Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I don't like the tiger but also don't like the large blank grey area on the port stab. The starboard isn't too bad.

So I asked my wife... maybe I shouldn't have.

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
    Wow that digital camo is out of this world hey. Now the hard questions: to tiger or not to tiger

Comment

• Hey guys, Pat here (or as James would say Maj Croasdale), Just wanted to jump in to the chat. I'm excited to see everyone starting to get their MiGs! Mine just came in the mail today and I can't wait to get started on the assembly! With that I thought I would share a few things I found in flying this big beautiful bird.

1. She is big! I personally own several of the most recent large EDF offerings out there (to include the HSD F-16 and Eflite's SU-30) and the MiG is the biggest! So if this is your first big EDF be mindful of its size when moving it around. That pitot tube, and tails can be very easily bumped if you aren't paying very close attention to your surroundings.
      2. Two batts means twice the checking. Check your voltage....on both batts....every time. Check your CG every time. Switching out from 4000mah to 6000mah means a change in placement and putting it in the wrong place by accident will make you very sad... very quickly.
      3. Gentle Giant. Her size makes her a sweet flyer both in speed and maneuverability. She lands slow and rips up the sky with smooth rolls and pitch movements, that said, her ease of flight could get you feeling very confident very early. my technique is to ease into the more daring stuff. One of the ways I noticed her gentle nature can bite you is in high AOA (high "Alpha") This bird will definitely do it, but if you have her well balanced on the molded CG lines she can enter into a "deep" stall. This is where the aircraft horizontal stabilators loose the ability to control the aircraft's pitch, in essence you will remain in a high AOA with no elevator authority, and unlike the full scale jet, with not enough thrust to power you out of the high AOA. The only solution becomes to let her fall and naturally recover from the stall. This isn't a problem.....so long as you have altitude to trade for airspeed. Do it at 10 feet and you will wind up with a pancaked MiG on your runway (ask me how I know 😁) My best advice is start high and feel out where that "deep" stall occurs and get used to just how high the AOA can get and how slow she can stay in it.

If you keep those three things in mind while you get used to her I think you can have very successful maidens and subsequent experimental flights on her. I'm super excited to see everyone's videos start to pop up on youtube! Lets hear some of that bogie dope!
      Models current and qualified on!: Freewing; 90mm F-16, 80mm Mig-21, A-4, F-14, F-5, L-39, P-51 / Flexinnovation flexjet / HSD; 105mm F-16 / Flightline 1600mm Spitfire, B-24 / FMS; P-40b, F4U Corsair, Beaver (painted as an Army U-6), /Eflite; Carbon Z T-28, V900, P2 Prometheus, Pitts S1, umx Pitts, Champ, umx B-17, and a bunch of other small bits and bobs from hobbyking.

Comment

• themudduck You sure got yours together quickly! It looks good on that bench. Nice place to start exercising those servos and setting up the radio and getting closer to maiden. When are you going up?
        Hello Alpha, yes so far so good, it went together in under an hour and all seems to be OK. I've calibrated the ESCs and I'm adjusting the control throws and doing some tests. I have to wait until Sunday for the maiden, so I'm sure some others here will beat me to it!
        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Good reviews Justin and Pat . Also, an excellent write-up from Alpha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
            I'm glad y'all like the Tetris-style packing! Like the AL37, the MiG-29's box is an especially impressive feat considering the model's assembled size. The team responsible for building the puzzle packaging is top notch. Their work is above my skill set --I simply give them a target dimension range to control the shipping cost, and they work their magic. The foam packing is an entirely separate mold from the airplane itself, as well. Kudos to that team!

Thanks for that info. i was going to ask you about that in discord.

Comment

• I see a large box sitting on my front porch via the doorbell camera. First on time FedEx delivery since COVID and riots. Can’t wait to get off work! Think I feel a fever coming on and will have to stay home tomorrow.

