X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    Back to MiG topic, I had an accident yesterday. Came in too low for a low pass and hit a treetop.

The MiG won though! Gotta love the extra inertia of a 6kg airframe!
    Came out in a heavy sideslip but I managed to straighten and level her out between tumbles with three or four meters to spare.

No video of this one ssadly... it would have been pretty epic.
    Wooh, don't think my frail syque could handle another Airguardian "mishap", thank heavens it was only minor damage. At least I now know my mishaps can compete with some of the best out there! Recently dropped my F-4 Blue Angel way out in a lettuce field on the other side of a canal because I wanted to do a long, slow approach, but got it too slow and almost out of sight before turning (God only knows what I was thinking, if anything). Landed softly in the field, only minor scuffs! Thought it was "gone forever" but RudyD54 got in the truck with me and we found it and the pickers wondered what the hell we were doing driving in their field. Almost ran out of gas getting there though.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Whenever I drive alongside high voltage transmission lines on I-80 just west of Morris, IL, coming from the Braidwood nuclear station, my VHF car radio temporarily goes silent or the AM radio generates a tremendous 120Hz buzz.

The radiated e/m from those lines is enough to swamp the circuitry in any receiver. It does not have to be in-band of the receiver for it to do so.

When I was a kid we lived close by the main BBC TV transmitter for London (Crystal Palace). I could connect a high impedance headset to my bedspring and listen to the TV sound. No tuning or amplification needed.
      The spectral power density at 2.4 GHz from the transmission lines would very small - so you're thinking it's happening at the receiver's intermediate frequency after down-mixing from 2.4 GHz? If that's the case, then some shielding around the receiver could mitigate.

Comment

...The MiG won though ...damage consists in a torn landing gear door along with part of the right wing leading edge root, missing plastic piece from the fuse that fixed the wing's LE and some scratches on the LERX on both sides ... After that I brought flaps down, deployed landing gear and performed the smoothest landing I've done in ages...
        Just do the russian thing, patch it up and kick her back into service... bit of gaffa tape and some staples should do the job and it'd look more scale than anything else on here 😁

Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
        Worst part was my broken pride taking yet another dent!
        If only Motion RC sold replacement self-regard... it'd be forever on backorder 🤣🤣😂!

Comment

• Originally posted by Teslamandex View Post

What surface was that servo assigned to?
          It came off from the Mig-29. I'm sorry. I don't remember what control surface it came from.
          4QR1HU9N7

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

Just do the russian thing, patch it up and kick her back into service... bit of gaffa tape and some staples should do the job and it'd look more scale than anything else on here 😁
            Might take more than tape and staples to fix this one! https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...mig-29-fighter

Click image for larger version

Name:	mig-29-crash-top.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	304634

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Wooh, don't think my frail syque:
              Psyche?

Comment

• New MiG-29 video for your enjoyment:

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                Wooh, don't think my frail syque ​ could handle another Airguardian "mishap", thank heavens it was only minor damage. ​ At least I now know my mishaps can compete with some of the best out there!
                I'm on an accident spree lately...
                They either don't come, or come all at once!

Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                Sounds like a plan! :)

Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                If only Motion RC sold replacement self-regard... it'd be forever on backorder 🤣🤣😂!
                I bet!

Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                Might take more than tape and staples to fix this one!
                My goodness!
                Is that 0921? :o

Maybe I need to leave mine broken so it's proper scale now! LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                  Might take more than tape and staples to fix this one! https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...mig-29-fighter
                  Ah... Ukrainians do it in style... I expect more than a few Russians have done worse to their Migs in recent years!

Comment

• I have today received my VT for the Mig 29 checking the movement of the servos I found that the right one the up and down pitch was fouling on the cover as it had been glued on too far to the left. I had to remove it and reglue so the arm was not fouling. Advise check movement before installing on the Mig 29.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Psyche?
                      Yes, Psyche, thanks, that's what a bottle of Jack will do for you! And you'd think I would remember that it is a derivative of Psychotic, being the poster boy for that and the first picture that pops up under Wikipedia when you look up the word.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman I may have missed it, but are you getting this MiG? I love the way mine flew last fall and now that the VT nozzles have been installed, I can't wait to give it a go when the runway dries up.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          Hugh Wiedman I may have missed it, but are you getting this MiG? I love the way mine flew last fall and now that the VT nozzles have been installed, I can't wait to give it a go when the runway dries up.
                          Absolutely, I'm a glutton for punishment. As soon as it comes back in stock (hopefully before the guys in white coats come to get me-I know my wife already called them). Got some pieces already for the modifications I plan and have worked out my repainting scheme. Need to get some custom graphics from Callie designed and the bird itself and I'm ready to go. I'm tired of watching RudyD54 have a blast fling his at our field and doing videos of it for him, but I'm going to school on his mods and set-up so he's in for some work helping me with mine. I plan to just give it to him and say "make it so".
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• After much work getting the VT nozzles, new tail servos, new receiver, and secondary gyro for the nozzles installed and the cabling cleaned up I am now the proud owner of my first vectored thrust jet. Met up with Hugh Wiedman today for the re-maiden. For the first flight I took her up and got her all trimmed out which went wonderfully. I enabled the thrust vectoring for the second and remainder of the flights. All I can say is that the vectored thrust turned the MiG into a whole new animal. I had never flown anything with vectored thrust before and I was incredibly surprised at how quickly it eased any fears I had with this airframe. Prior, I was always a cautious with certain maneuvers that would put me into a high alpha position without PLENTY of altitude as it takes quite a bit to recover from the deep falling leaf stall and I had scared myself on a few occasions. Post thrust vectoring those fears have been laid to rest. I cannot believe how much authority I now have to push the jet around in whatever direction I need. Full throttle, right stick forward, instant exit from the falling leaf. Flat spin? Easy. Backflips? No problem. I’m still working out which maneuvers look best strung together, but here’s a couple of videos that Hugh took. I can’t wait to get her out again. By far my favorite jet now.

