X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

There are many different ways that will work ok.

I'd recommend for starters:

Keep ailerons as ailerons. (roll)
    Keep rudders as rudders. (yaw)
    Keep flaps as flaps.

Use stabs as tailerons. (roll + yaw)
    Use vectored nozzles mixed to work in the 3 axis (roll + pitch + yaw) but detached from trim!

If you want to use a 3-axis gyro to improve post-stall maneuvering predictability, install it on the nozzles and use high gain settings.
    If you want to use a 3-axis gyro to improve behavior in presence of wind gusts, install it on the stabs and rudders, use low gain settings.

If you want both, install 2 gyros or find a suitable high end gyro that can do it all.
    ...or link the stabs and nozzles together but there are many disadvantages to that and I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Good morning
    Thank you, #Airguardian, for your comments. As always, your opinion can be relied upon. I have an 8 channel gyro that I am free to program and will try it out as described.
    I will first fit the SU-35 with it and if it flies as desired, the MIG as well.
    Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
      Finally got around to uploading RudyD54 's first flights of his Mig 29 after installing the TV nozzles. It was a bit windy 12-18 mph and gusty so the first flight of the video is with the TV off, to re-trim after adding the nozzles and to get reacquainted with the sticks. Second flight on the video is with the TV's on. After seeing him fly with this, IMO, the TV's are a must if you have this bird. I plan on setting mine up exactly as he did and using the same upgrades/modifications, assuming it ever get's back in stock. As you can tell from the video's he posted, each subsequent flight got significantly better. The TV's turned a severely challenged pilot into a potential "rock star".

Also uploaded another of his Gripen flights the same day: https://youtu.be/viGPKJgbgIo

So here's the Mig:
      good morning
      #Hugh Wiedman , #RudyD54 , it would be absolutely great if you could share your settings and mod's with us.
      Thanks!

Comment

• [QUOTE=GarrisonR;n305575]I will say they did a good job with this model as far as wing removal goes. I leave my spar in the fuse, lower the gear and put the wings on with the plane on the gear at the bench or on the ground. The screws stay in the wings so you don't have to fumble around with them, with the plane on its wheels they hang perfectly ready to be screwed in. In all it take maybe 2 mins to set up, my A-10 take at least double the time I feel like.
        As far as fitment I remove the wings for my Toyota highlander, I could imagine a good amount of hanger rash trying to maneuver this large of a foam jet with this wings on in tighter spaces. Plus I like to fit more than one plane if I can.
        Good luck, hope that doesn't detour you from getting one, it's a great jet when setup properly.

Thanks that makes sense, even if it does fit in my car if it has metal screw insert it would be better to take the wings off not only for transporting but for storing the Mig 22 👍. That is that problem sorted now I have time to save up for it because I think I am right it going to be at leat May before she back in stock. Just in time for the lockdown to finish and summer to arrive😊
        ​​​

Comment

• Has the problem been solved with the up rated servo for the elevator been sorted or is still best to buy some Hi Tec 5085mg servo for the elevater
          I will not be flying the Mig with all those high G turns. Just want to fly it around scale like so would the elevator servo that come with it now be OK

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
            Finally got around to uploading RudyD54 's first flights of his Mig 29 after installing the TV nozzles. It was a bit windy 12-18 mph and gusty so the first flight of the video is with the TV off, to re-trim after adding the nozzles and to get reacquainted with the sticks. Second flight on the video is with the TV's on. After seeing him fly with this, IMO, the TV's are a must if you have this bird. I plan on setting mine up exactly as he did and using the same upgrades/modifications, assuming it ever get's back in stock. As you can tell from the video's he posted, each subsequent flight got significantly better. The TV's turned a severely challenged pilot into a potential "rock star".

Also uploaded another of his Gripen flights the same day: https://youtu.be/viGPKJgbgIo

So here's the Mig:
            Loved his vectored mig flights - really well done!
            Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• You realize the video in the linked post was not TV, correct? Yes the MiG flights were...

