Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As an FYI, there was discussion about whether or not the new metal servo arms would fit the splines on the existing servos. And the answer is “Yes”. I removed the metal servo arm on the new 30mg servo and put the arm from the 17gm servo on it, and it fits perfectly. So for those who are thinking of ordering the kit “minus” the servos, when they become available— know that the new metal arms will fit your existing servo.

Comment

• Those who got the 2nd run of the MiG-29 may have already installed the new 30gm servo kit. But thought I’d post a vid of how I got mine done for those who were wondering. Had just a small challenge this time around. But it was a simple fix.
      When I changed out the first MiG-29 to the replaced 23gm servo there were no issues at all.

Comment

• Slowly making progress on the Mig 29 and 2nd Hornet build and repaint, just too many "Life Distractions". Probably shouldn't have undertaken 2 at once, but when I'm ready to paint both (Hornet is now ready) at least I'll have the garage set for painting and will only have to put it out of commission once.

Got the TV units installed along with lining the exhaust nozzles with the aluminum foil for the AB's. I didn't particularly like the way James ran his wires outside on his installation video, so I followed some advice from RudyD54 and put the wires inside the exhaust nozzles, but cut a groove to imbed the wires and then pulled those and the AB wire through the channel under the ESC platform where the rudder wires go. Since I was installing the aluminum foil tape anyway, they covered up nicely without interfering with any fan exhaust. More later, but looks like much later!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_164632.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	313915Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_171733.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	313916Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_171812.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	313917
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Flew some basic aerobatics from the cockpit the other day and some formation as well. Miggy is a pretty stable platform for filming...

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
          Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

• Well done!

Reached 100 flights today, yay!

Comment

• Some more unvectored MiG flying :)

Comment

• Glad you got her back in the air! Worth noting: high alpha lock took a bit of forcing to get her outa that.

Definite proof of needing to be a few mistakes high to get the MiG out of high alpha lock.

-GG

Comment

• These flights were pre-crash though. But yeah, she's already at 103 flights (Crash was at 94) (:

With CG at 15mm behind wing marks it usually comes out on its own when cutting throttle but here I was running more aft CG and yep, that wasn't enough (I suspect the severe wing rocking may have not helped either), so I added short throttle bursts to break out of the cycle. Of course, can't keep throttle open or the jet will keep stuck there due to the thrustline condition.

Comment

• What is known when the model will be in stock in Europe ?? It takes a long time, the price increased and in Europe the model was not for sale: /

Comment

• They mentioned that it would be at least 2 months, because by the time the US container arrived, the EU one hadn't shipped yet.

July I guess.

Comment

• Think we have been forgotten by MRC here in Europe with regards the Mig 29. What with the price increase the £12 handling charge by FedEx. It is becoming a pain to order from Europe now. I have just order the Eflite 80mm F16. Mind you I have not received it yet, it is due out here in the UK on the 14 June . Quite expecting that date to come and go with no F16 arriving. That is the norm now

Comment

• find it very interesting that after adding reflex to my flaps, I had to re-trim stabilator (less up) for level flight. But dropping flaps does not induce pitch change for both half & full flaps. I don’t overspeed my flaps though, only dropping them after speed stabilizes at 50% throttle or lower. I suppose the flap induced downwash increase the negative angle of attack on stabilator to offset the down pitching moment from the flaps. Or is there another explanation?

Yes there is......at certain velocities harmonic oscillation of the trailing edge upward vortices from the flaps meet the split airstream of the leading edge of the stabilizer causes a high speed airflow over the top surface ... this decreases pressure and acts like a suction on the top surface of the tail plane, resulting in some instances a nose down attitude change. However, this is largely dependant on the centre of lift. In this instance, flap deployment, the C o L acts as the fulcrum , or more correctly, the moment arm, of the resultant change of pitch. In some cases C of L can be lost altogether and the plane just drops out of the sky.

Comment

• Normal flaps don’t change pitch but if you program full span flaps it does…

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              Normal flaps don’t change pitch but if you program full span flaps it does…
                              Specific to the Mig 29 ?? In my F4 it sure does!!

By the way, Friday night is Cab Sauv night!!

Comment

• Yes the MiG…

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                                  I suppose the flap induced downwash increase the negative angle of attack on stabilator to offset the down pitching moment from the flaps.
                                  Hi Loch!
                                  That's correct :)

Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                                  Yes there is......at certain velocities harmonic oscillation of the trailing edge upward vortices from the flaps meet the split airstream of the leading edge of the stabilizer causes a high speed airflow over the top surface ... this decreases pressure and acts like a suction on the top surface of the tail plane, resulting in some instances a nose down attitude change
                                  Hmmm... not quite.
                                  In any case, extending the flaps will cause the stabs to produce more negative (pitch-up) lift.
                                  If the nose pitches down when extending flaps, it is not because the stabs are being 'sucked up' but because the pitching moment contribution of the flaps is greater than that of the stabs for that particular condition.

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Normal flaps don’t change pitch but if you program full span flaps it does…
                                  Depends on your settings and equilibrium speed.
                                  On my MiG-29 I definitely have different trims for normal, flaps half and flaps-full settings.

Comment

• Stall tests w/o thrust-vectoring - no "alpha lock", throttle-off recovery:
                                    "I finally reached a level of confidence with the MiG to begin some of the dreaded stall testing. It has been widely reported that deep stalls result in some difficult recovery issues. It has been reported the model is slow to nose over to once in the stall, depending on the placement of the Center of Gravity (C/G).

Fortunately in my case, I believe the C/G location on my model allows for straight forward stall recovery. I entered the stall then added full power while holding full up elevator in an attempt to get the model into a near vertical attitude as the airspeed diminished. On two occasions I managed to flip the model over before initiating normal recovery."

Comment

• "Hmmm... not quite.
                                      In any case, extending the flaps will cause the stabs to produce more negative (pitch-up) lift.
                                      If the nose pitches down when extending flaps, it is not because the stabs are being 'sucked up' but because the pitching moment contribution of the flaps is greater than that of the stabs for that particular condition."

Don't spoil it I thought it sounded credible for a wino !

Just visiting at the moment, I'm waiting on my '29 coming from China!! Tried not to buy one but couldn't resist !!

Comment

• I thought I heard a statement once along those lines, 'the dark ideas of midnight have to stand up to the scrutiny of the morning sun'

Comment

• Finishing up on the cockpit. Next comes masking and heading to the "paint barn".

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_164518.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	314446Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_172156.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	314447Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_171612.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	314448
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X