First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon View Post
      I know I will get laughed out of town for asking this, but could you fit three batteries, say 4000s into the Mig and would it give extra flight duration ?
      No it's not a dumb question, it's worth considering. If you mean putting it in parallel and keeping it 6S, then 3 x 4000 is the same capacity as 2 x 6000. But 3 x 4000 is heavier because of overhead. Using the number on MotionRC site, 3 x 4000 weighs 1926g and 2 x 6000 weighs 1688g, so that is not a small difference. To be exact, it is 238g heavier. But also notice that the arrangement on 2x6000 is 1 battery going directly to 1 ESC. There is no H-bridge harness to put them in parallel. If you had 3 batteries, you have no choice but to wire them in parallel - you have 3 inputs and 2 outputs. WIth EC5's and 10 gauge wire, I would guess you are looking at an addition of at least 100g just for the H-bridge type of harness to accomplish that (I'll still call it an H-bridge even though the letter H indicates 2-in and 2-out, whereas you need 3-in and 2-out). As someone observed above, the flight time doesn't seem to be getting much longer with 6000's, so probably we are getting noticeable diminishing returns even at 2x6000, and adding 238g + 100g to that for the same capacity would only decrease time. And 100g is just a minimum estimate for the wiring, it could be a lot more. Remember, it has to reach all 3 batteries, which is a lot of 10 gauge wire.

Anyway, as far as fitting - look at the arrangement of 6000s in the battery bay in the video - the front is empty. And in the 4000 flight video, you can see the middle slot it empty. So I don't think there is a question that it fits, there are three positions for batteries. The question is if you can balance it (without adding further tail weight). It seems like the two rearward 4000's would have to be as far aft as possible to compensate the front 4000, because if you compare to the 2x4000 situation, adding a third battery in the middle slot would move the CG forward. And then there's the weight of the extra wiring.

IMHO the 2x6000 case already looked a little heavy. Going well over that weight for the same capacity seems questionable to me. But it's not completely crazy, especially if you happen to have 3x4000 laying around and don't want to buy 2x6000.

Comment

• This post was from a question asked by IntegrityRC on YouTube. He wanted to see and know the dimensions of the ESC location.

The space is about 4 3/8" long, 2" wide and about 3/4" thick to the wooden platform (but room underneath if you removed the platform.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200820_103227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	269818

Comment

• Originally posted by dsmithwc04@yahoo.com View Post
          I thought it was interesting that the 5100 batts had same flight time 5:30+ and active throttle ~4:00 as the 6000 batts. Must have reached the depreciating returns on weight to power. Since I plan on running 5000s this isn’t bad new at all.
          Even since HobbyKing brought out their "Graphene" (which is "Carbon" tech by another name) batteries, it's been very clear to me from using them that a Graphene type LiPo is bigger and heavier than a non-graphene battery. Experience in my planes tells me that performance and especially flight times for a Graphene battery is about 10% to 15% (or more) than a non-Graphene of the same stated mah. Eg, I've found that a Graphene 2200mah flies like a 2500 to 2600, a Gr. 3000mah flies like a 3500 and so on. That's why I've always advised that if you decide to go with Graphenes and weight and dimension are important, size them down a bit when you buy. Go take a look at the newer HobbyKing Panthers. They're even bigger and heavier than the regular Graphene type batteries and their flight performance in planes show they pack more in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Not if multiple containers left at the same time....
            That would make it even better for the customer as there is less chance of anyone "missing out" on available incoming stock.

Comment

• I plan on using two RoaringTop 6S 6250 35C in mine. Total of both is 1606g. Should work fine.
              Pat

Comment

• You could build pods to hold extra batteries and mount them on the racks like drop tanks😨

Comment

• I don't use Admiral batteries. I am fairly easy on my batteries in flight and usually opt to use lower C light weight batteries. For 80mm's and this I will be trying 620-640g 5200mHa Hobby Stars, 765g 5800mAh Roaring tops and 760g 6200mAh ESpeed's.

Still considering moving to JetFan/ HET 8S too.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsmithwc04@yahoo.com View Post
                    I thought it was interesting that the 5100 batts had same flight time 5:30+ and active throttle ~4:00 as the 6000 batts. Must have reached the depreciating returns on weight to power. Since I plan on running 5000s this isn’t bad new at all.
                    Indeed.

