Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Twin 80mm Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afterburners arrived today.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      Do you really not see how annoying it is to some of us?
      Maybe it isn't about you? 🙄 Learn to ignore posts that don't interest you - and accept that it might be interesting and/or relevant for others

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
        To each his own, but I successfully maidened with the following:
        - CG on the mark
        - No flap/elevator mix needed
        - Control movements set to the book
        - - adjust your rates to achieve these
        - Maidened on LOW rate
        - 3 mm vs 1 mm of elevator set (measured after the maiden trimming flight)
        - No EXPO (but I am used to flying the F-4)
        - - Suit yourself on this....maybe 20 to 30%

Don’t be concerned about this wing planform/flies like a dream. VERY honest bird.

On downwind, I reduce throttle 5 clicks starting from 1/2 throttle. On base...4 more. This leaves about 15% power. Over the fence and reduce to zero power....let her float down. Easy to land.

Read prior posts on getting into a FALLING LEAF stalled situation. Until we get this figured out....DON’T.

-GG
        Congrats!

If the falling leaf thing is really an issue we will quickly find out once I get mine 😂

Comment

• janmb - I’ve got about 100 flights, now. 99 have avoided the FALLING LEAF on purpose! When you experiment with it, are you planning to try various CG locations?

Keep her HIGH....Higher than you think you’ll ever need.

Thanks,
          GG

Comment

• That’s why i normally don’t respond to your posts. And it’s not whether it’s interesting it about the attitude...

Originally posted by janmb View Post

Maybe it isn't about you? 🙄 Learn to ignore posts that don't interest you - and accept that it might be interesting and/or relevant for others

Comment

• I have 1% of up for half and 2% for full regular flaps And for full span a bit more...

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              I am getting ready to maiden mine. How much if any flap-elevator mix is anyone using? I gather it needs up elevator with flaps?

Comment

• FWIW, I find yours and Justin's attitude to be much more toxic, and bad for the hobby at that in general.
                That may just be me though, but hey! ;)

A saying here comes to mind... 'Remember when you point at another that three other fingers in your hand will point back at you.'

I see a total lack of empathy or effort to try and understand what the other is trying to say. That's never good for communication.
                Anyway, back to the MiG!

PS: I have north of 700 flights with full-flying stab birds.
                But I don't pull that as an argument because it is irrelevant.
                Now feel free to keep attempting fallacies of authority. Now THAT's as toxic and annoying as it gets IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  That’s why i normally don’t respond to your posts. And it’s not whether it’s interesting it about the attitude...

Suit yourself

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                    janmb - I’ve got about 100 flights, now. 99 have avoided the FALLING LEAF on purpose! When you experiment with it, are you planning to try various CG locations?

Keep her HIGH....Higher than you think you’ll ever need.

Thanks,
                    GG
                    I will probably start a few mm aft of the marks, and fully expect the actual cg of being anywhere between 20 and 30 mm aft of the marks. Time will tell.

As for the falling leaf effect - if it happens it happens. I don't consider it an option to fly nose heavy to avoid it. Hopefully I will be able to get out of it it, or barring that, power into a fall that isn't too damaging. TV will make that problem obsolete anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                      FWIW, I find yours and Justin's attitude to be much more toxic, and bad for the hobby at that in general.

A saying here comes to mind... 'Remember when you point at another that three other fingers in your hand will point back at you.'

I see a total lack of empathy or effort to try and understand what the other is trying to say. That's never good for communication.
                      Anyway, back to the MiG!

Now feel free to keep attempting fallacies of authority. Now THAT's as toxic and annoying as it gets IMO.
                      Spot on.

Comment

• Yep, with TV there would be no danger in trying whatsoever. Testing it prior to getting the TV nozzles installed... well, the risk is considerably greater.

If the TV units don't arrive soon enough I'll likely end up testing it out myself, lol.

Comment

• Maiden and 2 more great flights today! No trim needed. Feels good in the air. Solid, but not heavy. Flew on 5100s and 5000s. Like the 5000s better. Only flew with ordinance on the maiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                            I am getting ready to maiden mine. How much if any flap-elevator mix is anyone using? I gather it needs up elevator with flaps?
                            To me it feels completely neutral with flaps deployed, flying at book CG, although i havent dropped them at speed (why would you lol). If you like your planes to sit a little proud on final go ahead and add some, but it's not needed for a maiden - she wont dive when you drop them like, say, the F-14.