Comment

• This is a large jet

Comment

• Family picture

Comment

• The canopy latch is very weak. A tiny, very flexible metal pin with no receptacle. It just sticks into the foam. Gonna need to modify that. Plus no thought was given to cooling the batteries. No vent holes.
                    Otherwise it is a very nice plane. First Foam plane I've recieved with no damage to any of the parts. Packaged very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post
                      The canopy latch is very weak. A tiny, very flexible metal pin with no receptacle. It just sticks into the foam. Gonna need to modify that.
                      Examine it a little closer. I've seen this on other Freewing/Flightline planes. If you imagine which way the canopy moves when you lift it without pulling the pin (as in when it flies off in the air accidentally), what does the pin go against? It's likely not just foam. It's likely a plastic barrier. If the pin doesn't go far enough into the foam so that it catches a decent amount of the plastic, then yes, you'll need to make the plastic part stick out more. This was the case with my OV-10 Bronco. I added thickness to the plastic with a thin piece of wood. You can also add a thin piece of plastic (old credit card or some such). It doesn't need a "receptacle" or more thickness if the pin catches the plastic part with sufficient depth. There are also magnets, yes/no?

Comment

• There are magnets, but the canopy is long and mine has a bit of a gap in the center of the canopy where the magnets are located. the front and rear of the canopy fit snug.
                        The latch does go thru the plastic film that is used to pull the canopy off. The latch pin is not beveled so as to allow the canopy to be put on without physically holding the latch in the open position while putting the canopy on. In other words, if you forget to hold the latch open when you put the canopy on, the pin gets bent. The pin is very soft and i'm guessing you will get to bend it back maybe 2 or 3 times before it breaks.

Comment

• Also just noticed that one of my rudder servo rods is about 1mm to long and poked thu the rod end and damaged the ball.

Comment

• Because I know I may break one of these at some point:

Attached Files

Comment

• Got home late from work tonight and found a fedex box on the porch. Opened it up and checked it over and it looks good except for some compression wrinkles on the bottom of the nacelles around the cheater intake. Dont think im going to worry about it cause it wont affect flying and this thing is big and heavy. I doubt im going to be flipping it over much to look at the bottom. I was supposed to go to bed, but instead have been up glueing the nose and starting to put hardware on it. Wont get to maiden until saturday, but its all good. I am planning on putting a coat of satin polyacrylic on it all before putting everything else together.

Comment

• Well got mine and started putting it together with no issues so far. Just wonder why the MCB-E and not the MCB-D control box? The type D allows for changes in gear door sequence and adding an extra AUX all through the wing connectors? I looked on the MRC site but did not find this. Anybody know where to get the complete set. Connector, ribbons and box.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                                  Well got mine and started putting it together with no issues so far. Just wonder why the MCB-E and not the MCB-D control box? The type D allows for changes in gear door sequence and adding an extra AUX all through the wing connectors? I looked on the MRC site but did not find this. Anybody know where to get the complete set. Connector, ribbons and box.
                                  The MCB-E has dual stage doors as far as I'm aware (door opens - gear deploys - door closes). You just need to bypass the ribbon.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

The MCB-E has dual stage doors as far as I'm aware (door opens - gear deploys - door closes). You just need to bypass the ribbon.
                                    Thanks, I saw that in prior posts but just wanted to be cleaner with additional options. Never seen or can find the "D" version anywhere

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                                      Because I know I may break one of these at some point:
                                      Hey thanks! Downloaded and stored. Now I can clumsily bang my plane into walls and door frames with confidence.

Comment

• How near are we to getting Mig 29 in the Eu distribution warehouse

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	615518EE-9300-4759-B41A-38244484E734.jpeg
Views:	919
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	273856 I have received mine. Glued together The fuselage. I pulled the blue box out and have run extensions for the wings. The receiver will go under the back Battery tray and the blue box for lights will go to the side of the back battery, pictures coming in a minute. While others have said they have no damage to their’s mine has finger print intentions and a couple things from the workers putting the parts in the box.

Comment

Working...
                                          X