More like "It's a piece of #$%& town"
      LOL I'll agree with that.
      Best regards,
      Cris B.
      AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
      NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
        Oh no, my delivery date changed from Thursday to Friday!! Why play with my feelings like that? Who held on to my box and missed that FedEx truck? Ugh!!

Oh well, still arriving earlier than anticipated...but dang it, my anxiety meter just went up 8 notches!!
        Just be happy yours is in route... i havnt heard anything about mine. And my buddy just offered me a realky good deal in a 61cc that im about to cancel my mig and get. So i guess there will be 1 extra from the first batch boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post

Mines been pushed out twice now. First Notice Thursday Delivery, then Friday Delivery, and just now Saturday Delivery. Seems Chicago Hub is playing games with our packages
          You can thank all the protest for that... we forget how spoiled we are in this country. Myself included. But lets not forget things are subject to change in this i want what i want and i want it now kind of world we live in...

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
            Frank,

I too normally wait to have the plane in hand before designing, which I'm doing for the ordnance decals. But I thought I'd get started on some of the minor details. The pic of the bird slicers is deceptive, the base is only 1mm thick. Should look good just glued directly to the outside of the foam. Other option is to cut out a small area of foam to sit the base into.

Here they are on my F-14. The pic makes them seem much larger than they really are. But when you look at it with the naked eye they look just fine.
            OK! Great photo of the real bird. I think we should use some extra glue when adding those parts to get the scale look...

Comment

• Just checked the shipping status again, and you’ve got to be kidding me!! I’ve been pushed back yet again. Went from Thursday to Friday, Now Saturday delivery

I know it’s “NOT” a Motion RC thing.
              Who’s running Illinois these days? Their shipping system stinks. It’ll be sitting there longer than it’ll be on the road enroute to me... if it truly arrives on Saturday. I’ll be meeting that delivery driver at my door with a big ol’ smile and an elbow bump.

Comment

• While it does increase the stress this is still earlier than expected.

Come on Friday!

Comment

• I think some of you fellas are going to blow an aneurysm over this. It's like seeing some guy pace back and forth as he watches the stock market ticker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

OK! Great photo of the real bird. I think we should use some extra glue when adding those parts to get the scale look...
                    LOL! So true!
                    Pat

Comment

• Lol it's almost as if there's a global pandemic that is affecting logistics performance or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        I think some of you fellas are going to blow an aneurysm over this. It's like seeing some guy pace back and forth as he watches the stock market ticker.
                        I know, right! Just having fun about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          While it does increase the stress this is still earlier than expected.

Come on Friday!
                          Oh right, coming from the guy who’s getting it on Friday, and not Saturday!! Ha, can’t wait to see and hear everyone’s impressions of the jet during unboxing. Feels like Christmas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

Oh right, coming from the guy who’s getting it on Friday, and not Saturday!! Ha, can’t wait to see and hear everyone’s impressions of the jet during unboxing. Feels like Christmas
                            Mine is due to arrive Thursday cleared the bench in anticipation and vacuumed the shop lol

Comment

• Some tips for those maidening their new birds:

1) I know this goes without saying, since pilots operating this MiG-29 are Expert level modelers, but it's worth emphasizing that the MiG-29's elevator servo horn must be set up per the manual as shown below. The middle hole is the only hole into which the control rod should be mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200908_175318.jpg
Views:	1558
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	273601

2)The recommended CG mark is molded into the airplane along the underside of its wings, so that's also a no-brainer there. We measured with the gear down and fingertips on the raised CG mark. Start at that position and adjust per your preferences on subsequent flights. I liked mine slightly aft of the CG we put in the manual, as usual, but that's just me.

3) There has been a lot of talk about this airplane's wide flight envelope, which it certainly has, but for initial flights I recommend flying the MiG-29 through a normal jet's flight pattern to get used to it. I would wager this is the largest foam jet most of you have ever flown, so with any plane that expands our previous skill sets, it's wise to take things slowly. Translation: Please avoid trying to hover on your first flight.

4) If you plan to install a gyro in this jet, or any airplane for that matter, I highly recommend programming a switch to remotely deactivate the gyro. During flight, especially when trying out slow-n-low high alpha passes, many gyros can get confused and try to level the aircraft by rolling back instead of pushing the nose down. Fighting the gyro in this condition is a losing battle. Again, none of this is new information for you seasoned pilots. Turn the gyro off, power up, push the nose down to regain airspeed and control authority, then fly out of the maneuver. Panic and pulling back on the stick while already near a standstill will not end well with a big jet like this.

