X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Several of the recent crashes have been stated by the pilots as “my error”….typically related to putting the flaps down at higher speed or getting into a high alpha lock.

Instead of focusing on the crashes, note that the majority of the owners who have made the suggested / important upgrades, CG changes, best practices for electronics installation, and consciously avoid the known problematic flight profiles (and have learned the recovery methods just in case) are having a blast flying this bird.

Not to overly influence your decision, if you decide to not fly it you will be missing out on flying an awesome and fun EDF.

Several have 100+ fun flights. Some have flown over 10X that number without incident. Thus, there are NOT (as this demonstrates) many unanswered questions remaining.

If I were to screw up and crash mine, I would order another ASAP.

-GG
    GREAT post!

I've had 3 'near-death experiences' with this plane. Maiden flight was super tail-heavy, stalled on landing and fell in, ass-end first, straight down. Luckily, they were a few days delayed in mowing the weeds due to rain, so the 5' tall weeds caught it and left me only with grass-stains. Got into the alpha-lock and watched it very slowly descent, nose-high, no matter what inputs I gave, into other brush. No damage other than bent ordnance. Third one was brand new K-55 blew up and she dead-sticked in. Somehow landed on her feet and again, no damage whatsoever.

I absolutely LOVE this plane and have another NIB!

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post

When I come across this, I do a little trick with fuel tubing and white lithium grease.

Take the strut apart, get rid of the spring, and clean out all the old grease. Find the biggest size tubing that just fits in the strut. Cut the length a bit longer so there is a touch of compression when the strut is extended. Lube it all up with the white lithium grease and put it back together. White lithium is safe for rubber and plastic. Now try the action. You can vary the size/length of the tubing to get just what you want. You'll find that the strut now compresses easily at first but comes to a firm, cushiony stop with very little to no rebound. Take the load off and it readily extends every time. Just like a real airplane shock should!

There aren't too many planes that I don't add this mod to anymore.
      Hi,

Are you talking silicone fuel tubing?

Comment

• Question/opinions….thanks in advance:

After many, many flights, one aileron, one flap, and one rudder servo have begun to chatter ever so slightly. The chatter can be stopped with a slight movement of the controls.

I assume this is due to play that has developed in the gear train. Does this indicate that it is time to replace these or wait until it gets worse? I have spares on hand.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaun Evans View Post

Hi,

Are you talking silicone fuel tubing?
          Yes. The kind the nitro guys use. Blue silicone.
          Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

Question/opinions….thanks in advance:

After many, many flights, one aileron, one flap, and one rudder servo have begun to chatter ever so slightly. The chatter can be stopped with a slight movement of the controls.

I assume this is due to play that has developed in the gear train. Does this indicate that it is time to replace these or wait until it gets worse? I have spares on hand.

-GG
            Servos are cheap compared to a total loss. Just saying. You never know when something like that gives up the ghost for good. And, you'd hate it if you passed up the signs.
            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• One of my ailerons does it. I've had other servos on other planes do it. I just keep flying... I may be wrong in doing so and due for a issue but, hey, living on the edge... :)

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
              Question/opinions….thanks in advance:

-GG

Comment

• Got in another 3 great flights this morning. Almost 100 flights now and still getting comfortable with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post

Servos are cheap compared to a total loss. Just saying. You never know when something like that gives up the ghost for good. And, you'd hate it if you passed up the signs.
                  Amen to that. What's a new (better) servo cost?

Comment

• I have Corona's in mine from Hobby King. Jandro recommended, Evan approved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                      I have Corona's in mine
                      The virus, the beer, or the servo? OK but seriously, I see a couple that might apply: DS329HV, CS238MG. Are you using one of those? Both are over >4kg/cm of torque, seems pretty good.

Comment

• 238’s

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          One of my ailerons does it. I've had other servos on other planes do it. I just keep flying... I may be wrong in doing so and due for a issue but, hey, living on the edge... :)
                          Thought I'd see what MRC support had to say. MRC support's position was basically, as long as the servo doesn't develop a mind of its own...fly it. However, when I told him that I already had replacement servos in hand, he said, 'Change them out....for peace of mind."

I also did quite a bit of Google searching on the topic...no solid advice position either way when you tally up the pro/con answers.

So, I have an answer, and I don't have an answer. I shall change them out for peace of mind.

-GG

Comment

• Sounds like a good decision. As far as I'm concerned as long as the servo has holding power I'm going to let it ride.

Comment

Thought I'd see what MRC support had to say. MRC support's position was basically, as long as the servo doesn't develop a mind of its own...fly it. However, when I told him that I already had replacement servos in hand, he said, 'Change them out....for peace of mind."

I also did quite a bit of Google searching on the topic...no solid advice position either way when you tally up the pro/con answers.

So, I have an answer, and I don't have an answer. I shall change them out for peace of mind.

-GG
                              Update: The MiG's design makes changing servos an easy process. They are not glued in...but held in with the plastic servo covers. This must work OK because a lot of flying has been done, and nobody has reported a servo falling out. If you've glued on the ordinance as I did, you'll have to cut a portion of the mount loose that is over the servo and re-glue it once you are finished. It's under the wing, so nobody's going to see the cut anyway.

I did not pull new wires, but made in-place solder connections after cutting the old servo loose. I trust my soldering skills.

Lesson learned: Do not bundle all the newly soldered wires together with heat shrink tubing because some of the spaces that you will be stuffing wires into are rather tight. Heat shrink each wire and leave them separated. Don't join them together in a larger bundle.

-GG

Comment

• If I'm flying alone, out in the desert and a potential risk to nobody but myself, I am a bit more loosey-goosey on stuff like servo anomalies or other 'issues' with equipment. However, when I'm flying at a club with visitors, other members, my own kids, etc.... I owe it to all concerned to make sure that if anything did happen to go wrong, I can say that I at least did my diligence to minimize the chances. That goes especially these days with all the regulatory uncertainty and drones in the news all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                                  The virus, the beer, or the servo? OK but seriously, I see a couple that might apply: DS329HV, CS238MG. Are you using one of those? Both are over >4kg/cm of torque, seems pretty good.
                                  Whatever you drop, it better be DS (Digital) and MG (Metal Gear).

CS are analog, avoid those like the plague (Not just Corona's).

My positive experiences with Corona servos have been with DS-939MG (Whose only downside I see is that they are slow servos) and the DS-238MG that Evan pointed out (these are slightly faster but still not really fast). ;)

Comment

• Comment

• Jump to 2:22 and 4:44 for the flap-stab issue showing in full glory.

Comment

• But the plane recovered and flew level. At full throttle, before and after. No irrecoverable dive. Is it a big issue for an infrequent scenario? With the stronger servos, the pilot will soon enough notice that speed is sluggish for the throttle setting, as well as the elevator compensation, and correct the situation. If your nose pitches down and you don't do anything, then it's a pilot issue.

Comment

• I'm unsubscribing from this and the thread in RCG. Nothing but the same ol same ol...

Comment

Working...
                                          X