X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
    GG, you are a Beast! I flew five flights on the Mig yesterday and was more than ready to call it a day. Staying fully focused during each flight wears me out as much as physical effort.
    More like an endorphin junkie! I hear ya!

To add to my earlier battery post....

I was using the Admiral Carbon 5100 batteries until I almost lost the F-4 when an internal cell connection failed during a flight. When I re-ordered a set, MRC shipped the Admiral Pro 6000s by mistake. I’ve been happy with these.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
      Would someone care to take on a flight evaluation / study and post your results?

Looking at the location of the missiles, they appear to be in perfect position to exert flow control over the elevator/stabilator.

I glued my missiles on...otherwise, I would do this.

Flight realms to explore with both load-outs (missiles on and off):
      -High AoA
      -Shallow dive slow and fast
      -approach to landing
      -various flap settings
      -etc

Please do this with sufficient recovery altitude. No planes should be harmed in this study.

Your efforts might just uncover the solution to the mysterious loss of control some have seen.

I have always flown with missiles and have not experienced any* loss of elevator control. Just saying....

-GG

PS *Other than my falling leaf experience. And we have a handle on that now.
      I’ve done all of that multiple times per my previous write ups. To include accelerated stalls in all configurations and CG extremes. The model behaves exactly as previously described.

I haven’t adjusted the nozzles down, but am going to try adjusting the thrust line and repeating the flights when I get home from my airline trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

I’ve done all of that multiple times per my previous write ups. To include accelerated stalls in all configurations and CG extremes. The model behaves exactly as previously described.

I haven’t adjusted the nozzles down, but am going to try adjusting the thrust line and repeating the flights when I get home from my airline trip.
        Roger that....loved your photos. Thanks for the details.

Soooo....What’s your take on the “mysterious” crashes?
        -GG

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
          GG, you are a Beast! I flew five flights on the Mig yesterday and was more than ready to call it a day. Staying fully focused during each flight wears me out as much as physical effort.
          I'm thinking he's actually a cyborg or a mechanised FreeWing aircraft endurance testing machine. ;-)

Comment

• Let’s not get personal, shall we?

Click image for larger version

Name:	A21EDDE8-05FB-44C2-8838-6742A4918C63.jpeg
Views:	696
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	279329

Comment

• Hello,
              what about Admiral 5000 batteries? Who is using this batteries? CG, position of batteries? Thanks for any info

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacckall View Post
                Hello,
                what about Admiral 5000 batteries? Who is using this batteries? CG, position of batteries? Thanks for any info
                Howdy....See post # 1382

Comment

• A buddy from RCG noticed that some of the wires routed under the wooden tray in the rear battery compartment were clipped by the tray as it came from factory.
                  Clipped wires were a source of problems on the Freewing F-18 stab servos so there's a chance that this may have happened on the MiG-29 yet again, just in an unsuspected position.

Those that have crashed, could you please go over your wiring and check if there is anything 'suspicious' in this regard?
                  And to those receiving their MiGs now, or with them already on the air, I think it would be a good idea to add this to your list of preflight checks! :)

Comment

• Ready to maiden this weekend. Does the MiG need any flap-elevator compensation? The manual does not mention it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                      Ready to maiden this weekend. Does the MiG need any flap-elevator compensation? The manual does not mention it.
                      I haven’t felt a need for any. Have about a dozen flights on her now.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                        Ready to maiden this weekend. Does the MiG need any flap-elevator compensation? The manual does not mention it.
                        Hi - Reference posts #1478, 1479, 1480 on this topic....and other posts. Good luck.

You may also want to search for “ferrite” and read those posts.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                          A buddy from RCG noticed that some of the wires routed under the wooden tray in the rear battery compartment were clipped by the tray as it came from factory.
                          Clipped wires were a source of problems on the Freewing F-18 stab servos so there's a chance that this may have happened on the MiG-29 yet again, just in an unsuspected position.

Those that have crashed, could you please go over your wiring and check if there is anything 'suspicious' in this regard?
                          And to those receiving their MiGs now, or with them already on the air, I think it would be a good idea to add this to your list of preflight checks! :)
                          Yeah, I remember the F-18 having this problem, both of my F-18 had sliced wires on both elevators, you could be onto something with the Mig.

Comment

• Hi all, I just received my jet! Very happy! But I was wondering: what kind of stand do you use on the field for assembling? Would this be a good option:

Or is it too small? Any recommendations?