Originally posted by janmb View Post

Loved his vectored mig flights - really well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                You realize the video in the linked post was not TV, correct? Yes the MiG flights were...

The first half of the MiG video was my trimming flight without the TV enabled and the second half of the video is where I enabled them for the first time. I had posted some videos previously that showed subsequent flights with them enabled full time which I think is what Jan is referring to.

No TV on the Gripen yet as I’m struggling to get it to fly the way I like and I have been waiting on motion to get them back in stock. (Probably should have just ordered from RC Castle a few weeks ago)

Comment

• Understood.

Comment

• Has there been any problems with elevator servos with the new up upgraded servos that MRC now put in the Mig 29. Do not want to risk this £600 model. I brought a second hand Mig 29, it has the MRC upgraded servos installed just want to know if they are up to the job and the problem has been sorted

Comment

• I haven't seen anyone post that they crashed and that the reason was specifically a lack of elevator authority due to the replacement FW servos. But to be honest I don't know if it has been 100% determined for sure the original servos caused the crashes either. That said using the more powerful servos can't really hurt.

Comment

• Thanks Evan D. I have not seen any more problem on this forum so it looks like MRC might have sorted it. Do not want to fork out a load more cash on 2 servos plus I have been told I would need to reverse one of the new servos. That would mean an extra £100."or more to buy a gadget to reverse one servo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyingpit View Post

good morning
                          #Hugh Wiedman , #RudyD54 , it would be absolutely great if you could share your settings and mod's with us.
                          Thanks!
                          Sure,

I've got a Spektrum IX20 and picked One Aileron One Flap as wing type and Dual Elevator One Rudder as the tail type.
                          I'm running a Spektrum AR8360T receiver with a Spektrum 4651T remote satellite receiver in the nose (connected with a SPM9104 36" receiver extension cable) and an RCLightsystems serial channel expander to increase my channel count to 11 which I'm using as follows:

Port 1: Serial expander is plugged in here as this is an SRXL2 port.
                          Port 2: Channel 2 - Ailerons
                          Port 3: Channel 3 - R Elevator
                          Port 4: Channel 4 - Rudder with Y cable to steering servo.
                          Port 5: Channel 5 - Gear
                          Port 6: Channel 6 - Flaps
                          Port 7: Channel 7 - L Elevator
                          Port 8: Channel 8 - Mixed to Rudder and connected to Hobby Eagle A3-L Rudder Input

Serial Expander:
                          Port 1: Channel 1 - Throttle (Connected with a Y cable to the RC Geek Centerburner controller)
                          Port 2: Channel 9 - Mixed to Elevator and connected to Hobby Eagle A3-L V2 Elevator input
                          Port 3: Channel 10 - Mixed to Aileron and connected to HobbyEagle A3-L V2 Aileron Input
                          Port 4: Channel 11 - Remote Master Gain for Hobby Eagle A3-L V2 Gyro controlled by left slider

All mixes going to the Hobby Eagle gyro are enabled/disabled by my E2 switch.

My gains for the flight surfaces on the AR8360T are currently set to 40/50/30 for Roll/Pitch/Yaw

I setup the hobby eagle gyro to use the delta wing type so it does the mixing for the tail nozzles. This allows me to set independent gains for them. I've got the gain knob on the gyro at 100% and use the left slider on my radio to select the actual gain percent within that. For the earlier videos that I posted I was running the gains between 50% and 75%. I'm still going to experiment with that further as I get more time with the VT prior to setting it to a fixed percentage, but it felt really good there.

Both the receiver and the hobby eagle gyro live under the rear tray, with the antennas for the receiver pointing one towards each wing into the openings where the landing gear wires run, and then the remote receiver in the nose has one antenna pointing straight up taped to the interior fuselage and another one taped pointing straight forward, also taped down.