There are usually diminishing returns in both ends of the scale for all models.... At some point, adding more battery more or less stops giving more flight time since they model flies more heavy and less efficient - which can be a good thing by all means, but not for stamina. In the other end of the scale, you can typically maintain similar flight times as you decrease battery since - to a point where a lighter, more efficient model stops making up for the fact that you bring less fuel.
                    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

Interestingly enough, there is a great amount of space on the sides of the back battery compartment. We have our receiver tucked in there with plenty of room and the eagle gyro is under the back battery compartment. So you could totally fit the blue box back there and your RX / gyro and have the entire top/middle compartment clear if you wished. Might just need a few extensions for the nose gear and steering.
                      Definitely plenty room. For my part, I've been eyeballing that space for side by side tanks :D

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        Even since HobbyKing brought out their "Graphene" (which is "Carbon" tech by another name) batteries, it's been very clear to me from using them that a Graphene type LiPo is bigger and heavier than a non-graphene battery. Experience in my planes tells me that performance and especially flight times for a Graphene battery is about 10% to 15% (or more) than a non-Graphene of the same stated mah. Eg, I've found that a Graphene 2200mah flies like a 2500 to 2600, a Gr. 3000mah flies like a 3500 and so on. That's why I've always advised that if you decide to go with Graphenes and weight and dimension are important, size them down a bit when you buy. Go take a look at the newer HobbyKing Panthers. They're even bigger and heavier than the regular Graphene type batteries and their flight performance in planes show they pack more in them.
                        Matches my experience very well too.

Comment

• I saw these on YouTube when searching for MiG-29 videos. Attached below...

Comment

•  

Comment

•  

Comment

dsmithwc04 - Don't read too much into it. The 5100 carbons and 6000's weigh about the same. It comes down to the fact that you saw just 1 flight on 3 different sets of packs. No two flights are the same so impossible to extrapolate an average flight time based on just these flights. In total, the aircraft now has 17 flights on it. 3 prior to the announcement where we were very conservative, just wanted to get some flying footage and pics for the big announcement. 10 on the day with Patrick where he flew 4 flights on 4000, 2 on 6000, 2 on 5100, 2 on 5000. Then I just did my first 4 flights yesterday on the same aircraft, 2 with 5100 and 2 with 4000. I wish the only part of my job was to just be at the field all day every day, but it's not. But, either way, what you should take away from these videos is that for a large twin EDF jet, the flight time has come a long way and the days of 2-3 minute EDF flights are over.
                                I like to fly at pretty much full throttle the entire time, so I'm cool with 2 minutes flight time at full throttle with 30 seconds to land. Used to it on the L-39 and Phantom. However, I agree that 4 to 5 mins on mixed throttle would be the average for most jets these days. Looking forward to flying the MiG when it arrives at my place down under!

Comment

• Are we talking flight time or useful throttle time? 3 min useful throttle time is about what I see across all of my FW jets to land at ~high 3.7's or about 25% remaining.

Granted, for my 80mms I'm using 4000's and 5000's for my 90mm to keep the weight down. Better batteries have a ~30 second longer time under load than the ones I'm using today I've seen and I'll be testing that out here shortly once my new pairs arrive. Carrying an extra 1000 mah will probably buy you another 30 seconds, so 4 min. is possible.

I'm okay with 3 min btw. I'd prefer better performance over longer flights.

Comment

• Join us live at 12pm est or watch the replay if your seeing this afterward. We have an endurance flight for you on the MiG-29 and of course a lot of fun with our awesome community.

Comment

• I have two models of aerotetris f15e.designed for two 90mm edf fans in boxes. I wonder how it would fly off in a mark engagement with the Mig 29.Very tempted to get the 29 with the mods that are suppose to be coming later..

http://aerotetris.com/f15e.html

Comment

• Hi,
                                        Does the retracts work directly in the receiver, or only through the blue box? If so, can I use another controller for the retracts?

Comment

• The blue box has both the retracts and door sequencer in it. So if you eliminate the box, you'll need to add a door sequencer. This is only for the main gear doors as I believe the front doors use push bars and springs that are controlled by the nose gear strut.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X