X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by john2kx View Post
    Replaced mine with DuBro links, 4-40 all thread and smaller carbon rod than factory piece. Stabs had about 3/16” play originally. Upgrade reduced play by 75%.
    did you have to drill out the horn for the 4-40 bolt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

did you have to drill out the horn for the 4-40 bolt?
      Yes....a very small amount of elevator horn drilling is required to accommodate the Du-Bro ball link bolt. The 4-40 all thread rod is stiff. If folks use carbon or other tubing to cover it, it would mainly be for looks. This short piece of 4-40 all thread rod has almost zero flex. The Du-Bro safety lock quick link prevents the servo arm from flexing/bending.

You end up with a push rod that provides confidence! Click image for larger version

Name:	E6448309-83C0-499F-8D19-B49A1A3EDAB3.jpeg
Views:	897
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	279849

-GG

Comment

• I disagree with the statement that 4-40 all thread has no or minimal flex. It has a good amount of flex to me. It has more flex than the Dubro 4-40 rods that are solid except for a threaded end. I also disagree that the use of an outer carbon rod does nothing to stop flex and is only for looks.

That is talking in general with even a short piece as the MiG or F-22 would use. As I keep saying, have you checked the security of the horn on the stab? I replaced the screws with longer ones and glued the horn down. I also glued the servos in the wells.

Comment

• Hi just received the Mig 29 .WOW what a model .Want to make sure I have the right Cof G .Just want to know is it best to check the C of G with the retracts up or down .I have found there is 1/2 inch difference with the retract up to the retract down ?. I would normally check the C of G with the retract up is this right .Do not want to come in for a landing and retract the undercarriage only to up set the C of G about a foot of the ground !!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Remembering that a static CG point on the ground is just a reference to getting a good balance in the air I am setting the CG with gear down (easier to check on the bench or just before flying) and I am currently balancing about 1/2" behind the CG marks under the wing. I removed some foam under the canopy so I can move my forward pack more to try a bit more rearward CG next time out.

Comment

• The stock elevator push rods are indeed way too thin and soft for a model this size, with huge taileron surfaces. As others have demonstrated, the flex a lot under pressure, and imo, the fibreglass tube is just for show - it does nothing to prevent the thin rod from bending.

For my part, upgrading to mini servos, metal horns, metal ball links and fatter push rod. Not done yet, but should be tight as it gets Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201010_143332.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	279864Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201010_145157.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	279865Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201010_153548.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	279866
              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• My statement was “mainly”. That isn’t an absolute. Mainly and “nothing” are different. Referencing the formula below or other similar formulas which might apply, of course I agree that decreasing the length or increasing the stiffness and/or increasing the cross sectional area will have an impact on linear elastic deformation or the amount of deformation resulting from a load applied to a rod supported at either end.

Short fat rods ain’t gonna bend much. Short fat rods made outa stiff materials ain’t gonna bend much. Short skinny rods made outa stiffer material ain’t gonna bend much.

My opinion...beefing up the elevator push rods for large/fast birds with large-area surfaces is a cheap/easy way to be confident in your flights.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	3FEA7B39-F6A7-4164-8D5E-4E65764A7E6D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.0 KB ID:	279868

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                  My opinion...beefing up the elevator push rods for large/fast birds with large-area surfaces is a cheap/easy way to be confident in your flights.
                  And a cheap/easy way to mitigate the risk of issues caused by flexible transfer of forces.

At the very least, it will feel better. In more extreme scenarios, it can save a model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post
                    Maybe he did, you wouldn't see that video posted ;) I’m pretty sure they had more than one.
                    As is virtually always the case, Motions media team had just one Mig. Another was later sent to the CS team for parts photos etc.

The Gripen is an exception as it has an TV unit that was already available and they wanted to be able to show both versions of the airplane side by side.

Comment

• GG, I think we are in agreement, for the most part.

Don't forget this part of my post, I feel it's as important. "As I keep saying, have you checked the security of the horn on the stab? I replaced the screws with longer ones and glued the horn down. I also glued the servos in the wells.".

Comment

• I knew that but it wasn't worth the "discussion".

Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

As is virtually always the case, Motions media team had just one Mig. Another was later sent to the CS team for parts photos etc.

The Gripen is an exception as it has an TV unit that was already available and they wanted to be able to show both versions of the airplane side by side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          GG, I think we are in agreement, for the most part.