Comment

• Food for thought on elevator concerns. In my case the Mig was almost impossible to transition smoothly either out of a dive or to pull elevator to tighten up a turn. It behaved almost like I had extreme expo settings. It made its move very abruptly.
                              I replaced the elevator linkages and it became a different bird. I believe that the flex in linkages becomes more extreme as you bring the cg more forward.. Not only does it require more force to lift the nose but one might also lengthen the linkages for more up elevator which makes the threads run more shallow and adds to the potential flex. Folks heading for a more rearward CG may not have experienced the full effect of the flex. I think stronger linkages are a no brainer, change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by PieterO View Post
                                Hi all, I just received my jet! Very happy! But I was wondering: what kind of stand do you use on the field for assembling? Would this be a good option:

This heavy duty portable stand is perfect for the larger model aircraft. It can be adjusted for the length of the model as well as the working height which enables you to work on your model without stooping over. The stand is constructed of aluminum

I made a stand for the MiG out of the styrofoam box it came in. I cut it down with a hot hacksaw blade so that the plane could sit on it’s flat surface. The stand was just wide enough to allow the main gear to come down and just short enough so the nose gear could come down unimpeded. The whole plane rested on the two belly bulges. It’s much more stable than that HobbyKing stand. Also, those styrofoam stands you buy at the hobby shop is not the right shape for the MiG to sit on.

Comment

• Originally posted by PieterO View Post
                                  Hi all, I just received my jet! Very happy! But I was wondering: what kind of stand do you use on the field for assembling? Would this be a good option:

This heavy duty portable stand is perfect for the larger model aircraft. It can be adjusted for the length of the model as well as the working height which enables you to work on your model without stooping over. The stand is constructed of aluminum

I use stuff like this, for all my large models too (as in significantly larger than this foamie)

Keyboard x Stand Sturdy double strut construction, With quick release lock, Adjustable rubber pads, Maximum load bearing capacity: 25 kg, Support depth: 40 cm, Height adjustable from 52 cm (width 87 cm) to 92 cm (width 46 cm), Weight: 4.25 kg,...

Add a little pipe insulation foam to the cross bars and this is a percect stand that folds up in one single move.
                                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by JCheek View Post
                                    Food for thought on elevator concerns. In my case the Mig was almost impossible to transition smoothly either out of a dive or to pull elevator to tighten up a turn. It behaved almost like I had extreme expo settings. It made its move very abruptly.
                                    I replaced the elevator linkages and it became a different bird. I believe that the flex in linkages becomes more extreme as you bring the cg more forward.. Not only does it require more force to lift the nose but one might also lengthen the linkages for more up elevator which makes the threads run more shallow and adds to the potential flex. Folks heading for a more rearward CG may not have experienced the full effect of the flex. I think stronger linkages are a no brainer, change my mind.
                                    Doesn't this plane already have carbon fiber sleeves for the control rod?

One simple test will prove if there is flex - press down on the elevator and see how much pressure will cause an elastic bend, if any at all.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	6AB454D8-B39A-4AF4-A29D-4D6C8C7BF016.jpeg
Views:	657
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	279438
                                      Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Doesn't this plane already have carbon fiber sleeves for the control rod?

One simple test will prove if there is flex - press down on the elevator and see how much pressure will cause an elastic bend, if any at all.
                                      Many of us beef up with heavy duty DuBro hardware and 4-40 threaded rods. Post #1123 and other posts have the details.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	6AB454D8-B39A-4AF4-A29D-4D6C8C7BF016.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	279438

Many of us beef up with heavy duty DuBro hardware and 4-40 threaded rods. Post #1123 and other posts have the details.

-GG
                                        That still doesn't tell me if flexing is actually observed, rather than supposed/conjectured/post-mortem'ed. Sounds more like "oh, s#!t, I'm gonna beef them up because it happened with another plane."

If that works for you, fine. But since I'm not going to soup mine up with 6000mah batteries, hotter motors, afterburners and the like, I'm opting not to go overboard, and see if I find observable evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

I use stuff like this, for all my large models too (as in significantly larger than this foamie)

Keyboard x Stand Sturdy double strut construction, With quick release lock, Adjustable rubber pads, Maximum load bearing capacity: 25 kg, Support depth: 40 cm, Height adjustable from 52 cm (width 87 cm) to 92 cm (width 46 cm), Weight: 4.25 kg,...

Add a little pipe insulation foam to the cross bars and this is a percect stand that folds up in one single move.
                                          That's a great idea! Simple and effective and I like the foldable part. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X