Comment

• Just hit the front door!
      Best regards,
      Cris B.
      AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
      NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

• This box is a mastery in Tetris!

I knew the canopy was big, but man it is looong. I'd be curious about long-term open/closing with the ~12 inch lever arm between the rear pull tab and the canopy magnets. Not sure if it will eventually develop stress creases in the foam, but I may later run some CF strips on the inside to make it more rigid.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Just got mine!
          Attached Files
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• You lucky, lucky bastards :D

With any luck, us northern Europe suckers are not going to get it before the snow hits :P
            Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Man, its going to be a long wait until monday for mine!

Comment

• Just a heads-up for all. Careful when handling the EPS carrier portion of the packaging, and hold it from the bottom. The packing tape let loose one one side and the bottom jig-saw portion dropped out when I was moving it by grasping on the opposite corners. Thankfully no damage but a close call

Comment

• Here's what the box looks like when you open it. Mine arrived taped securely. There are two layers (first two pics).
                  The top layer has the fuse front parts, wings, stab, etc. The bottom layer has the main fuselage body and the vertical fins. Everything is packed superbly (as you would expect) just like all the other Freewing planes. (there were some foam spacers that I removed before I took the pic)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Box2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	273719
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Box3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	273720

And the missiles are all neatly tucked in little compartments in the bottom, under the fuselage!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Box4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	273721
                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• There's a LOT of EDF goodness packed into that box! As you build it the plane keeps growing bigger and bigger in proportion. Every EDF I've built from Freewing is bigger in person. The MiG is not hard to transport with the wings off. Enjoy them!

Comment

• Mine showed up to day as well :) ...... I'm out of town tho :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Daryl View Post
                        Mine showed up to day as well :) ...... I'm out of town tho :(
                        Give me your address and I'll go pick it up for you.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Would someone post a picture of the outside of the vertical fin.......I'd like to see what it looks like without the tiger .
                          Thanks

Comment

• Its quite large! And it is very sharp looking.

It goes together fairly straight-forward and everything fits very well. There is a collar with a tiny screw that holds the stab on, its a metal-to-metal connection (basically like a wheel collar) and its important to use a threadlocker compound for that. (don't use threadlocker on plastic parts) The wing screws are designed so that they won't fall out, they stay in the wing after you detach the wing so that is a nice touch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_154310.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	273735

Comment

• Originally posted by CristianMarin View Post

I don't think retracts can supply power.
                              I think I may have made my response a bit too simplistic. Of course, retracts can't supply power. It's the power that is supplied to the retract (through the red wire) that provides power to the board that powers the lights. Evan just said it the best way.

Comment

• That's the pic I needed.....thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                  Its quite large! And it is very sharp looking.

It goes together fairly straight-forward and everything fits very well. There is a collar with a tiny screw that holds the stab on, its a metal-to-metal connection (basically like a wheel collar) and its important to use a threadlocker compound for that. (don't use threadlocker on plastic parts) The wing screws are designed so that they won't fall out, they stay in the wing after you detach the wing so that is a nice touch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_154310.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	273735
                                  That's a great touch made on those wing screws.Thanks for letting us know about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

That's a great touch made on those wing screws.Thanks for letting us know about that.
                                    Yeah its great and it works perfectly. They used a special screw. I only wish it was like this on their other planes, like the A10 for example. I guess it counts as an improvement!

Comment

• I'm glad y'all like the Tetris-style packing! Like the AL37, the MiG-29's box is an especially impressive feat considering the model's assembled size. The team responsible for building the puzzle packaging is top notch. Their work is above my skill set --I simply give them a target dimension range to control the shipping cost, and they work their magic. The foam packing is an entirely separate mold from the airplane itself, as well. Kudos to that team!

themudduck You sure got yours together quickly! It looks good on that bench. Nice place to start exercising those servos and setting up the radio and getting closer to maiden. When are you going up?

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Wow that digital camo is out of this world hey. Now the hard questions: to tiger or not to tiger

Comment

• FLIGHT REPORT

As one of the first few people to fly the Mig-29 here in the US, I figured I’d throw up my impressions of the aircraft and it’s general performance.

Simply put, it’s a very honest airframe. The MotionRC bird I flew had a gyro installed, but it absolutely didn’t need it. The large vertical tails and overall weight of the bird make it naturally very stable as Alpha designed it to be. The gusty conditions at CCRC that threw around the Gripen a bit, didn’t seem to phase the Mig at all.

CG’ing for my maiden on it was straight forward. I used the aft battery bay and the center with Admiral 5100 carbons and planned for a 4 minute flight. The CG was spot on without adjusting my initial battery placement, so I checked it 2 more times to make sure I wasn’t missing something as it seemed too easy.

The weight of the model first appears as you begin to taxi for the runway. It’s Freewings largest offering by weight and begins to show here. The wind gusts which would push around lighter models on the ground simply didn’t affect the Mig. It requires more power to taxi than many of us are used to with its higher weight, but rolls true and exhibited no tendency to tip as I turned to line up on the runway.

Acceleration was brisk and with no flaps I rotated within the first 100ft with a smooth and scale lift off, without the undesirable pop off of lighter models. Selecting gear up at lift off, I initially pitched into a 20° nose high attitude and she continued to accelerate til I had increased to around 40° of pitch where she seemed to hold speed and still climb rapidly.

