Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
    Here's a sneak peak at the decal set:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	shaddap.png Views:	0 Size:	10.2 KB ID:	275418
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
      Anybody working on a good 3D print of the gun port?
      LOL that's what I said a ways back. I hope so!! GO Crxman, go!
      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• With a lot of wind here and waiting on servos I looked at the next weakest links. Better ball links with washers to capture it, larger bolt holding it to the control horn, 2/56 push rod with better carbon reinforcement and a Z bend at the servo.

I am also surprised at the two tiny screws holding the horn on so I put in longer ones and added a touch of glue to the horn and screws.

.Click image for larger version  Name:	EC974EB8-6F74-474D-B8B9-8C09DF7489E7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	275431 Click image for larger version  Name:	D74E8AFE-F67C-42C9-AB3B-71C93A9BF800.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	275432

Comment

• Update on post #1224....nose gear not retracting...

I made several flights (early and before investigating the retract action). Was careful to get the gear up early and also keep her somewhat slow(er) after liftoff and kept the flaps at 1/2 until I could see the gear was up.

That solved the issue. Not once in 10 flights did the nose gear hang during retraction.

I still intend to investigate the retract action on a stand. I will provide an update as to what I discover.

UPDATE...Here is where the nose gear can/may hang if the gear door blows inward.....

Definitely prevents the gear from completing the retract cycle. But....if not here then for sure the wheel will catch on the outside of the door. Planning to increase the strength of the door springs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	15488362-CA84-4B63-AA44-389CB96CD42D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	275448

-GG
          Attached Files

Comment

• Evan D same thing I intend to do as well, a much better set up.

Wind? It’s only gusting up over 20mph. :)

Comment

• Does anyone got some STL File or a link to a shop for a original looking russian jet fighter pilot? Its time to have one for that great bird! I dont like the usual more western style jet pilot on all freewing jets. Its time for such a guy in the cockpit

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                Update on post #1224....nose gear not retracting...

I made several flights (early and before investigating the retract action). Was careful to get the gear up early and also keep her somewhat slow(er) after liftoff and kept the flaps at 1/2 until I could see the gear was up.

That solved the issue. Not once in 10 flights did the nose gear hang during retraction.

I still intend to investigate the retract action on a stand. I will provide an update as to what I discover.

UPDATE...Here is where the nose gear can/may hang if the gear door blows inward.....

Definitely prevents the gear from completing the retract cycle. But....if not here then for sure the wheel will catch on the outside of the door. Planning to increase the strength of the door springs.

Click image for larger version Name:	15488362-CA84-4B63-AA44-389CB96CD42D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	275448

-GG
                I can't really see exactly what your picture is showing and I don't have this plane till next week, but if it's anything like the mechanism on my other planes, I don't think it's a matter of the door spring, at least not entirely. By what I can see in the picture, check the rod that is connected to that door. Maybe it's just too short. Lengthening it may allow the door to open more, like the one on the other side.

Comment

• So US is getting the second batch and Europe nothing? Not happy...

Comment

• Maiden +1 today. Stock, RC Geek twin burner, RoaringTop 5800 and 6250 (flew one set of each today). This thing handles like a dream. Happy camper here! Nothing special that has not already been reported. Replacement servos due in today or Monday. I will take them with me on my trip and swap them there (though based on today's flights the stock servos seem just fine to me).

So when I got home today, I started working on the little details that I did not get to before maiden as I was busy working on decals and 3D parts. First order of business was to get some aluminum tape inside the exhaust ducts to maximize the AB effect.

After pulling the fan cover off and doing that, I got to thinking about how best to run the tape through the ducts (I hate this part). But all of a sudden a lightbulb went off! We are supposed to be able to easily remove the exhaust section so that we can modify it with the soon to be released TV unit. So I thought to myself, let me see what that's all about, and maybe it will make it easier for me to install the tape.

