Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My box arrived in the local area yesterday evening, but still shows Monday delivery. I'm thinking it will actually come tomorrow if it gets to the local distribution center today.
    Pat

Comment

• Comment

• The new phone books here

Comment

• I hope they still have more to ship. I got in before the cut off but no shipping notice yet. Has anyone else not had theirs shipped yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
            Because I know I may break one of these at some point:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game...c-detail-parts
            Hey there Dirty Dee, thanks a lot for these parts!!
            If I can offer a suggestion to you. This bird really needs a detailed gun port (the one on the model is simply an indentation) and I think that would be a terrific detail part to 3D print, if you're so inclined to do that. I noticed that there's also a refueling probe and a neat ladder.... fuel tank for the inboard pylon, 2-seat cockpit....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mig-29.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	273875

Click image for larger version  Name:	1920px-MiG-29_gun.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	273874

Hey guys, do you notice that the ejections seats are labeled "foward cockpit" and "rear cockpit"? Why is that? Did the test pilot get in the wrong seat and go, "you know, if there was only a sign..."
            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey there Dirty Dee, If I can offer a suggestion to you. This bird really needs a detailed gun port (the one on the model is simply an indentation) and I think that would be a terrific detail part to 3D print, if you're so inclined to do that. I noticed that there's also a refueling probe and a neat ladder....
              Good suggestions, I'll give them a thought. I'm planning on keeping mine stock until the winter and then dive into cutting/modding for any 3DPUPs, so should have updates in 2 months about.

Comment

• Elbee
                Elbee commented
                Editing a comment
                DD, Does this one come with a cockpit set or some facsimile? Looks like a prime candidate for 3DPUP. I am getting that funny "got to have one of these" feeling, and thus far there is no new Flightline Warbird, winter is coming, the Hornet is nearly finished, hmmmm. Best, LB

• Mine arrived yesterday. Hope to have time to open the box tonight.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Isn't the refueling probe only on the Mig-35? I don't think any variant of the 29 was ever equipped with one. I could be wrong though.
                Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey there Dirty Dee, thanks a lot for these parts!!
                  If I can offer a suggestion to you. This bird really needs a detailed gun port (the one on the model is simply an indentation) and I think that would be a terrific detail part to 3D print, if you're so inclined to do that. I noticed that there's also a refueling probe and a neat ladder.... fuel tank for the inboard pylon, 2-seat cockpit....

Click image for larger version Name:	Mig-29.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	273875

Click image for larger version Name:	1920px-MiG-29_gun.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	273874

Hey guys, do you notice that the ejections seats are labeled "foward cockpit" and "rear cockpit"? Why is that? Did the test pilot get in the wrong seat and go, "you know, if there was only a sign..."
                  I was definitely thinking the gun port/vents would be something to be added!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	615518EE-9300-4759-B41A-38244484E734.jpeg
Views:	919
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	273856 I have received mine. Glued together The fuselage. I pulled the blue box out and have run extensions for the wings. The receiver will go under the back Battery tray and the blue box for lights will go to the side of the back battery, pictures coming in a minute. While others have said they have no damage to their’s mine has finger print intentions and a couple things from the workers putting the parts in the box.
                    Hey Evan, are you sure you want to mount the RX under a huge pack of Lithium? Hard to tell from the picture, but I assume the aerials are long enough to go perpendicular to each other in directions that extend out and away from the battery, but if you just mounted the receiver where the blue was, it would be much more free and clear and less likely to get interfered with. A majority of the time your flying a jet, the top is going to be facing you more often, just feels risky to bury it under lithium (which 100% blocks signal) when so much space exists in the entire compartment.

I won't say anything about the ORX other than I didn't realize they were still around

Comment

• Originally posted by Captian Ronway View Post
                      The new phone books here
                      CR, ...I am somebody, I am somebody! Funny stuff. Welcome to "The Squawk". Glad you are onboard, SIr. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post
                        FLIGHT REPORT

As one of the first few people to fly the Mig-29 here in the US, I figured I’d throw up my impressions of the aircraft and it’s general performance.

Simply put, it’s a very honest airframe. The MotionRC bird I flew had a gyro installed, but it absolutely didn’t need it. The large vertical tails and overall weight of the bird make it naturally very stable as Alpha designed it to be. The gusty conditions at CCRC that threw around the Gripen a bit, didn’t seem to phase the Mig at all.