As far as hardware upgrades, I've replaced the BEC with a Castle Creations 20A BEC Pro, and I have one of the power leads into the blue box, and the secondary lead into the Prog/Bind port on the receiver to distribute the power.

I installed RC Geek dual centerburners and run them off a small 2s 300mah Venom Lipo which I attached with velcro next to the blue box.

My tail servos have been upgraded to Promodeler DS150CLHV and I upgraded the servo wires leading using 36" Spektrum Heavy Duty extensions SPMA3006

I've replaced my elevator linkages with Hangar 9 HAN3556 Titanium Pro-Links 4-40 x 4-1/2"
                          I'm using Dubro Safety Kwik-Link 4-40 DUB817 on the servo arm side and Dubro Heavy Duty 4-40 Ball links DUB899 on the elevator horn side.

For batteries I'm currently using Liperior 6s 5000mah 45c packs, one in the rear bay and one in the front bay, both as far back as they go.

The CG is currently ~10-15mm behind the marks on the wings.

For throws, I've set the max throws as listed in the manual as my 100% and then have triple rates setup.

Ailerons: 100% with 25% expo, 85% with 20% expo, 70% with 15% expo
                          Elevator: 100% with 20% expo, 80% with 15% expo, 70% with 10% expo
                          Rudder: 100% with 30% expo, 80% with 25% expo, 70% with 20% expo

I'm pretty sure that's my whole setup. If I missed anything or you have any questions, feel free to ask

Comment

• I'm assuming you have three channels going to the TV servos and a mix. But I don't see that the way you wrote it.

Comment

• Thanks Evan D I have reply to you (I hope it went).

Comment

• Good luck however you decide to go.

Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                                Thanks Evan D I have reply to you (I hope it went).

Comment

I'm assuming you have three channels going to the TV servos and a mix. But I don't see that the way you wrote it.
                                  Yes, I have three channels used for the TV. As I wanted the hobby eagle gyro to handle the roll, pitch, and yaw mixing for the nozzles, I needed to output an elevator, aileron, and rudder signal from my receiver into it. I used Aux 2, Aux 3, and Aux 5 mixed to my elevator, rudder, and aileron in that order. These mixes are then output via channels 8, 9, and 10. The gyro is set to delta wing mixing. Let me know if that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post

Sure,

I've got a Spektrum IX20 and picked One Aileron One Flap as wing type and Dual Elevator One Rudder as the tail type.
                                    I'm running a Spektrum AR8360T receiver with a Spektrum 4651T remote satellite receiver in the nose (connected with a SPM9104 36" receiver extension cable) and an RCLightsystems serial channel expander to increase my channel count to 11 which I'm using as follows:

Port 1: Serial expander is plugged in here as this is an SRXL2 port.
                                    Port 2: Channel 2 - Ailerons
                                    Port 3: Channel 3 - R Elevator
                                    Port 4: Channel 4 - Rudder with Y cable to steering servo.
                                    Port 5: Channel 5 - Gear
                                    Port 6: Channel 6 - Flaps
                                    Port 7: Channel 7 - L Elevator
                                    Port 8: Channel 8 - Mixed to Rudder and connected to Hobby Eagle A3-L Rudder Input

Serial Expander:
                                    Port 1: Channel 1 - Throttle (Connected with a Y cable to the RC Geek Centerburner controller)
                                    Port 2: Channel 9 - Mixed to Elevator and connected to Hobby Eagle A3-L V2 Elevator input
                                    Port 3: Channel 10 - Mixed to Aileron and connected to HobbyEagle A3-L V2 Aileron Input
                                    Port 4: Channel 11 - Remote Master Gain for Hobby Eagle A3-L V2 Gyro controlled by left slider

All mixes going to the Hobby Eagle gyro are enabled/disabled by my E2 switch.

