X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Man, that thing was in the air for 20 seconds. In Canuck bucks, that's $3000.00/min. Appears to be Taiwan or China. It's only reasonable to think that since they got it first, someone there would be first to crash one.

PS. A "pre-flight" or two or three may not have helped here. He may have been in waaaay over his head with this model - likely just didn't know what to do with the sticks when it was coming down and back towards him.
    It looks like a fake video , showing the MIG taxying out as an EDF and then suddenly a jet engine sounded one appears and crashes but no fuel spread or fuel tanks in the debris plus hard to see where the K45 went. I just hope the actual modified to jet one has not crashed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mavernick* View Post

It looks like a fake video , showing the MIG taxying out as an EDF and then suddenly a jet engine sounded one appears and crashes but no fuel spread or fuel tanks in the debris plus hard to see where the K45 went. I just hope the actual modified to jet one has not crashed.
      That was not a turbine. EDFs sound like that these days. My A-10 sounds like that. My L-39 sounds like that. I highly doubt that was a fake video. There is no conspiracy going on there.

Comment

Man, that thing was in the air for 20 seconds. In Canuck bucks, that's $3000.00/min. Appears to be Taiwan or China. It's only reasonable to think that since they got it first, someone there would be first to crash one.

PS. A "pre-flight" or two or three may not have helped here. He may have been in waaaay over his head with this model - likely just didn't know what to do with the sticks when it was coming down and back towards him.
        Definitely reinforces the saying.. Gravity always Wins I’m pretty sure the Field is a Club field in Hong Kong ..Crash could be likely the Gremlin Box?? He had no control whatsoever after he banked so if there was an issue with the BB that could expect it ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mavernick* View Post

If you closely around the minute mark you’ll see what looks like a single 80mm Edf lying just left of the Fuse wreck..

Comment

Yup!

"But that's a real nice airplane. One that I've always wanted. I've been flying my Apprentice with SAFE select for months now and I'm real good at it. I'm ready. I'll even get my buddy to build it and set it up for me 'cause he's been in the hobby for decades. It's going to be so great. I'm so excited."

(Later that month and the CC charges just arrived ........................... )
            "I QUIT!"
            I do not want to be bad ass but jumping from one month flying Apprentice to Freewing MiG-29 is very stupid idea. What ever you think about your skills, you will realise after your first crash how far away you are from to be a good pilot. Good luck. ;) I'm going to give you a little advice. Get 3D aerobatic plane and after you will be really comfortable with it, try easy flying EDF jet and then start thinking about MiG- 29. :)

Comment

• This is worrying me already the second crash and they are only start to deliver the planes

Comment

• Hope it’s not like the F-18 release. Mine was fine but 3 locals lost theirs. Two to elevator issues and one due to flap rudder stuttering.

Gravy

Comment

• I ordered one as well. It just sucks now have to wait until October to get it.:(

Comment

That was not a turbine. EDFs sound like that these days. My A-10 sounds like that. My L-39 sounds like that. I highly doubt that was a fake video. There is no conspiracy going on there.
                    Sorry yes you are probably right, i noticed that the guy who uploaded it was the same who did the video with the K45 modified one and thought it was a combi of two videos. The sound fooled me, i hope mine will sound like that as well haha!!

Comment

• Originally posted by robertbulko View Post

I do not want to be bad ass but jumping from one month flying Apprentice to Freewing MiG-29 is very stupid idea. What ever you think about your skills, you will realise after your first crash how far away you are from to be a good pilot. Good luck. ;) I'm going to give you a little advice. Get 3D aerobatic plane and after you will be really comfortable with it, try easy flying EDF jet and then start thinking about MiG- 29. :)
                      I think the post was more about mocking pilots who use SAFE than it was legitimate speculation as to the cause of the crash ;)

Sucks to see, you know those guys probably went home feeling pretty lousy. All part of the hobby I guess and at least they have a video record of it.

​​

Comment

• Originally posted by robertbulko View Post

You didn't get the whole sarcasm thing, did you? The quotation marks, the italicized print, the 3rd person singular didn't give it away?

Comment

• Originally posted by Edwin-0 View Post
                          This is worrying me already the second crash and they are only start to deliver the planes
                          I wouldn't worry about it.

While we don't know the exact root causes for either of the two, the first one is at a field where almost every single video involves a crash or bad mistakes, so stuff like this is commonplace. Whether they are actually that bad, or do it on purpose to boost their youtube views I have no idea. In either case, it works.

The second one could be just about anything. Black dot in the sky, going down in a shallow dive. Typically radio glitch material, but impossible to say.
                          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Hey pilots! I wanted to share my setup and maiden flight experience from Friday with the new MiG-29. I have mine setup with a Futaba T18SZ radio and HobbyEagle Pro gyro set to gyro off/gyro on/trainer mode. I put the receiver in one of the side caverns and the gyro on top next to the MCB. I made a plastic plate, Foam-Tac'ed it in place, and used 3M tape to stick down the MCB (sideways) and the gyro. With the gryo on top I have easy access to make any changes to it. There's a lot of wiring but it can be tucked away clean once sorted. The build takes 45min but I spent a good 6hrs sorting electronics, setting the gyro, setting throws, checking CG, and double checking it all. James said book rates are fine so... I used book rates and set 30% expo on ailerons/elevator. I set the CG a little nose heavy using 5,000mah CNHL 70C 6S bricks that weigh 1lb 14oz apiece. I added elevator to flap mix for some nose-up trim with flaps deployed. I also added dual-stage main gear doors so they close with gear deployed. It takes a y-harness to do it. More on that with a video later. 😉 Transport of this very large model is easier than the OV-10 Bronco. The wings are small and can be safely stored for transport.

