high current ESC birds.

Thank you.

-GG
                                Yes i did have 2 satellites exta on the reciver .
                                I cover all corners, horizontal and vertical.
                                one was on the front nose ( lost it aswell) and other one in the back . ( still attached to reciver)

pre flight ceck it’s MUST all the time,
                                even flight after flight for each battery change, and i cycle gears too. All the time .
                                i saw a very similar video on YouTube of what happen to me .
                                i’ll repet it , i will have zero shame to admit if was my fault, happen and will happen again .
                                I really put alot of attention into it.
                                You mention Futaba... i just order the T16sz , hope to have good time with this one.

just to make it clear , i have nothing against Motion or Freewing,
                                they always take care of me as costumer and this was my very first time ever to loose a plane in such way .
                                i’m glad there are lot of pilots out there having fun with this mig. I’m sure deserve better “ review “ then this and Airguardian clearly show the capability of it .

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

But you also have some pics that you posted here earlier and the ones you sent me in the PM's showing the entire jet, the one close up of the pilot and the lit HUD. Those are fine for the contest. BTW, when is the contest. Any photos of the crash site? Those would get you tons of votes.
                                  Hey Hugh, sorry I don’t have any photos after the . crush . I was incredibly shocked and speechless, with helps of others we collect the most of it and tossed in my car ...
                                  cheers !

Comment

• Thanks for taking the time to respond to all the questions. I just now added a PS to my post #4013.

Believe me...we're all trying to figure out the unknown that appears to be still lurking about.

-GG

Comment

• [QUOTE=Griffon Wings;n300997]

Yes i did have 2 satellites exta on the reciver .
                                      I cover all corners, horizontal and vertical.
                                      one was on the front nose ( lost it aswell) and other one in the back . ( still attached to reciver)

pre flight ceck it’s MUST all the time,
                                      even flight after flight for each battery change, and i cycle gears too. All the time .
                                      i saw a very similar video on YouTube of what happen to me .
                                      i’ll repet it , i will have zero shame to admit if was my fault, happen and will happen again .
                                      I really put alot of attention into it.
                                      You mention Futaba... i just order the T16sz , hope to have good time with this one.

just to make it clear , i have nothing against Motion or Freewing,
                                      they always take care of me as costumer and this was my very first time ever to loose a plane in such way .
                                      i’m glad there are lot of pilots out there having fun with this mig. I’m sure deserve better “ review “ then this and Airguardian clearly show the capability of it .

Your going to love the Futaba 16sz, you won't have to worry about satelites or anything, just install the rx and place the antennas the way they show you in the manual and fly, not saying things can't happen but it works great and has all the features you will need, I bought a used one and set up a few jets and a heli with it, but I needed some extra cash at the time and sold it because I had a Futaba 7CH as well, so I 'm still flying with that but can't wait to get another 16sz one day.

Comment

• Depends on if he set failsafe. If he did the servos would go to the points he set which is typically the sticks centered. If not the servos stop at the position they are at when the signal is lost.

Almost everyone is flying the MiG a bit nose heavy. If they loose signal the plane would dive either way, fail safe or not.

I noticed Griffon had radio (TX) issues a few days before this flight. It's not clear to me if he was using that TX, I believe a DX9, or another, maybe a new NX10?

I'm sorry for his loss, from what I can see he did some good work on it.

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                        OK, here's a question for you RX & TX electronic guru's to answer.

So Sam is flying level but not at full throttle with flaps up, upgraded hitec servos and control rods, when it suddenly heads down with no response from the elevator servos. Then:

1) Assuming it was a signal loss from ESC interference, and battery power through the BB to the elevator servos was still good, would the fail safe default servo position move them down to a preset 0 position or leave them at the same "last known position" before signal loss (therefore keeping it flying level). Guess it depends on how you set the failsafe and where your nuetral point is.

2) Alternatively assume it was some sort of BB failure or low/no voltage going to the servos and those puppies are momentarily dead. Is there enough downward pressure on the back portion of an unbalanced horizontal stab that it would deflect the stab downward causing a dive, or would that stab remain "weather vained" in a perfectly nuetral position.

Yes, I must have too much time on my hands and need to get a life, but this issue must have a reasonable solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                          Depends on if he set failsafe. If he did the servos would go to the points he set which is typically the sticks centered. If not the servos stop at the position they are at when the signal is lost.

Almost everyone is flying the MiG a bit nose heavy. If they loose signal the plane would dive either way, fail safe or not.

I noticed Griffon had radio (TX) issues a few days before this flight. It's not clear to me if he was using that TX, I believe a DX9, or another, maybe a new NX10?

I'm sorry for his loss, from what I can see he did some good work on it.

Thank you EVAN D,
                                          i did use my DX9 , the NX10 was an immediate return. Toyish radio very disappointed on that,alote !!

well, originally i should do this paint job on it, maybe i will do it again , as soon the city allows us to work again , being a whole years without...that’s right, a while year ! Crazy ah ?!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X