My gains for the flight surfaces on the AR8360T are currently set to 40/50/30 for Roll/Pitch/Yaw

I setup the hobby eagle gyro to use the delta wing type so it does the mixing for the tail nozzles. This allows me to set independent gains for them. I've got the gain knob on the gyro at 100% and use the left slider on my radio to select the actual gain percent within that. For the earlier videos that I posted I was running the gains between 50% and 75%. I'm still going to experiment with that further as I get more time with the VT prior to setting it to a fixed percentage, but it felt really good there.

Both the receiver and the hobby eagle gyro live under the rear tray, with the antennas for the receiver pointing one towards each wing into the openings where the landing gear wires run, and then the remote receiver in the nose has one antenna pointing straight up taped to the interior fuselage and another one taped pointing straight forward, also taped down.

As far as hardware upgrades, I've replaced the BEC with a Castle Creations 20A BEC Pro, and I have one of the power leads into the blue box, and the secondary lead into the Prog/Bind port on the receiver to distribute the power.

I installed RC Geek dual centerburners and run them off a small 2s 300mah Venom Lipo which I attached with velcro next to the blue box.

My tail servos have been upgraded to Promodeler DS150CLHV and I upgraded the servo wires leading using 36" Spektrum Heavy Duty extensions SPMA3006

I've replaced my elevator linkages with Hangar 9 HAN3556 Titanium Pro-Links 4-40 x 4-1/2"
                                    I'm using Dubro Safety Kwik-Link 4-40 DUB817 on the servo arm side and Dubro Heavy Duty 4-40 Ball links DUB899 on the elevator horn side.

For batteries I'm currently using Liperior 6s 5000mah 45c packs, one in the rear bay and one in the front bay, both as far back as they go.

The CG is currently ~10-15mm behind the marks on the wings.

For throws, I've set the max throws as listed in the manual as my 100% and then have triple rates setup.

Ailerons: 100% with 25% expo, 85% with 20% expo, 70% with 15% expo
                                    Elevator: 100% with 20% expo, 80% with 15% expo, 70% with 10% expo
                                    Rudder: 100% with 30% expo, 80% with 25% expo, 70% with 20% expo

I'm pretty sure that's my whole setup. If I missed anything or you have any questions, feel free to ask

Hee #RudyD54 , big Thanks for the Answer. i use a Frsky X10 with RX8R. The Gyro its a Aura8 with 8 Channel. U give me a lot of information, i wil sort out them now. Thanks.!!

klaus

Comment

• Yes, makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post

Yes, I have three channels used for the TV. As I wanted the hobby eagle gyro to handle the roll, pitch, and yaw mixing for the nozzles, I needed to output an elevator, aileron, and rudder signal from my receiver into it. I used Aux 2, Aux 3, and Aux 5 mixed to my elevator, rudder, and aileron in that order. These mixes are then output via channels 8, 9, and 10. The gyro is set to delta wing mixing. Let me know if that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post
                                        I will say they did a good job with this model as far as wing removal goes. I leave my spar in the fuse, lower the gear and put the wings on with the plane on the gear at the bench or on the ground. The screws stay in the wings so you don't have to fumble around with them, with the plane on its wheels they hang perfectly ready to be screwed in. In all it take maybe 2 mins to set up, my A-10 take at least double the time I feel like.
                                        As far as fitment I remove the wings for my Toyota highlander, I could imagine a good amount of hanger rash trying to maneuver this large of a foam jet with this wings on in tighter spaces. Plus I like to fit more than one plane if I can.
                                        Good luck, hope that doesn't detour you from getting one, it's a great jet when setup properly.
                                        Yeah the wing solution is really nice. Also love that they have stayed away from the classic mistake of making a rigid connector on both ends. Wing flex into electric connections is not a good thing, so at least one side should be flexible - like here.

The only thing I could want different would be some more durable screw types, e.g hex and not philips.

Comment

You realize the video in the linked post was not TV, correct? Yes the MiG flights were...
                                          Sometimes... just some times.... when people write something... there is a reason why they write exactly what they do.

Comment

Working...
                                          X