Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, those are about the same size as my 5200. I see them on Ali but is there another place to get them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	lipo.png
Views:	398
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	352586

Comment

• I get the Coddar from RC Castle. You choose USA or Canada and shipping is free. However, I don't think it's actually free. The price would indicate that shipping is built in. It just makes one "feel" a bit better when we see "free shipping".
      I'm still in a quandary as to how they pack that many mah into something so light. The flight times seem to indicate the mah is there.

Comment

• Awesome, thanks! Looks like they have only a few of the packs Coddar makes. There's a matching 2S to make 8S that Raymond doesn't carry and I have 6s 1800 packs I use for my quads and regular 5200 2s 60C (I have eight of them) that he's not carrying, yet.

Comment

• I've done that myself with HRBs ...................... one 6s and one 2s. Lately I"ve gone with two 4s bats when buying new bats.

Comment

• I don't have any use for 4S 5000 size. My go to 5000 class batteries are the Power Hobby 5200 50C and 5000 100C. Power hobby doesn't make a 2S and the older Hobby Star 5200 2S I have a bunch of are old so I use the Coddar 5200 2s for 8S.

I like the Coddar I have and RC Castle is great to deal with.

Comment

• Flew the Mig this morning with the new FMS Pro fans. These fans have a significant increase in take off grunt and in cases where you suddenly increase the throttle for some "get up and go", such as getting out of high alpha. Compared to the stock fans, which required a longer blast of throttle (with vector nozzles), the new fans could get out of high alpha in seconds. This was with my previous CHL 5000's.
              Next flight was with the Coddar 6000's HV batteries. I would have to say that these batteries gave the most significant boost in grunt, an even bigger jump in performance than the Pro fans. This plane gets off the ground even shorter than with the Pro fans and CHL bats, which was already shorter than the stock fans and CHL bats.
              Comparing CHL 5000's and Coddar 6000's, the flight times were as follows. I set my timer for 3:30min and land just as the timer goes off. The CHL 5000's measured 20% remaining, fairly warm to the touch. The Coddar measured 40% remaining, "warmish". I flew similar styles for both flights - rolls, one full throttle loop and a couple of full throttle passes, one high alpha pass. I still can't explain this but I'm very happy (and surprised) by the results. I think I will replace my batteries as needed with Coddar HV for my EDFs. For my prop planes, I'll continue to use the regular LiPos. Next up ................ Trying the Coddar 6000's in the Eflite SU30 - another big, heavy plane that could use a bit more punch and a little longer flight time.
              If SMC is sourcing their next line of HV batteries from the same manufacturer as Coddar, I think they'll continue to have winners.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Flew the Mig this morning with the new FMS Pro fans. These fans have a significant increase in take off grunt and in cases where you suddenly increase the throttle for some "get up and go", such as getting out of high alpha. Compared to the stock fans, which required a longer blast of throttle (with vector nozzles), the new fans could get out of high alpha in seconds. This was with my previous CHL 5000's.
                Next flight was with the Coddar 6000's HV batteries. I would have to say that these batteries gave the most significant boost in grunt, an even bigger jump in performance than the Pro fans. This plane gets off the ground even shorter than with the Pro fans and CHL bats, which was already shorter than the stock fans and CHL bats.
                Comparing CHL 5000's and Coddar 6000's, the flight times were as follows. I set my timer for 3:30min and land just as the timer goes off. The CHL 5000's measured 20% remaining, fairly warm to the touch. The Coddar measured 40% remaining, "warmish". I flew similar styles for both flights - rolls, one full throttle loop and a couple of full throttle passes, one high alpha pass. I still can't explain this but I'm very happy (and surprised) by the results. I think I will replace my batteries as needed with Coddar HV for my EDFs. For my prop planes, I'll continue to use the regular LiPos. Next up ................ Trying the Coddar 6000's in the Eflite SU30 - another big, heavy plane that could use a bit more punch and a little longer flight time.
                If SMC is sourcing their next line of HV batteries from the same manufacturer as Coddar, I think they'll continue to have winners.
                Great report. Bottom line, do you think the upgrade to the FMS fans was worth it? I certainly did, but then I'm flying off of grass so the extra "get up and go" as you call it was certainly worth it and the increased response in high alpha was very nice. I rarely fly at full throttle so have no idea if it increased the overall speed, but not something I really care about. Just seems to be a bit more "peppy" if you know what I mean. And I personally really liked the sound of the 12 blade. The stock 9 blades are still a good fan and ended up in my A-10, which exhibited a huge increase in performance over the stock outrunners, so it was definitely a win-win for me.