Comment

• Argh. Struggling a bit with battery and rx/wire placement. I have Spektrum 5000 and HRB 6000 batteries. With both of these setup, I need to use the rear and middle battery location to CG. The issue with this is that the wiring mess is hard to control and the UBEC seems like it's way too close to what will be a hot battery in the middle spot. I guess I will place my rx in the front battery bay, but I'd like to see some pics of your setups (nothing crazy - just typical single rx with battery at rear and middle.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	6E40284A-9B48-484C-A22B-3D44C355A4EA.jpeg
Views:	755
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	276656Click image for larger version

Name:	D7FECEBA-F5D2-4777-AC31-D1B2FA6FD625.jpeg
Views:	776
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	276655 I'll add some pictures. These are my 640g 5200 and 760g 6200. The pic with a battery in the forward bay is balanced on the mark. The one in the middle is balanced a finger width behind.

Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
                                Argh. Struggling a bit with battery and rx/wire placement. I have Spektrum 5000 and HRB 6000 batteries. With both of these setup, I need to use the rear and middle battery location to CG. The issue with this is that the wiring mess is hard to control and the UBEC seems like it's way too close to what will be a hot battery in the middle spot. I guess I will place my rx in the front battery bay, but I'd like to see some pics of your setups (nothing crazy - just typical single rx with battery at rear and middle.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	7E911BC5-9CB1-4C39-A353-A73139763AF2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	276658​ Here are the different balance locations with 6200s. The lighter picture has them a little rearward for the slightly tail heavier balance.Click image for larger version

Name:	image_61189.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	276659

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
                                    Argh. Struggling a bit with battery and rx/wire placement. I have Spektrum 5000 and HRB 6000 batteries. With both of these setup, I need to use the rear and middle battery location to CG. The issue with this is that the wiring mess is hard to control and the UBEC seems like it's way too close to what will be a hot battery in the middle spot. I guess I will place my rx in the front battery bay, but I'd like to see some pics of your setups (nothing crazy - just typical single rx with battery at rear and middle.
                                    Hi e007 - I wanted to get the UBEC away from the middle battery due to a lack of room between the battery and the canopy/lid. If you have soldering talent and can make good connections, I didn't hesitate to cut the wires on the UBEC and soldered in an additional length of 2-conductor sufficiently long enough to allow the UBEC to fit nicely out of the way in the wing root. In my case, I tucked it away in the right root. My RX sits in the front bay all by itself. Nothing magical about these UBEC wires....just conducting dc supply current.

Using 2 Admiral Pro 6S 6000 situated in the rear and middle bays. I used several zip ties to keep things tidy. Balances spot on the CG mark which may be more nose heavier that some like. But...I am pleased with the way it flies, and it only requires the smallest of forward stick when flown inverted.

-GG

Comment

• Man that looks so tidy with the blue box hidden away. You just solder in an extension for the LED and use regular extensions for retract and steering?

Comment

• Fair enough but many of us come on here to discuss the title of the thread "Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Twin 80mm Thread" and our experiences with the aircraft. Not theory or physics or non-experiences with the model aircraft.

When you and Jan start talking about your experiences with the aircraft I'll stop to listen.

I guess one difference is why we post. A lot of information in this thread is "irrelevant", good of you to notice. Not sure why you add "fallacies of authority", but then I don't really care.

Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                        FWIW, I find yours and Justin's attitude to be much more toxic, and bad for the hobby at that in general.

Anyway, back to the MiG!

Comment

• Thanks, as I have noted I bypassed the MCBe and sub'ed extensions to run the ailerons and flaps to my receiver that is under the battery tray. The retract doors and WT lights go to the MCBe along with the retracts. I simply use a regular extension and remove the signal wire and trim the plug that plugs into the MCBe for the lights.

The tailerons, rudders, and steering also go direct to the receiver. I used shorter extensions for the tailerons and rudders since they didn't need all the length. I added a extension to the steering, nose retract and nose light. It's a lot neater but not as good as my F-18, A-4v or Avanti if you look in my pictures in RCG.

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                                          Man that looks so tidy with the blue box hidden away. You just solder in an extension for the LED and use regular extensions for retract and steering?

Comment

Working...
                                          X