Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Overview video showed a lot of details, but I couldn’t find any close-up shots of the cockpit section. Any chance to get those? Are there plastic parts for the coaming? Does it come with the usual foam seat that will look ugly after the first sunny day at the field?
    I’d like to start modelling 3DP parts for the cockpit section while waiting for the model. For this, it would be great if MRC could provide some measurements (cockpit tub, seat width and height, front panel decal).

Thanks
    Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Since the F-18 there was the AL37 and T-33 though? Those were pretty darn flawless releases I believe.
      Absolutely. To this date, the F-18 is the only FW release I know have had any systematic/conceptual problems what so ever. So definitely an exception that confirms the rule.

From what we can tell from the video, the MiG certainly has serious improvements on taileron support.
      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
        2. I also noticed in the manual, the neutral point for the elevator on this Mig29 quite a bit up. I remember the A-10 also needs some up elevator trim also (something I noticed in the manual AFTER my maiden flight)

In general, the need for up elevator trim goes more or less away with a good CG. Keep in mind that the suggested CG for this model is probably on the conservative side as tends to be the norm.

The A-10 is a bit special in that aspect with that extremely offset thrust line. On my turbine conversion, with 10 degree up angle on the thrust, the elevator was pretty darn neutral on that model too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          mick8488 Hi Mick, thanks for pre-ordering! The power systems are separate: 1 battery into one ESC which powers one EDF. The two power systems are not Y-harnessed together on the power line; only the two ESC's signal wires are harnessed together to provide matched throttle response. This is how all our twin 80mm EDF jets have been set up.

The UBEC is a separate circuit from the power system circuit. The UBEC taps power from one of the battery lines and delivers regulated 5V into the receiver/control bus, @ 8A max on 6s supply. Only one UBEC is needed. Suffice to say, all our aircraft, including other big twins like the Me-262, F-14, A-10, and AL37 Airliner, all use this same UBEC (not to mention many/most of our other Freewing jets in the larger categories).

Strictly speaking, there's nothing stopping you from adding a second UBEC if you wish, but you'd need a power box or similar device to receive the input from those redundant ESCs that would only feed to the receiver/control system the voltage it needs. Obviously 10V would fry the system, so you don't want to series these inputs. Turbine jets often use redundant power systems, but candidly I'd wager that only a fraction of a fraction of foam electric pilots go through that expense, regardless of the brand of foam electric aircraft they're flying from $20 to $1,000.
          Spot on.

Even on my $6000 turbine converted FW A-10 I still used a single, high quality UBEC - despite running a Jeti CB200 which could have supported dual power inputs.

The only consideration I have made for the larger foamies is to run a separate rx pack. Which I rarely have ended up bothering with, but especially if flying on dodgy, older 6S packs, and without main pack telemetry, running a separate rx pack adds a bit of safety. But redundant rx power is certainly not needed in this size class. Proper capacity UBEC is far more important (and the stock 8A has been plenty in most jets)

Comment

• The photo on post 63 gave me an idea.
            For those of us thinking of a single turbine between the air intakes, a single mock fuel tank could hide the offending non scale turbine, and also double as a thrust tube.
            if the fuel tank is large enough, the turbine intakes could be either side of the tank, through the existing duct work.

Comment

Hey Andrew, it's about 62" give or take from the nose cone off to the elevator tips. The nose cone with the antennae is 12"
              Thanks a ton, James!

Comment

• Love the MiG 29! Would love an F-15 with twin 80’s and a super scale plan form and all the goodies! That would truly get my attention.
                Alpha I know you can make this happen!

Comment

• Ordered.

<finger tapping impatiently>

Is it here yet??? When will the container arrive?? Where is the shipping notification!!
                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Hey Andrew, it's about 62" give or take from the nose cone off to the elevator tips. The nose cone with the antennae is 12"
                    That means it will fit into the Jeep!
                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by mick8488 View Post

As a backup should that UBEC fail with the escs. I'll still have control of the aircraft servos
                      This topic has been beaten to death on many forums, but briefly: it is not generally safe to directly connect the output of two regulators. It is complicated, and it is possible to design regulators so that they can be ganged like this, and there are some twins that operate this way stock. But if you are acquiring two regulators and have no idea if they were designed with this in mind, you *might* have trouble. I know something about this because I used to be in the business (my company designed/sold LDO and switcher ICs). The point is - if your goal is risk reduction, buying a random BEC and shorting it to the existing one might not reduce risk. But this is just intended to be helpful, not to tell you what to do. It's a hobby, and a lot of us just enjoy tinkering with things, so do whatever you like.

Comment

As a backup should that UBEC fail with the escs. I'll still have control of the aircraft servos
                        Um, OK. You're hooking up another external BEC that is of a different make and a different amperage and possibly putting out a different voltage. These "opto" ESCs have little relationship with an external BEC. If one of them fail, the BEC still works. But, I think I'll just leave you with this. If you want "back up", there are much better ways than this to do it.

Comment

If you are truly concerned with the internal BEC, a much simpler way would be to just not connect the included BEC and use a separate lipo/lion/nicad pack to power your receiver. Then you can guarantee a steady stream of power to your surfaces....as long as you remembered to also charge that pack

Comment

• Big thanks to JLambCWU for the idea. Here are the pertinent approximate measurements for the MiG-29. Hope this helps everyone planning storage and transport!

Click image for larger version

Name:	mIg-29 dimensions.jpg
Views:	10513
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	267511
                            Attached Files

Comment

Big thanks to JLambCWU for the idea. Here are the pertinent approximate measurements for the MiG-29. Hope this helps everyone planning storage and transport!

Excellent idea!

Comment

If you are truly concerned with the internal BEC, a much simpler way would be to just not connect the included BEC and use a separate lipo/lion/nicad pack to power your receiver.
                                Exactly.
                                Modern BEC's/UBEC's are extremely reliable. Not flawless, but I trust my models to them and haven't lost one to a BEC failure in many many years.

As we start seeing these bigger models with large servos (and lots of them), large e-retracts, etc. An independent dedicated rx pack is not a bad idea at all.

But even a battery can fail! sooooo.... pick your poison eh? BEC or Rx pack...

😁

Comment

• I have not seen a battery failure in many many years. Keep it charged and all is well!

Comment

• This will be a Big Hit at the Jam next year, get it...Big! :)

Comment

• James What is the gear up height? i.e. from bottom belly to top of vertical stab? Need to make sure I can close my trunk (or maybe it's time to buy a new car? )

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
                                        Love the MiG 29! Would love an F-15 with twin 80’s and a super scale plan form and all the goodies! That would truly get my attention.
                                        Alpha I know you can make this happen!
                                        Yup ..... Just increase the size of the current mold

That jet at the time of release was cutting edge for the flyers the people who mastered that one are now getting this one

​​​​​​In two or three years motion will be selling 12 cell jets mark my words

Comment

Big thanks to JLambCWU for the idea. Here are the pertinent approximate measurements for the MiG-29. Hope this helps everyone planning storage and transport!

one more James, height of the fins from bottom of fuse to top of fin

Comment

Working...
                                          X