Turns out it's a very simple process to remove the area to be replaced with the TV units. First thing is to remove the fan hatch, then cut away the foam nozzle. In the pics you can see that it is just simply glued onto the rear of the plane, and the inside radius has a lip of foam to make sure it is properly aligned. Take a sharp knife and cut around the leading edge of the nozzle (if you are doing this just to install reflective tape, you are going to reuse this nozzle, so be careful not to cut through the foam lip). Slowly peel away the nozzle from the duct. You may need to look in the gap and cut glue strings as you do this. If you pull it away slowly, it should come off without any damage.

Once the nozzle is removed, take the knife and cut down the glue seams starting from the fan hatch back towards the rear. Note that on the outer seam, there is a plastic part (elevator support assembly) that has an extrusion up into the foam near the nozzle. Cut to that extrusion on the outside, then move inside the duct and cut there. The inner seam is a little trickier to cut when both ducts are still on. Work the first one from the inside as much as possible. Once you get one off, the other is easier to do. Once the cuts are done, carefully peel away the bottom portion. Again, you may need to cut glue strings as you go.

After that, you're ready to install the TV units! Or in my case, lay down the aluminum tape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5603.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	275459
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5604.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	275460
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5607.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	275461
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5608.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	275462
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5606.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	275463
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5609.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	275464
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5610.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	275465
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5605.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	275466
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5611.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	275467
                    Pat

Comment

• Hi Xviper - No servo driven rods...it is all spring action as you will see when yours arrives.

I had some shorter/stiffer springs. Should be fine now. I noticed there are two places the spring can seat. Maybe just moving to the other place will also work.

-GG

Comment

• Update to post #1244

The stronger/shorter springs solved it. Nothing special is now required in terms of speed management after takeoff. The nose gear comes up regardless. No hangs at all now.

My assumption was correct....the door was blowing inward and causing the nose gear to hang up on it.

-GG

Comment

• I also added another round landing light on the other side. The nose gear’s slide bar was blocking the light in some approaches. I fly a lot before sunrise and after sunset and use the landing light’s relative position to the position lights on the wing for pitch information.

So, adding a second light solved the blanking/blocking issue. There is plenty of room for the second lamp.

-GG

Comment

• Flew her 5 times today! no issues!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                              Third flight, pushed it a bit more. Tailerons and CG one finger width back from stock. Servos in elevators are Hitec 5085.
                              Looking better for sure.
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                Update on post #1224....nose gear not retracting...

Click image for larger version Name:	15488362-CA84-4B63-AA44-389CB96CD42D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	275448

-GG
                                Be careful with adding stronger springs.

The retract unit having to fight the door is a big enough concern as it is, without further adding to it.

If you go that route, at least make sure to run a beefier BEC

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Be careful with adding stronger springs.

The retract unit having to fight the door is a big enough concern as it is, without further adding to it.

If you go that route, at least make sure to run a beefier BEC
                                  Thanks!
                                  Watching the retract action, the shaft contacts the door closure arms only at the very last part of the retract process and sees the load only for a very short time. I am more concerned about the load on the servo from a jammed gear. The stronger springs remove that malfunction / concern.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                    I think no one has posted this yet, so there I go... TV nozzles for the MiG-29 popped up today at MotionRC live show!

Like how the horns on these look much more sturdy than the original Su-35 nozzles.
                                    That should offer a very precise control!

#hype

I think every freewing Jet should have an optional tv upgrade like this. Its genius and gives the option for people to buy their jets with of without tv

Comment

• Here is another flight on the MiG 29. Definitely pushing the limit. Part of the video was out of focus but the best part, @1:25, is worthy of watching. During the take off, the main gear got caught on the door, I did the mod where the doors close with the gear down, I’m thinking the extra cross wind didn’t allow for the door to fully open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                                        Here is another flight on the MiG 29. Definitely pushing the limit. Part of the video was out of focus but the best part, @1:25, is worthy of watching. During the take off, the main gear got caught on the door, I did the mod where the doors close with the gear down, I’m thinking the extra cross wind didn’t allow for the door to fully open.
                                        Thanks! This was by far the most interesting footage of this model this far - well done

Comment

• That's what we're talking about!

I also have the doors closing when down and had the main hang up once. I slowed down the airspeed and cycled it and it went up no issues...

Comment

Working...
                                          X