CG’ing for my maiden on it was straight forward. I used the aft battery bay and the center with Admiral 5100 carbons and planned for a 4 minute flight. The CG was spot on without adjusting my initial battery placement, so I checked it 2 more times to make sure I wasn’t missing something as it seemed too easy.

The weight of the model first appears as you begin to taxi for the runway. It’s Freewings largest offering by weight and begins to show here. The wind gusts which would push around lighter models on the ground simply didn’t affect the Mig. It requires more power to taxi than many of us are used to with its higher weight, but rolls true and exhibited no tendency to tip as I turned to line up on the runway.

Acceleration was brisk and with no flaps I rotated within the first 100ft with a smooth and scale lift off, without the undesirable pop off of lighter models. Selecting gear up at lift off, I initially pitched into a 20° nose high attitude and she continued to accelerate til I had increased to around 40° of pitch where she seemed to hold speed and still climb rapidly.

At my crosswind turn I reduced to half power, with the gear already stowed. As I turned downwind she continued to accelerate at half throttle in level flight so I reduced further and prepared to turn in. This again is where the weight of the model became apparent, as a shallow dive back into the runway requires idle thrust to not accelerate any more. She holds momentum very well with her weight (Especially clean) and should be considered when setting up your initial maiden flight patterns.

Leading with the power just before leveling above runway I selected full power and she rapidly accelerated from idle. At the end of the (short) runway and approximately 90mph I smoothly pitched her large frame into the vertical. She has lots of power and it really showed here with the rapid acceleration and ability to keep her momentum into the vertical. After 200ft or so of climb, I rolled onto the right wing and let her nose slice through the horizon while coming back to idle and descending back to pattern altitude. Even at idle, her weight accelerated her to over 100mph. A couple points here as well. Her digital camo actually shows very well in the bright blue skies, unlike some other grey aircraft. Also, her large size will lend to flying further away than you might with other models. Keep this in mind as you set up your patterns for timing on gear and power applications.

I turned in pretty high for my second pass and kept her at idle until well over the runway then slowly added power to see where she flew in the slower range. She handles this very well and naturally goes into a nose high, high alpha attitude as she bleeds off the speed. Still with plenty of pitch control, adding nose up here immediately induce a sink while keeping full directional stability. I applied 25% power and held the same attitude to slow her descent, then applied full power to level off and then establish a climb until approximately 20° nose high. With a comfortable steep slow climb established, I pitched to around 30° where she would no longer accelerate, due to being on the backside of the power curve, (approximately 35-40mph) but would still climb away to clear the trees at the far end of the runway. Banking crosswind then downwind she exhibited no bad tendencies at slow speed as I banked and yawed.

Still slow as I leveled at pattern altitude I came back to 25% on the power and deployed half flaps where she held the same 35-40mph, then selected gear down as I turned the base leg. At this power setting and configuration she naturally lowered the nose without any trim or pitch adjustments from the downwind. Still at around 25% power I eased the nose down slightly to aim in front of the short runway and came to idle to hold a slightly nose down attitude and my current speed. Satisfied I could touch down on the beginning of the runway from my current position I started my go around. Gear down and flaps at approach, approximately 75% power allowed me to climb back to the pattern (as I hadn’t got on the backside of the power curve) and then flew the pattern as before.

On my second approach at approximately 3ft over the threshold, on speed with a slightly nose high attitude, FULL FLAPS this time, and approximately 40% power, I brought the power to idle and she settled beautifully onto the mains with a scale nose high touch down and wheelie rollout. The CCRC runway is around 400ft long, and the landing roll was around 220ft.

I flew a total of 5 flights with the Mig that day including a gaggle with other Freewing jets and the Mig-21 3 ship formation from today’s live show.

My impressions-
                        The model fly’s incredibly well in all aspects of flight. Later loops and rolls as well as slow flight all revealed a well designed aircraft with zero bad tendencies when flown correctly. Zero, with over 45 EDFs of my own, and thousands of EDF flights now, I sincerely mean that.

She is a big model and her size and weight makes her fun, and presents new challenges to even the most experienced modelers who have only flown light EDFs with the ability to power out of all kinds of situations with very light wing loading.
                        I truly believe everyone who owns one will come to love how she flies and respect the quality in her design and robustness in things like the landing gear.

My CAUTIONS-
                        After reading the forums and FB posts for the last several weeks, many things stick out to me.

