Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MiG is ready for maiden flight, I ended up replacing the elevator servos with some Hitec 5085’. Moved the blue box under the rear battery tray, tailerons, Castle BEC, and gear door mode done. Had to carve some foam from the canopy to get the correct CG using RT 5500 45c. Gave the armament some color and I’m glad I did.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	12E47086-AB6F-43A2-A97A-804264A108EC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	274909 Since the loss of an F-4 due to ball link failure, I went overkill on the MiG. The stock elevator pushrod is much improved. But, I built new ones using 4-40 threaded rod, and heavy duty DU-BRO race car ball link hardware with SAFETY LOCK KWIK-LINKS for the servo. Overkill for sure, but easy to do for piece of mind. DU-BRO also sells the threaded rods. I don’t ever want to see a bird going down like the F-4 did.

I use 1/2 flaps on take off, full flaps on landing, no EXPO, No elevator/flap mix, and 80% D/R on elevator and aileron and 70% elevator for LOW rate.
      Love this, gliderguy. Exactly the setup I'll go for.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post
        Immediately following each of our maiden flights, Jeremy and I launched a live FB formation flight. The video is lower resolution from FB, but I uploaded it to YouTube for those not on FB.

The original CenterBurner line of simulated afterburner lighting systems is the world’s best and most trusted simulated afterburner lighting system! Designed around a custom built LED light boards, it provides a center "glow" and flame effect like a full size jet aircraft afterburner!
        Thanks for sharing, that's such a nice flying site. Sharp flying for being only your 2nd flight on both birds!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• My maiden flight yesterday before my FB Live formation flight.
          5 flights total for the day on the original/stock 17G servos. She is solid and flys the same as my maiden report on MotionRCs Mig.
          I flew 2 5500mah 70C Roaring Tops. Aft and Middle bay, as far back as possible in both.
          Short easy flight and 3.95v/cell after.

Rocking The RC Geek centerburners, and the Model Sounds Inc. Shockwave 3 Sound card. Fantastic combo.

The original CenterBurner line of simulated afterburner lighting systems is the world’s best and most trusted simulated afterburner lighting system! Designed around a custom built LED light boards, it provides a center "glow" and flame effect like a full size jet aircraft afterburner!

Comment

• JLambCWU what CG did you ended up with?

Comment

• Travis Elbert and his new MiG-29

Comment

• Last night on the Discord chat Alpha was talking about doing a 3D design to replace the flimsy fins on the missiles as an on-board video showed how much they were flapping in the breeze, which of course means added drag. I have some very detailed pics from turbosquid where others have done some really nice 3D designs of the R-73 and R-27 missiles, and used them as a guide to make these. All you have to do is peel off the current fins and then glue these in place.

Almost done with the front fins, then will get a set printed to check fit and scale.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R-73 Rear Fins.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	275007
                Click image for larger version  Name:	R-73 Rear Fins Detail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	275006
                Click image for larger version  Name:	R-73 Rear Fins Detail 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	275005

Here's a pic I downloaded from turbosquid showing the fine details.

Click image for larger version  Name:	07x.pngDA956783-64F7-4D3E-B616-01B5BB193B46DefaultHQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	275008
                Pat

Comment

• Pat - Excellent! You guys with 3D capability!!!!

I took the old school approach and cut 8 lengths from a wire puller (another MRC bird left-over) and bent each of them to follow the perimeter outline of the flappy fins. Glued the wire to the bottom of each fin and painted it. You cannot see it, and the fins are rock-solid stiff. Took me about an hour.
                  -GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Rod Musgjerd View Post
                    Travis Elbert and his new MiG-29
                    This picture makes me so happy, thanks for sharing Rod Musgjerd of Travis' MiG.

crxmanpat I completely forgot yesterday to draw those, thanks for doing them instead, they look great.

SERVO UPDATE:

We received Servo Upgrade Sets today, so for those of you who already received your MiGs in hand, tomorrow (Thursday) don't be surprised if you all start to see an email for a $0.00 Warranty Order. For the many MiGs that are still at the US Warehouse, we plan on inserting the Servo Upgrade Set into your MiG's PNP box and shipping it starting on Friday. For the MiGs arriving at the EU Warehouse later this month, they will also include the Servo Upgrade Set. So everyone is covered.

In our website's Product Update section, we've also published a guide in both text and video showing how to swap the servo:

https://www.motionrc.eu/pages/produc...n-80mm-edf-jet

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      I completely forgot yesterday to draw those, thanks for doing them instead, they look great.
                      It's funny how quickly we get sidetracked on the chats.

Pat

Comment

• Right on Alpha. I think you guys are standing up and doing the right thing. These jets are just getting too big and quick, ya know?! I would add to watch for too conservative nose heavy CGs in future engineering as well. Thanks for all you do!
                        Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Lol cutting off the outer hole on the new servo arms is a nice touch. People gonna have to really go out of their way to get this wrong now!

Comment

• Thanks Rod and Alpha
                            The mig is actually my buddy’s but I am lucky enough to put it together and test fly it.
                            I had five guys out tonight to check it out . They where very impressed
                            Three of them are thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Motion has another winner!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                              JLambCWU what CG did you ended up with?
                              Balanced on Stock CG marks. Needed about 1.5mm of nose up trim below the fuselage chine

Comment

Speaker setup or exciters setup?

Comment

Balanced on Stock CG marks. Needed about 1.5mm of nose up trim below the fuselage chine
                                  Sounds as expected then.

A fair bit of tuning necessary in other words
                                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Any chance of a super hornet or SU-27 coming out in this size?
                                    I just cannot get over the looks of a mig 29.
                                    That has to be the ugliest modern fighter flying today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post

Speaker setup or exciters setup?
                                      Twin exciters mounted under the upper surface on both sides of the aft battery, right about even the CG marks!

Comment

• Thanks Motion!

Motion has posted the upgraded servo installation instructions on their site, They sniped the outer hole off so you can't put the push rod there and they are giving us a long Y to bypass the MCBe and plug them straight to the receiver.

They also say to put the servo arm perpendicular to the fuselage, Since the pushrods angle out I moved mine one spline and that gave me equal travel up and down. But I also used the inner hole on mine to get better mechanical advantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thehoker View Post
                                          Any chance of a super hornet or SU-27 coming out in this size?
                                          I just cannot get over the looks of a mig 29.
                                          That has to be the ugliest modern fighter flying today.
                                          I pitty your taste but I subscribe your want for other big birds.

Rather than a Su-27, I'd go for a Su-30SM or Su-57 though... none done yet (properly), and they are much, much cooler than the 27 IMO

(2m foam jet beast anyone?? :DDD)

Comment

Working...
                                          X