Flight 1 - https://youtu.be/IQuCcj9SCUM
                            Flight 2 - https://youtu.be/4IkIHeGkUL4

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post
                              Post thrust vectoring those fears have been laid to rest.
                              A new believer has joined the flock today!
                              Come brother, and rejoice in the holy beauty of thrust vectoring aerobatics!

Comment

A new believer has joined the flock today!
                                Come brother, and rejoice in the holy beauty of thrust vectoring aerobatics!
                                Amen!
                                😆 what a rush....🤯

Comment

After much work getting the VT nozzles, new tail servos, new receiver, and secondary gyro for the nozzles installed and the cabling cleaned up I am now the proud owner of my first vectored thrust jet. Met up with Hugh Wiedman today for the re-maiden. For the first flight I took her up and got her all trimmed out which went wonderfully. I enabled the thrust vectoring for the second and remainder of the flights. All I can say is that the vectored thrust turned the MiG into a whole new animal. I had never flown anything with vectored thrust before and I was incredibly surprised at how quickly it eased any fears I had with this airframe. Prior, I was always a cautious with certain maneuvers that would put me into a high alpha position without PLENTY of altitude as it takes quite a bit to recover from the deep falling leaf stall and I had scared myself on a few occasions. Post thrust vectoring those fears have been laid to rest. I cannot believe how much authority I now have to push the jet around in whatever direction I need. Full throttle, right stick forward, instant exit from the falling leaf. Flat spin? Easy. Backflips? No problem. I’m still working out which maneuvers look best strung together, but here’s a couple of videos that Hugh took. I can’t wait to get her out again. By far my favorite jet now.

And it was a windy, gusty day and she flew like it didn't care a bit. Either RudyD54 in a short time has turned into one of the best pilots I've seen, or that Mig with the TV nozzles is just "The Cat's Meow", probably a lot of both. 5 flights with the TV (and only a total of 20 altogether on the Mig) and he looks like the Lead Solo pilot for the Russian Demonstration Team. I hate him.

I've got some other footage I'll put together and post later, assuming I don't just delete the recordings out of spite. If I can't get one soon, I may go postal on him! Clearly the single best flying and behaving EDF Motion, or anyone else has ever produced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_165149.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	305345
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

After much work getting the VT nozzles, new tail servos, new receiver, and secondary gyro for the nozzles installed and the cabling cleaned up I am now the proud owner of my first vectored thrust jet. Met up with Hugh Wiedman today for the re-maiden. For the first flight I took her up and got her all trimmed out which went wonderfully. I enabled the thrust vectoring for the second and remainder of the flights. All I can say is that the vectored thrust turned the MiG into a whole new animal. I had never flown anything with vectored thrust before and I was incredibly surprised at how quickly it eased any fears I had with this airframe. Prior, I was always a cautious with certain maneuvers that would put me into a high alpha position without PLENTY of altitude as it takes quite a bit to recover from the deep falling leaf stall and I had scared myself on a few occasions. Post thrust vectoring those fears have been laid to rest. I cannot believe how much authority I now have to push the jet around in whatever direction I need. Full throttle, right stick forward, instant exit from the falling leaf. Flat spin? Easy. Backflips? No problem. I’m still working out which maneuvers look best strung together, but here’s a couple of videos that Hugh took. I can’t wait to get her out again. By far my favorite jet now.

Totally awesome news to hear! Well done!

And really glad to see more people discovering the fact that what vectoring offers, more than anything else, is increased control and safety. Far too many pilots have the preconception that vectoring somehow makes a model harder to fly. The exact opposite being the case.

Can't wait to get my own MiG rebuilt with vectoring. Have it all in house, just need to find the time to put the effort in.

Edit: That was indeed brilliant flying - hope James showcases this on the next available live show
                                    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                      I've got some other footage I'll put together and post later, assuming I don't just delete the recordings out of spite. If I can't get one soon, I may go postal on him! Clearly the single best flying and behaving EDF Motion, or anyone else has ever produced.
                                      roflmao. Out of spite lol. He indeed flies very well. Controlled ballsiness - just like it should be.

And yes, the MiG is a brilliant model once the issues are dealt with. It has a quite significant list of items I feel are mandatory to improve, and certainly not one of those models that work great out of the box, but fortunately all those aspects are fairly easy to improve. And once dialed in, it is a fantastic model for sure.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Wonderful content gentlemen, awesome flying and great skill behind the camera, too.

Comment

• Great video and flying, congrats with the new TVs.

Comment

Working...
                                          X