Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very good info, thanks!

Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
    Today was maiden day for my MiG, video coming soon, did 3 flights in less than perfect conditions, cross wind @ 15mph.
    First thing to mention is the CG, I decided to go further back than recommended, about one finger width back from the marks. Checked the CG in the air with gear up and down, inverted flight required a fair amount of down elevator.
    Also did a stall test, full up elevator until almost zero forward speed, finally the nose just drop straight down, kept the elevator at full up and added some throttle and it kept flying. Loops can be tight, it almost loop at length of the fuselage.
    The MiG is set up with tailerons and ailerons and slow rolls looked great. Landing were a bit tough because of the cross wind but the MiG handled it like a champ.
    For the next flights I will be moving the CG further back.

Comment

• i just got my Shipping Notice after being told I would be in the October batch! Super stoked and cant wait!!!!😁

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrcdude View Post
        i just got my Shipping Notice after being told I would be in the October batch! Super stoked and cant wait!!!!😁
        Me too!!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1tbp2i.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	275286

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post

Me too!!

Name:	1tbp2i.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	275286
          That’s awesome. Ours should have the new servos installed I’d assume wouldn’t they?

Comment

• I believe they will just be in the box for you to install. That was what James said in the install video. Alpha had said that they may be installed for you or not but I think they decided not to. I think I would rather put them in myself than a warehouse worker or someone else... Then you get the two old servos for spares too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rc4me21976 View Post

That’s awesome. Ours should have the new servos installed I’d assume wouldn’t they?
              I'm not sure? If they were installed or just going to come with them in the same shipment...

Comment

• I also just got my Mig-29 shipping notice. Order was on 26 August. I should have it in hand early next week! I'm keenly watching and learning from everyone here.

Comment

• I thought the video said the servos are in the box with the jet, you have to install?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnVH View Post
                    Check out my Mig29 Maiden!

Your take off roll was like a "wandering minstrel" but yours is not the only one I've seen do that. High rates on rudder? No expo?

Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                    I've said it before, and I'll stick to it. These crashes have everything to do with being way too nose heavy and most having the linkage in the outer hole on the servo (not enough torque). And with the elevator servos being less than up for that task. These servos are over extended if not set up correctly. That's exactly why Motion/Freewing just put out new upgraded servos to all who bought/buy this plane.

The reason I'm sure these crashes were caused mostly by being nose heavy are two things. First, the 3 battery bays are a bit confusing. If you read the instructions, Freewing recommends to put the forward battery on the hump, not in the forward bay. If you're not reading, it would be very easy to miss, and that big forward bay looks pretty inviting. Second, all the crash vids show pretty much the same thing. The pilot has control - roll is there, but pitch is sluggish in up with nary any down used. Too much roll ends up with a substantial dive that, as speeds builds, cannot be pulled out of. The servos with incorrect linkage are over-tested.

Use the new replacement servos just shipped with correct linkage hook-up and I'm sure you'll be fine. If you still feel that they are inadequate, replace them with even better servos, as some have already done. I will go this route as well and then move the new replacement servos to the flaps. Beefing up the elevator linkage is something I always do on these foam jets. They are pushing the loads on the equipment and we/they must recognize these issues.
                    So, if a person were to get confused about the battery trays and didn't really read the recommendations about using the one on the hump, resulting in a plane that was very nose heavy ..................... Don't they actually test the balance before going up? And knowing that it didn't balance correctly, why do these people still fly the plane? (I know, gotta ask them.)

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      Your take off roll was like a "wandering minstrel" but yours is not the only one I've seen do that. High rates on rudder? No expo?
                      High rates, TOOOOO much expo! Second flight was flawless

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

The actual impact of these tiny tabs are next to nothing. It provides exactly zero practical difference in flight time.

Swapping genders is problematic since it would break compatibility with all previous attachments people would like to reuse

True, true, and true.

Another reason why we mount the male tabs on the wing on all our aircraft is because the male tab piece is a single narrow ~1mm blade with a shallow apron and is thereby much easier to install into the wing without compromising the foam. The female slot piece, by contrast, is significantly wider --the width of the pylon itself, as seen in your photo-- and would require much more foam removal if mounted on the wing side.
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• What the heck!!?? And a great surprise ............................. I just got notice that my Mig is about to be shipped. I ordered from the second batch that is due early October. I guess there were some cancellations?

Alpha .................. It's OK, you don't have to phone me. My feelings won't be hurt. You have enough stuff on your plate, like dealing with those who get their feathers ruffled when they think you're not going to call them. I'm on top of this whole servo and servo hole situation, plus a couple other things that will get this plane in the air safer.

Comment

• I can tell you based on the sample set at my field quite a few just toss a battery in with the thought that there is only one place to put it so the balance must be right.

Same people don't know how or to do a range check or to even set throws. And obviously there are those that think all pushrods go in the outer holes.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            So, if a person were to get confused about the battery trays and didn't really read the recommendations about using the one on the hump, resulting in a plane that was very nose heavy ..................... Don't they actually test the balance before going up? And knowing that it didn't balance correctly, why do these people still fly the plane? (I know, gotta ask them.)

Comment

• Man, I've been so busy designing decals and replacement fins for the missiles, I completely forgot that I still needed to install the RX, program the CenterBurner, calibrate the ESCs, tidy up the wiring, and set the CG and throws. And I plan to maiden tomorrow morning. Working on all that now. With a pair of RoaringTop 6S 5800 35C packs in it, I have one in the back and one overhanging the front of the top shelf by 1.25" and am sitting right on the CG marks with gear down.
                              Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                Man, I've been so busy designing decals and replacement fins for the missiles, I completely forgot that I still needed to install the RX, program the CenterBurner, calibrate the ESCs, tidy up the wiring, and set the CG and throws. And I plan to maiden tomorrow morning. Working on all that now. With a pair of RoaringTop 6S 5800 35C packs in it, I have one in the back and one overhanging the front of the top shelf by 1.25" and am sitting right on the CG marks with gear down.
                                That's exactly where my CG is on the marks gear down with TP Rampage 6s 5000 80c (802g) packs. It required a touch of down to maintain level flight inverted, for me that's perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  I can tell you based on the sample set at my field quite a few just toss a battery in with the thought that there is only one place to put it so the balance must be right.

Same people don't know how or to do a range check or to even set throws. And obviously there are those that think all pushrods go in the outer holes.

I find it astonishing but accept that it does happen. These are the same people who after they crash, can only say, "I don't know what happened. Must be cellphone interference."

Comment

• Originally posted by 1horse59 View Post
                                    I can only assume that when using the most outer hole, and given down elevator, the forward edge gets stuck to the side of the rudder wall

That would immediately cause the jet to enter a negative cobra.
                                    (I mean, that's not what we're seeing in the videos, for sure).

Comment

• For those wanting missile decals and 3D printed parts, I'm putting the finishing touches on everything this weekend. Unfortunately, I'm out of town all next week to attend an event in St. George, UT. When I get back, I'll post up details on pricing and ordering.

Here's a sneak peak at the decal set:

Name:	Mig-29 Missile Decals.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	275324
                                      Pat

Comment

• I ordered mine on Sept. 2nd and got a shipping notification today. Fedex is showing it to be delivered on Sunday. Cool, but we'll see. Perhaps these are from the missing containers in the first shipment????

Comment

• Here is my maiden flight, around 2:30 you can see how much the MiG pulls towards the canopy when inverted, 3:45 is the stall test. Wind was blowing pretty good. Enjoy!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X