Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is the servo I went with. Added some rings of fuel tube over the white clip that retains the pushrod for good measure (there was a couple in the parts bag). Have some of the dubro arms coming as the hitec ones lack a little beef compared to the stock arm.

I might rummage through the spares box and see if I have any captive pushrod ends for the elevator horn, again for good measure over the snap on type.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      Book settings, half flaps taking off and all my landings so far with half flaps. I did a very very small up elevator mix. I also have tailerons, full span flaps, crow and rudder air brakes on mine.

Evan, I am jealous. I don’t have enough channels available to take advantage of all those individual servo assignments. Guess it’s time I upgrade to a 20-channel radio?🤣 Thanks, to you and others who have responded to my takeoff flap query.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	12E47086-AB6F-43A2-A97A-804264A108EC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	274909 Since the loss of an F-4 due to ball link failure, I went overkill on the MiG. The stock elevator pushrod is much improved. But, I built new ones using 4-40 threaded rod, and heavy duty DU-BRO race car ball link hardware with SAFETY LOCK KWIK-LINKS for the servo. Overkill for sure, but easy to do for piece of mind. DU-BRO also sells the threaded rods. I don’t ever want to see a bird going down like the F-4 did.

I use 1/2 flaps on take off, full flaps on landing, no EXPO, No elevator/flap mix, and 80% D/R on elevator and aileron and 70% elevator for LOW rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post
          I fly slower than most people will on final though.
          This is the way. ( :

Comment

• Hello all - so how does one know we are on the list to receive the upgraded servos? I did not see anything in my account showing an order has been placed...

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
              Hello all - so how does one know we are on the list to receive the upgraded servos? I did not see anything in my account showing an order has been placed...
              I believe you won't see when an order has been placed. You will only see when an order has been shipped and since the box of servos has not arrived at Motion, they can't ship them yet.

Comment

• If Motion shipped you a MiG29 they will ship you the servos. When the next batch comes in they will either have the new servos in the box or they will have been replaced in the plane (I have heard it both ways from the Motion reps).

Comment

• Correct.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  I believe you won't see when an order has been placed. You will only see when an order has been shipped and since the box of servos has not arrived at Motion, they can't ship them yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                    Click image for larger version Name:	12E47086-AB6F-43A2-A97A-804264A108EC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	274909 Since the loss of an F-4 due to ball link failure, I went overkill on the MiG. The stock elevator pushrod is much improved. But, I built new ones using 4-40 threaded rod, and heavy duty DU-BRO race car ball link hardware with SAFETY LOCK KWIK-LINKS for the servo. Overkill for sure, but easy to do for piece of mind. DU-BRO also sells the threaded rods. I don’t ever want to see a bird going down like the F-4 did.

I use 1/2 flaps on take off, full flaps on landing, no EXPO, No elevator/flap mix, and 80% D/R on elevator and aileron and 70% elevator for LOW rate.

Good call all around - except the no expo silliness lol

There is absolutely no reason not to beef up the linkages and use good ball links/clevises with locking mechanisms. It costs next to nothing compared to the value of the model, and provides a more precise, less sloppy, less prone to failure setup.

Sure, the stock setup looks fine, and probably is, but a ball link that actually locks is a nice reassurance. Especially considering there is some angle to work with, and a worn out ball link may eventually be pulled off if unlucky.
                    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Setting mine up last night, Im surprised its not stout enough, you can push the surface so hard without the servo stalling or linkage flexing, interesting its not enough. Look forward to upgrading and flying mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnVH View Post
                        Setting mine up last night, Im surprised its not stout enough, you can push the surface so hard without the servo stalling or linkage flexing, interesting its not enough. Look forward to upgrading and flying mine.
                        Well, as far as I know, we don't have any confirmed cases of migs going down due to weak servos without also being combined with user error (wrong linkage geometry) yet.

Also remember that the surface is huge, and not particularly aerodynamically balanced at all, so the forces it will see during flight are huge.
                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Well, as far as I know, we don't have any confirmed cases of migs going down due to weak servos without also being combined with user error (wrong linkage geometry) yet.

Also remember that the surface is huge, and not particularly aerodynamically balanced at all, so the forces it will see during flight are huge.
                          Yep, so is my F22 stabs, and plane, I wonder how much force is actually on them in flight, would be cool to know.

Comment

• My unboxing and build, and a gooniac afterburner install!

Comment

• Immediately following each of our maiden flights, Jeremy and I launched a live FB formation flight. The video is lower resolution from FB, but I uploaded it to YouTube for those not on FB.

The original CenterBurner line of simulated afterburner lighting systems is the world’s best and most trusted simulated afterburner lighting system! Designed around a custom built LED light boards, it provides a center "glow" and flame effect like a full size jet aircraft afterburner!

Comment

I wonder how much force is actually on them in flight, would be cool to know.
                                I am guessing around 1.9kg-cm max. The logic is this - it seems that when users put the servo in the wrong hole, it is very marginal and can bind up in a dive. Since it is marginal, we can say the servo torque is approximately equal to the force exerted by the control surface on the servo. Might fail, might not. And that is a 2.5kg-cm servo.

And when the elevator rod is in the wrong (outer) hole, it is about 30% farther out (although I don't yet have mine and can't measure with calipers...I'm just eyeballing an estimate from photos). But if we estimate it is 30% farther to the outer hole, then with the correct inner hole, the torque exerted by the tailplane on the servo should be around 1.9kg-cm. Hand-wavy argument, but it should be near that. So with the new servo, in the correct hole, you should be in fat city - approaching 2x the required torque. So then you can do stupid stuff like diving at full throttle (haha just kidding). Of course you can always find a way to put more torque on the control surface even with the rods set correctly...heaviest batteries, extra arm travel, diving vertically, full throttle, erratic movements. Planes are not generally designed to withstand intentional attempts to destroy them.

Comment

• I got my North Korean decals from Callie. I also found this head on CGTrader, so I'm going to replace the pilot's head with the Dear Leader himself, downloaded from this link:

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-pri...-laughing-head

Just finished printing him on a Form3:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_61519.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	274958

And if for some reason you are wondering what various celebrities would look like with that eraserhead-shemp haircut, wonder no more, there is a website dedicated to photoshopped pictures of this exact thing:

The leader of North Korea Kim Jon-Un is famous (among other things) for his unique hairstyle. Ever wonder what would happen if suddenly everyone was forced to adapt this awkward haircut? Well, wonder no more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                                    I got my North Korean decals from Callie. I also found this head on CGTrader, so I'm going to replace the pilot's head with the Dear Leader himself, downloaded from this link:

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-pri...-laughing-head

Just finished printing him on a Form3:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_61519.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	274958

And if for some reason you are wondering what various celebrities would look like with that eraserhead-shemp haircut, wonder no more, there is a website dedicated to photoshopped pictures of this exact thing:

https://www.sadanduseless.com/korean-hairstyle/
                                    Supreme leader will be pleased.

Comment

My unboxing and build, and a gooniac afterburner install!
                                      I ordered an afterburner for a Venom from Gooniac on Aug 5 and still don't have it. How long did it take to get yours for the Mig? I was gonna order 2 for mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        Ok, thanks, makes sense. Mine is from the first batch so I want to be extra careful and can wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post

I ordered an afterburner for a Venom from Gooniac on Aug 5 and still don't have it. How long did it take to get yours for the Mig? I was gonna order 2 for mine.
                                          Just going out today. Fires and crappy parts held me back... sorry for the wait but promise it will be worth it! Thanks for your patience!
                                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Working...
                                          X