5) As I try to remind everyone with any purchase, whether it be an all-new product or not, please review our warranty policies, contact tech support for any questions/concerns (224-633-9090 M-F CST), read the manual, program a High-Mid-Low rate for maiden, double-check throw direction, *range test*, and post your feedback for the community. Good, bad, or great, we'd all benefit from hearing everyone's experiences with their new bird. We've had lots of fun with our birds so far.

Flight characteristics, landing tips, and generally managing weight/momentum to preserve energy:

The Freewing twin 80mm MiG-29 is a large aircraft. Takeoffs are smooth with zero to minimal flaps, and minimal elevator input. I get the gear clean as soon as I'm off the ground. Assuming you're flying without ordnance, you'll notice that the MiG retains its momentum very well, so use that to your advantage and avoid wasting battery by entering into maneuvers before applying throttle. Rather, power up beforehand and enter into maneuvers with speed, reducing throttle during the actual maneuver. Our flight videos show the MiG-29 can be flown for three minutes or double that time, depending primarily on how the model's energy is managed by the pilot. If you're landing empty at two and a half minutes, you're doing it wrong.

After your initial trim passes, start shooting lower and lower gear passes. You'll notice that the MiG-29 takes on a predictable, slightly nose-high sink rate with the gear down and minimal throttle to manage its descent. I strongly advise using throttle to manage descent rather than over-controlling the elevator. A shallow flare onto the mains first is better than a three point touchdown. I push the elevator full forward to give the nose wheel more authority throughout rollout. I tend to land without flaps for the first couple flights, so I can observe the authority imparted by the stabs alone. Too much flap may also partially blank the stabs if you're landing too shallow, which is another reason to initially use less if not none. Once you've mastered the best landing angle, then gradually feed in more flaps on subsequent flights to your taste. Of course, a three position switch for flaps will allow you to observe three conditions during three separate passes in the same flight, to see which you like best.

The MiG-29 lands closer to the F-18 than the F-22. The MiG-29's struts don't have a tendency to bounce, unless you pancake the model from shin height. For those of you who have flown the AL37, the MiG-29 can land with a similar nose up and long rollout on the mains at a similar power setting. So, have that image in your mind when you're on approach.

If you find yourself in a bad vector on approach or during landing, relax the elevator and power up for a go around. On a low pass, try to avoid sudden throttle pumps to maximum when you're below mid-shin height (ground effect), especially when the gear is up, otherwise you risk FOD. It is better to pitch the nose slightly upward to gain altitude to knee height before going to full throttle.

Have fun!
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Translation: Please avoid trying to hover on your first flight.

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                If you're landing empty at two and a half minutes, you're doing it wrong.
                                Either that, or you don't realize the left stick is more than just on and off.

Once again, thanks for all the tips and tricks Alpha!

Pat

Comment

• Looks pretty manageable on the approaches, but out of interest, how does the hornet land? (I don't have one... yet). The F22 can come in at a hilarious AoA and a 3ft rollout on grass - I assume the F18 (and by implication the Mig) want you to carry a little more inertia onto the ground for a smooth touchdown?

Comment

• Anyone get in on the first pre order not get a shipping notice yet?

Comment

• The tension in here is high as your MiGs get closer and closer. I know many of you know what you're doing but I wanted to point out a couple things I went over on my build. I estimate I spent about 45min building the jet and about 6hrs setting it up. I pulled the engines to check the fans, pulled the ESC's to solder bullets, and setup my radio system on the bench first before installing it in the plane. Make sure to set the elevator servo horn positions to the middle hole and set the manual recommended 1mm of nose UP neutral trim. Book rates seemed solid with 30% expo on elevator/aileron.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nose up.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.0 KB ID:	273622
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20200908_175318.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	273623
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5328.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	273624

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5327.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	273626

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5335.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	156.7 KB ID:	273625

Comment

• I was really glad to see beefier turnbuckles on the MiG. MiG turnbuckle on the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5333.JPEG
Views:	788
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	273628

Comment

• Originally posted by Rc4me21976 View Post
                                          Anyone get in on the first pre order not get a shipping notice yet?
                                          Maybe contact Motion tomorrow to see what happened? Also, have you checked your account to see if it shows as “Fulfilled”? If it does, then there’ll be a FedEx shipping number available. I never received a shipping notice from Motion either, but it’s there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X