At my crosswind turn I reduced to half power, with the gear already stowed. As I turned downwind she continued to accelerate at half throttle in level flight so I reduced further and prepared to turn in. This again is where the weight of the model became apparent, as a shallow dive back into the runway requires idle thrust to not accelerate any more. She holds momentum very well with her weight (Especially clean) and should be considered when setting up your initial maiden flight patterns.

Leading with the power just before leveling above runway I selected full power and she rapidly accelerated from idle. At the end of the (short) runway and approximately 90mph I smoothly pitched her large frame into the vertical. She has lots of power and it really showed here with the rapid acceleration and ability to keep her momentum into the vertical. After 200ft or so of climb, I rolled onto the right wing and let her nose slice through the horizon while coming back to idle and descending back to pattern altitude. Even at idle, her weight accelerated her to over 100mph. A couple points here as well. Her digital camo actually shows very well in the bright blue skies, unlike some other grey aircraft. Also, her large size will lend to flying further away than you might with other models. Keep this in mind as you set up your patterns for timing on gear and power applications.

I turned in pretty high for my second pass and kept her at idle until well over the runway then slowly added power to see where she flew in the slower range. She handles this very well and naturally goes into a nose high, high alpha attitude as she bleeds off the speed. Still with plenty of pitch control, adding nose up here immediately induce a sink while keeping full directional stability. I applied 25% power and held the same attitude to slow her descent, then applied full power to level off and then establish a climb until approximately 20° nose high. With a comfortable steep slow climb established, I pitched to around 30° where she would no longer accelerate, due to being on the backside of the power curve, (approximately 35-40mph) but would still climb away to clear the trees at the far end of the runway. Banking crosswind then downwind she exhibited no bad tendencies at slow speed as I banked and yawed.

Still slow as I leveled at pattern altitude I came back to 25% on the power and deployed half flaps where she held the same 35-40mph, then selected gear down as I turned the base leg. At this power setting and configuration she naturally lowered the nose without any trim or pitch adjustments from the downwind. Still at around 25% power I eased the nose down slightly to aim in front of the short runway and came to idle to hold a slightly nose down attitude and my current speed. Satisfied I could touch down on the beginning of the runway from my current position I started my go around. Gear down and flaps at approach, approximately 75% power allowed me to climb back to the pattern (as I hadn’t got on the backside of the power curve) and then flew the pattern as before.

On my second approach at approximately 3ft over the threshold, on speed with a slightly nose high attitude, FULL FLAPS this time, and approximately 40% power, I brought the power to idle and she settled beautifully onto the mains with a scale nose high touch down and wheelie rollout. The CCRC runway is around 400ft long, and the landing roll was around 220ft.

I flew a total of 5 flights with the Mig that day including a gaggle with other Freewing jets and the Mig-21 3 ship formation from today’s live show.

My impressions-
                                          The model fly’s incredibly well in all aspects of flight. Later loops and rolls as well as slow flight all revealed a well designed aircraft with zero bad tendencies when flown correctly. Zero, with over 45 EDFs of my own, and thousands of EDF flights now, I sincerely mean that.

She is a big model and her size and weight makes her fun, and presents new challenges to even the most experienced modelers who have only flown light EDFs with the ability to power out of all kinds of situations with very light wing loading.
                                          I truly believe everyone who owns one will come to love how she flies and respect the quality in her design and robustness in things like the landing gear.

My CAUTIONS-
                                          After reading the forums and FB posts for the last several weeks, many things stick out to me.

1. Flight time- This is a bigger model than most flyers have ever owned. With the fantastically powerful inrunner setup, you can bleed a pair of 6000mah batteries down quick running around at or near full power. This airplane flys really well at half throttle. Using 5000mah or bigger batteries, plan to be on deck after 3 min of useful throttle on the first few flights. Grow it by :15-:20 sec each flight as you learn how you fly her, and how she uses power.

2. Inertia- She holds her momentum really well and won’t bleed speed with an idle thrust dive for the runway like many people seem to do a lot. Gear and flaps help slow her down, but don’t get high and fast on an approach and force her down. She will happily sail off the end of a 500ft+ runway at rotation speed if you do that.
                                          I PROMISE.
                                          Set up a scale pattern, use your pitch to hold your speed and power to bring you down a shallow glide slope until you are used to bringing her in. If you are full flaps and gear out, and coming in at less than 20% power, you’re coming in too steep.

3. Slow Flight/Inertia- As well as she will hold speed and accelerate in a shallow dive, she will bleed speed just as quick when you get nose high and slow. Trying slow flight with her should be done with twice as much altitude as you think you’ll need to recover. Nose high with full power tail slides look fantastic with this model, but require a forward CG. Get the CG too far aft in slow flight, and she will happily fall all the way to the ground and pancake in with a nose high attitude.
                                          YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

In summation of my novel, (thanks for reading if you made it all the way through), this an amazing flying model who’s sales so far are justified in how she’s built and flys. I truly believe that everyone who flies their maidens with this advice and of course that of Alpha and the design team will find both joy and success.

If you know someone who has bought the model but doesn’t frequent the forums, point them to this forum and Alphas advice as well as the Thursday Live MotionRC show before their maiden.

I hope everyone enjoys their Migs and look forward to seeing everyone’s modifications and repaints!

Comment

Working...
                                          X