Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Twin 80mm Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checked with Derek in Customer Service and he said that the MiG-29 delivery has been pushed another month or two. I wonder what is going on with it? Couldn’t be the shipping hassles because many other Freewing planes have been re-stocked. Anyone hear anything else on possible causes of the delay?

Comment

• As we've been saying it's not a stocking issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
        Checked with Derek in Customer Service and he said that the MiG-29 delivery has been pushed another month or two. I wonder what is going on with it? Couldn’t be the shipping hassles because many other Freewing planes have been re-stocked. Anyone hear anything else on possible causes of the delay?
        I would say to just wait patiently and hope for a better product. I pre-ordered the Mig-29 last fall. Turned out to be one of the more expensive decisions I've made.

Comment

• Heard someone say late april, early may.
          This may have been before you checked with Derek.

Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

Love the SLO-Mo AirGuardian! You’ve gotten very comfortable with this jet...nice going!
          Thanks!
          It gives the jet that slightly-scalier look :p
          It's not sped down a lot though, the jet already looks pretty scale at normal pace :)

Comment

• I do not want to get in with a slanging match again about this Mig 29 but I was told by a reliable source that the Mig 29 has been withdrawn from sale due to the elevator problem. It has been "Out Of Stock" now since October so make your own mind up why it has been Out Of Stock for so long

Comment

• Exactly what I was told too.

Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
              I do not want to get in with a slanging match again about this Mig 29 but I was told by a reliable source that the Mig 29 has been withdrawn from sale due to the elevator problem. It has been "Out Of Stock" now since October so make your own mind up why it has been Out Of Stock for so long

Comment

• So here is a question about aerodynamics as it relates to adding TV to the Mig. I am adding the TV to the Mig right now. I have flown it perhaps 25 times with out TV. It flies great with all the mods done to it that you guys have come up with since it came out. My question is this: after the addition of TV does it take less effort for the plane to climb with the TV helping the elevators in this regard? Is there less drag on the control surfaces because the TV is using directed air that would normally be blown straight out the tailpipe? Life is great here in South Dakota but not knowing the answer to this is wrecking my day.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan McKeag View Post
                  So here is a question about aerodynamics as it relates to adding TV to the Mig. I am adding the TV to the Mig right now. I have flown it perhaps 25 times with out TV. It flies great with all the mods done to it that you guys have come up with since it came out. My question is this: after the addition of TV does it take less effort for the plane to climb with the TV helping the elevators in this regard? Is there less drag on the control surfaces because the TV is using directed air that would normally be blown straight out the tailpipe? Life is great here in South Dakota but not knowing the answer to this is wrecking my day.

Dan
                  The TV nozzles should not significantly change the drag on the elevators. We've surmised that it's the flaps that might. They are two separate systems. Air coming out the tailpipe isn't going affect air going over the elevators. You can easily use Pythagoras theorem to approximate what kind of down or up force the nozzles can apply to the back end of the plane. Of course, this force is dependent upon how much throttle is being used.
                  IE. If you have xxxx grams of thrust going out the nozzles and those nozzles are directing exhaust at an angle of 35 to 45 degrees UP, xxxx grams is the hypotenuse. Now you can calculate what the downward force is on the tail in yyyy grams (the vertical side of the right angle triangle). If you also have airspeed, then you will also have air deflection from the elevators.

Comment

• Yes... but no.

By adding some pitching force themselves, you effectively need less deflection from the stabs to achieve a similar result so for an equal 'turn rate' let's say, the load on the elevators would be lower with TV on.

Anyway, another video... same flights but no slow-motion for those that prefer no music, raw clips:

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                      Yes... but no.

By adding some pitching force themselves, you effectively need less deflection from the stabs to achieve a similar result so for an equal 'turn rate' let's say, the load on the elevators would be lower with TV on.
                      That is NOT what he asked.

Comment

• You sure?

Originally posted by Dan McKeag View Post
                        Is there less drag on the control surfaces because the TV is using directed air that would normally be blown straight out the tailpipe?

Comment

• Yeah, I'm sure. I gave him the correct answer.

Comment

• Thank you for the insight. My next move will be to see what effect the TVs have on flight time.
                            Dan

Comment

• AG - Always enjoy the videos.

Any ideas?....anybody worked this issue...,Without putting in new main gear hardware, any suggestions about correcting the toe-out that has developed with wear and tear. Appears there is some slop where the rotator pin sits against the stop. Do you think I could bend the pin a little without snapping it?

Regardless....the slight toe-out acts like a bit of a brake! Just looks weird and increases tire wear.

The plastic gear mounting blocks are secure and aligned properly.

-GG

Comment

• You’ll loose 5-10%.

Originally posted by Dan McKeag View Post
                                Thank you for the insight. My next move will be to see what effect the TVs have on flight time.
                                Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                  AG - Always enjoy the videos.

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                  Regardless....the slight toe-out acts like a bit of a brake! Just looks weird and increases tire wear.
                                  I think they purposefully designed it like that... it's a bit annoying.
                                  Certainly must come in handy to brake faster in asphalt runways but makes the strain on the airframe and gear worse in rough runway conditions.

I don't really know how to correct it... maybe can modify the chamfer of the retract pin to rotate the whole 'sitting position' of the strut?
                                  I have not dismounted it ever yet so not sure.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Yeah, I'm sure. I gave him the correct answer.
                                  Cool, good for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                    AG - Always enjoy the videos.

Any ideas?....anybody worked this issue...,Without putting in new main gear hardware, any suggestions about correcting the toe-out that has developed with wear and tear. Appears there is some slop where the rotator pin sits against the stop. Do you think I could bend the pin a little without snapping it?

The plastic gear mounting blocks are secure and aligned properly.

-GG
                                    Hey GG. I spent some time investigating this. There is some toe out baked into the design of the gear but agree it gets worse over time.

Can't take credit for this but someone earlier in the thread removed the wheel axles and 'formed' them (put them in a vice and hammer them to offset the angle lol) to counter the toe. Note you'll probably need to play with the gear door pushrods after straightening the wheels to prevent fouling as the gear retract.

My contribution is that the unsupported foam in this part of the fuselage is sagging under the weight of the model. I don't have any photos but if you remove the wing and look at the side of the fuselage above the main gear, you will likely see some creases in the foam. With gear extended, apply some pressure and you will see how much the foam compresses and moves.

Because most of the movement is towards the outer edge of the fuse, rearward from the gear mount, the strut splays outwards, which exacerbates the toe out built into the design.

I fixed it by gluing some carbon rod in along that part of the fuse. It's awkward because the lug to secure the wing and the spar are in this area, perhaps one could glass the foam around here to make it more rigid.

I can get photos later if that doesn't make sense. But, remove the wing and start tugging on the gear and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

• Mshagg- Food for thought. Your description is easy to comprehend. Sounds like it may be time to start digging in and getting my hands dirty when a stretch of no-fly days comes around.

New main gear hardware does not appear to be the solution.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                                        I do not want to get in with a slanging match again about this Mig 29 but I was told by a reliable source that the Mig 29 has been withdrawn from sale due to the elevator problem. It has been "Out Of Stock" now since October so make your own mind up why it has been Out Of Stock for so long
                                        I’m not sure they’d keep the MiG-29 posted on the site if it was being pulled. Spoke to Derek just last week about it. He just said that it has been pushed back for delivery a month or two. If I were to guess, I’d say they’re trying out a re-design before a re-release...if they do ever re-release it. Hopeful they do!

How reliable is your “reliable source”? From within the company? Just curious 🤨

Comment

• ​​
                                          Last edited by Captain Moron; Apr 21, 2021, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X