Maiden day is always nerve racking. It doesn't matter what plane it is but the giant MiG-29 had me a tad more intimidated. I kept telling myself it's just a giant T-33. 😂 I always take another plane to relax with before I maiden a new jet. I maidened a Night Timber for a pack before the MiG-29 which helped the nerves some. I checked over the MiG's controls, gyro, looked at the control surfaces to make sure they were even across the wing, and did high speed taxi tests. She was hooking bad to the right but after some fiddling I got her tracking straight. I had a friend help with a range check before checking over everything with me especially the gyro even though I flew with it off. I always fly maidens with NO gyro at first to feel the plane better. With fresh packs loaded and the timer set to 4min there was only one thing left to do: send it! I had good confidence in my setup. I now had to put my faith in the plane itself.

I stuck it way back on the runway and didn't use any juice to get it there because I wanted to save all the power for the air. No flap takeoff with gyro off and high rates. I throttled up to my usual 30%, got her tracking straight, then gave it the beans. It's a lot of jet to get moving but once it's moving it accelerates very quickly. I left a dust trail behind the plane and used a good portion of pavement but she peeled off the runway nicely, predictably, and I was off climbing into the pattern. It sounded awesome going down the runway! I could tell I needed nose up trim and had my spotter dial it in. The jet tracks very true much like the T-33. The nose does not fall hardly at all with high bank angles. Not wanting to chance any type of stall situation I mostly flew at 50%-75% throttle and WOW was I covering airspace. I could see it just fine and found myself flying much further out than I normally fly my jets. I was gaining altitude very quickly on the throttle. I flew mostly a figure-8 pattern and with a minute to go dropped the gear to start getting a feel for a landing. The plane flies fine with the gear down and with the dual stage door mod looked cleaner with gear down. I told myself I'd take the first approach that looked good and safe. On my second approach I was a bit high and hot but pulled the throttle, pushed the nose down, and pulled it back up over the threshold plopping it down carrying a lot of speed. I kept it out of the dirt with some s-turning bringing it to a stop. The gear on this plane is the beefiest yet on a Freewing model. The tires on both mains and front are very large. The next flight went smoothly after adjusting the top pack back and trimming accordingly. Flaps 1 helped reduce the takeoff roll. I threw some barrel rolls in and was impressed with how quickly this big jet can respond. I stuck the RunCam on and caught some good footage showing how much ground this jet is covering. My packs came off very warm but not dangerously warm. The leads were very warm. This plane is making some serious power. My packs were at 3.75V per cell at 4min of flight time.

Overall I am extremely impressed with this Freewing offering. I'm not an 'ace' pilot but found its flight characteristics and landing characteristics to be quite tame and manageable. With that said this is NOT a beginner EDF either. If you're very comfortable with a T-33 or L-39 than the MiG-29 will be very manageable. It's a massive jet and you're strapping 3-4lbs of lithium on board to bore some very large holes in the sky with. It sounds incredible doing a high speed pass. The vertical performance is awesome for a jet of this size. Take your time with the setup. Double and triple check all of it and use good packs. Remember.... it's just a giant T-33. 😆

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5504.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	239.0 KB ID:	273207
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5492.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	273208
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5411.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	273209
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5414.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	273210

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5496.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	273211

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5506.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	273212

Comment

• Congrats! Looks brilliant!

I would never in a thousand years dare to maiden a freewing jet with a cg more nose heavy than the manual already calls for though, but glad it worked out.
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Here's the info on the dual stage gear door mod. Cheap and easy. The MCB (blue box) has a port for dual stage doors. All I did was disconnect the main gear door servos from the wing boards, use a y-harness, and run them to the dual stage door port on the MCB. As a result when I lower my gear the doors shut once it's extended. When I retract the gear they open before the struts retract and then close after gear retraction. This is a simple mod that will only cost you a y-harness. It may not be scale but I like the way it works.

Comment

• Can you show your antenna routing? I’ll be using the same receiver. Actually a 7008SB, but basically the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
                                    Congrats! Looks brilliant!

I would never in a thousand years dare to maiden a freewing jet with a cg more nose heavy than the manual already calls for though, but glad it worked out.
                                    Standing over this massive jet with my fingers on the CG marks it was tipping nose down a little not a lot. The rear most pack can't move hardly at all but the upper pack has some room to adjust the CG. I had set the manuals recommended 1mm of nose up trim. I didn't have to trim a ton and had plenty of elevator authority.

Comment

• Nice tip on the asynchronous door sequencing, I find the fewer dangly bits the better when flying off grass.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                                        Nice tip on the asynchronous door sequencing, I find the fewer dangly bits the better when flying off grass.
                                        Looking forward to your Maiden ​​​​​​ I’ll wait for the second batch to order.. Let you CTD guys sort out any issues At a little over $1K it makes for an expensive Lawn Dart

Comment

• That double stage door setup looks nice. I'm going to have to do that.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X