Danny is supposed to be coming out with his line of SMC HV sometime in October, so we'll see then. In the meantime, looks like you got a winner in those Coddar HV's.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh, absolutely, those Pro fans are worth the money and effort. I do some really dumb things when I fly and I want all the grunt I can get to get out of trouble. Doubling up with those HV bats is a bonus. I will also fly this plane off grass. Till now, I've had to go 8s to get my jets off the grass field I also fly at, but those are 90mm. I'm afraid to go 8s on 80mm, especially twin 80's. With these upgrades, I won't have to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Great report. Bottom line, do you think the upgrade to the FMS fans was worth it? I certainly did, but then I'm flying off of grass so the extra "get up and go" as you call it was certainly worth it and the increased response in high alpha was very nice. I rarely fly at full throttle so have no idea if it increased the overall speed, but not something I really care about. Just seems to be a bit more "peppy" if you know what I mean. And I personally really liked the sound of the 12 blade. The stock 9 blades are still a good fan and ended up in my A-10, which exhibited a huge increase in performance over the stock outrunners, so it was definitely a win-win for me.

Danny is supposed to be coming out with his line of SMC HV sometime in October, so we'll see then. In the meantime, looks like you got a winner in those Coddar HV's.
                    Increased thrust is generally more noticeable in acceleration and climb than in top speed.

Comment

• kallend you are spot on as usual. Those 12 blades have outstanding acceleration and climb, but ultimately not much more in top speed. Perfect for Me!

My latest video on the Mig and first with the 12 blades. I'm really impressed with how quickly it gets off our grass runway now. And that's a huge deal for me since our runway has pretty much gone to hell in the last year. Before it was mowed twice a week to 1/2" and was smooth as silk. One year later (and several changes in lawn maintenance people) and it's mowed once a week, to maybe 1" and is mostly weeds and potholes. The upgraded fans couldn't have come at a better time. And I really like the sound of the 12 blade.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• My canopy keeps opening on landings due to the flex in the fuselage. No matter how soft the landings are. Any solution on stiffening the front part of the fuselage?

Comment

• Originally posted by JetFun View Post
                          My canopy keeps opening on landings due to the flex in the fuselage. No matter how soft the landings are. Any solution on stiffening the front part of the fuselage?
                          It's not the front part that is a concern - unless you've had a crash and damaged the plane there. It's the back part where it's latched. If the latch is not holding, then you need to investigate why it's not holding. Check to make sure the latch pin is going all the way into the hole of the canopy. You may need to reinforce the hole if it's gotten too big. Glue a small, thin piece of plastic over the hole (or just above the hole) and punch a new hole over the old hole. The simplest way is to install a small strip of clear Gorilla tape on the fuse next to the pin release and another on the rear of the canopy, then use another piece of tape over the seam to hold it from popping loose. The first layer is to prevent the paint from being pulled off every time you remove the holding tape.

Comment

• Also your batteries may be too tall and hitting the underside of the canopy not letting the canopy sit down onto the magnets...

Comment

• Nope, not the battery size nor the size of the hole. It is the flex of the fuselage. Canopy fits tightly.

Comment

• Then laying in some carbon fiber shafts may be in order.

Comment

• Originally posted by JetFun View Post
                                  Nope, not the battery size nor the size of the hole. It is the flex of the fuselage. Canopy fits tightly.
                                  That's an interesting, if not odd, observation. I've had some less than spectacular landings with mine and I've not noticed any flex and certainly my canopy has never popped off because of it.

Comment

• I agree, the front is not only glued on but reinforced with carbon rods and ply at the junction…

Comment

• Found it...

I had removed material from the rear inside of the canopy. That had allowed the fuselage to bend a bit. Added two flat carbon rods at the rear of the canopy. Now the canopy stays in place.

Then also moved the plastic plate and drilled a hole in it.

Comment

• No way i can read trough 5500 posts here, but is this model still worth the money?

Comment

• If you can handle or like the gracefulness of a pretty sluggish aeroplane (without thrust vectors) that needs two 6s batteries for about 3 minutes of motor time. With that nasty and costly habit of getting stuck in high alpha if you do some aerobatics.

You need a lot of batteries or the possibilty to charge at a high C-rate at the flying field.

Comment

Working...
                                          X