1. Flight time- This is a bigger model than most flyers have ever owned. With the fantastically powerful inrunner setup, you can bleed a pair of 6000mah batteries down quick running around at or near full power. This airplane flys really well at half throttle. Using 5000mah or bigger batteries, plan to be on deck after 3 min of useful throttle on the first few flights. Grow it by :15-:20 sec each flight as you learn how you fly her, and how she uses power.

2. Inertia- She holds her momentum really well and won’t bleed speed with an idle thrust dive for the runway like many people seem to do a lot. Gear and flaps help slow her down, but don’t get high and fast on an approach and force her down. She will happily sail off the end of a 500ft+ runway at rotation speed if you do that.
                        I PROMISE.
                        Set up a scale pattern, use your pitch to hold your speed and power to bring you down a shallow glide slope until you are used to bringing her in. If you are full flaps and gear out, and coming in at less than 20% power, you’re coming in too steep.

3. Slow Flight/Inertia- As well as she will hold speed and accelerate in a shallow dive, she will bleed speed just as quick when you get nose high and slow. Trying slow flight with her should be done with twice as much altitude as you think you’ll need to recover. Nose high with full power tail slides look fantastic with this model, but require a forward CG. Get the CG too far aft in slow flight, and she will happily fall all the way to the ground and pancake in with a nose high attitude.
                        YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

In summation of my novel, (thanks for reading if you made it all the way through), this an amazing flying model who’s sales so far are justified in how she’s built and flys. I truly believe that everyone who flies their maidens with this advice and of course that of Alpha and the design team will find both joy and success.

If you know someone who has bought the model but doesn’t frequent the forums, point them to this forum and Alphas advice as well as the Thursday Live MotionRC show before their maiden.

I hope everyone enjoys their Migs and look forward to seeing everyone’s modifications and repaints!
                        Thanks for write up and greatly appreciate it. Picked mine up last night. Still have the Blue Angels F-18 HP to assemble also.
                        Regards
                        Tim Toutant

Comment

• On this particular model and paint scheme, the entire panel area that contains the gun port and vents is done in bare metal, and I had intended to repaint this area accordingly. As for a 3DPUP part, I think it would be great to do a design that replaces that entire panel area so that it could be painted before installation. Then all you need to do is cut foam at the panel lines and install the printed part. I need to look into doing something like this.

Pat

Comment

• crxmanpat, I am starting to 'want' one of these. It is a neat aircraft by any standard. Certainly, ready for and worthy of many 3DPUP parts. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee that is the plan, similar caliber as what I created for the A-10. Maybe more efficient with the plastic use to keep the weight down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Some tips for those maidening their new birds:

1) I know this goes without saying, since pilots operating this MiG-29 are Expert level modelers, but it's worth emphasizing that the MiG-29's elevator servo horn must be set up per the manual as shown below. The middle hole is the only hole into which the control rod should be mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200908_175318.jpg
Views:	1547
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	273601

2)The recommended CG mark is molded into the airplane along the underside of its wings, so that's also a no-brainer there. We measured with the gear down and fingertips on the raised CG mark. Start at that position and adjust per your preferences on subsequent flights. I liked mine slightly aft of the CG we put in the manual, as usual, but that's just me.

3) There has been a lot of talk about this airplane's wide flight envelope, which it certainly has, but for initial flights I recommend flying the MiG-29 through a normal jet's flight pattern to get used to it. I would wager this is the largest foam jet most of you have ever flown, so with any plane that expands our previous skill sets, it's wise to take things slowly. Translation: Please avoid trying to hover on your first flight.

4) If you plan to install a gyro in this jet, or any airplane for that matter, I highly recommend programming a switch to remotely deactivate the gyro. During flight, especially when trying out slow-n-low high alpha passes, many gyros can get confused and try to level the aircraft by rolling back instead of pushing the nose down. Fighting the gyro in this condition is a losing battle. Again, none of this is new information for you seasoned pilots. Turn the gyro off, power up, push the nose down to regain airspeed and control authority, then fly out of the maneuver. Panic and pulling back on the stick while already near a standstill will not end well with a big jet like this.

5) As I try to remind everyone with any purchase, whether it be an all-new product or not, please review our warranty policies, contact tech support for any questions/concerns (224-633-9090 M-F CST), read the manual, program a High-Mid-Low rate for maiden, double-check throw direction, *range test*, and post your feedback for the community. Good, bad, or great, we'd all benefit from hearing everyone's experiences with their new bird. We've had lots of fun with our birds so far.