Don't forget this part of my post, I feel it's as important. "As I keep saying, have you checked the security of the horn on the stab? I replaced the screws with longer ones and glued the horn down. I also glued the servos in the wells.".
                          Yes sir.....Also great advice! I did I it, too

-GG

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-02 MiG-29 WalkAround.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.5 KB ID:	279911

Hi Alpha,
                            Are there anymore upgrades coming , AKA "Speed Brakes"?

BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Calm all day / great MiG flying....Did a bunch. For you fellas about to maiden yours, she’s a good flying bird. Other than the falling leaf experience early on (and now the instructions from others on recovery), set it up right, and you’ll get a lot of pleasurable flying with the MiG.

I’ve not seen anything “mysterious” outa her, and I’ve flown her a ton of flights.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                Calm all day / great MiG flying....Did a bunch. For you fellas about to maiden yours, she’s a good flying bird. Other than the falling leaf experience early on (and now the instructions from others on recovery), set it up right, and you’ll get a lot of pleasurable flying with the MiG.

I’ve not seen anything “mysterious” outa her, and I’ve flown her a ton of flights.

-GG
                                Same here today. It's just a hoot to fly.

Comment

• More scale touches on my Mig turbine conversion
                                  Cheater holes gone
                                  intake colored
                                  canon panel area installed
                                  both fuel tanks installed
                                  centerline tank and external hard point installed
                                  Landing gear painted correctly
                                  Cockpit window liner complete
                                  Completely weathered
                                  ....more to come
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	279918Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	279919Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	279920Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9396.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	279921Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9397.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	279922Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8978.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	279923

Comment

• Does anyone have a settings with DSMX AS3x and SAFE??? I am looking at installing an AS3X receiver and looking around to see if anyone has the settings done on their MiG-29

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      I don't think it was an "after thought". The very same design was used on all SebArt MiG29's and who made those? Freewing. The SebArt MiG first came out 5 to 6 years ago. I have two of them. They are much smaller models and had much narrower tubes but they worked very well. They merely upsized the tubes for the bigger MiG. It's not a weak attempt. The concept works. Sure, there may be still a tiny bit of flex on the rod when there is a pushing force but that flex is limited to a very small amount. You see this method used on planes that have extremely long rod lengths. Take for example, the Parkzone/Eflite Radian. Those have rods that run from the battery compartment all the way back to the tail surfaces. They run those rods inside long tubes (sheaths), exposing only about a centimeter or so at each end. Horizon Hobby actually sell long rods and sheaths as spare parts and parts for homebuilt model planes. Rods inside sheaths are not uncommon and have proven themselves to be a viable solution to a situation where a longer than desired rod is used.
                                      The problem is that the inner diameter is much too large, making the tube next to useless

Sure, it will prevent the rod from bending double, but it is still allowing bending equalling about half an inch travel at the taileron leading edge

Comment

• Almost finished my Mig-29! Two question before I attempt my maiden:

1) What do you think about the recommended throws for a first flight? I believe someone mentioned that is was a little bit twitchy on the ailerons. Do you think the recommended throws on the ailerons are a little bit too much for a maiden?
                                        2) Regarding the little screws in the collars that hold the elevator: do you use loctite on them? I don't think I ever did this on my F-16 and it's still in one piece. On the other hand: someone told me once to always use loctite on metal in metal screws.

Comment

• Originally posted by PieterO View Post
                                          Almost finished my Mig-29! Two question before I attempt my maiden:

1) What do you think about the recommended throws for a first flight? I believe someone mentioned that is was a little bit twitchy on the ailerons. Do you think the recommended throws on the ailerons are a little bit too much for a maiden?
                                          2) Regarding the little screws in the collars that hold the elevator: do you use loctite on them? I don't think I ever did this on my F-16 and it's still in one piece. On the other hand: someone told me once to always use loctite on metal in metal screws.
                                          1) Book rates are perfect. I fly on high rate all the time. The roll rate might be a little high for some, but it's a big enough bird that it wont end up on its back before you know it. If you're going to fly with a lower rate, leave yourself the high rate for elevator imo.
                                          2) If you're going to use a thread locker, be very careful with it and make sure none gets anywhere near the plastic parts of the stab. I put a drop on the screw and let it wick into the threads - then wipe most of it off. It's such a tiny screw even a drop is usually too much lol.

Comment

Working...
                                          X