Flight characteristics, landing tips, and generally managing weight/momentum to preserve energy:

The Freewing twin 80mm MiG-29 is a large aircraft. Takeoffs are smooth with zero to minimal flaps, and minimal elevator input. I get the gear clean as soon as I'm off the ground. Assuming you're flying without ordnance, you'll notice that the MiG retains its momentum very well, so use that to your advantage and avoid wasting battery by entering into maneuvers before applying throttle. Rather, power up beforehand and enter into maneuvers with speed, reducing throttle during the actual maneuver. Our flight videos show the MiG-29 can be flown for three minutes or double that time, depending primarily on how the model's energy is managed by the pilot. If you're landing empty at two and a half minutes, you're doing it wrong.

After your initial trim passes, start shooting lower and lower gear passes. You'll notice that the MiG-29 takes on a predictable, slightly nose-high sink rate with the gear down and minimal throttle to manage its descent. I strongly advise using throttle to manage descent rather than over-controlling the elevator. A shallow flare onto the mains first is better than a three point touchdown. I push the elevator full forward to give the nose wheel more authority throughout rollout. I tend to land without flaps for the first couple flights, so I can observe the authority imparted by the stabs alone. Too much flap may also partially blank the stabs if you're landing too shallow, which is another reason to initially use less if not none. Once you've mastered the best landing angle, then gradually feed in more flaps on subsequent flights to your taste. Of course, a three position switch for flaps will allow you to observe three conditions during three separate passes in the same flight, to see which you like best.

The MiG-29 lands closer to the F-18 than the F-22. The MiG-29's struts don't have a tendency to bounce, unless you pancake the model from shin height. For those of you who have flown the AL37, the MiG-29 can land with a similar nose up and long rollout on the mains at a similar power setting. So, have that image in your mind when you're on approach.

If you find yourself in a bad vector on approach or during landing, relax the elevator and power up for a go around. On a low pass, try to avoid sudden throttle pumps to maximum when you're below mid-shin height (ground effect), especially when the gear is up, otherwise you risk FOD. It is better to pitch the nose slightly upward to gain altitude to knee height before going to full throttle.

Have fun!
                                I love this post Alpha. Sometime people may be wrapped up in the excitement of it all that the little things get overlooked.

Comment

• Well FedEx showed up this morning instead of Saturday. Whoot Whoot.

I do want to give Alpha and the design team a tip of the hat.

What a nice little touch. Storage pockets for the ribbon cable plugs when wings are removed. #DetailsMeanSomething #Mig29

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post
                                    Well FedEx showed up this morning instead of Saturday. Whoot Whoot.

I do want to give Alpha and the design team a tip of the hat.

What a nice little touch. Storage pockets for the ribbon cable plugs when wings are removed. #DetailsMeanSomething #Mig29

Very nice touch !

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrcdude View Post
                                      I hope they still have more to ship. I got in before the cut off but no shipping notice yet. Has anyone else not had theirs shipped yet?
                                      Hi wvrcdude I'd recommend that you call 224-633-9090, M-F 8am-6pm CST, to have the support team look into your order and its whereabouts.

Jdcrow Thanks for noticing! We did a similar thing on the AL37 and I think it looks so neat! Both the AL37 and MiG-29 were developed during the same time period, so they share some of those creature comforts.

Although, the MiG-29 was later in the pipeline and got the main wing's screw savers.
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Hi wvrcdude I'd recommend that you call 224-633-9090, M-F 8am-6pm CST, to have the support team look into your order and its whereabouts.

Jdcrow Thanks for noticing! We did a similar thing on the AL37 and I think it looks so neat! Both the AL37 and MiG-29 were developed during the same time period, so they share some of those creature comforts.

Although, the MiG-29 was later in the pipeline and got the main wing's screw savers.
                                        Hey Alpha,

I highly recommend programming a switch to remotely deactivate the gyro. During flight, especially when trying out slow-n-low high alpha passes, many gyros can get confused and try to level the aircraft by rolling back instead of pushing the nose down.

This is really interesting as I lost my FW 90mm 6S F-4 the other day and this may be why. I was running an AS3X receiver with a decent amount of gain programmed it was not a maiden and had no oscillation prior at full throttle at that gain setting. I had a fairly steep climb out after rotation and turned left to start my downwind leg. I didn't think I was approaching a stall but it suddenly went nose up un-commanded and then into a flat spin. Not enough altitude to recover and a made the classic mistake of chopping the throttle when it pitched vertical. Do you think this may have been induced by the gyro?

Comment

Working...
                                        X